Votes: 209 11.6%
  • Elves

Votes: 409 22.6%
  • Dwarves

Votes: 190 10.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

How player dependent are the wars?

I am on about day 60 and recently Mordor is unmatched with Gondor (me) fluctuating between average and strong for the last couple of dozen days. The rescued prisoners I got from a weakened Corsair hero did give me enough quality to save Cair Andros from 3 seiging Harad armies and stop a 200 odd strong Orc combo from annihilating all our scouts near Minas Tirith. I am pretty much Gondor's only strong (ish) defence apart from Prince Imrahil but he goes wandering alot. All other lords stay at home.

The reason I am wondering is that I have only seen Gondor and Rohan and quite fancy checking out the other lands on the map and seeing all the Elven and Dwarven scenes. I plan to play as an elf next and could wait till then but a road trip here may not be out of the question as I am sure there are other special items out there a man of Gondor could make use of.

From experience does Gondor hold it together without the player or am I likely to come back after 2-3 weeks and see some towns in ruins? If so then I will stay and do my duty.

Nameless Warrior said:
How player dependent are the wars?
Very. In my observation, when you go to faction strengths, the numbers there represent living force of a faction (in other words, number of units), not sure about settlement garrisons. So, the more you kill off, the less the buggers will attack, and the more likely allied factions will attempt sieging...Well, at least in theory.

Nameless Warrior said:
Elven and Dwarven scenes
Erebor is ****ing A!

Nameless Warrior said:
From experience does Gondor hold it together without the player or am I likely to come back after 2-3 weeks and see some towns in ruins? If so then I will stay and do my duty.
Yep. It varies though. They get pounded a lot, Gondor at least. But have rarely seen them go below 'average', and if they do, they tend to quickly recover. Almost always losing Cair Andros. Rohan get a couple of settlements razed, but they're quite a match for Isengard and the other rabble, after that.

Nameless Warrior said:
From what I uderstand after having played 5 different characters for a gand total of 300 days you best stay in the region you chose for yourself unless you have weakened the enemy faction(s) before you want to go travel. The more enemy parties you eleminate the less of them spawn later to threaten your kingdom.

I didn't tweak the difficulty settings (i.e. 1/2 damage to my troops, 1/4 damage to me), but my character from Gondor is able to hold Mordor in check at day 65. We're unmatched with over 6000 and Mordor is fast approaching 2000 (on the way down). So it is doable if you focus on leveling up your troops and destroying increasingly large parties of enemies. My biggest threat are not even Uruk-hai, nor Haradrims, but sturdy Varyag Axemen, they inflict the most damage on my troops with their long axes.

It has also been easy for me as a Mordor Ukur and a Dwarf. The general routine went like this: do quests, travel and gain companions (not easy at the start, but still) at the start. Once the war starts (it is linked to your level somehow) your goal is to fend off smaller parties and help your lords with bigger battles. Once you have top-tier units and a reasonable amount of troops you can take the fight to the enemy. Leadership is very important so raise it any way you can.

To cut the long story short, yes you can travel around, but either in the beginning or once you have reduced the enemy to a weakened state. Yes it is doable...

Thanks for your advice. With Gondor at 3800 and Mordor at about 6000 with the other factions nearby I had better stay put and fight for Gondor.

How active do you find Gondor's lords in your games Gemin, twice Imrahil has called a campaign and both times only I responded.

Usually people report that their lords "sit around and do nothing", which is largely what I see in my games as well. I think Triglav posted a while ago that you'd have to reduce enemy strength to under 2000 for your lords to start besieging enemy towns, to 1000 to besiege a capital.

In my game for Erebor, the Northern lords are quite active. At day 90 they've destroyed every outpost in the North besides Dul Guldur's outpost.
In the South Gondor occasionally goes on a campaign, at day 60 only one orc camp was destroyed. One to two lords besides me support Imrahil.
As Mordor at day 55 we've taken Cair Andros and stalled there.

Generally I'd say that the smaller the kingdom is the better its lords respond to campaigns. Also, as it was said and programmed, there's a direct correlation between the number of enemy troops and how active your lords are.

Well, all that was somewhat programmed, but not tested out much, as we were too busy finishing the mod for release to do any serious testing.
We really didn't anticipate the passivity of AI at sieging. :/

ok this is not about x-bows, im playing gondor for quite a while now and im around day 155 and im a hero for gondor is there a way to become a king or will there ever be a king for gondor

The king is a certain ranger walking around with some companions, I think his name is Strider? or is it Elessar, can't be Aragorn at any rate...

I just registered in this forum to congratulate all the developers of this magnificent Module.
In my opinion this is the most beautiful M&B mod ever created AND the only LOTR game that lives up to Tolkien`s work.
Awesome job and looking anxiously forward for the next updates!

PS: Manekemaan, with all due respect, your signature is disturbing.

roninrjbr said:
I just registered in this forum to congratulate all the developers of this magnificent Module.
In my opinion this is the most beautiful M&B mod ever created AND the only LOTR game that lives up to Tolkien`s work.
Awesome job and looking anxiously forward for the next updates!

PS: Manekemaan, with all due respect, your signature is disturbing.

We appreciate this, thank you!

Triglav said:
Well, all that was somewhat programmed, but not tested out much, as we were too busy finishing the mod for release to do any serious testing.
We really didn't anticipate the passivity of AI at sieging. :/
You guys did a great job in everything else, so, if anything this "error" permits you to travel and see the world while the war "goes on anyway"... If there is be a solution it would be a shame if the time in the campaign was reduced from what it is now. If possible, it would be great if the end of the Great War would be player driven in the future. However the mod is already amazing enough as it is!

I agree; I like how slow the war moves as it is right now. The player feels pivotal to many of the successes, but no one victory turns the tide of the war. I'd like it if the AI sieged more often, but not too often.

Nameless Warrior said:
If a town which contains a potential companion is burnt to the ground will that companion respawn somewhere else or are they considered dead?

Nope, they die.

Gemin Tarkov said:
Nameless Warrior said:
Brutal, no wonder I cannot find the second Rohan companion. RIP.
Where was he meant to be? I just lost Westfold...

I am not sure where the companion is meant to be but I lost West Emnet (I think it is west but either way it is the one closest to Isengard) and the Westfold and I cannot find any companion other then the one in Edoras so I am guessing they are now dead.

Back
Top Bottom