Votes: 404 22.5%
  • Dwarves

Votes: 189 10.5%

• Total voters

Currently viewing this thread:

Honved

Knight
Knez said:
The only way to defeat sauron is to destroy the only thing which binds him to this world, aka his ring. You can't fight the shadow. Frodo and Sam, on the other hand have a way to destroy it, which is his own ring. Once the faction strenght for Mordor goes low, you will see 3 or 4 mordor war parties, around 300, 400 men each with numerous nazguls somewhere close to the black gate. By dealing with them, you give those two little hobbits a chance to sneak by unnoticed. Consider it to be similar to the fight of morranon, except you might face them with your party alone, unlike in the books where it was rohan and gondor war hosts, or should i say "people of the middle earth but without elves and dwarves, basically men only".
In my last "good" game, from what I recall, the Gates of Morannon were taken by assault without defeating all of the last aimlessly roving war parties, and Mordor was defeated immediately, since they had no fortresses left (not counting the Dark Tower itself), the first faction to be defeated, much to my surprise.  The roving war party of Isengard lasted a surprisingly long time, and Moria, the last surviving enemy faction aside from it, was just about to fall before Isengard suddenly vanished, presumably due to an Ent attack, but there was no in-game notification of that event.

Yeah, there is also a way to defeat Mordor by besieging all of their outposts, forgot about it. And no, it makes no notification regarding ents attacking Isengard,
i mean you can find them on Entmoot
  most likely forces of the good defeated those Isengard war parties on their own, one by one. Intersting thing for me is that when playing as a Gondor, fighting against Mordor must be directed on their allies first, Harad, Umbar and Khand, but in recent patches it had become quite easy to fight them head on. In previous versions i had day 400+ game when i played as a Gondor, and mordor faction strength was still quite high, but again so was ours. Pity that i never finished that game, could be most fulfilling victory i ever had, if it would be one due to Rohan slowly but steadily losing to Isengard.

Just had to say what an amazing job you've done with this mod ironing out bugs and improving quality of life stuff. Really the only WB mod I enjoy replaying many times. Just played with the latest nightly and I didn't experience a single crash or scrolling script errors that use to be prevalent in my early play throughs especially in battles. It was just an enjoyable experience all the way through with good conquering evil without losing a single town for any good faction. I love being able to ask the town 'mayor' where generals are for that faction.

Only one short script error I got was when I used influence to get two generals to follow me to eliminate the Isengard final army. Afterwards while roaming I got a script error about AI deciding whether to continue following me or not and invalid party id or something like that. Didn't pay much attention and I didn't need them anymore so I released them.

Very nice work once again!

Honved

Knight
I did another Harad campaign, which is progressing quite a bit differently than the last. There was only one Gondorian lord killed in battle early in the campaign this time, rather than two, but Harad managed to take Cair Andros fairly early. That allowed me to recruit troops from an additional source, to fight battles against both Gondor and Rohan near my own faction, and gain rank points and influence with Harad instead of with Mordor. Gondor was once again the first good faction to fall, although nowhere near as quickly as in the previous run, and Rohan followed soon after. This time, with a longer campaign and more rank points, I was able to recruit the Harad companion before the fall of the Galadrim or Imladris, rather than not until well into the final one-sided war between Mordor and Isengard. Dale and Erebor managed to take out Rhun, and Moria was barely hanging on by a thread for a while, until the combined evil forces destroyed the Beornings and burned the one Wood Elf village toward the middle of the map. Harad has just captured Dale intact, and Erebor and the Wood Elves are still reasonably strong and putting up a good fight, but the war is now pretty much confined to in and around Mirkwood.

Thanks to the capture of Pelagiad, Cair Andros, and now Dale, Harad is currently slightly stronger than Mordor. Between the original and advanced camps, plus the three captured cities, recruitment is not a problem, although it's been a real struggle to keep my significantly larger army fed in this campaign. The outcome is pretty much inevitable at this point, but it's been a much longer and better contested campaign, whereas the previous one kind-of fell apart for Gondor after the deaths of two lords only a couple of months into the war. Random events are still a huge factor, which is a good thing for replayability, but can essentially determine the outcome of a campaign. The game balance is a lot closer in the current version between good and evil, with good only having a marginal advantage, which is sufficient for a new player of the mod.

Next campaign: Umbar.

Swyter

Grandmaster Knight
M&BWBWF&S
Oh, boy. Blast from the past. Ensure that you are downloading the correct version of TLD for your game.
For shaders to work on Mount&Blade 1.011 you need to copy the dinput8.dll file from Modules/TLD into the main game folder.

