Unactualized potential of multiplayer

Users who are viewing this thread

momcilo94

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Imagine this, you hop into multiplayer. A menu opens up where you can make your own custom character. You pick his armor and gear. You create your own custom weapon using the crafting system from singleplayer. If you are a duelist you matchmake and drop into an arena and start slashing foes with the glorious Noobslayer you just made. If you are a battle player, you make your own clan, design your own banner and head into battle with your own custom clan who all have their own customized gear while they wear the banner you just designed. From all this epicness you cannot contain your excitement anymore. You suddenly wake up, hop onto your PC and launch Bannerlord, as the horrible realization suddenly sets, everything is mostly preset.

i cri

Make it more like Mercs and cRPG

Momchilo said:
Imagine this, you hop into multiplayer. A menu opens up where you can make your own custom character. You pick his armor and gear. You create your own custom weapon using the crafting system from singleplayer. If you are a duelist you matchmake and drop into an arena and start slashing foes with the glorious Noobslayer you just made. If you are a battle player, you make your own clan, design your own banner and head into battle with your own custom clan who all have their own customized gear while they wear the banner you just designed. From all this epicness you cannot contain your excitement anymore. You suddenly wake up, hop onto your PC and launch Bannerlord, as the horrible realization suddenly sets, everything is mostly preset.

i cri

Make it more like Mercs and cRPG

I prefer Mercs over the vanilla experience aswell but most won't, It gives a sense of progression but most people want to play with boring presets.

578 said:
I prefer Mercs over the vanilla experience aswell but most won't, It gives a sense of progression but most people want to play with boring presets.

Doesn't even have to be a progression system, the customization is the important part. Hell man, that SP weapon crafting video made me so hyped imagine that in MP.

Just wait for modders to solve this problem tbh. As said previously, common Bannerlord players wont like this kind of setting.
Yet, if there will be something like cRPG, you can be sure there will be a lot of people playing it.

TheBlackVampire said:
Just wait for modders to solve this problem tbh. As said previously, common Bannerlord players wont like this kind of setting.
Yet, if there will be something like cRPG, you can be sure there will be a lot of people playing it.

Don't see a reason why common players wouldn't like it tbh. Also, you could implement both at the same time, have presets and then let those presets be customized. Can't leave everything for the modders to fix.

Its a very make it or break it situation. Warband has been an extremely fun multiplayer game when it comes to native but without much thought into it when it comes everything else other than combat. Although, certain presets in factions means you get to choose from many, many different roles across all factions with preset statuses. I like mercs or crpg in this matter because you get gold based on performance, can upgrade gear and have a general direction. It makes you feel like a mercenary. Gather gold, buy gear. Simple and good. And after you finish a character you either go for another class or save up and buy the very expensive gear (which in many cases is slightly better but you do it for the cosmetics mostly). Of course, the problem in a customizable mod like these 2 is the balance. You customize your attributes. Which can lead to extremely unbalanced stuff, like agility awlpikes that get insane speed bonuses and can be obnoxious to fight against. Or fully armored characters who tank, and need up to 7-8 quick slashes to die. In bannerlord there is a mix of the native + mercs because you get to choose between a class and a pool of perks. I dont quite like it as I like the mercs system but I am very positive will actually make a mercenaries inspired mod. It's extremely underrated in my opinion as a mod. We will see how bannerlord plays out with the hybrid preset+perks system even though I still prefer the all armor customizable way. You feel more personal with your character imho.

Hmm, something like mercenaries indeed. Creating a custom weapon in single player is alright. But in multiplayer you are just a common soldier of a faction you are playing as. Plain footman for example. Might be good for duel or deathmatch, kinda reminds me of jedi knight jedi academy.  Creating a custom banner with already present templates is fine, and i dont see a reason why not. Uploading custom textures so that every player on the server can see them can and i guarantee will be abused.

