TaleWorlds Should Consider Paying Modders

Users who are viewing this thread

froggyluv

Grandmaster Knight
Seriously as a nod of good faith restored to the PC community. Arma 3 when first released (also in a shabby state) realized the value of their Modding community and created a contest called Make Arma not War -thereby offered up to a half million dollars in cash for:

Best Overhaul Mod: Winner (was RHS mod) received $200,000
Best Single Player Missions 3 prizes totaling $50,000
Best MultiPlayer Missions 3 Prizes totaling $50,000
Best Addons totaling $100,000
Best Health Care Mod -they somehow tied this series into real world peacekeeping efforts

Link: http://makearmanotwar.com/winners

So why not you Taleworlds? Your in a similar boat as Bohemia, a once niche revolutionary type game category that had a deep committment to its base which returned with huge favors like Prophecy of Pendor and so many other mods which helped sell your game. Arma 2 was dead in the water at one point until an unknown community member named Rocket created DaYZ mod. That one little mod created a firestorm of millions upon millions of Arma 2 late sales out of nowhere. The owners were shocked ...and grateful. They realized the power of their community and rewarded them.

Your original PC base community here on the other hand? Feel like that 7 years long suggestion list was just outright ignored, rolled up into a joint and smoked away with careless disregard. I dont think ive ever seen that lackluster a response to a really really spirited and well meaning suggestion thread in my life -it bordered on outright contempt.

So why not change that ill will now? Maybe you dont believe that its true or you just flat out dont care. I think its safe to say not only is the community now relying on mods -but so are you for long term interest in your product. But maybe think about returning some tokens of good faith and goodwill.

Imagine "best mod" winning but is based on someone else's IP (GoT, LoTR, Star Wars, etc.)...

I can think of faster ways to get sued, but they mostly involve defrauding contract lawyers.

Imagine "best mod" winning but is based on someone else's IP (GoT, LoTR, Star Wars, etc.)...

I can think of faster ways to get sued, but they mostly involve defrauding contract lawyers.

Well they generally didnt either in Arma and yes they had a pretty big Star Wars one which disbanded over threats from Disney. Crazy stupid imo but yeah it happens. Theres plenty of original stuff and the prize would foster more commitment and outside talent though im pretty sure Bloc would be a lock for at least one of them

I don't know man. I can sense that giving monetary reward and fame will result in drama. Modders already have channels like patreon to get funding and the community already appreciates and praises them, so I'm not sure if this idea will result in more good or bad. Imagine what kind of nomination Taleworlds will give, with the degree of skills and in-touch-ness with this community that it has.

Offering prizes to modders requires a level of trust between developer and modder which just isn't there in mount and blade. Arma 3 has been promoting mods on the main menu for years. Giving cash to modders [without just turning them into subordinate DLC developers] is like the final step in the user-dev relationship, long after officially promoting their work [something taleworlds hasn't focused on]

Offering prizes to modders requires a level of trust between developer and modder which just isn't there in mount and blade. Arma 3 has been promoting mods on the main menu for years. Giving cash to modders [without just turning them into subordinate DLC developers] is like the final step in the user-dev relationship, long after officially promoting their work [something taleworlds hasn't focused on]

Right but thats Arma 3 - like i said they had this "awakening" during Arma 2 with Dayz. And trust me, there was tons of mistrust and outright hatred between many modders and the Devs -it was a long and rocky road for alot of years. The reasons they are similar is that both games have kind of turned into a platform as well a game -that can be good in that they (Bohemia) are looking out for modders in terms of constantly creating new script command and functions, as well as bad - they no longer really create or enhance AI -leaving it to modders, as well as once publicly stating they would no longer support or create new missions or Campaigns for SinglePlayer - guess who led the crusade against that ill advised statement :wink: they took that one back.

Now although i was on afew mod teams for Mount and Blade 1 back in the day, I honestly dont remember how much taleworlds acknowledged and supported them. the point is it is never too late to move in this direction - there were a ton of disgrunteled Mod/Mission makers who better deserved that money prize than the ones that won -but overall, it defintely improved relations with the community and absolutely brought in new and impressive coders and modders. What you see now with Arm3 and its promoting mods is not how its always been - they created it.

