The RUSSIA thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Not really, no, but I’ll recap for you.

If anything the article may give that impression by pointing towards a sudden spike in recruitment levels during the period of unrest in Ukraine. 

The headline/article which we were discussing attempts to link recent events and the subsequent anxiety/fear it has generated with a spike in recruitment numbers and while I am certain it is a contributing factor; I think that headlines which attempt to attribute a particular trend to a singular emotive reason, one which is difficult to quantify, are likely somewhat presumptuous/inaccurate/misleading especially when they mention in the same article that not everyone is joining up for said reason, omit the fact that the organizations have operated long before current events (to which they attribute the spike), fail to consider reasons beyond fear and anxiety of Russian aggression (such as organizational exposure on TV, nationalism, fitness and military enthusiasm etc), misquote figures and generally painting an impression of anxiety based on a small sample of the population overall.

The underlying point being that I believe most headlines don’t paint a picture that is wholly accurate or in line with the article’s content, mainly for the sake of expediency and generating interest in otherwise bland or boring subject matters. At other times it’s possible that the article itself paints an inaccurate picture or over generalizes. 

That's because it's a news article, not a scientific research.

Then again, all you do is question the article and give a few alternative factors yet do not bother to back them up by proof. Yes, it's possible that Russian aggression is not the biggest factor, but it's also possible Putin is secretly an FBI agent who is trying to wreck the Russian economy. They name just one soldier in the article, but it's likely they interviewed more and managed to get a good insight on their reasoning. As far as I know, there is no sudden rise in organizational exposure on TV, nationalism, fitness and military enthusiasm, but even if there was, it could easily be BECAUSE of Russian aggression.

Headlines never give the full insight on the article. It's why they are called headlines, and not 'full articles'.

Vicccard said:
That's because it's a news article, not a scientific research.

Then again, all you do is question the article and give a few alternative factors yet do not bother to back them up by proof.

That's because I am forum poster and not a scientist.

What exactly would you like backed up? From the article itself:

Not all of the increase is due to Ukraine — patriotism and uniformed service are becoming more fashionable among younger Poles, and the military does offer a stable career — but Mr. Putin’s shadow has certainly accelerated the trend, he said.

Yes, it's possible that Russian aggression is not the biggest factor, but it's also possible Putin is secretly an FBI agent who is trying to wreck the Russian economy. They name just one soldier in the article, but it's likely they interviewed more and managed to get a good insight on their reasoning.

Yes a 16 year old and an 11 year old. Either way I doubt that everyone that joins is doing so out of fear/anxiety in regards to Russia. Like I said its likely a major factor but generalizations tend to distort the picture. Yes its a news article and I don't expect any better but that's how the conversation kind of started.

As far as I know,

Most of my discussions with you in the past have demonstrated that you tend to know very little.

there is no sudden rise in organizational exposure on TV, nationalism, fitness and military enthusiasm, but even if there was, it could easily be BECAUSE of Russian aggression.

Headlines never give the full insight on the article. It's why they are called headlines, and not 'full articles'.

Yes and true to form you've backed that up with a single sentence. Well done.

From the euro article I linked earlier:

Kuba Ciężkowski has also noticed more people joining his organisation. “But it doesn’t mean that we didn’t train or do anything before the Ukraine crisis. The crisis just drew attention to us. People [Poles] have sometimes never heard about us, so maybe because of the attention, they saw an opportunity to serve the country,” he explains.

No **** sherlock. That's what we've been discussing the past few posts but more to the point that we're often dissapointed by the content of articles not accurately reflecting what's in the headline.

Good luck with that. I am not advocating for us to change what we read. Its precisely because all of them engage in it that we go into this discussion in the first place and If more people understood that about headlines we wouldn't be having this chat (go back a page).

All you've established is that you're capable of misreading that headline, not that they were engaging in what you accused them of.

Which is what happens when the headline is ambiguous.

You already mentioned the headline could have been clarified.

Either way I couldn't care less about the article itself; just the point that content of articles is often underwhelming given the headlines.

You mean in regards to misleading vs being underwhelmed?

Look when I read the headline "Poles Steel for Battle, Fearing Russia will march on them next" I expected to read about large scale preparations for a potential war. Instead I read about a handful of young cadets training with rubber toy guns for a variety of different reasons whom the article states won't be used in a military confrontation (at least not outside their own initiative).

I felt misled Mage... I felt... violated.... *sob*

Sweden finally found the russian submarine - on the bottom of the ocean. Crew probably inside, dead. Putin most likely told them to never resurface again :razz:

They said in the article it was 20 meters long, also they haven't brought it up yet.

(edit: why delete your post, now I look like a filthy double-poster)

A Russian employee of a Technical University in my country got fired last year for spying on technology designed to built supercomputers. The news got out recently.

Can't fight nature, I suppose.

Mixedpotatoes said:
Nevermind, it was apparently from WW1 or something.

Unbelievable. They're actually using old WW1 subs to invade Sweden's waters so that they have plausible deniability if they actually get sunk... bastards.

Yes I r joking :razz:

Russia vetoes UN security council resolution to establish an international tribunal to investigate and punish the responsible for MH17. Vote fails 11-1 (3 abstentions).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33710088

Back
Top Bottom