SP Medieval The Golden Horde (new screens 8th feb)

Users who are viewing this thread

That morningstar shaft looks a little weird to me,but nifty model nevertheless, wouldn't wanna be on the receiving end of that thing.

Started getting some props in...
walls18hm.jpg

Dreadus said:

New screenshot of our custom reticle and one of our crossbow models

Dreadus the mob is gettin impatient. i think i speak for all of us when i say unleash the beast soon!!! :lol:

Since the port to .73x, it isnt that much different from vanilla in terms of actual gameplay. I need to reposition, rename all the towns, make some new towns, fix up our trading to be historically accurate, add new commodities, and add in some more troops (which is easy but boring :razz:)

Khalid ibn Walid said:
Excellent summary Galizien.

Just a suggestion on simplifying the names:

Northern -- Novgorodians
Western -- Galicians
Southern -- Ruthenians
Eastern -- Russians

(Muscovites really wouldn't do as in 13th/14th C., the dominant power was Tver. The whole eastern collection could be more properly referred to as Vladimirians, which is what the Grand Prince's yarlik was named, but that just sounds awkward. Since the "Russian" state is born out of Vladimir collection, I don't think it would be too off-putting.)

What about calling them the Kievan Rus?

Dreadus said:
What about calling them the Kievan Rus?

You mean for the Vladimir region (eastern) states? And bit awkward since Kiev was nowhere near there. The Kievan heartland was in the southern/Ruthenian region. :wink:

Besides, Kievan Rus had been broken up long before the Mongol invasion.

In my mind, it really boils down to one of three choices: Vladimirians (most accurate) or Russians (non-comittal) or Muscovites (misleading but acceptable I guess).

Vladimirians is ok.
I mean basically they are all russians, would be like calling saxons saxons, bavarians bavarians, and hessians germans ^^

dreadus is going to be on camp for a week, soon after he gets back we will probably "unleash the beast"

I never felt right playing a horse archer in vanilla, I seemed so out of place. Now I can truly command a force to be feared! Or, just an annoying group of ineffective horse-archers, if they are anything like steppe bandits... :razz: Looking forward to it.

(Yes, i post in every mod thread, and yes, I have nothing to do besides play M&B. This is what happens when I am in the last semester of high school, and already accepted into colleges :cool:)

Merentha said:
I never felt right playing a horse archer in vanilla, I seemed so out of place. Now I can truly command a force to be feared! Or, just an annoying group of ineffective horse-archers, if they are anything like steppe bandits... :razz: Looking forward to it.

(Yes, i post in every mod thread, and yes, I have nothing to do besides play M&B. This is what happens when I am in the last semester of high school, and already accepted into colleges :cool:)

I think you'll find they're significantly more deadly than crappy step bandits and black khergits put together. :grin:

Khalid you're not quite right. Tver never was a dominant power. since Kiev Rus ceased to be a united state and until the rise of moskovia and kulikovskaya battle none of rus principalities posed any serious political power. principalities were mostly called after capital cities and there were much more than just four. the most powerful and the largest were novgorod, moscovia, galicia-volinian, vladimir-suzdal, tver and ryazan principalities. Kiev and lands to the south were under direct control of golden horde and ruthenians - is just a latin name for rus. mentioned above principalities payed tribute to golden horde and their princes could not reign without khan's yarlik. plus there was constant warfare between principalities and against lithuanians and nomads. i would say that principalities were equal in strength which is indicated by constant warfare and very few actual conquests. and year 1380 is actually the end of golden horde and rise of moscovian empire.
so i would suggest to call all rus - just rus. if you want diversity - make a couple of rus cities and just call denizens by former's names. like moscow - moscovites, novgorod - novgorodians, etc. because ethnically they were all rus, there were no such nation as moscovites or galicians. as for example look at medieval italy or germany. they were divided into dozens of principalities but actually they were of same culture, language, ethnos.

guys i like what you're doing and i want to help a bit. i've read the thread and may i comment on some details..
about historical names for the troops:
voi (voin) - is a plain warrior. ratnik and druzhinnik are regular soldiers. druzhina - is prince's army (classical outfit of druzhinnik - chainmail hauberk, sword, waterdrop-like shield, conical helmet with chain mask. sometimes a spear, sometimes a sabre, sometimes a round shield). gryden - one of personal bodygards of the prince. boyar - an aristocrat. he is not necessary a warrior, sometimes they were just advisors. but as warriors they had the best outfit, the most expensive armour and weapons, not regarding of fighting on foot or mounted. and kmet is just a plain peasant with an axe or pitchfork. :smile: horseman is vsadnik. swordsman is mechnik, archer is luchnik. :smile: and who the hell kipchaks are? :smile:
i hope its not too late and i can be of some use.

Back
Top Bottom