In any case it sounds like you are running a very old version of the mod. You can always get the latest version from here:
If you use Steam and own Warband we generally recommend subscribing to the Steam Workshop version and call it a day.
It auto-updates and everything. All the links and instructions are in that page. Hope that helps. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mtarini

Sergeant Knight
Hello Swyter how are you doing? Long time no see! It's so great to see (e.g. on trello) that TLD dev continues to be alive!
I am popping up because I have a super minor suggestion. I'm not sure this is the place for it, but this seems to be the most recently used of the many many many places that are used or have been used for discussing TLD. Anyway, here goes.

A few of the starting-game menus are titled "Select your race". It occurred to me that the wording might be improved. BTW I not suggesting it because of the debate about the political correctness of the term "race" in fantasy settings (which recently resurfaced in different parts of the game-verse).

In menus for bad guys,"breed" may be more savory than "race" (yes, even listing "man" as a breed) . In the various menus for good guys, one of "kin", "folk", "heritage", or "people" could be adopted, depending on the specific menu.

mtarini out!

shikaka

Squire
WB
Good day gents!

I tried downloading the mod again, but unfortunately it doesn't work with the launcher dll. I tried the manual copypaste method, but:
"copy mb.fxo , all five *.pp , and the *.bik files to: M&B/ (overwriting)."

The .fxo and .bik files are not included in the download. I have the 3.6 standalone version. Can somebody send me over these two files? Should be in your TLD/data folder.

Thanks for considering!

Swyter

Grandmaster Knight
M&BWBWF&S
What's the problem? See my post above, don't follow the install guide in the bundled PDF because that part is obsolete.

Another thing to keep in mind (once you've installed it following the newer instructions) with the original M&B 1.011 and current TLD versions is that due to memory limitations you need to set texture quality in the launcher to the minimum, and we also recommend using the enhanced version of the game when not playing on Warband. But, for most people, you should be using Warband and installing the Steam Workshop version.

But other than that it should work fine. Let me know if that helps.

shikaka

Squire
WB
What's the problem? See my post above, don't follow the install guide in the bundled PDF because that part is obsolete.

Another thing to keep in mind (once you've installed it following the newer instructions) with the original M&B 1.011 and current TLD versions is that due to memory limitations you need to set texture quality in the launcher to the minimum, and we also recommend using the enhanced version of the game when not playing on Warband.

But other than that it should work fine. Let me know if that helps.

Hi Swyter, I followed the manual from the page you linked above.
It says that if the mod doesn't start after copying dinput8.dll to it's destination, I should start copying the files manually.

Since dinpu8.dll doesn't work (the main screen doesn't come up, the loading bars stops at about 20%), I tried the manual version. I cannot complete it, because TLD/data doesn't have some files I should copy, namely the fxo and pp files. The result is that I still cannot get to the main screen, the loading bar stops at about 95%.

But, for most people, you should be using Warband and installing the Steam Workshop version.

Warband has serious lags and stability issues for me. Unplayable. I used to think it is my old PC and/or windows 7, but since buying a new PC (win10), it still has the same issues, so I just gave up on it. I don't have problems with WFaS either. Also, as a big plus, regular M&B has the very cool automatic lancing feature which Warband doesn't.

Swyter

Grandmaster Knight
M&BWBWF&S
I would try installing the M&B 1.011 enhanced version, activating it with your Steam/TaleWorlds serial. And then just extracting the TLD folder for both the standalone release and its nightly patch, and then just copying the dinput8.dll into the game's .exe folder. In newer versions of TLD you don't need to do anything else.

These are the only instructions you need:
unknown.png

Alternatively, if that doesn't work for obscure reasons, even if we use M&B 1.011 all the time and seems okay, you can try the old-fashioned way, which is a matter of replacing/overwriting the files in the main <game-root>/Data folder with the ones under <game-root>/Modules/TLD/Data, as well as copying over the core_<whatever>.brf files from <game-root>/Modules/TLD/Resource into <game-root>/CommonRes. You can also copy and paste <game-root>/Modules/TLD/mb.fx into the main game folder as mb.fxo, as well as the (new) *.pp files from your <game-root>/Data folder into the root. With that you should be all set, you wouldn't need the dinput8.dll thingie after that.

Keep in mind that after this no other mod will work; so maybe, in your case, having a second M&B 1.011 install may be a good idea.