578 said:
Its a very make it or break it situation. Warband has been an extremely fun multiplayer game when it comes to native but without much thought into it when it comes everything else other than combat. Although, certain presets in factions means you get to choose from many, many different roles across all factions with preset statuses. I like mercs or crpg in this matter because you get gold based on performance, can upgrade gear and have a general direction. It makes you feel like a mercenary. Gather gold, buy gear. Simple and good. And after you finish a character you either go for another class or save up and buy the very expensive gear (which in many cases is slightly better but you do it for the cosmetics mostly). Of course, the problem in a customizable mod like these 2 is the balance. You customize your attributes. Which can lead to extremely unbalanced stuff, like agility awlpikes that get insane speed bonuses and can be obnoxious to fight against. Or fully armored characters who tank, and need up to 7-8 quick slashes to die. In bannerlord there is a mix of the native + mercs because you get to choose between a class and a pool of perks. I dont quite like it as I like the mercs system but I am very positive will actually make a mercenaries inspired mod. It's extremely underrated in my opinion as a mod. We will see how bannerlord plays out with the hybrid preset+perks system even though I still prefer the all armor customizable way. You feel more personal with your character imho.

I think having experience and skill disparity exacerbated by making players who play longer literally stronger, it will be very bad for the game overall. Native is bad enough with the best killers being rewarded with gear to make them harder to kill...

A sense of progression is of course the only real upside to your system imho but it just ****s over newer players a lot imho.

Also lots of people like the faction gameplay because it feels like they are in an organized unit with all the matching/similar uniforms and gear and such. Choosing your own stuff eliminates this to a significant degree.

I'd love to see a mod where it's like the Real Time Strategy Stronghold, or Stronghold Crusader then fused with Persistent World. It could be like Captain mode but instead  you gather A.I. peasants > serfs > mastersmith > Quarrymen > Woodcutter > Build castle, Structures based on the faction you are in > archer > infantry > cavalry > engineer.  Each map will have resource nodes such as trees, stone, iron, bronze/silver/gold depending on the enviroment also troop types based on the faction.

I think it could also work in a 200 - 400 server or whatever the multiplayer cap is... never know until it comes out.

Byas said:
I'd love to see a mod where it's like the Real Time Strategy Stronghold, or Stronghold Crusader then fused with Persistent World. It could be like Captain mode but instead  you gather A.I. peasants > serfs > mastersmith > Quarrymen > Woodcutter > Build castle, Structures based on the faction you are in > archer > infantry > cavalry > engineer.  Each map will have resource nodes such as trees, stone, iron, bronze/silver/gold depending on the enviroment also troop types based on the faction.

I think it could also work in a 200 - 400 server or whatever the multiplayer cap is... never know until it comes out.

Sounds like a dream of many gamers, the game Of Kings and Men tried to pull that system off,

Its dead tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ODcC5z6Ca0

Anyway people, customization can can be done without implementing a progression system.

Huggles said:
578 said:

I think having experience and skill disparity exacerbated by making players who play longer literally stronger, it will be very bad for the game overall. Native is bad enough with the best killers being rewarded with gear to make them harder to kill...

A sense of progression is of course the only real upside to your system imho but it just **** over newer players a lot imho.

Also lots of people like the faction gameplay because it feels like they are in an organized unit with all the matching/similar uniforms and gear and such. Choosing your own stuff eliminates this to a significant degree.

Basically this. I'm against any system that adds an artificial, persistent advantage to any player in essence of putting more time into the game than others. It's the most unwelcoming system to newcomers and is, at its very core, unfair and unbalanced. I want to fight and beat players fairly, not in virtue of having better stats or equipment. The only acceptable "advantage" you should ever have is the natural skill advantage you acquire through experiencing the game in your own way.

If what is being suggested is SOLELY cosmetic customization, then I personally have nothing against it, but full open customization wouldn't really fit into the "battling factions" mold that Bannerlord already has set.

Mordhau might be able to quench your customization needs though.

