• Uruks/uruk-hai

Votes: 209 11.6%
  • Elves

Votes: 409 22.6%
  • Dwarves

Votes: 190 10.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I have no idea what "invisible patrols" mean. There are no parties that are invisible.

Also I don't think the party composition changed between 3.3 and 3.5, but I might be mistaken.

Mr.Milker said:
I have no idea what "invisible patrols" mean. There are no parties that are invisible.

Also I don't think the party composition changed between 3.3 and 3.5, but I might be mistaken.

No, Illithen ranger parties are invisible to evil factions, but not to good. I assumed it was a feature.

For illustrating stealth abilities of Ithilien rangers for hide from Sauron's boys, also their stronghold was visible to me if crossing Osligiath and get near Mordor will see a settlement in reality a cave. Regarding mysterious arrow hits, I not remember having this thing in my Rohirrim playthrough on 3.5 version but for Warband, give a try to Warband version

Innocent Flower said:
No, Illithen ranger parties are invisible to evil factions, but not to good. I assumed it was a feature.

You're right, it's a feature. But it took me some tim eto get what Honved was hinting at. I'll look into it and maybe reduce their number, because4 they're quite strong.

There's an in-game option to restrict the overall number of parties, too, for people who have problems starting out.

The "stray arrows always headshotting the player" claim is as old as M&B itself. Funnily enough, bow accuracy was actually greatly reduced since 3.3...

Never really had a problem with the rangers once I realised that I could hide if I kept my unit size at about 10 and below. Otherwise I'd overwhelmingly outnumber them and thank that I use shield troops.

I playing this mod and I've observing as I can't winning sieges against impossible odds as in buggy 1257, orcs outnumbering me in West Osgiliath but what's happen if my character has 9 wounds will be killed regardless hardcore mode is activated or not. Mod is perfect and stable in latest version

Unfortunely my sweet Rohirrim playthrough ends as I click unintentional in developer menu as War of Two Towers begin, papa Sauron control Middle-Earth and maybe dreaming at conquer Valinor because a stupid woman allow this thing

Thanks again for this awesome mod which is by far a true LOTR simulator, immersive and lore detailed with stunning graphics and models, keep on work boys

InVain said:
Innocent Flower said:

You're right, it's a feature. But it took me some tim eto get what Honved was hinting at. I'll look into it and maybe reduce their number, because4 they're quite strong.

There's an in-game option to restrict the overall number of parties, too, for people who have problems starting out.

The "stray arrows always headshotting the player" claim is as old as M&B itself. Funnily enough, bow accuracy was actually greatly reduced since 3.3...
Thanks for looking into the sheer quantity of Ithilian Ranger parties; they're not a problem at higher levels, but a starting or low level evil player can't even see them to avoid them.  Having 1-2 parties on the map means that you've got to watch out for possible ambushes when traveling through Ithilien, but when there are at least 4 active parties at the same time just within sight of Osgiliath (except that you CAN'T see them - 3 were identified because they were locked in combat with orc patrols, and the 4th attacked my party), movement is next to impossible.

The troop composition isn't drastically different, but seems a bit more "top heavy" than in the 3.3 version.  That might just be my perception of it, or random selection of troops going on the heavy side, but there really shouldn't be a 3:1 or 4:1 balance of elite to regular troops (in both armies), more rationally it should be the other way around.  Encountering an elite combatant should be a meaningful and memorable challenge when it occurs, not the norm.  Note that in original M&B, a Swadian army might throw 30-50 troops at you in a round of combat, but you paid particular attention to those 3 or 4 Swadian Knights.  There typically weren't 20-40 of them per round.

I also recently found out that the player needs 7 in spotting to see them! I believe that is quite high, so I might have to crank that down a bit. I don't know about other players, but the most I would spend in that skill is 3.

Perhaps we should improve the skill a bit, so that we can incentive players to add points to the skill, and also, allow for a 'scout / ranger' RP character. As to how to improve the skill, I'm open to suggestions.

I wish someday make a new playthrough with this mod again as a female because is so sweet and interesting. Rohirrims was fun to play but I looking to Gondor or Lothlorien, former favours combined arms and latter infantry-archers combo

There is nothing more satisfying to me than hacking away at orcish hordes in TLD, at least not in video games I'm aware of. Just wanted to let you know.
And please, let the one who designed dunlandings to be the head artist of the project — I've never seen such an obscenely good depiction of a primordial bloodthirsty barbarian, and battle wolves just added to that image. However impractical it is to play for Dunland, it is still very esthetically pleasing.
I only wish easterlings were given a similar wild finish, as their snow-white and perfectly geometrical armor looks a bit out of place
And thanks for all the recent work, the game could really use some new quests (probably even scripted ones) and after a year playing it I can certainly see some progress in that direction

Rachitis said:
There is nothing more satisfying to me than hacking away at orcish hordes in TLD, at least not in video games I'm aware of. Just wanted to let you know.
And please, let the one who designed dunlandings to be the head artist of the project — I've never seen such an obscenely good depiction of a primordial bloodthirsty barbarian, and battle wolves just added to that image. However impractical it is to play for Dunland, it is still very esthetically pleasing.
I only wish easterlings were given a similar wild finish, as their snow-white and perfectly geometrical armor looks a bit out of place
And thanks for all the recent work, the game could really use some new quests (probably even scripted ones) and after a year playing it I can certainly see some progress in that direction

Thanks for the feedback! It is good to hear that I'm not alone in enjoying using Dunland troops! :smile: Don't think that it is impractical to play them, you just have to play them as sidekicks to Isengard, so If you do play Dunland, hire some Isengard troops, and you'll be able to destroy Rohan with no issues.

