The bane of my existence is...... *post your most hated foe here*

Users who are viewing this thread

So today started out like any normal day, killing villagers, hijacking caravans, robbing people blind, etc etc, UNTIL I found a group of deserters..... How can 25 swadian veteran sharpshooters take out a 200 man army?!? I mean I killed most of the idiots myself but so many bolts into my back made me get knocked out, and then most of my men got killed or routes.....

Large deserter parties of rhodok sharpshooters. Even with a large group of knights they are a challenge, so i usually sit back and watch my men die, or aviod them like the plague. :evil:

Herald said:
Large deserter parties of rhodok sharpshooters. Even with a large group of knights they are a challenge, so i usually sit back and watch my men die, or aviod them like the plague. :evil:

Counter them with Rhodok Sharpshooters and some cavalry of yourself, but have your RSS Cease Fire first. Position them closely packed at the start, so they all face their boardshields to the enemy. Send your cavalry away to a far corner. If the enemy RSS park themselves on a hill, move your RSS forward until the enemy starts shooting at them.

Try to keep as far away as possible as long as the enemy fires at your RSS. At maximum range even RSS become inaccurate and a lot of power is taken from the missiles. The board shields of your RSS will stop the few bolts that will actually hit your troops. When they are out of ammo, position your RSS relatively close, have your cavalry charge/distract them (preferably from behind), and then let your RSS fire at will.

Using this tactic will only cause minimal losses.

I  don't raid villages for the above reasons and as i am constantly at war with the rhodoks i only use rss for garrison duty but it is a good tip. Might try that with sss.

Sea raiders.

Doesn't matter about party size. In the beginning it is that group of 6 or 7 that always manage to track me down when I have a small army (of maybe 20) which are mostly low level troops and just get violated by them.

Then late game they just annoy me because every so often 4 or 5 of the parties will gang up on me. I don't care for pointless battles.... also it always seems to happen when I am about to take a break but want to get to town so I don't forget to sell my loot or whatever business I have there when I get back. Then I get dragged into a battle.

Mid game however I love them... if whatever faction I am serving is not at war I hunt them down for prisoners and loot to fill my coffers.

Desert or steppe bandits are very annoying. Without a significant cavalry arm they are hard to fight, and for the effort expended they don't drop very nice loot either. Not to mention they are annoyingly fast on the campaign map, so they are hard to catch when you want to fight them, but even harder to run away from when you don't.

With bandit/deserter party sizes ramped up through TweakMB, I occasionally see large-ish bands of Swadian men-at-arms or Khergit lancers. I always, always pay them off. :S

@ blackfish! For shame!!

I honestly didn't think there was anything I particularly hated but Blackfish reminds me that early game small Lancer groups are a total bastard to avoid. But actually my vote goes to Steppe Bandits - we must have all seem the way Ichamur is bandit central and for someone who has shifted away to using infantry armies recently I just can't catch the buggers even when they are 200 strong and more - AND - when they scatter in all directions from the hideout they find friends and before you know it your slow foot army is deluged by fast big groups of bandits converging from all around!

So when your in the battle itself you reassure yourself - oh they're only weak bandits - the infantry will swat them - no probs - thing is they are on top of you before your infantry line has assembled and some get through to the vulnerable archers and you can guarantee some have lances couched which means your carefully put together army of 100 infantry and 100 archers has to be replenished with the one or two soldiers who fell.

Hrrrgh!!

Then again maybe Sea Raiders - tough with longbows and sheilds - I always laugh through most sea raider battles because of what they say when you meet them.

Nah - Steppe Bandits

- bloody Steppe Bandits

Forest Bandits. They really annoy me - too many bad experiences when starting out a fresh game and getting captured again and again by them - 25+ strong groups of them near Suno? Grrr...

Sea raiders...

With Tweak MB I upped the amount of "bands" they can have and increased their max size to 100.
so much fun starting out as a nord and there just happens to be 74+ sea raiders right next to Sargoth *shudder*

Mid game I try to avoid them as much as possible around Rivacheg... there's a lot of 100+ sea raiders so I can easily get dragged into a battle of 400+
(I also use Battlesizer at 1000 so all those raiders are on the field at once :shock:)

Lord Brutus said:
Indeed it is, but later, when you need new recruits, those looted villages turn a deaf ear.

I don't think that is a problem - you only need a few villages to recruit from (preferably from your favorite faction). What is a real problem with playing bad however is how low reputation makes certain aspects of the game unreachable (good luck trying to become a ruler with worst possible honor).

On topic: Desert/steppe bandits have to be the most annoying, simply because they will usually attack you when you don't need another attack, and are near impossible to engage otherwise...

I hate desert bandits and steppe bandits. I'd say the worst though is when you come upon a group of khegrit deserters. But if you want the guys I hate the most then you can go for the Nords and there whole bloody faction. STOP RAIDING MY VILLAGES YOU LITTLE SH!Ts.

The bane of my existence is villagers.

They make too tempting a target not to attack, then I have a whole faction after me.

Khergits. The whole bloody faction. And those few annoying Rhodok lords who are smart enough to position all their troops on the highest peak they can find and just sit there until we advance. Really makes me want a hwacha.

But really, the Khergits.

Back
Top Bottom