The problem with new players is not the gearing system but the complexity of combat, unstoppable feint spams and a general lack of proper tutorial systems to teach each and one how to utilize footwork, swing animation manipulation and proper timing on attacks. I would still support a balanced progression system. Don't look at mercs for this, because the balance is not there. Although the best scenario for Bannerlord would be to indeed have cosmetic only progression through playing or doing certain achievements in official servers.

Regarding Mordhau, I cant wait for it to release so more people get dissapointed and go back to warband.

Lagstro said:
Huggles said:
578 said:

A sense of progression is of course the only real upside to your system imho but it just **** over newer players a lot imho.

Basically this. I'm against any system that adds an artificial, persistent advantage to any player in essence of putting more time into the game than others. It's the most unwelcoming system to newcomers and is, at its very core, unfair and unbalanced. I want to fight and beat players fairly, not in virtue of having better stats or equipment. The only acceptable "advantage" you should ever have is the natural skill advantage you acquire through experiencing the game in your own way.

If what is being suggested is SOLELY cosmetic customization, then I personally have nothing against it, but full open customization wouldn't really fit into the "battling factions" mold that Bannerlord already has set.

Mordhau might be able to quench your customization needs though.

I am for something in between. Having gears and custom made weapons with different stats, but I wouldn't want to see it locked behind a progression wall, but simply unlocked for everyone and each piece of gear would have a positive and a negative trade off.

As far as balance goes, the current system is not balanced, as certain factions are stronger than others, certain weapons better than others. Take duel for example, most used weapon is a greatsword and most common faction the Swadia. Now hop into a duel server for a mod like Mercenaries, and you will see a lot more diversity.

And yes it doesn't fit into the current system of faction versus faction. But that system is not good for multiplayer imo as you cannot identify or relate yourself to one specific factions because you have to switch around all the time. A place for that is singleplayer, where you spend more time in a given faction and have more freedom of choice.

I believe Red Orchestra 2 did it right: you had character progression in two ways (I'm speaking from memory so I might be wrong, I'll research when I have a bit of time later):

- Cosmetic:

The more you leveled up with each individual faction the more veteran your soldier looked, with battle scars, medals, etc.

This could translate in BL to having a couple of tiers to captain mode presets that look a bit more experienced through cosmetic changes just to show you are a player who favors light infantry and thus has more "veteran" looking soldiers.

- Guns:

As you gained proficiency with some guns you would unlock very (and I mean very) minor upgrades like removed sight hood for the k98 (meaning you could see your target slightly better).

Leveling weapons up required tons of hours invested into a single type and the upgrades were never really something that broke the balance but just a nice little touch to reward you for your persistence + skill. BL could allow you to gain minor upgrades if you invested enough hours into a class and the upgrades would not break the balance (i.e: 5-10% faster reload speed) but they would be something highly engaged players would aim to unlock and use. Maybe in a competitive environment this slight upgrade could mean an advantage but competitive matches would potentially be able to remove said upgrades through a checkbox in the server settings.

Personally I just hope for cosmetic customization in multiplayer, and if I felt like playing something with more progression or different stats I'd go for a mod like Mercenaries (which seeing the appeal I have no doubt it will make its appearance in Bannerlord, or a similar mod, anyway).

But yes, I also got really excited when I saw the weapon crafting and thought how awesome it would be to have my own custom sword in multiplayer, then I also thought of possible balance issues and at that point I'd rather have it in a Mercenaries equivalent mod than the base game.

Momchilo said:
I am for something in between. Having gears and custom made weapons with different stats, but I wouldn't want to see it locked behind a progression wall, but simply unlocked for everyone and each piece of gear would have a positive and a negative trade off.

If we were to have such a thing, I agree that everything should be available to everyone from the get go and not be behind a progression wall, however there's still several issues with gear actually affecting game-play. It's a shame when you have to give up on using a piece of armor that you really like the aesthetic off because the stats it provides doesn't match up with your play-style, while a less aesthetically pleasing one does. I would still recommend that the customization be PURELY cosmetic.

