SP Medieval The Golden Horde (new screens 8th feb)

Users who are viewing this thread

Weaver,

There is not much I dispute with what you say. But in the period where this mod is set (c.1350), Tver had been the dominant power in the east for the past half-century. It had, since 1304, held both the Grand Prince of Vladimir yarlik and the princely title of Novgorod for much of that time period. It was the big bully of the block and clearly "first among equals".

Now, Muscovy was a rising power, yes. And this mod hits at exactly the moment when Muscovy was in the process of displacing Tver (or rather, Tver was self-destructing, Muscovy took the opportunity :wink:). But it would be misleading to call that entire eastern complex "Muscovites". I am not suggesting that it be called Tverians, or Suzdalites or what not. But a neutral term should be sought.

What I think is the right & proper compromise is to call them "Vladimirians", since, up until 1364, that whole complex of states was known as the Grand Principality of Vladimir, that was the formal title of the khan's yarlik, etc.

To clarify the point, by Vladimir I mean the Grand Principality of pre-1364 which included Muscovy, Tver, Suzdal, Nizhnigorod, etc. within it, not the later state of "Vladimir-Suzdal".

On other points:

-- I agree with keeping Novgorodians separate. Indeed, the Republic of Novgorod was not formally part of the GH's domains, but they cooperated with the system by granting their own princely title to one of the Russian vassal princes, frequently (but not always) the same as the recipient of the GH's Grand Prince yarlik.

-- Galicians was suggested for simplicity's sake. And you're right about Ruthenians being under direct GH rule, so perhaps they can be extinguished as a faction. (Although, IIRC, that region was a power base for many an "anti-khan" and so could be kept for that sake.)

...A little something i'm working on to use in some cities
elship9yy.jpg

We plan to make ferry travel to lands away from the map, And there is a certain possibility of some ship combat in future versions.

i have been making some shields. the Goal is at least 11 teardrop shields for russians, a few for magyars and lithuanians, some roundshields for russian militia

shields2jq.jpg

I know a lot of you are suckers for the European swords...

eurosword12tj.jpg

Keep in mind that these models will look much better ingame than they do here, due to specular effects etc...

khalid, so we base on same facts but have slightly different conclusions. that's normal. :smile:
dreadus good shields. those with umbons look almost authentic.
here go some rus swords: http://xortiza.dazh.org/gridnitza/klinkovoe.htm
and that's how rus (specifically novgorod) ships looked like in XIII cent.
http://www.morflot.tsi.ru/rus_flot_1696-1917/vidi_korabl&batalii/vidi_korablei/1136-1917/history_1.html it's called ladya. sorry, couldn't find a better pic. :sad:

I see some cool Jambiya style daggers in there, And yes, i will get onto making more swords.

I love the ship references, Ill "ship" them off to Llew asap :wink:

These guys served in Alexander Nevskiy's army. he was the prince of Novgorod in XIII century, so i guess they will fit. hope it helps.

AN-1.jpg

1. novgorod trumpeter
2. novgorod infantry heavy pikeman
3. novgorod drummer
4. some musician
5. prussian horseman (nevskiy's mercenary)
6. prussian infantry

AN-2.jpg

1. vladimir-suzdal banner bearer
2. dismounted heavy horseman (aristocrat)
3. horse archer
4. heavy horse archer
5. novgorod militia

AN-3.jpg

1. prince
2. heavy horseman (aristocrat)
3. horse pikeman
4. novgorod crossbowman
5. archer (voluntary recruit)
6. vladimir infantry

AN-4.jpg

1. prince or warchief
2. banner bearer
3. horseman aristocrat
4. horse archer
5. prussian horseman
6. novgorod infantry
7. novgorod crossbowman

I LOVE these Eastern Uniforms and Shields and Stuff, i think they look much more interesting than most western european equipment of the same time.

Khalid ibn Walid said:
Weaver,

There is not much I dispute with what you say. But in the period where this mod is set (c.1350), Tver had been the dominant power in the east for the past half-century. It had, since 1304, held both the Grand Prince of Vladimir yarlik and the princely title of Novgorod for much of that time period. It was the big bully of the block and clearly "first among equals"

We changed it to be around c.1250, the time of mongol invasion of hungary and poland.

Thankyou for this information. I will be going to camp tomorrow morning, and i should be back in 5 days time. Python will provide any updates until then.

Dreadus said:
Thankyou for this information. I will be going to camp tomorrow morning, and i should be back in 5 days time. Python will provide any updates until then.

good just make sure you release this before the weekend, and there might not be any trouble. :twisted:

Ok, Im back from the desert. It was ****, but i got some paintings done :razz:
Golden Horde is back in action.

Back
Top Bottom