Not sure if you are playing on the steam build or using the nightly builds, but if you are using the former, then there are lots more changes (hopefully for the better) coming soon :smile:

I've few suggestions regarding mod
1: More companions
2: Black Serpent Golden Armour
3: Political options such as start as leader
4: Expanded troop trees
5: More items
6: More female characters

I think wolf guard are actually quite useful. They disrupt the enemy line like wargs but they don't have to die first. Their javcav isn't very useful but that's cause this isn't M2TW.

InVain said:
The "stray arrows always headshotting the player" claim comes from the FACT that the M&B AI typically dedicates at least one ranged trooper to attack the player character, if in range, which can happen right from the start on smaller battle maps.  I've seen that dedicated trooper continue targeting the relatively distant player character even while under direct melee attack by several player-side NPCs, on numerous occasions, and then another NPC takes over the task if more troops spawn.

The problem with the current iteration of the mod is that the abundance of high-level NPCs makes it very likely that it will be a top-tier archer doing the shooting, with stats and equipment to score damaging hits at long range.  When your low-level character takes a 44 point hit (that's what a Gondorian Archer USUALLY does to my Harad character) about 3-5 seconds into the battle, it doesn't make for a very entertaining experience, so I've made it a habit to try sidestepping or changing direction almost immediately at the start of each battle; the insta-kills are far lower now, but you can still hear the arrows whistle past on occasion.  Playing Gondor, the Great Orcs of Mordor do enough damage to seriously injure a lightly-armored good character, but it takes them a second hit to put you out of the fight.  That's compounded by the AI's ability to place a line of fire through foliage or other visible cover, so you can't see the enemy, but the cover gives you no protection from them.

I think that re-balancing the proportions of elite troops downward would go a long way toward minimalizing the impact of these inherent design issues, even though the root causes are not the fault of the TLD team.

I miss many Warband features such as marriage, founding own kingdom and others, custom money is complicated and mod lasting short, also I don't like as I am not main hero, these reasons lead me to unsubscribe from TLD even today.

ArnulfFloyd said:
I miss many Warband features such as marriage, founding own kingdom and others, custom money is complicated and mod lasting short, also I don't like as I am not main hero, these reasons lead me to unsubscribe from TLD even today.

If you want a fantasy setting MnB mod there's always Warhammer. The purpose of this mod is to recreate the War of the Ring, not be LOTR skin MnB.

ArnulfFloyd said:
First of all, I don't like fantasy because I enjoy only history and semi-fantasy mods for Warband

Ok Pendor and Perisno are both lower fantasy than this but they are harder. There's also two ASOIAF/AGOT mods. If you want something else then just browse this and other subfora, check moddb, or even go on steam. However if you want a typical warband mod set in middle earth I don't know of one, and there's no way these modders are going to dramatically change direction like that. You could probably just reuse their assets and code if you're willing to do it yourself.

Khamukkamu said:
Thanks for the feedback! It is good to hear that I'm not alone in enjoying using Dunland troops! :smile: Don't think that it is impractical to play them, you just have to play them as sidekicks to Isengard, so If you do play Dunland, hire some Isengard troops, and you'll be able to destroy Rohan with no issues.

Not sure if you are playing on the steam build or using the nightly builds, but if you are using the former, then there are lots more changes (hopefully for the better) coming soon :smile:

Yes, well, dunns take up the same place as black numenorians do, but in Saruman's army, gameplay-wise at least. Dunland is a separate faction though, so why not judge it as one? Covering behind the orc meat-shield and occasionally flanking — they do it pretty well, yet they're still inferior to uruk-hai in my opinion.
Dirt-cheap raven riders are decent shock troops if gathered in masses, yet as all dunlandings they have a big problem with survivability. It almost seems as if their recruitment was originally designed similar to that of an orc, with a couple units per spot. They lack the backbone any human army needs to ensure more or less standalone playthrough. And while their uniqueness is apparent, it is not too much fun to lose half of your high-end savages every big battle because wolf fur offers bad to no protection. Realistic though.
Don't get me wrong, I understand that it was most likely made for lore/balancing purposes, it's just that this faction seems to srtive towards both expendable troops and advanced tactics and fails in both without actually delivering a punch to the enemy.
I guess warband is just not the game where a pike formation would work properly  :sad:

That aside, keep the new content coming!

Back
Top Bottom