TaleWorlds Should Consider Paying Modders

Users who are viewing this thread

Why would they pay modders? Joking aside, it would be nice, but it requires a level of trust I don't think many have in the modding scene for TaleWorlds.

Honestly dont understand this point -what do you mean it requires a level of trust? By who -TW? The mods are going to be made regardless, TW realizes on some level that they have damaged some relations with their base PC community but have already made a financial killing with preSales not even including the newest release with Consoles.

So $500,000 is not alot of money relative to their profit and again not only is it positive PR stunt for them and a bridge to us and outside aspiring coders, it will also sell more copies of their game reclaiming some of their investment. having witnessed the entire event unfold for Bohemia and knowing a few of the Winners personally -some were still B*tching even after winning the $200,000- so theres never a "100% all wrinkles are smoothed out MostBlunted shines in eternal happiness" - FairyTale ending, but their ultimate result was a blossoming win with the overall past and future community.

Last edited:
Honestly dont understand this point -what do you mean it requires a level of trust? By who -TW? The mods are going to be made regardless, TW realizes on some level that they have damaged some relations with their base PC community but have already made a financial killing with preSales not even including the newest release with Consoles.

So $500,000 is not alot of money relative to their profit and again not only is it positive PR stunt for them and a bridge to us and outside aspiring coders, it will also sell more copies of their game reclaiming some of their investment. having witnessed the entire event unfold for Bohemia and knowing a few of the Winners personally -some were still B*tching even after winning the $200,000- so theres never a "100% all wrinkles are smoothed out MostBlunted shines in eternal happiness" - FairyTale ending, but their ultimate result was a blossoming win with the overall past and future community.
I am highly suspicious of the guys who openly criticized it, as to where their motivations in their forums interactions come from I mean, they'll often lash out against positive ideas where others "win" or if they perceive it as a "win / lose" scenario (which's very delusional in some cases), I've said time and time again during endless unbearable attempts from them to flame me that all I see while looking at the underlying implications towards their discourses are strong signs of combined insecurity and egoism. Generally translates into ppl with envious traits that cannot accept any scenario that they aren't directly benefited or that they understand as themselves being benefited. As such they tend to shun anything that even hints at someone else "winning".
Thing is that we all benefit from such a move because it strengthens the overall enjoyment of the game for the players - Would I try to participate in such a contest? Absolutely, gives motivation to even try to mod which's something I lack, but than again I'd probably not win, which also doesn't bother me at all, and I'd be genuinely happy for whomever did get the prize, and even if I wasn't on a empathetic level, I'd be happy to be able to enjoy their work that "fixes" the lacking nature of the base game itself... That's why I believe you got confused, because it's a scenario where everybody wins, and for these guys it seems that if they don't "win" the spotlight, they are "losing" as such they try to shut down even the hint of the idea... It's not like it's going to happen, and I don't believe TW would ever do it if I'm to be blunt about what I think... You're absolutely spot on by bringing it up and how you brought it up, though, so no worries.

It would require a level of trust to TW for the modders to pay them for their efforts, and to be fair about it. If the treatment to the community has not revealed TW's typical behavior is not enough, just look at how poorly they do with the tools. It's just not something I see anyone willing to put hundreds, if not years, of work into a mod and maybe get a fair shake.

And yes, sort of the point here. TW damaged the community, but they made a profit. Why should anyone with a brain trust them?

what do you mean it requires a level of trust?
To add to Jon and James, consider the following. Let's image that TW is a corrupt, disgusting scumbag of a company. It holds this modding award and entice people to make mods, in turn promoting the game by giving both Bannerlord and modders publicity. But TW doesn't really want to pay big money for this free marketing and third-party content, so it tries to contact, or even conjure up, modders they can make backend deals with. This will be a good publicity and ego stroke for the modders. This also guarantees them to win, so getting a lower monetary reward is not that bad of a deal. If TW wants to be even scummier, they could also make a fine-print clause saying that TW will claim ownership over the assets and whatever.

Of course, I don't think TW is evil. I think this whole Bannerlord brouhaha is purely a case of them biting more than they could chew. But Taleworlds being evil is not impossible either. I mean, ultimately, Taleworld's real intention and attitude don't really matter here. There's already animosity between Taleworlds and the community. Taleworlds might actually hold the contest fairly, but people would be dissatisfied nonetheless. Many might claim there's cheating, or that Taleworlds are stupid for nominating this mod instead of that mod. Hell. You even said that there are modders who still *****ed after winning $200,000. These are the winners, who actually got the money. Imagine what random fans would do.