I don't know man. I can sense that giving monetary reward and fame will result in drama. Modders already have channels like patreon to get funding and the community already appreciates and praises them, so I'm not sure if this idea will result in more good or bad. Imagine what kind of nomination Taleworlds will give, with the degree of skills and in-touch-ness with this community that it has.
Everything that involves judges money and subjectivity will have drama. That dont mean it aint worthwhile. Ive written hundreds of thousands of lines of code for mods, maynbe millions, and ive never made a cent nor complained -but i defintely felt goodwill when Bohemia chose that route and it stays to this very day.

Seriously as a nod of good faith restored to the PC community. Arma 3 when first released (also in a shabby state) realized the value of their Modding community and created a contest called Make Arma not War -thereby offered up to a half million dollars in cash for:

Best Overhaul Mod: Winner (was RHS mod) received $200,000
Best Single Player Missions 3 prizes totaling $50,000
Best MultiPlayer Missions 3 Prizes totaling $50,000
Best Addons totaling $100,000
Best Health Care Mod -they somehow tied this series into real world peacekeeping efforts

Link: http://makearmanotwar.com/winners

So why not you Taleworlds? Your in a similar boat as Bohemia, a once niche revolutionary type game category that had a deep committment to its base which returned with huge favors like Prophecy of Pendor and so many other mods which helped sell your game. Arma 2 was dead in the water at one point until an unknown community member named Rocket created DaYZ mod. That one little mod created a firestorm of millions upon millions of Arma 2 late sales out of nowhere. The owners were shocked ...and grateful. They realized the power of their community and rewarded them.

Your original PC base community here on the other hand? Feel like that 7 years long suggestion list was just outright ignored, rolled up into a joint and smoked away with careless disregard. I dont think ive ever seen that lackluster a response to a really really spirited and well meaning suggestion thread in my life -it bordered on outright contempt.

So why not change that ill will now? Maybe you dont believe that its true or you just flat out dont care. I think its safe to say not only is the community now relying on mods -but so are you for long term interest in your product. But maybe think about returning some tokens of good faith and goodwill.
Although I endorse the idea in general, trying to compare PoP with DayZ's too much of a stretch, and the actual first mod phenomenon was Counter-Strike with Half-Life.
Absolutely no mod has actually brought them such levels of sales - maybe it could happen with BL...

Now, I'm all up for such a contest, not as in participating but because I get excited at the prospect of modders going full-rage and fixing the game, that'd be delicious...
Although that would tempt me to try and participate for real, as is I'm not even sure I want to make the mod I thought about anymore because I found out that TW has destroyed their tools' support since 1.8 - and I'm not yet decided if I'll wait around or just "retire" TW games indefinitely... I'm more leaning towards just moving on tbh, because I have no idea of when nor do I have the will to follow news updates on the game to learn when they fix the modding tools, and if it takes too long for certain mods to catch up I'm not even willing to keep the game installed.
I know that there are some workarounds for the modding tools but I'm not really sure I want to force myself to jump hoops with community patches to make them work(barely) as they should.

that's just nagging - the IP owned mods for WB were far from being the actual #1 best, and although some were in the top 10 easily, others were very obscure and even more niche than the game itself... That because objectively they were just simulating a pre-established setting with a compilation of OST mods that were never created by those modders. That alone would place PoP into the #1 spot for WB...
Now, we did have some pretty amazing mods built with a mix of OST and in-house work that made the list, and were significantly more popular for the longest run - whereas IP mods were only prominent during their respective TV shows / movies were in hype...

I'm still struggling to understand your attitude. You seem like a very unpleasant person to be around, and not even because you are being objectively blunt, but rather the constant nagging...

Well they generally didnt either in Arma and yes they had a pretty big Star Wars one which disbanded over threats from Disney. Crazy stupid imo but yeah it happens. Theres plenty of original stuff and the prize would foster more commitment and outside talent though im pretty sure Bloc would be a lock for at least one of them

You didn't actually need to reply to that nag, but yes, contests like those have EULA and obviously in these they'd disqualify IP owned mods...
You should've instead replied with this meme:

absolutely zero logical reason for not having such a contest, it's not like players would have to pay to play the mod itself - it's a much more healthy way than patreon locked mods, in fact it's arguably a way to prevent paywalled mods - but I have to agree with the last part at which it's hard to trust TW's judgement, so there's that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

as I've replied to froggy:
Although I endorse the idea in general, trying to compare PoP with DayZ's too much of a stretch, and the actual first mod phenomenon was Counter-Strike with Half-Life.
Absolutely no mod has actually brought them such levels of sales - maybe it could happen with BL...
That's the explanation as to why TW has never done such a thing / focused on such a thing. Did mods bring players? yes, but they were much more critical at player retention than they were at bringing in fresh blood - meaning TW didn't profit much from it and as such, from a business pov, it wouldn't be natural for them to suddenly start providing such extents like Bohemia did with Arma. Remember also that Bohemia was a much better established company when that happened - niche or not, they were significantly bigger than TW ever was.

