The worst balancing issue in skirmish? Shock Infantry.

Users who are viewing this thread

I think the reason shock troop has it so easy is because the counter that should be skirmish is unplayable, I remember a few months ago i was mindless charging on mid in the desert map and a guy makes a perfect line of skimishes and they all get their Javelins ready and shoot... in that moment i said " sh*t i'm dead" and it should have been the result (massive casualties and the remaining troops heavly damaged) but it was not the case, only 1 bot died, 2 or 3 got damaged, but since javelins and other throwing weapons got so heavly nerfed in terms of damage and accuracy... 90% of the Javellins went overhead or totally missed my units and the ones that hit didn't do damage at all (20-30%) of my units health?
Also the bots just brain freeze.. they had a perfect line of fire, out of those Skirmish troops only 60% of that line decided to shoot the rest was standing there loooking at the void. I have seen this happen to archer units but not as bad as skirmish units.
I guess the Devs decided to nerf it because of the Skirmish scene but didn't take in consideration how it would effect the captain scene, it made some units useless.

Unpopular opinion; slow down all 2handed weapons by 10 and make them a bit shorter.
gucci
No, 2 handed weapons are good at what they do now. The solution is not to nerf them but to buff the troops that should stop them.
I think the reason shock troop has it so easy is because the counter that should be skirmish is unplayable, I remember a few months ago i was mindless charging on mid in the desert map and a guy makes a perfect line of skimishes and they all get their Javelins ready and shoot... in that moment i said " sh*t i'm dead" and it should have been the result (massive casualties and the remaining troops heavly damaged) but it was not the case, only 1 bot died, 2 or 3 got damaged, but since javelins and other throwing weapons got so heavly nerfed in terms of damage and accuracy... 90% of the Javellins went overhead or totally missed my units and the ones that hit didn't do damage at all (20-30%) of my units health?
Also the bots just brain freeze.. they had a perfect line of fire, out of those Skirmish troops only 60% of that line decided to shoot the rest was standing there loooking at the void. I have seen this happen to archer units but not as bad as skirmish units.
I guess the Devs decided to nerf it because of the Skirmish scene but didn't take in consideration how it would effect the captain scene, it made some units useless.
We are aware and dressing these problems.

Unpopular opinion; slow down all 2handed weapons by 10 and make them a bit shorter.
gucci
Make it slower and shorter? Are you out of your mind :xf-eek: ? Do you want us to take 5-10 seconds to make a swing? xD
Take a look at the Battania Savage Perk ( Hammer) they nerfed the speed so much that no one is using it anymore on captain because the bots take so long to make the swing they get destroyed in the process, I used to pick this perk when i was fighting factions that have heavy armored troops like (legionary and sergeant) right now it doesn't make any sence to use this perk because the weapon is broken, might as well pick the Rhomphaia because of the speed

What do you consider units that counter shock troops?
Archers and Skirmishers?

Does that mean they might get buffed sometime soon?
No plans on buffing Archers at the moment. Have some plans for skirmishers to make them better against archers and shock troops.

No plans on buffing Archers at the moment. Have some plans for skirmishers to make them better against archers and shock troops.

Glad to hear that :grin:
I personally was a little worried of exchanging tue cav meta vor a archer meta :grin:
I think work on Skirmishers sounds good. Except for Battania they all feel rather underwhelming.

On a side note: maybe making the Khuzait Spearmen a dedicated Skirmisher might be interesting.
The medium/ heavy infantry hybrid doesn't seem to make anyone happy and a dedicated heavy infantry for Khuzait also feels out of place.

Why u can't just slow down every shocktroop class? TW's internal skirmish statsheet are like HV internal test with 300% sword speed. If you want some real information you need to approach the tryhard part of this community, teams that actually exploit every single faction at their 100%. About mongolion or another shock troop. Give them OP armor. RIse the price, but slowdown them asf. They should be the slowest unit ingame. The OPside of this unit is not the damage, not the throwing weapons but their speed, their ability to outrun everyone, they can actually run from every single bad fight and nobody can punish them.

Oh wait wasn't there this big community event with all the tryhards that the devs would have loved to use for feedback?

Whoops I am out before I burn my mouth and steer away from the topic even more.

Why u can't just slow down every shocktroop class? TW's internal skirmish statsheet are like HV internal test with 300% sword speed. If you want some real information you need to approach the tryhard part of this community, teams that actually exploit every single faction at their 100%. About mongolion or another shock troop. Give them OP armor. Increase the price, but slowdown them asf. They should be the slowest unit ingame. The OPside of this unit is not the damage, not the throwing weapons but their speed, their ability to outrun everyone, they can actually run from every single bad fight and nobody can punish them.

