Major issues that remain unaddressed in 1.2.5

Users who are viewing this thread

AI issues/game breaking bugs :

1. Troop behavior in field battles :
A. AI sends in one row of infantry to engage player shieldwall. The remaining infantry mill around in the back while dying to archers. No attempt is made to flank/overwhelm the player shieldwall or to engage the archers. AI infantry simply walks in circles while it dies to player archers
B. Cav cannot hit anything and can be ignored. Cav charging an exposed flank of player archers will not kill a substantial amount of archers before dying
C. Skirmishing infantry (wildlings, etc.) do not know that they are skirmishers. When mixed with sheildwall troops, they will run up front and die in melee.
D. Empire and Aserai armies will often move back and forth between two nearby hills while dying to player ranged fire.
F. AI armies/parties do not assign captains and do not benefit from captain perks.

2. Troop behavior in siege battles
A. Defending troops start a long walk away from their 'defensive' positions. Attacking archers often can get in place and kill the defenders as they trickle up to the walls one at a time
B. If the attacker breaks two breaches in the walls (with trebuchets, for example) and focuses attacks on one breach, defenders from the un-attacked breach will run outside in an attempt to reposition and die to archer fire.
C. Sieges force melee engagements in tight quarters (on towers or in breaches). This tight-quarter combat is a massive advantage to the player who often has high- tier units. The AI do not have any way to use the walls as a force multiplier.

3. Army Behavior
A. Large armies will chase small parties that they cannot catch, wasting huge amounts of time.
B. Small armies will walk past large enemy armies to begin a siege, get stuck in the siege, and get wiped.

4. Wanderers
A. Wanderers continue to teleport across the map instantly. As a player, walking from Marunath to dautistica to hire the only scout, getting to vostrum, and seeing that scout has teleported to ostican. This is not a feature that any player wants.
B. Wanderers still spawn with attributes and focus that do not make any sense

5. Marriage is currently bugged if the target faction is at war (related to either the clan leader or potential spouse being in an army, I believe)

Design problems:
1. Early game -
A. Due to the way trade goods spawn in, the early economy is deflationary. This means that trade is generally not a viable way to play, outside of some cheeky quick flips.
B. AI lords aggressively snap up all of the recruits on the map, meaning that recruiting and hunting bandits is generally not viable for a decent chunk of time
C. Having Nomadic traditions (75 riding) and to a lesser extent sweeping wind feel absolutely mandatory to being allowed to play the game
D. The result of the above is that the only thing to do the first 10-20 days is to kite looters with a horse an a bow. Despite the nerfs, it's still effective. It's also even more boring and grindy than it used to be. The only thing worse than 1 hour kiting looters with a horse + bow? 2 hours doing it before being allowed to play the game.
E. AI lords do not have access to many of the game's most powerful skills, and therefore cannot challenge a player that has a general understanding of the game.

2. Late game -
A. Clan expansion: Due to the war/tribute mechanics, the 'only'* way to grow a kingdom is to hire clans. This means that with 2-3 million denars and 200 charm the game is 100% won. The only question is how to get these things. Winning fights against the odds is not even meaningful - Being able to beat an entire faction with just the player's one clan result in every enemy kingdom declaring war on the player.
B. Recruiting clans is not meaningful or immersive - it is just a matter of grinding cash. Set up caravans and let the game run overnight? You won.
C. There are no mechanics to stop the player from snowballing. Once you are the strongest faction in the map, your clans can defend and slowly expand your kingdom while you go from fief to fief sieging without getting pressured at all
D. Generational systems are irrelevant, as the 'gameplay' portion of the game is 3-5 years, with a full conquest taking 6-10 years, depending on the patch.

*You can, of course go with the exploit route of never declaring a kingdom and just buy the map. You can also save up enough seed money to buy peace with everyone except for 1 faction and just win wars with your clan vs a kingdom one at a time due to weak AI. These are things that should probably not be possible with good design.

Suggestions:
1. First and foremost, the game has to fight back.
2. Prioritize the AI issues. The game should provide a challenging experience, and feel lived-in for those of us who also want to role-play.
3. Full rework of the clan recruitment system. Recruiting a clan should be a big deal. Passing the charm check could unlock a chain of quests that conclude with the recruitment of the clan. Examples: Win three army vs army fights while outnumbered by over 100 troops, Conquer target clan's 'ancestral' territory and gift back. Capture and hand over 10 lords of rival clans, etc.
4. Give AI lords support skills (or wanderers) that match their culture: Medic for Aserai, roguery for sturgia, etc.
5. Implement anti-snowball mechanics: Clans of eliminated kingdoms being absorbed into AI kingdoms, AI kingdoms merging/allying, etc.

