The whole "buy horse to level up troops to horsemen" thing is illogical

Users who are viewing this thread

I can get an imperial recruit and level him up to a legionary that has juggernaut armour for the cost of a pack of arrows.

But upgrading to horsemen requires buying horses twice. Why? All this does is to annoy the f out of players. I think that should be removed and horsed troops should get their 300 denar horses themselves, just like legionaries get ther +200k denar armour themselves.

should give you 1 horse back at least.

Also, should default to taking the lowest tier/cheapest warhorses in inventory.

Also should give you renown (1 renown for every warhorse upgrade?).

Im at 10k~ renown. All my horsemen would give me what, 200-500 more renown? Difference is marginal, but early game is a motivator to upgrade them (and balance out the absurd cost with some reward...).

Typically soldiers in an army would have to pay for the equipment themselves and horses were provided by the military, so I don't have any problems with this.

What I do have a problem with and that I find unbalanced is that you don't get the normal horse back when you upgrade to war horse, and you don't get any horses back if the rider dies.

We should ALWAYS get horses back on an upgrade and there should be a CHANCE to get a horse back after the rider dies.

I like this change, one of the best things they implemented in bannerlord really, i would live it even more if it extended to equipment but that's beyond their vision for the game i recon so maybe mods in the future.

The game Freeman that is inspired by M&B but in a modern setting has this feature where you can recruit a soldier in a blank state just for his level and skills or pay a premium for him to come fully equipped according to his tier. (something like 500g blank or 10k equipped)

Best of all is that you can change equipment of every soldier in it like in companions from M&B so you can get a blank cheaper and equip with looted gear for example, it has the best of both worlds for those that like simplicity just recruit an all geared up soldier or a blank to equip to your tastes if you like more micromanagement.

I actually like it but I do hate that lords don't need to worry about providing horses. I get that if TW didn't do it, it would really screw with the economy. But imo lords should have to pay extra to cover the cost of the nonexistent horse. That way they have some kind of restriction when leveling up a troop to a cavalry unit, just my 2 cents.

Yeah i really liked the Freeman equipment management. But the only way it was feasible was the "auto equip" function which automatically have the soldiers the best items available so you wouldn't have to do it yourself. And that could be broken her with the differentt kinds of troops we have.

I'm not a fan. Its just an arbitrary extra cost to make horsemen more expensive. But then, I've never been a fan of Bannerlord's whole "horse as commodity" concept with all the connected herding nonsense from the start.

Typically soldiers in an army would have to pay for the equipment themselves and horses were provided by the military, so I don't have any problems with this.
Since when? The very reason for why knights emerged as an affluent social class was that they needed to be able to afford the horses they used for battle themselves, along with their gear.

I like the idea of having soldiers upgrading from the loot collected. After each battle you decide what you want and the rest the soldiers divide up. High rank gets first pick. I think some mods had it for companions in WB

I actually like it but I do hate that lords don't need to worry about providing horses.
^This!1St :The Bannerlord we were waiting for was supposed to make the AI lords suffer just like the player, but they dropped that immediately. Instead of "make them not be at war and wipe each other out without the player" they went with "Make them have cheats up.... so they can fight wars forever ever and ever without the player". Why do I care what color the flags are? I'm taking everything eventually anyways! Make the AI suffer please!

Second : Cavalry is actually pretty sucky. So buying a warhorse for a Cav is lol nope nope nope. I'll use them from prisoners but they're really not that great. HA are okay but even they have been down graded over updates. Basically the main appeal of HA and Cav is just speed on map and being able to quickly move them in battle.

3rd: The best things in life (bannerlord) are free! You can produce Khans Guards (best unit in game) from raider prisoners, skipping the Warhorse, plus you can amass a lifetime of other Heavy Cav prisoners easily.

So really the whole thing is just a wet noodled attempt to make the beginning of the game harder on the player and nothing else. You can go to Aserai villages though and be asked to deliver the herd OF 10-15K of war horses though! Best if you sell them and buy more cheaper warhorses and you've got you 20 man Heavy Kuzait HA noob army that can wreck much larger parties with zero loss if you use them right.

So it's dum but I don't care.

I can get an imperial recruit and level him up to a legionary that has juggernaut armour for the cost of a pack of arrows.

But upgrading to horsemen requires buying horses twice. Why? All this does is to annoy the f out of players. I think that should be removed and horsed troops should get their 300 denar horses themselves, just like legionaries get ther +200k denar armour themselves.

Banner Knights have a pretty expensive gear set in addition to their horses.

Everybody wears armor and carries weapons.

Only cavalry troops require horses. Cavalry requires armor, weapons, saddles, AND horses.

Think yourselves lucky you don't have to buy another horse every time a cavalryman has a horse shot out from under them.

In the life of a cavalryman they might expect to have a horse shot out from under them several times, so you're probably going to recoup your stingy horse cost several times over.

^This!1St :The Bannerlord we were waiting for was supposed to make the AI lords suffer just like the player, but they dropped that immediately.

This project outlook was pretty much THE determining factor of a day1 buy for me. The thought of an AI and their economy so calibrated makes for instant game intrigue. To just drop it as "too hard....sorry" after the fact is kinda jaw dopping

Khuzait Horse Archers are especially a pain to upgrade. They need a normal horse just to get from pleb to noob horse archer and then the next upgrade you already need a warhorse.

Khuzait Horse Archers are especially a pain to upgrade. They need a normal horse just to get from pleb to noob horse archer and then the next upgrade you already need a warhorse.
That's actually not true, there's 2 tiers before they need the warhorse. It would actually be better for game balance if it was like that though, if only the t3 were mounted. That t2 tribal horseman is so annoying and abundant!

Do to the skill levels of the units there is a big difference in getting past a break point when you upgrade to t4 HA though. If you have clan member with dead aim it can help make t3 raider more accurate when moving.

I like the fact that you need horses tbh

I do agree that you should get the horse back if you then do the warhorse upgrade though.

Can anyone confirm if troops actually get and retain the horse they are upgraded with or if its fixed depending on culture?

Back
Top Bottom