Momchilo said:
As far as balance goes, the current system is not balanced, as certain factions are stronger than others, certain weapons better than others. Take duel for example, most used weapon is a greatsword and most common faction the Swadia. Now hop into a duel server for a mod like Mercenaries, and you will see a lot more diversity.

That's a trickier subject. M&B never had a duel focus, it's always had a focus on large dynamic battles with several different classes fighting each other all at the same time. Greatswords are only the best in their very specific domain, which is in duels, but then look at how it's used in competitive battle... oh right... it's not. You can't use a shield with them so you'd get obliterated when archers and cav enter the equation, and you generally can't even afford a greatsword in the first place. A greatsword costs over 1K when an inf has exactly 1K gold to spend for their weapons, shield and armor. The greatsword specifically caters to someone that just wants to duel, as it has the most efficient combination of damage, speed, weight, and range. The system you suggest would run into the exact same problem. There would inevitably be an optimal weapon build that caters specifically to a one-dimensional duel that most of the scene would end up using because it would be the overall best weapon for that very specific situation, even if only just slightly. The difference between the Greatsword and the standard Two-Handed Sword is almost negligible, the Two-Handed sword is only very slightly shorter, deals only very slightly lower damage, weighs only slightly lower, and swings slightly faster. They're almost identical weapons, but the Greatsword is only slightly better overall, and that's all it takes for it to become a weapon that gets used 1000x times more in duels. 

Momchilo said:
And yes it doesn't fit into the current system of faction versus faction. But that system is not good for multiplayer imo as you cannot identify or relate yourself to one specific factions because you have to switch around all the time. A place for that is singleplayer, where you spend more time in a given faction and have more freedom of choice.
I wouldn't go as far as to say "that system is not good for multiplayer" because I know there are many that like the forced diversity in play that the faction system creates and I consider it a reasonable desire to have, but I'd personally prefer to play a more standardized character as opposed to switching between vaegir and nord archers which have different ranged and melee capabilities, or vaegir and nord infantry that swing the same weapons at different speeds and deal more damage than one another due to proficiency and power strike differences. Not to mention balancing standardized characters would be a much easier endeavor.

For Honor used to have a customization system along the lines of what you are suggesting. Around the start, every casual player thought it would be a cool system that would allow them to look unique and special and allow them to specialize and build around their play-style a bit, but that all ended when the fire nationserious players attacked and started taking the customization system to its extreme and making builds that were optimal based on For Honor's combat system. Long-Story short, they ended up having to scrap that customization system because it turns out it's not the greatest idea to let players control their stats to that degree in a competitive multiplayer game where the goal is to win.

Now you could say that it's not particularly relevant because For Honor's combat is completely different from M&B's, and I'd agree, but that's not the main point. The main point is that in a multiplayer game, especially one based on fighting other people, people want to win, and will use the best build that allows them to do so.

What parameters do you think players would have control over in weapon customization for Bannerlord? The main ones would just be swing speed, damage, and range no? With just those, I can tell you exactly what the optimal dueling weapon for a competitive player would become. It would be the fastest possible weapon you could create that still deals enough damage to very rarely glance (preferably never) and has the lowest range that the specific player can comfortably manage given the ping they play with (players with higher pings are generally going to need longer weapons to compensate for the out-ranging footwork that can be abused against them, which is already a problem in and of itself that has no possible solution), so any extra length that the player deems unnecessary goes straight into swing speed. Anyone that diverges off that model would be putting themselves at a disadvantage.

For single-player it doesn't matter, a player could make an inefficient weapon and still be effective against bots, but in multiplayer, you'd get ass rammed by an equally skilled opponent that has a significantly more efficient weapon than you. And practically speaking, competitive players would most likely run around with the best weapon designs and newer/less experienced players probably not, exacerbating the problem even further.