I think that the deployment of 1.2.x should wait until 2024 until the bugs are sorted out.
I think the largest concern of myself and many I speak to is that taleworlds does not view these as problems. Some level of Jank is unavoidable, but Bannerlord just doesn't actually fight back against the player.

I think one thing is missing.
A main quest that adds no difference from sandbox in mid/end game. There should be a difference. The banner should do something.

A. AI sends in one row of infantry to engage player shieldwall. The remaining infantry mill around in the back while dying to archers. No attempt is made to flank/overwhelm the player shieldwall or to engage the archers. AI infantry simply walks in circles while it dies to player archers
This is intentional I believe to slow down battles somewhat. The A.I. no longer globs around formations, creating mosh-pit battles. Obviously there are pros and cons to this. I prefer it this way, and A.I. can actually raise shields against incoming projectiles at will, so I believe this is fair trade off.

B. Cav cannot hit anything and can be ignored. Cav charging an exposed flank of player archers will not kill a substantial amount of archers before dying
The bigger problem is they don't cycle charge right anymore. They barely get up to full speed before attacking again. Sending Cavalry after archers should be an easy win, but instead they get massacred. I mean if the archers are in a bog/water sure they might have a good advantage. But it's freaking dumb on a wide open field.

Cavalry is useless except for intercepting other cavalry, and chasing down fleeing enemies it seems. Though that is somewhat true to life, Cavalry have always been meant for "shock and awe", they lose most of their advantage when stuck in melee. Still for a medieval game you'd imagine heavily armored cavalry would be a fairly potent force.

C. Skirmishing infantry (wildlings, etc.) do not know that they are skirmishers. When mixed with sheildwall troops, they will run up front and die in melee.
D. Empire and Aserai armies will often move back and forth between two nearby hills while dying to player ranged fire.
ron-white-you-can%E2%80%99t-fix-stupid.gif

Okay TW could... sadly video game A.I. peaked around 2005-2010 in general. This game doesn't have the worst A.I. but it often leaves a LOT to be desired. Really not holding my breath since larger and better funded studios struggle with this.

F. AI armies/parties do not assign captains and do not benefit from captain perks.
Really? I'm quite certain they assign Captains, though they do like to Leeroy Jenkins charge still... I guess I can't comment on perks.

3. Army Behavior
A. Large armies will chase small parties that they cannot catch, wasting huge amounts of time.
B. Small armies will walk past large enemy armies to begin a siege, get stuck in the siege, and get wiped.
This is pretty bad, thought they fixed most of these issues. But I guess they are back, I've seen it some myself.

4. Wanderers
A. Wanderers continue to teleport across the map instantly. As a player, walking from Marunath to dautistica to hire the only scout, getting to vostrum, and seeing that scout has teleported to ostican. This is not a feature that any player wants.
Still complete planks of wood that don't react to anything. Don't know why people even care about them, only good for use as Captains/Governors. I really don't understand purpose of them moving everywhere.

1. Early game -
A. Due to the way trade goods spawn in, the early economy is deflationary. This means that trade is generally not a viable way to play, outside of some cheeky quick flips.
Yeah I've never liked this at game start. Trade is just not done well in this game. Realistically items should be consumed heavily, and production villages should produce a lot of said resource. Basically any Town that doesn't have Grape Villages, should always need Grapes. Especially if they are like on other side of map. You really can't "Trade" in this game since there's nothing like Trade Routes. Like you should be guaranteed a good profit if you take a ton of Wood to Aserai Lands, but nope.

C. There are no mechanics to stop the player from snowballing. Once you are the strongest faction in the map, your clans can defend and slowly expand your kingdom while you go from fief to fief sieging without getting pressured at all
D. Generational systems are irrelevant, as the 'gameplay' portion of the game is 3-5 years, with a full conquest taking 6-10 years, depending on the patch.
Well this is problem in general, not just player, and why there needs to be some form of Civil War mechanic. (I'd also like to see Culture shift/change over time too) There are mechanics to stop this, they just aren't good ones. A.K.A. the AI declaring multiple wars they can't really win...
CjLfBY.gif

The Diplomacy/Kingdom Management mechanics are quite pathetic for a game that is a battle/war simulator (well maybe it is just a battle simulator - cause everything else is pretty poor). Diplomacy/Kingdom Management should not be this underdeveloped after 3 years of Early Access.