Second, how about allowing Khuzait to pick more archers so they can kill those shock troops ? You actively block a faction's answer to a strategy and then complain that it can not be stopped...
Until we have people like you deciding about balancing faction this game is going to be in early access for the next 8 years. Even with 6 shooter on khuzait u can't counter Empire with 4 menavlion and 2 cav. There is no counter strategy on khuzait to defeat Empire.

Why u can't just slow down every shocktroop class? TW's internal skirmish statsheet are like HV internal test with 300% sword speed. If you want some real information you need to approach the tryhard part of this community, teams that actually exploit every single faction at their 100%. About mongolion or another shock troop. Give them OP armor. Increase the price, but slowdown them asf. They should be the slowest unit ingame. The OPside of this unit is not the damage, not the throwing weapons but their speed, their ability to outrun everyone, they can actually run from every single bad fight and nobody can punish them.

Until we have people like you deciding about balancing faction this game is going to be in early access for the next 8 years. Even with 6 shooter on khuzait u can't counter Empire with 4 menavlion and 2 cav. There is no counter strategy on khuzait to defeat Empire.
Taleworlds did approach them; and the community rejected using their event in this way.

Now that's not a discredit to them; it's their event and they can play it how they choose - and rightfully so. But TW did make the attempt - and offered official support for assisting.

Glad to hear that :grin:
I personally was a little worried of exchanging tue cav meta vor a archer meta :grin:
I think work on Skirmishers sounds good. Except for Battania they all feel rather underwhelming.

On a side note: maybe making the Khuzait Spearmen a dedicated Skirmisher might be interesting.
The medium/ heavy infantry hybrid doesn't seem to make anyone happy and a dedicated heavy infantry for Khuzait also feels out of place.
I'd look at making the Khan's Guard a better melee option personally. Perhaps even an option to swap out it's bow for better melee loadout - similar to the Vladian shocktroop who I always butcher the name of.

Last edited:
Not accurate. I approached Avrc not the other way around.
I don't like to think that TW get's a bad rep for buying out the community with badges when it was really me that approached them.
Oh apologies Ikea; I didn't know that.

I actually think it was a really nice idea - I do get the resistance to it though.

Pacemaker points out that only 2 shock troops are good in the game while all others are garbage and your solution is to nerf all of them. Great solution.
Make it slower and shorter? Are you out of your mind :xf-eek: ? Do you want us to take 5-10 seconds to make a swing? xD
wow you guys took that seriously, I greatly exaggerated that one lmao, didn't think anyone would take such a huge nerf suggestion seriously, maybe my mistake.
but it really bothers my mind that a heavy weapon such as "heavy" menavlion or long menavlion can be swung that fast and you can be a ballerina at the same time, just sayin.

So you're saying you made the offer to TW to buy out the community?
I think everyone's overreacting on this thing.
Did TW offer badges to BEAST if they removed the class limit? Yeah.
Did we end up accepting it? No.
Does that mean we lost out on anything? Not really. Only if you really like badges.
Claiming "TW was trying to buy us"... well... they wanted us to play without class restrictions so they can gather data and thought they could get some of the teams not really happy with it to agree by offering some badges.
I don't see why that's super immoral or anything and I don't get why everyone's making a big topic out of it.

So you're saying you made the offer to TW to buy out the community?
Exactly.
I mean I knew that TW was looking for competetive play and I honestly don't think that our arbitary clas restrictions have any future.
So I asked Avrc what TW could offer to motivate the community to go through such a harsh change.
Avrc had a few ideas but the only think he was able to guarantee were the badges.
So I tried that.
I honestly think that it would have let to regular patches during the tournament, too but obviously the devs can't explicitly promise that.

Another thing, people keep saying buying out / or selling. I don't mind it too much because I get where it comes from - but teams were still able to vote on the restrictions. I tried to motivate them to do things differently (since I believe it will come to this in the long run anyway) but I didn't force anything on them.
During the Beta loads of people tried to work more closely with the devs and now that we get a chance we rejected it. (Only to hear some new voices asking for more closely work between the community and the devs. It's baffling, isn't it?)

But in the end I think the devs got a bad reputation for no reason. I think they do a solid job, especially recently.
But this honestly isn't the topic here so I don't really want to respond to this anymore here.

Back
Top Bottom