TaleWorlds Should Consider Paying Modders

Users who are viewing this thread

I think his wording was poor, and I know you can't answer this, yet I'll shoot it anyway:
Do you think they'd be willing to pay you 200k USD for making the best mod? Or would they rather try to hire you for some fixed Turkish wages and treat your mod as portifolio?

Yes, my wording was very poor, but I think my message was understood behind that, even if I worded myself like an idiot. lol

They should pay Block to assemble a small team of 3-4 other modders and let them do a "reforged" edition of Bannerlord.
Surely with the millions TW has earned paying 4-5 people for a few years should be okay

They should pay Block to assemble a small team of 3-4 other modders and let them do a "reforged" edition of Bannerlord.
Surely with the millions TW has earned paying 4-5 people for a few years should be okay
Even better idea. Bloc should assemble a few other modders and create a game like mount and blade. They would be swimming in money in no time...

Why they don't do that?

In that case, they could have considered hiring more workers and creating a game that doesn't need mods to be playable. But it's cheaper this way.

Imagine "best mod" winning but is based on someone else's IP (GoT, LoTR, Star Wars, etc.)...

I can think of faster ways to get sued, but they mostly involve defrauding contract lawyers.

Maybe something that excludes other IP - think something like RBM, improved Garrisons, etc.

I don't think it would necessarily be a problem to award mods that were based on other IPs. The problem would probably be if TW intended to implement it in as paid DLC. I could be wrong on that though...

Maybe something that excludes other IP - think something like RBM, improved Garrisons, etc.
Exactly. They could focus on lots of smaller prizes for really popular addons like $200,000 for 10 winners. The thing is these contests are also large publicity events -you bring in all the major PC gaming sites and that in a sense also keeps things honest as its just not worth it for TW to completely betray the trust of the popular vote like an RBM. Im pretty sure that author and guys like Block would appreciate some $20-30,000 prizes for their work. If its these very popular mods (granted Bloc hasnt released anything all hypothetical) - lotta old school modder fan would also applaud the move as it shows a very real appreciation back from TW to that community.

Its a WIn/Win in my book.

I don't think it would necessarily be a problem to award mods that were based on other IPs. The problem would probably be if TW intended to implement it in as paid DLC. I could be wrong on that though...

Doesnt have to be either/or. Following Bohemias blueprint they did both very successfully -with Mod team made DLC being the majority of their sold content the last 5 years at least. Overall I would say the DLC guys had way less fun as their standard of work expectation is very high from Bohemia although obviously im generalizing and cant speak for them all as I only know some of them.

there are plenty of copyright rules that you don't fully understand... They simply can't even have these in their forums as "officially supported" - that's why all IP mods never got their own subforums... Fact is that it's both fair and game to include fine prints in contests like these to prevent legal issues, not only that, being given the credit for copying an IP as a mod screams unethical if there's money involved, mods worthy of such a prize back in WB would be the OG ones like Brytenwalda, 1257ad, Stag, (that one which expanded on native lore adding the ruins of uxkhal and stuff - forgot the name), Prophecy of Pendor (which would likely require changing the name of the Noldor to something else), Perisno, etc...
Not only that, the biggest most famous running IP mod for WB was actually created by a massive AH who doesn't deserve politeness, not even a "good morning" from anyone. The other one under the same IP had a much more decent author but it came late as such it wasn't as popular, but I believe if you try it RN it must be very nice.

There's plenty of reasoning for this, such as they have really proven to have creative talent and didn't lean upon other ppl's work, nobody, absolutely nobody, would be deserving from a monetary prize pool by doing "half-work" when others have put a lot of sweat and tears into making something original.

Doesnt have to be either/or. Following Bohemias blueprint they did both very successfully -with Mod team made DLC being the majority of their sold content the last 5 years at least. Overall I would say the DLC guys had way less fun as their standard of work expectation is very high from Bohemia although obviously im generalizing and cant speak for them all as I only know some of them.

What do you mean? As far as I'm aware, Bohemia has not paid for or released paid DLC that is based on another franchise entirely.

there are plenty of copyright rules that you don't fully understand... They simply can't even have these in their forums as "officially supported" - that's why all IP mods never got their own subforums... Fact is that it's both fair and game to include fine prints in contests like these to prevent legal issues, not only that, being given the credit for copying an IP as a mod screams unethical if there's money involved, mods worthy of such a prize back in WB would be the OG ones like Brytenwalda, 1257ad, Stag, (that one which expanded on native lore adding the ruins of uxkhal and stuff - forgot the name), Prophecy of Pendor (which would likely require changing the name of the Noldor to something else), Perisno, etc...
Not only that, the biggest most famous running IP mod for WB was actually created by a massive AH who doesn't deserve politeness, not even a "good morning" from anyone. The other one under the same IP had a much more decent author but it came late as such it wasn't as popular, but I believe if you try it RN it must be very nice.

There's plenty of reasoning for this, such as they have really proven to have creative talent and didn't lean upon other ppl's work, nobody, absolutely nobody, would be deserving from a monetary prize pool by doing "half-work" when others have put a lot of sweat and tears into making something original.

What if they don't implement or "buy" them though? Just award someone for their mod work, not necessarily pay FOR the work, if that makes sense?. Would that be okay? Because otherwise, there's tons of patreon modders being paid for mods working on other franchises, such as Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones etc and in all these years, have had no legal trouble. That's what I'm wondering, is if Taleworlds could technically get around the copyright issues if they don't adopt/buy/publish it, they just award them for the creative work. It'd sort of be like holding an art context and then giving a grand prize to the winner who drew fanart of Lord of the Rings, wouldn't it?

