The Noble Longbow

Users who are viewing this thread

In todays game I bought what I think is the best bow in the game; The Noble Longbow with
95 pierce damage
. So my question is.. Arbalest Crossbow have 89 damage.. Is there a crossbow which is even more deadly than this longbow?

To be fair, that longbow costs more than my wife. It darn well better have amazing damage.

Crossbows don't seem fully implemented yet. The only one I've ever seen costs 20,000 denars and there doesn't seem to be cheaper or more expensive versions of it yet.

I think that High levels crossbows should be allowed to characters without requirement with some big penalty. Having only strenght as requirement made crossbows unique in warband.

Crossbows were not more powerful then bows. People often look at the poundage of crossbows and see huge numbers, but poundage (draw weight) does not directly translate in to energy weapon gives to projectile.

Crossbows have much shorter draw lengths, therefore there is less time for energy transfer. Crossbows have shorter limbs and made of denser or thicker material and thicker strings, therefore more energy is lost during transfer to things like heat.

Crossbow bolts are much shorter, therefore less stable in flight causing faster energy "bleed" due to friction.

Crossbows were not more powerful then bows. People often look at the poundage of crossbows and see huge numbers, but poundage (draw weight) does not directly translate in to energy weapon gives to projectile.

Crossbows have much shorter draw lengths, therefore there is less time for energy transfer. Crossbows have shorter limbs and made of denser or thicker material and thicker strings, therefore more energy is lost during transfer to things like heat.

Crossbow bolts are much shorter, therefore less stable in flight causing faster energy "bleed" due to friction.

This. The only balance is that you can aim crossbow for however long you want, and in warband it needed fewer skill points.

The Hickory Crossbow is the best one I've seen, but still not as good as the Noble Warbow. And Archery skill gives a damage bonus as well as accuracy and speed bonuses, while Crossbow skills only give accuracy and speed bonus so a crossbow would need to do enormous base damage to come close to that bow

In todays game I bought what I think is the best bow in the game; The Noble Longbow with
95 pierce damage
. So my question is.. Arbalest Crossbow have 89 damage.. Is there a crossbow which is even more deadly than this longbow?
Maybe this will be useful (from e1.1.0.224785 )
2aAVI4h.jpg

I thought it was common knowledge that crossbow had more penetration abillity than bows thus more damage.

I guess the major advantage a crossbow could have over a (long) bow would have been the ease of use that was relying on strength (if at all) rather than a combination of strength, endurance and skill as in case of the bow.
That enabled basically every recruit to wield a crossbow with minimal instruction. Low cost and immediate value.

The upside of crossbows in medieval time was that you could give crossbow to any peasant and tell them to point and shoot and they could learn it fast and easy. The crossbows were inferior to normal longbows and composite bows in range and accuracy.

Additional major advantages of the crossbow apart from the regularly mentioned reduced training.

Better aiming position:
Akin to a modern rifle you can use it out of cover only exposing a part of your head where you carry a helmet anyway.
Makes it great in siege defense and any kind of terrain that you can use to your advantage and also together with Pavise shield.
Bows especially strong warbows require a special pose to draw them fully and room that has you exposed more.

Able to hold tension:
Able to preload and have ready for a short time. Enables things like ambush positions or again moving out of cover quickly with preloaded again good for castle defense. Also enables other peoples to load for you like a Squire and hand you the crossbow. Should not hold it very long though you can do that with a modern crossbow but probably with a medieval one they would not have wanted to do that because of material impurities etc.

Better for storage:
Crossbow bolts can be made simpler and with simpler wooden fletchings and stored in barrels where you usually need more complex fletchings for bows that can't be stored for decades in a castle armory. Same for the crossbow itself compared to bow and sinew with things like humidity etc.

So its the perfect weapon for the defense of your local castle. Especially lets say you have a dozen Knights, men at arms and Squires in some castle in France or Germany. None of them is probably able to shoot a warbow well nor can you train them to do so if they have not learned that for ages already. But they are well armored and trained in melee combat and now you give them a few crossbows and have a few hundred bolts stored and that should be enough to add a significant ranged threat to your castle defenses.

Crossbows were not more powerful then bows.
Man. It doesnt matter. Becouse we are in the game, and game should be balanced. Or all crossbows and full skill tree will be useless.

In warband crossbows have many weaknesses, but:
1) they deal tons of damage
2) they dont require any skillpoints.

Right now crossbows in bannerlord just a much worse version of a bow.

It would be great if they make crossbows usable together with Pavise shields and have a special stance for shooting in cover from walls to give you a smaller silhouette for counter fire.

Man. It doesnt matter. Becouse we are in the game, and game should be balanced.

If somebody makes argument based on the assumption that crossbows should do more damage because in reality they did more damage, then yes, it matters. Because in reality they did not.

Or all crossbows and full skill tree will be useless.

In warband crossbows have many weaknesses, but:
1) they deal tons of damage
2) they dont require any skillpoints.

Right now crossbows in bannerlord just a much worse version of a bow.

You can hold crossbow loaded and run with it around, you can't do that with bow. You can aim crossbow indefinitely, you can't do that with bow. So there are pros that you have ignored.

Moreover it's not crossbows that are unbalanced in the Bannerlord, it's bows that are. In Warband bow had a strength requirement and it's damage scaled with the draw skill, which it should have. In Bannerlord you can use any bow without restriction.

If you want balance, fix bows, not crossbows, as there is nothing wrong with them currently.

Back
Top Bottom