TaleWorlds News: New News Necessary for the OT Neophytes

Users who are viewing this thread

We can't all be human.
Musk is an engineer used to selling cars and technology, doing trade and such.
The media business is very different. It could be someone from entertainment, film/TV, the news business, or simply other social media.

It could be someone from entertainment, film/TV, the news business, or simply other social media.
kanye-west-someday-well-all-be-free.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I don't even use Twitter, but part of me would love to see the site go down in a blazing fireball and for Elon Musk to lose every penny he put into it.

Twitter is full of really terrible people, but it's also become a vital service website for thousands of organisations. For example in the UK you'll consistently get a better response reporting crime on twitter (where everyone can see) than ringing up the council directly. I mentioned this earlier in this thread, it's not really a normal company, it's like an international utility for business, news and even politics.

What Elon is doing is the business equivalent of ramming, but so much is at stake outside the purview of a few washington DC latte-sipping journalists, that i don't think it would ever be allowed to fully fail.

But right now it's an easy way to get a response from organisations by essentially shaming them or threatening them with bad PR. If twitter goes then we're back to the 00s where you have to send an email that can be ignored, or wait on the phone for an hour and get no real response.

Getting rid of twitter is almost like getting rid of email (or more comparably, fax). Sure the companies involved could all just collectively get their act together, but removing another avenue of communication is beneficial to nobody, even if it also silences the most obnoxious people online in the process.

True, social media helps heap pressure on authorities dragging their feet since video sharing became possible. More users on more social media translates directly to increased government accountability and transparency.

But, back to Elon's adventures, his supporters came up with the ideas to invalidate his stupid poll, claiming that deep state bots voted yes and that only verified/paying accounts should have a vote. While only yesterday they claimed this was Elon's master plan to get out of the hot seat and that he already has a replacement CEO in mind. Be partisan, be stupid.

We can't all be human.
Musk is an engineer used to selling cars and technology, doing trade and such.
The media business is very different. It could be someone from entertainment, film/TV, the news business, or simply other social media.
I would like to point out just for everyone's information that Elon Musk is not actually an engineer. As in, his degree is in physics and economics. I believe that he has the title of chief engineer at some of his companies, but that would be like me buying a hospital and calling myself a chief nurse.

Okay. I think I just saw the word engineer in an article and 'figured'...
The point is the "business world" Musk has functioned in so far has very different M.O.s than the media business.
The PR for Tesla could basically be done by 1 person with a twitter account (I exaggerate).
But Twitter, Facebook etc. are bombarded with ethical conundrums, dilemmas and political tripwires when it comes to management, moderation etc.
Something that is not - which has become very clear in recent weeks - Musk's forte.

I like how Musk made a poll on whether or not to step down. Then lost, said it was rigged and changed how polls work...
Itxaf.gif

Last edited:
I would like to point out just for everyone's information that Elon Musk is not actually an engineer.
I agree that any engineering knowledge that Musk has is self-taught, but all evidence suggests that he is extremely intelligent, even though he can also be a jerk at times.
3PF_Q.jpg

Last edited:
Having never interacted with the man I have no way to evaluate that. It is especially difficult to evaluate when he is surrounded by individuals who obviously are extremely intelligent and whose work he can take credit for. It also depends on how you define intelligence and that's a whole conversation that is beside the point.

You can be an engineer and extremely stupid, and you can be very intelligent without being an engineer. Requirements to be an engineer vary depending on where you live, but they typically range from pass a state exam to have a bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline.

And yes in case you were wondering I am an engineer myself, and yes I am going to be extremely petty about this :smile:.

One thing that I will say is that his behavior and his constant lying/spreading conspiratorial nonsense during and after COVID completely shattered any esteem that I could have had of him. Given how erratic he has been I definitely am not very inclined to take any of his future, present or past claims at face value.

So, Tom says that Elon is not completely ignorant about building a rocket. Faint praise. :grin:
I'm an engineer who can make a convincing sociological analysis. That doesn't mean I'm a good sociologist or ANY kind of sociologist. It merely means I may have some working knowledge. Even buying a sociology department at a university and calling myself Chief Sociologist wouldn't change that.

Last edited:
One thing that I will say is that his behavior and his constant lying/spreading conspiratorial nonsense during and after COVID completely shattered any esteem that I could have had of him. Given how erratic he has been I definitely am not very inclined to take any of his future, present or past claims at face value.
I fully sympathise with this. He is a Jekyll and Hyde character. The monster might overshadow the man but can't eliminate him. It would be encouraging if only good people had any talent, but that's a fantasy.
Having never interacted with the man I have no way to evaluate that. It is especially difficult to evaluate when he is surrounded by individuals who obviously are extremely intelligent and whose work he can take credit for. It also depends on how you define intelligence and that's a whole conversation that is beside the point.
I haven't met him either and so am more interested in the opinions of those who have worked with him. BTW Tom Mueller no longer works for him, giving more credence to his oppinions.
And yes in case you were wondering I am an engineer myself, and yes I am going to be extremely petty about this :smile:.
:smile:
Even buying a sociology department at a university and calling myself Chief Sociologist wouldn't change that.
Neither does calling himself Chief Twit make him an idiot. You can test a rocket design to destruction and learn something from it. Trying the same approach on social media in the full glare of public attention may be similar to jumping off a cliff. Who knows how it will turn out? Certainly, interesting theatre.

Last edited:
Anyway, where were you the day JK Rowling started tweeting in 4chan lingo?
I find the alt-right/far-right talking heads embracing these kinds of transphobes pretty funny considering that they're pretty much the "man hating feminists" they used to bang on about all the time. Rowling might not actually hate men, but her whole opposition to trans-women is based on the idea that they are just men pretending to be women and men are scary and dangerous and women are special and need safe spaces or whatever.
Hopefully twitter dies soon and this kind of **** gets less attention. But I'm guessing it would just move to some new, equally trash social media site.

Back
Top Bottom