I say it again, customization should be purely cosmetic. Everything game-play related should be fairly standardized for the sake of balance and consistency.

Lagstro said:
LAGSTRO POST

That was a very informative read, thanks. One question though, I understand you are a long-term player and if I am not mistaken in the competitive scene aswell. I did not know about the ping/footwork example you let us know of. Don't you think that some aspect of characters like athletics, would help immensely those players who have high ping but try to get around to play with their own style? I personally have found success in fast moving builds/fast weapon training in Mercs for example even when I'm using an axe. I play with 60 ping.

@Lagstro

Just gave duel as example. Competitive battle is equally unbalanced, certain factions are expected to dominate in certain areas with equally skilled opponents. You are right tho, there would eventually be optimal builds. I guess we can't really have a balanced system, maybe the choice is between unbalanced presets and unbalanced customization.

578 said:
Lagstro said:
LAGSTRO POST

That was a very informative read, thanks. One question though, I understand you are a long-term player and if I am not mistaken in the competitive scene aswell. I did not know about the ping/footwork example you let us know of. Don't you think that some aspect of characters like athletics, would help immensely those players who have high ping but try to get around to play with their own style? I personally have found success in fast moving builds/fast weapon training in Mercs for example even when I'm using an axe. I play with 60 ping.

Footwork is the key to winning duels, so yes moving faster does help. It has to do with center line. If you stay off enemies center line, and your enemy is inside your center line then you are at an advantage, with faster moving speed you can move faster and therefore it is harder for your enemy to follow you. You are at a disadvantage when your ping starts going above 90 but at 60 you are not at a big disadvantage at all, maybe you would feel a difference when fighting opponents who have 10-35 ping, but that disadvantage can be turned negligible with training. Also, faster moving speed is not so advantageous in battle, where your goal as infantry is mostly to survive. That means you will play tankier and it will be better to have more armor to keep you alive, than to have more movement speed. Also, trying to dominate your enemies center line, can turn to be disadvantageous in battle, because as you move to the enemies side, you might open yourself up to the enemy archers, cavalry or the enemies teammate infantry. So you gotta play more defensively, depends on situation tho. Remember always, survival is a key to being a good infantry.

Another advice I can give you, if you wish to follow the duelist path, is to develop good blocks first, then footwork, then feints.

Momchilo said:
@Lagstro

Just gave duel as example. Competitive battle is equally unbalanced, certain factions are expected to dominate in certain areas with equally skilled opponents. You are right tho, there would eventually be optimal builds. I guess we can't really have a balanced system, maybe the choice is between unbalanced presets and unbalanced customization.

578 said:
Lagstro said:
LAGSTRO POST

Footwork is the key to winning duels, so yes moving faster does help. It has to do with center line. If you stay off enemies center line, and your enemy is inside your center line then you are at an advantage, with faster moving speed you can move faster and therefore it is harder for your enemy to follow you. You are at a disadvantage when your ping starts going above 90 but at 60 you are not at a big disadvantage at all, maybe you would feel a difference when fighting opponents who have 10-35 ping, but that disadvantage can be turned negligible with training. Also, faster moving speed is not so advantageous in battle, where your goal as infantry is mostly to survive. That means you will play tankier and it will be better to have more armor to keep you alive, than to have more movement speed. Also, trying to dominate your enemies center line, can turn to be disadvantageous in battle, because as you move to the enemies side, you might open yourself up to the enemy archers, cavalry or the enemies teammate infantry. So you gotta play more defensively, depends on situation tho. Remember always, survival is a key to being a good infantry.

Another advice I can give you, if you wish to follow the duelist path, is to develop good blocks first, then footwork, then feints.

That was a great post, but what I meant with 'ping/footwork' was not to question the importance of footwork but how customizing small portions of stats could improve the playstyle of a higher ping player. That was just a thought. Also I do agree with your points, all of them.

Back
Top Bottom