Last edited:

shikaka

Squire
WB
I would try installing the M&B 1.011 enhanced version, activating it with your Steam/TaleWorlds serial. And then just extracting the TLD folder for both the standalone release and its nightly patch, and then just copying the dinput8.dll into the game's .exe folder. In newer versions of TLD you don't need to do anything else.

I think this is the first thing I tried. (I have the enchanced version).
I didn't know about the "nightly patch" tho!

I did copy most things you mentioned, but your info is very helpful:

as well as copying over the core_<whatever>.brf files from <game-root>/Modules/TLD/Resource into <game-root>/CommonRes.

Aha!

You can also copy and paste <game-root>/Modules/TLD/mb.fx into the main game folder as mb.fxo

this too (.fx -> .fxo)

I will try again this evening, and share the experiences. Thanks!

Keep in mind that after this no other mod will work; so maybe, in your case, having a second M&B 1.011 install may be a good idea.

Yep, I had it working like this a few years ago. No problem, I already have a full copy.

shikaka

Squire
WB
Just a short feedback: I tried in a few different way (re-download, re-install, manual copy, etc.), but none work. Since all other 1.011 mods work, I have no idea.
That's how it goes :xf-wink:

Thanks for the help Swyter, really appreciated.

edit: I just installed Star Wars Conquest, which works the same way. Even the first try is successful, even tho, seeing the same install instructions, I expected it will not work.

Last edited:
So, I had gotten to the point in the game where I'm kicking ass, taking names, and actually contributing a lot to the war effort. I was just shy or rank 8 with Dale, had lots of ranks with other factions, was in the mid-late 20's, and every faction still around was fighting over Rohan. It was awesome.

Unfortunately, I can no longer continue the save (it crashes when I try to load)

I was wondering if there was a way to restore the save or if I can 'cheat' and get back my progress somehow.

(Also, would it be possible to make evil human factions... better?I feel they should be more symmetric in terms of quality. Canonically Rhun was supposed to be beating the good factions in the north, the Umbar are descendents of numenor, and near Harad aught to be more impressive.)

(also, playing this long as dale, where the game's essentially a shooting gallery: Could shieldsizes fit better with their hitboxes?)
(also, I can't tell the difference between bottom tier Dunelendings and higher tier dunelendins)

shikaka

Squire
WB
Hi, after migrating to win10, I cannot get M&B classic to work at all, so I tried warband and installed The last days. This is quite a pleasant surprise, this version seems to run better than the 1.011 version, and seems also better than Warband Native. Very impressive work done on optimisation.

Taking a second dive into the mod, and enjoying it very much, I really like what I see.

For the moment no big issues. I found some smaller things though:

1: Elrond's quest: when you start it, the text says you should "disengage", like the player is in battle with him

2: Defeat enemy champions quest. I took this up against Mount Gundabad. I don't know what I should have killed (the log said "orc infantry"), but I defeated 5-6 gundabad patrols, participated in two successful sieges against them, personally slaying 100+ troops in both cases (armored orcs, max level warg riders, trolls, you name it). The faction was defeated afterwards, so there were no gundabad patrols anymore. When the timer ran out, I still had 0 kills registered, and failed of course.

3: when an AI lord dies at a siege, you cannot visit (click on) her gravestone. On my run Miriel died at a siege (I think there, not sure), but I can only click on the ruins, not her grave.

4: in general, I really like the good vs. evil balance of the mod. There is some luck involved (eg. generals die early, when the faction only has three total, which happened to Miriel and Orophin on my last playthrough), which is good for replayability. To be fair, I also had unfair easy games when enemy generals died early so it equals out.

5: the scaling of some quests is a bit off I think. Doing a detour with 9-10 supplies is a nice division, but deliverying 20+ supplies is usually not possible. (when you get that quest, your inventory is filled with food ususally) This is the same with collecting scraps.

edit: forgot about one. 6: siege of East Osgiliath: the attacking Gondor army got stuck. I forgot to take a screenshot, and I do not know how it happened (was busy dueling with 3 trolls at the same time). When I finished the trolls, I just realized that the gondor troops are still being taken out, despite seeing 3 enemies and ~80 gondorians on the counter. I found all gondor troops stuck in the scene, with 3 orcs taking potshots at them. Part of the scene: first room after the initial (mordor held) bridgehead.

I have two questions:
- is there a faction which received not enough feedback/testing? Currently I just finished a game, and plan to start with Beornings, Harad, Corsairs or Khand. I don't know if any of these (or any other really) is in need of testing?

- is there some guide anywhere? I only found outdated ones, but it would be nice to know the faction rewards, or which dunlander/woodsmen units summon animals for example.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Top Bottom