I agree the generational aspect is irrelevant, but then again most folks probably don't want to run a campaign for 200+ hours. I don't dispute full conquest is possible in 10 years... but I also don't know why anyone wants to ram rod through the game that fast? Typically takes more like 20 years in my experience, and I've really only done so once, obviously much easier when you are a vassal.

Dont get me wrong alot of the things you state I'm 100% on board with, but some of it not so much.
Read the final part where you go on about "pushback" imo thats kind of hte problem in the current system, that you will snowball due to the pushback.
the ai bieng hellbent on never going for peace until, the get forced into because they are now being declaread war upon by 2-3 others.

I think the whole core mechanics that is flawed is the way war/peace is declared in the game.
Sadly imo the "causis belli" that Warband had, was that much better, and it also made most games feel that much "random".

Alot of theese things I think you may be looking at mods instea of the vanilla game(playing devils advocate for Taleworlds).

Example the issue with the wanderers which is just bs..
Diplomacy mod offers you the ability to send messengers(with fog of war effect or not - you can toggle it).
That way you can hire those you want that is far away without going for a wanderer only to find they've moved on by the time you get there.

Some of the design flaws you list, I dont get, I never struggled leveling up the skills you mention to that degree.
Swift wind - to be abit rude, I think your doing it wrong.
Leveling up rideing is supereasy... get a lance boom boom.
The dmg output on it means that you'll levle up pole + rideing in no time, getting to 75 in rideing is for me not a grind at all.
Just do some tradeing to get decent armor, decent polearm, decent soldiers even t1 type of archers to unleash fire upon the enemy, while you just zoom in like a cruisemissile and shred.(again you need decent armor vs some of the npc, cause a javelin do hurt like a truck)(useing a shield is also advised, cause if you see that they will throw it is better to not joust and instead block).

Dont get me wrong alot of the things you state I'm 100% on board with, but some of it not so much.
Read the final part where you go on about "pushback" imo thats kind of hte problem in the current system, that you will snowball due to the pushback.
the ai bieng hellbent on never going for peace until, the get forced into because they are now being declaread war upon by 2-3 others.

I think the whole core mechanics that is flawed is the way war/peace is declared in the game.
Sadly imo the "causis belli" that Warband had, was that much better, and it also made most games feel that much "random".

Alot of theese things I think you may be looking at mods instea of the vanilla game(playing devils advocate for Taleworlds).

Example the issue with the wanderers which is just bs..
Diplomacy mod offers you the ability to send messengers(with fog of war effect or not - you can toggle it).
That way you can hire those you want that is far away without going for a wanderer only to find they've moved on by the time you get there.

Some of the design flaws you list, I dont get, I never struggled leveling up the skills you mention to that degree.
Swift wind - to be abit rude, I think your doing it wrong.
Leveling up rideing is supereasy... get a lance boom boom.
The dmg output on it means that you'll levle up pole + rideing in no time, getting to 75 in rideing is for me not a grind at all.
Just do some tradeing to get decent armor, decent polearm, decent soldiers even t1 type of archers to unleash fire upon the enemy, while you just zoom in like a cruisemissile and shred.(again you need decent armor vs some of the npc, cause a javelin do hurt like a truck)(useing a shield is also advised, cause if you see that they will throw it is better to not joust and instead block).
It sounds like I didn't do a great job being clear.
1. The game is far too easy once you undrestand the basics. I'm talking about 'winning' in around 3 years and 15ish hours of play without abusing blatant exploits.
2. I'm not sure if you've played 1.2.6, but riding has been reworked to give massive penalties to mounted combat early game - ranged has a 1,500% decrease to accuracy. It's still easy to level, but it's just more time consuming. This is an attempt by TW to fix the fact that starting off with a horse+bow and kiting looters is orders of magnitude stronger than any other strategy (including those you describe). The nerfs don't change that - the best way to start a run is still to solo looters with a horse+bow, it just feels worse now

2. Troop behavior in siege battles
A. Defending troops start a long walk away from their 'defensive' positions. Attacking archers often can get in place and kill the defenders as they trickle up to the walls one at a time
B. If the attacker breaks two breaches in the walls (with trebuchets, for example) and focuses attacks on one breach, defenders from the un-attacked breach will run outside in an attempt to reposition and die to archer fire.
C. Sieges force melee engagements in tight quarters (on towers or in breaches). This tight-quarter combat is a massive advantage to the player who often has high- tier units. The AI do not have any way to use the walls as a force multiplier.