So that is (probably) why they said it requires a level of trust, and why I doubt something like this wouldn't cause a massive ****storm.

This is getting ridiculous. Yes true if we are starting from the absolute truth that Taleworlds is an Evil company.....I give up. Im one of the biggest doggers on TW but this is just too much to even have a starting point of base truths to have a discussion. Have to say BI forums is a rough place but theres more camaraderie amongst the forum despite our wars with the Devs and Owner over the years -different vibe here.

Shrug. I'm one of the few people here who's pro-TW and actually like Bannerlord. I'm actually surprised you guys weren't aware of these possibilities despite all your rants that TW is greedy, stupid and all that.

I don't actually think inter-modder drama is the real problem. Long-term modders are generally all the same kind of lunatic and tend to get on well. The problem is that it won't actually do TW any good at this stage, regardless of how much money they spend.

Getting a lavish gift from someone you aren't good friends with is just awkward. The modding community tolerates taleworlds for the most part but is kind of fed up with it. The awful codebase has caused untold misery, and in warband the support for modding post-release was one step forward, two steps back in a lot of ways. What's more, all four of the warband dlcs had much bigger ****storms around them [they were essentially paid mods]. People don't bring them up now, but the lack of trust with taleworlds is still there.

The first step would be for taleworlds to officially acknowledge at least some of their faults with modding [which they already did after the internal keyword debacle], but things still aren't where they should be. The step after that would be a much shorter communication loop between Taleworlds and Modders, which would require a unified company vision that hasn't been shown yet. Only once that has been established would it even make sense to have cash prizes for Modders.

They do hold modding competitions in the modding discord which is a step in the right direction, but the work has to be created for the competition and becomes OSP afterwards, so its not an incentive to established modders, just talented people.

This is getting ridiculous. Yes true if we are starting from the absolute truth that Taleworlds is an Evil company.....I give up. Im one of the biggest doggers on TW but this is just too much to even have a starting point of base truths to have a discussion. Have to say BI forums is a rough place but theres more camaraderie amongst the forum despite our wars with the Devs and Owner over the years -different vibe here.

I would not use the word 'evil', it is much too strong of a word. Incompetent? Selfish? Greedy? Those match a lot more.

So many people shouldn't feel this burned by Taleworlds by their 2nd release. They have done irreparable harm to their image. They may be selling their game and doing so quite well, but at what cost? I'm sure others here had other things in mind about the trust thing and I don't necessarily disagree with their views either, I just know—come down to it—I don't think any modders are going to trust them in any regard for something like a huge contest over massive work made, ultimately, for free. Not when there's still not very good communication and cooperation between TW and the modding community. I mean, after all, they can't even be trusted to tell us the truth or deliver the product they promised.

That's just my two cents, of course. If I were a modder, I know I wouldn't trust them with it.

The original M&B morale system was a mod that was integrated into the game. I think were a few other features as well.
ah, of course if we are talking about minor features, yes, but in the case of the supposed "big pot prize winner", being an overhaul, it shouldn't be integrated for obvious reasons - I wasn't thinking about minor mods, sorry for that
IMHO...If TW decide to pay mods it's because we'll receive DLCs...

...like was with NW and VC...

...and in some cases they refuse to do it, like with the "Pirate & Fish mod" project, when @Yoshiboy ask for a collaboration...
well, as i've said:
It's not like it's going to happen, and I don't believe TW would ever do it if I'm to be blunt about what I think...

Just offer Bloc major stock in the company, or even better offer him a position as head of design post launch. Problem solved.

Doubt that TW would want him around in a position of power after publicly humiliating them and doubt he'd want to officially work for them either but rewarding his gameplay mechanics via a large financial prize might keep alot of people happy. One of the leaders of the RHS Large mod that won the $200,000 prize name is Pufu -a guy so filled with such obstinate defiance syndrome he could give alot of this forums Negative Nancies a run for their money - is a fixture on just about everything Bohemia -but he;s not nor probably ever will be an official employee for the above reasons.

These dudes won't pay a decent south American server and you expect them to put a cent on an otherwise free worker's pocket, won't ever happen.

Just offer Bloc major stock in the company, or even better offer him a position as head of design post launch. Problem solved.

TW would rather eat nails than hire a modder in any capacity, I think. It's not going to happen, even though a few modders on the team providing insight that hopefully wouldn't be disregarded, would lift a lot of spirits I think.

Back
Top Bottom