• Please note that we've updated the Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord save file system which requires you to take certain steps in order for your save files to be compatible with e1.7.1 and any later updates. You can find the instructions here.

What's on your mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Adorno

Bedroom Assassin
Archduke
WBNWM&BVC
Yes. I was just naming some important players in the shaping of the economy. I don't have a full political program for you :smile:
(The EU also has worker representation but they sadly have little influence).

NPC99

Baron
M&BWBWF&SVC
100% wrong. This idea of the 'ethical' or 'conscious' consumer arose sometime around the 1980's (and beame very manifest in the 1990's). Consumers can't regulate anything. They're not a well informed, organised group of people, and they have the memory of a hamster. Try and remember big boycotts of days of yore, like against Nike (with their child labour): nothing happened. Nike is still a huge, well functioning company. Or look a the crimes of facebook making more money than ever.
But putting the responsibility on the consumer to (ethically) regulate the market conveniently removes some of that responsibility from the politicians, organisations and other actors who actually regulate the market.
Politicians, the EU, WTO, IMF etc. is where the work lies.
I said few of us look. However, some campaigns have long term effects. When was the last time you bought an egg laid by a battery chicken as opposed to a free range egg? Would you buy your wife/girlfriend/partner furs?

eddiemccandless

Knight at Arms
WBNWVC
I bet "human resources" would become a non-PC phrase at some point for exactly that reason, while the reality behind it would stay the same.

Also, how do you propose to disentangle the financial industry ethics of fear and greed from the public companies' imperatives (which are ROI and stock price growth despite platitudes in mission statements)?
I think it's a cultural problem in the US and I don't really have a solution to that. In Italy it is not quite there yet, although we are doing our best to learn the worst habits from Americans. I do personally know a very successful entrepreneur in center Italy who is ridiculously loaded, but also takes genuine pride in his craft and wouldn't compromise on quality even if it promised better profits. He also takes pride in taking care of his employees, who he sees as his people. This started out as a family business and is now what one would consider a medium sized enterprise. I guess that once you grow really big it is difficult to not devolve into a greedy ******* company.

So, clearly, the only solution is to pass a law forbidding companies from having more than 100 employees. That should do the trick.

Mom and dad seem to have won Greencards. They didn't literally win it yet, but they were selected in the lottery and the interview doesn't seem to be selective at all if the random internet people are to be trusted
They returned from their exploratory trip to the States. They made up their mind now, my dad will go before the spring and become a lorry driver. My mum and sister will settle in a suburb of Chicago in the summer. My dad insists on getting me an entrepreneur visa by founding a company in the States and making us all work in a family business. I don't know what to do yet.

DanAngleland

Grandmaster Knight
M&BWBWF&SNW
Your business could be loaning out your father to act as a father figure to expat Turks who miss their father. I can't write the rest of the business plan, you've got to stand on your own two feet sooner or later.

I advise your mother and sister to shoot someone as soon as possible; from what I understand this will help them fit in. Having said that, I know little of Chicago other than it was fun to drive around in Midtown Madness, and that Frank Sinatra was fond of it.

I wish you and your family good luck!

Top Bottom