3. Army Behavior

4. Wanderers

5. Marriage is currently bugged if the target faction is at war (related to either the clan leader or potential spouse being in an army, I believe)

Design problems:
1. Early game -
B. AI lords aggressively snap up all of the recruits on the map, meaning that recruiting and hunting bandits is generally not viable for a decent chunk of time
C. Having Nomadic traditions (75 riding) and to a lesser extent sweeping wind feel absolutely mandatory to being allowed to play the game
D. The result of the above is that the only thing to do the first 10-20 days is to kite looters with a horse an a bow. Despite the nerfs, it's still effective. It's also even more boring and grindy than it used to be. The only thing worse than 1 hour kiting looters with a horse + bow? 2 hours doing it before being allowed to play the game.
E. AI lords do not have access to many of the game's most powerful skills, and therefore cannot challenge a player that has a general understanding of the game.

2. Late game -
A. Clan expansion: Due to the war/tribute mechanics, the 'only'* way to grow a kingdom is to hire clans. This means that with 2-3 million denars and 200 charm the game is 100% won. The only question is how to get these things. Winning fights against the odds is not even meaningful - Being able to beat an entire faction with just the player's one clan result in every enemy kingdom declaring war on the player.
B. Recruiting clans is not meaningful or immersive - it is just a matter of grinding cash. Set up caravans and let the game run overnight? You won.

*You can, of course go with the exploit route of never declaring a kingdom and just buy the map. You can also save up enough seed money to buy peace with everyone except for 1 faction and just win wars with your clan vs a kingdom one at a time due to weak AI. These are things that should probably not be possible with good design.

Suggestions:
1. First and foremost, the game has to fight back.
2. Prioritize the AI issues. The game should provide a challenging experience, and feel lived-in for those of us who also want to role-play.
3. Full rework of the clan recruitment system. Recruiting a clan should be a big deal. Passing the charm check could unlock a chain of quests that conclude with the recruitment of the clan. Examples: Win three army vs army fights while outnumbered by over 100 troops, Conquer target clan's 'ancestral' territory and gift back. Capture and hand over 10 lords of rival clans, etc.
4. Give AI lords support skills (or wanderers) that match their culture: Medic for Aserai, roguery for sturgia, etc.
5. Implement anti-snowball mechanics: Clans of eliminated kingdoms being absorbed into AI kingdoms, AI kingdoms merging/allying, etc.
Very nice list, here is some of my feedback on this:
1: Can't say I experienced any of these, but they do seem bad. I did not know that about E specifically. This might be a design choice though. The point would be to give player a big power spike for having captains. I am not saying I agree with this, just what it could be.
2: Again, never really paid too much attention to this. Not really sure how to address 2C, it's kind of the whole point of sieges and choke point.
3: I have seen this, ridiculous. Needs to be updated.
4: Not really a big issue for me with the teleportation. They don't move often. When it happens it's pretty unlucky. As to skills/attributes, to me they are too predictable. Literally the same evertime. I wish there was some randomization. In Prophesu of Pendor, each companion had a set amount of skill points, +5 distiributed randomly on top. So you get in theory someone with normally 5 bow skill end up with 10 (though this would be ridiculously unlikely). I think randomization is key for good replay value.
5: Never seen this, but bad if there is some bug

Design problems:

1A: I like the first week or two. The trading becomes really interesting. But for me part of the fun is the randomness and unpredictability. Buy oil for 70 then go to some other town and find price of 700!!!! After this interesting period the trade become very boring. Always same thing. Buy olives in Vlandia, furs in the north, horses in Aserai etc.
1B: never really seen this being so bad. But I guess I don't recruit aggresively enough.
1C: Don't agree here. Nice to haves but not necessary at all
1D: I don't feel the need to do this ever. If the purpose it to level up, there are tons of ways to doing repetitive things like fighting forever in the arena, going around to take part in tournaments, doing trading circles around the map. You can sit around and starve your army to gain medicine. You can run around doing quests to get charm. You can literally do something like play board games for dozens of hours for money, etc. So there is nothing special about doing cirles as cav archer around looters.
1E: this is true. This is pretty much true for most games. AI either lacks all player options or cheats (money, experience, extra troops from nowhere etc) It's very hard to make an AI that is both "smart" and fun to play against. Some powerful skills/stats are hard for AI to employ smartly.

