SP Medieval The Golden Horde (new screens 8th feb)

Users who are viewing this thread

Id like to see some lone, individual knights on the map, that you could engage in a duel/single combat in the field...A dueling option in the field (outside of tournaments) would be very much appreciated by several players that I know and was very popular in that Templar mod we played long ago.

This is of course very relevant historically (see Sienkiewicz's sources on his novel about the Teutonic Order-Poland conflict) as not only did duels take place during this time, but they took place all over medieval Europe throughout the middle ages; knights served in various duchies and fiefdoms all over Europe, and would uptake the long road back to their home nation when the call to arms was sounded. When they met a knight of the rival kingdom on his trek home (or during any other time for that matter), honour would typically be at stake and a duel would commence.

These duels could occasionally be fought on horseback, but typically (and Id really like to see this in the game) on foot without shields (ie a single handed sword, as that would be at hand for a mounted knight). Foot duels would last longer and really made the Templar mod special. (The 1960 movie Krzyzacy ["Knights of the Cross"], which was reviewed by both Polish and German historians, featured several such sword-on-sword duels).

In terms of coding, this would be particularly easy to do, as you would just make an army type of one (one man), so you wouldnt really be modifying anything per se. Of course, we wouldnt want to run into single peasants...these would be only the most powerful, elite knights that would dare to travel alone, and would add some great, non-tourney combat flavour to the game.

We have discussed making "other yous" which are enemy characters with their own equipment etc, perhaps an Alexander Nevskii and a Batu and things like that, who go around on their own doing similar stuff to you. They have their own army, and theyre ridiculously tough.

i like mr. k's idea, except i wouldn't say have the knight be totally alone, he'd most likely have a couple squires with him, i imagine. i would also like an option to duel enemy leaders, which, upon winning, would make the enemy run from you (maybe there's a way to make the enemy frightened of you for a while, like for 200 seconds they will run away from you?)

Patrick-thank you, Im glad you agree. I really like youre idea about challenging enemy leaders as well.

Dreadus-npcs (or other yous) would of course be the ideal solution, but that would require a lot of time/hard work. Simply making several very tough knights patrol the map OR implementing the "challenge leader to a sword duel" rule (during the pre-battle speaking phase), as Patrick said, would achieve the desired effect as well, and would be far easier on you guys (and far quicker for us to play :grin: ).

making a new lamellar for the mongols
lamellar2lm.jpg

and a heavy horse
heavyhorse3vh.jpg

I am implementing the following new commodities:

flax
hemp
hashish
spices
gems
blades
wax
honey
lumber
silver
glassware
silks

sadly now it's time for me to go to a class. I will be back in ~4 hours, and hopefully will have some new ingame screenshots :smile:

Well, I don't usually comment much, but I'm definitely watching the stuff you guys keep coming up with on the mod and I'm definitely looking forward to it. The quality of your work tends to be so good that repeatedly saying "great work" would get rather repetitive anyway. :smile:

Okay, the lamellar could be a bit thinner; it looks really thick standing out from the mail.
Can't see anything else to criticize at the moment from the last stuff posted.

Back
Top Bottom