What do you mean? As far as I'm aware, Bohemia has not paid for or released paid DLC that is based on another franchise entirely.
Not sure what you mean lol -what I was saying is that Bohemia did both a huge Modders contest -totally NOT DLC just as a gift to fans and modders as well as made it a company profit/development law to only release DLC created by contracted Mod teams. They did both.

What if they don't implement or "buy" them though? Just award someone for their mod work, not necessarily pay FOR the work, if that makes sense?. Would that be okay? Because otherwise, there's tons of patreon modders being paid for mods working on other franchises, such as Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones etc and in all these years, have had no legal trouble. That's what I'm wondering, is if Taleworlds could technically get around the copyright issues if they don't adopt/buy/publish it, they just award them for the creative work. It'd sort of be like holding an art context and then giving a grand prize to the winner who drew fanart of Lord of the Rings, wouldn't it?
the whole patreon thing can only be done as a private endeavor as long as the modder doesn't lock it behind any sort of paywall (it must be donation - if they paywall the mod it's considered selling unauthorized IP) - for it to be legal the mod must be provided for free, otherwise it can be considered stolen IP - What has been happening, though, is that most companies do not want to waste resources / time pursuing lawsuits against modders who do it, yet if they want the modder who did paywalls will lose 100% of the time, and if they don't settle for an agreement they'll become homeless, not kidding. Every now and than they go after some of those greedy modders and they generally enter a settlement taking their mods down and more often than not they disappear right after (most of those guys were in on it just for the money, so when they get stopped they just vanish from the community).

There were plenty of those a couple years ago within the Skyrim community (mostly modders who were working with combat animations), I don't know if they were caught, but they were deliberately putting their mods behind paywalls and refusing to update or give support to their outdated versions within the nexus.

Do you think they'd be willing to pay you 200k USD for making the best mod?
I wouldn't care for it. I have always modded for myself. You lot just got lucky :razz:

Or would they rather try to hire you for some fixed Turkish wages and treat your mod as portifolio?
I'm happy that I got to join the company, meet and befriend various developers and contribute towards getting the game into players' hands. Don't think the company ever treated any modder's work as portfolio (unless you mean Warband DLCs?) - and I am not the only modder or community member that was hired over the years.

Regarding OP, I am personally not a fan of this kind of approach. In my opinion it can have a negative effect on community dynamics. If it is meant to cover large mods (overhauls etc.), it is also very subjective. One can turn it into a public popularity contest to make it more "fair", but that just drives the other point.

Regarding OP, I am personally not a fan of this kind of approach. In my opinion it can have a negative effect on community dynamics. If it is meant to cover large mods (overhauls etc.), it is also very subjective. One can turn it into a public popularity contest to make it more "fair", but that just drives the other point.
It would be pointless covering overhaul mods as these tend to evolve generationally, making it impossible to make any meaningful comparisons at different stages of development. Equally, most popular overhauls tend to be fan-based derivatives of films/books/games, which skirt copyright issues that TW would need to exclude for legal reasons.

IMO the current style modding competitions designed to boost OSP assets are the best approach. In my experience, modders are modding to either learn, build a CV portfolio or for personal entertainment. AFAIK commissioning work for money seems only to have crept in for 3D assets.

I’d rather see further third party full conversion DLCs such as WFaS, VC & B&GC. TW made their engine for more than just Bannerlord and they’re bound to have shown it off behind the scenes to other parties. Who knows what might already be in progress? I doubt @Duh_TaleWorlds is going to tell us.

Last edited:

What are you basing that off of? What other major series have done this similar as Bohemia and are you aware of its being a major success with its community despite the 'Popularity contest effect"?

Not sure what you mean lol -what I was saying is that Bohemia did both a huge Modders contest -totally NOT DLC just as a gift to fans and modders as well as made it a company profit/development law to only release DLC created by contracted Mod teams. They did both.

I see where the confusion is. I was discussing possibilities of Taleworlds being able to award, but not "buy", mods that work on other franchises. I misunderstood your reply to have been in that context. My bad!

the whole patreon thing can only be done as a private endeavor as long as the modder doesn't lock it behind any sort of paywall (it must be donation - if they paywall the mod it's considered selling unauthorized IP) - for it to be legal the mod must be provided for free, otherwise it can be considered stolen IP - What has been happening, though, is that most companies do not want to waste resources / time pursuing lawsuits against modders who do it, yet if they want the modder who did paywalls will lose 100% of the time, and if they don't settle for an agreement they'll become homeless, not kidding. Every now and than they go after some of those greedy modders and they generally enter a settlement taking their mods down and more often than not they disappear right after (most of those guys were in on it just for the money, so when they get stopped they just vanish from the community).

There were plenty of those a couple years ago within the Skyrim community (mostly modders who were working with combat animations), I don't know if they were caught, but they were deliberately putting their mods behind paywalls and refusing to update or give support to their outdated versions within the nexus.

Oh, I see. I've never really seen a company go after a fan game unless it was Pokemon, so I just imagined that so long as people weren't charging for it in general, there would be no actual problem. That's disappointing in the end, though understandable at that point with the paywalls.

Back
Top Bottom