2. Late game -
This is the weakest part of the game. Agreed with all points. So much so that I pretty much never finish a sandbox campaing. As soon as I get to a point where vicotry is assured and the only thing remaining is a slog, I just start over. As a complete tangent, I recently read that many generals during WW2 felt this in the last year of the war. Both sides kind of knew who would win in the long run, but what remained was a brutal slog. This is in contrast to ordinary soldiers for whom the struggle was real even in literally the last day of the war as they could always lose (ie die or get really hurt).

I support all the suggestions!

The one about AI lords getting companions is quite a good idea, though this would require 100s of wanderers. I would like this if wanderers were more varied and their death chance was higher.

It sounds like I didn't do a great job being clear.
1. The game is far too easy once you undrestand the basics. I'm talking about 'winning' in around 3 years and 15ish hours of play without abusing blatant exploits.
2. I'm not sure if you've played 1.2.6, but riding has been reworked to give massive penalties to mounted combat early game - ranged has a 1,500% decrease to accuracy. It's still easy to level, but it's just more time consuming. This is an attempt by TW to fix the fact that starting off with a horse+bow and kiting looters is orders of magnitude stronger than any other strategy (including those you describe). The nerfs don't change that - the best way to start a run is still to solo looters with a horse+bow, it just feels worse now
I play on the current beta that is live 1.26.

I dont feel that its as bad as you describe.

Maybe because we play and or level things different.

Read I typically go into bandit lairs to take out those to lvl up my bow.
For rideing I skill up with a lance.

For me it feels pretty "good" but again its totally subjective.

How you manage to win in 3 years, seems abit excessive fast imo.
Maybe you should try playing on hardest difficulty?

Maybe you have evolved beyond the vanilla, and should start playing with mods?

Keep in mind that not all the players will have as fast a learning curve as you have in terms of mechanics etc, so they got to balance it out, so its not to overwhelming for those new to the game either.

Ideally some of the features they have should be MCM so we the players could set things different based on our preferences (I think the endless state of war that the game offers is tanking the fun out of it, I miss the rng from Warband).

I play on the current beta that is live 1.26.

I dont feel that its as bad as you describe.

Maybe because we play and or level things different.

Read I typically go into bandit lairs to take out those to lvl up my bow.
For rideing I skill up with a lance.

For me it feels pretty "good" but again its totally subjective.

How you manage to win in 3 years, seems abit excessive fast imo.
Maybe you should try playing on hardest difficulty?

Maybe you have evolved beyond the vanilla, and should start playing with mods?

Keep in mind that not all the players will have as fast a learning curve as you have in terms of mechanics etc, so they got to balance it out, so its not to overwhelming for those new to the game either.

Ideally some of the features they have should be MCM so we the players could set things different based on our preferences (I think the endless state of war that the game offers is tanking the fun out of it, I miss the rng from Warband).
I'm on the hardest difficulty for all settings.

The game isn't 'hard'. The core design is that the AI simply does not have the tools to fight back vs a player who knows the basic mechanics and how to use time effectively. Mods are not a solution- the core mechanics need more iterations to be functional.
The AI SHOULD be able to counter many of the strategies I'm using. I should not be able to win a sige with 150 random cheap infantry/archers into an 800 stack of defenders, but I can. It's not skill, its just that the AI doesn't answer many strategies. Mods may claim to fix AI, but they cannot. They can just modify some internal sliders that TW already has in the game.

I should not be able to win even fights with virtually no causalities, but I can. It's not skill, it is due to AI underperformance at the tactical and unit level. You can go into custom battles and check yourself. Here's an example of how weak the AI is:

Even 50/50 fight with the character not fighting and no captains perks. The 'two straight lines' strategy absolutely dominates the AI. This is clearly an issue.

AI armies are just free resources. They will walk past my army, get stuck in a siege, and die. That should not happen, etc.

Back
Top Bottom