The worst balancing issue in skirmish? Shock Infantry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Shock inf is just total garbage against 2 2 2 or any other setup where more than 1 archer. So AVRC is right and archers totally counter it. What are you complaining about here? You want to make shock weaker than heavy inf? What the point of this class then?
Actually, I know it's easy to miss my point since I didn't make it obvious, but what I want is better shock inf balance throughout all factions. The difference between a Menavlion Infantry and a Sturgia Berserker is way bigger than any archer or cavarly faction difference. This balance doesn't make sense. I'm not asking for nerfs at all (except maybe the Menavlion), but rather buffs to some classes that really, really need them.

Make maul and hammer a few points faster. Buff throwing weps with like 40 % dmg (expect throwing spears. Idk about stones). Give Menavlion empire polearm if they pick improved armor. Nerf Voulgier base armor with a couple of points.

Could that work?

*Edit* Oh, and give sperman ability to spawn with glaive.
throwing needs a minor buff, not a 40% one. dont want to go back to CS: Calradia Offensive
dont like spearman with any twohanded weapon unless that also replaces the big shield with a small one like the other shock troops get (or perhaps even none - I'd consider taking away shields from shocks a good change (=nerf) tbh, since it opens them up more to archer fire, but they can stay effective if playing right).

Actually, I know it's easy to miss my point since I didn't make it obvious, but what I want is better shock inf balance throughout all factions. The difference between a Menavlion Infantry and a Sturgia Berserker is way bigger than any archer or cavarly faction difference. This balance doesn't make sense. I'm not asking for nerfs at all (except maybe the Menavlion), but rather buffs to some classes that really, really need them.
I understand this. But many people here complaining that shock inf is op at all.

throwing needs a minor buff, not a 40% one. dont want to go back to CS: Calradia Offensive
dont like spearman with any twohanded weapon unless that also replaces the big shield with a small one like the other shock troops get (or perhaps even none - I'd consider taking away shields from shocks a good change (=nerf) tbh, since it opens them up more to archer fire, but they can stay effective if playing right).
Yeah. Spearman would go the route of voulgier with no shield in that case.

I don't know if anyone said it was OP, just that it was **** gameplay. Something can be balanced but still boring/frustrating/just all round not a good addition to the game.
Precisely this. Shock infantry necessitates anti-melee gameplay and is not fun for other infantry to play against because of the fact that it’s based on kiting and stuns. Some shock infantry troops are obviously too weak, but in general a re-balancing of movement speed and changes to how 2h stuns works would make melee engagements much more enjoyable against shock infantry whilst allowing them to maintain that high damage role.

Are you saying that the class balance shall be built around "versatile skillsets" that only absolute top players have?

Maybe fixing that insane turncap may somehow help to tune down them two-handers?

Are you saying that the class balance shall be built around "versatile skillsets" that only absolute top players have?
No, these differences affect the game on any skill level. They are just more pronounced on top level of play. I assumed a competitive scenario to not leave room for people posting anecdotes about how they managed to top frag with a Savage on public skirmish or stuff like that.

When shock troopers needed a boost in skirmish, it was only because of one weakness they had : too vulnerable to throwings and archers. They were buffed across the board to counter other infs when what they needed are ways to survive against archers.

Once again I want to thank @Pacemaker for a well written post and all the others who contributed to the discussion in a civil manner. This has been a good thread.

Maybe fixing that insane turncap may somehow help to tune down them two-handers?
I think balancing for versatile skillsets works best for a casual or medium skilled environment because a new blayer is about equally good at everything.
I've seen long posts by competitive players complaining about the skill diversity demanded from them because they apparently train hundreds of hours to be the best at their main class and cannot afford to train anything else.
When shock troopers needed a boost in skirmish, it was only because of one weakness they had : too vulnerable to throwings and archers. They were buffed across the board to counter other infs when what they needed are ways to survive against archers.
I'm curious how a heavy infantry class with a 2hander and a good shield would work that he has to put away when engaging in melee. The Varayg with the bastard axe goes a bit in that direction.
The light and heavy hitting 2handers we have now are are more a gamey thing as the lack of shield and armor makes them extremely vulnerable on a battlefield.

Back
Top Bottom