Now I'll show myself out of this thread with the following:
4752b206e5dc2c3713d57f536d527d06.jpg

Last edited:
Dont put Bohemia and Failworlds on the same boat.Bohemia loves their products and respects their faithfull customers.Dont expect anything close to that from FW.

Everything that involves judges money and subjectivity will have drama. That dont mean it aint worthwhile. Ive written hundreds of thousands of lines of code for mods, maynbe millions, and ive never made a cent nor complained -but i defintely felt goodwill when Bohemia chose that route and it stays to this very day.
I didn't say it's not worth doing. I was saying that I'm not sure if more good or bad will come out of it. Of course it's good that you have such mature attitude, but not everyone is like that, and by everyone I mean both the modders and the fans. Everyone here knows that there's a strong hatred in the community towards Taleworlds, so yeah. My ****storm sense is tingling.

I support the idea of rewards for mods. They were already doing that with MP scene competitions and gave away computer equipment and such as rewards.
Stimulating overhaul mods would require greater effort, time and rewards, but it is worth doing. It would also give modders a rationalization for spending many hours doing something for free and won't look as a gigantic waste of time when they start asking themselves existential questions.

They rushed this game out and put it on consoles because they wanted money. Why would they pay modders? Joking aside, it would be nice, but it requires a level of trust I don't think many have in the modding scene for TaleWorlds.
Dont put Bohemia and Failworlds on the same boat.Bohemia loves their products and respects their faithfull customers.Dont expect anything close to that from FW.

Arma Reforger still doesn't work online 3+ months after EA launch and because of that is struggling 100 people every day. I wouldn't say they care either, just that they don't hate their players as much. 😅

Yeah, I think Taleworlds should at least organize contests and such for rewarding modders in some way (perhaps giving monetary rewards may potentially cause legal issues?). They have already kinda done this by organizing events and rewarding people with various items and merchandise for creating the best village scenes (which is technically modding), taking the best screenshots and designing the best 2d art, and gave rewards like gaming pcs to 1st place iirc.

Them organizing a contest of sorts with better rewards for best mods (that are not tied to IPs) and advertising the winning mods on the launcher is a good idea for nurturing the modding community, and one I hope TW actually will do. I don't get why people are saying that there's no mutual trust between modders and the devs, I'm genuinely asking. TW has hired some former modders like Duh as devs, they also released Viking Conquest by working together with the modding team of Brytenwalda.

"Hey TaleWorlds, we think you are not doing anything good and only modders can save this."
"Hey TaleWorlds, why don't you pay modders and prove what we kept saying?"

I have a feeling you knew the answer was definite no so I wonder what was the purpose behind this post.

"Hey TaleWorlds, we think you are not doing anything good and only modders can save this."
"Hey TaleWorlds, why don't you pay modders and prove what we kept saying?"

I have a feeling you knew the answer was definite no so I wonder what was the purpose behind this post.
I think it was a genuine suggestion in hopes to salvage the game - most of us don't care about being right, we care about having a good time...

Mod teams' With Fire And Sword and Viking Conquest were good ( if not as great as they could have been ....... sound familiar ? ) refreshing upgrades to the TW Warband line.

I imagine TW would likewise buy into similar high quality BL overhaul mods - a setting maybe Japanese, Wars of the Roses, Alexander the Great's Successors' Wars ................. as " DLC " ( or a whole new title ? ) - why not ?
( there could be some money in it for them ie a massive number of new sales ................ what indeed do TW do with all this money flooding in ?)

I think History would be a better bet for this over IP - red tape fantasies like Star Wars, Narnia, Tolkein, etc

Last edited:
Why not.

They could advertise the game with features from the mods

Paying greasy incels big modders? Not even once.

Also a great way for the GOT, Warhammer, LOTR, and similar mods to catch big fat C&Ds and have to destroy all of their assets.

Back
Top Bottom