MP Remove the block delay you've added back

Users who are viewing this thread

+1

In Warband, I always knew it was my fault when I blocked too slowly or in the wrong direction (very rarely of course *coughs* :oops:), that changed and it's a problem. It doesn't matter whatsoever whether it's due to weapon weight or some other reason; blocking should be instant if you see the attack and push the right button. Attack speed can be slower with heavy weapons. It's sad that it would be a big improvement to just replace the current combat system with warband's which is something like 12 years old and did not nearly have this much dev-time. The game is great in many ways, but well-designed combat is the heart of the game and the main reason why it has so many loyal supporters. It should be first priority.

The blocking feels the same since they've introduced a slight change in the block system. This is just a "crowd syndrome", someone came up with "blocking is unresponsive again!" when it actually never became responsive in the first place.

The blocking feels the same since they've introduced a slight change in the block system. This is just a crowd syndrome, someone came up with "blocking is unresponsive again!" when it actually never became responsive in the first place.
It’s mostly that I never really got the chance to try blocking since I play archer on skirmish and I don’t bother crashing on tdm or siege. Shield blocking is way more responsive than regular blocking. I’ve done clutches with a shield but as soon as i lose the shield the first attack is already way too fast to block.

It’s mostly that I never really got the chance to try blocking since I play archer on skirmish and I don’t bother crashing on tdm or siege. Shield blocking is way more responsive than regular blocking. I’ve done clutches with a shield but as soon as i lose the shield the first attack is already way too fast to block.

Yep, once attacks start coming from 2 sources, you can only clutch if you aren't playing against experienced players, otherwise, you are pretty dead. Sometimes you don't even have enough time to bock an attack in 1v1, which is pretty underwhelming, that's why the blocking should have no delay - either weight or animations not affecting the blocking speed or affecting it to a much lesser extent than they are now.

Generally in agreement about block delay but please don't start slowing down feints before giving it some time. It could potentially be nice if everything expect 2h stabs isn't trivial to block.

Last edited:

In addition to what I wrote I wanna say that:

·Cancelling hits extremely late in the animation(specially with 2 handeds, but also with 1 handeds can be done) should be better when sound effect when feinting is introduced.

Rright now players abuse this a lot, rapid feints + this, force the defender to be super reactive towards any incoming attack, meaning that it becomes extremely hard to block(almost uncontrollable consistently) with these last second feint change directions, or cancelling a hit when almost making collsiion just to send one in the same direction in the very last second, I'm pretty sure Taleworlds doesn't intend this with the way the mechanics on melee were designed to aim for more realism and avoid Warband's 2h feinting duel style.

·Regarding reducing feint speed, I still believe this should be done even if its really slightly, they're extremely quick and I have no doubt players will realise that it's not only about the block delay/anim blending when blocking, but also the feint speed forcing the defender to react way quicker to defend against a feint compared to a quick chamber as an example.

Either you spam feints and get a free hit, because the enemy cant block that fast or you bet that the enemy will feint and spam.

That's exactly how the combat works right now in Bannerlord by abusing the quick feints and glitched animations or just spam because you know that your opponent will feint.

Feints speed and block delay should be slightly reduced. Another major thing that needs rework and that impact the combat in general are the movements, they still feel too ice skating and therefore hard to predict the distance between you and your opponent, it's the same for your weapons you can't really know if you have the necessary distance to outrange your opponent. Because of these ice skating movements, 2 handers abuse it by juming away or spinning around to outrange you because it makes you move so fast and there is no way for you as one handed to reach him unless you stay close to him non stop. Like charlini said, damage inconsistencies or armor absorbtion needs a rework too, especially the tanky classes, when you play as a voulgier vs voulgier the damages are satisfying, you can kill your opponent in maximum 3 hits, it can go up to 4 hits but that is quite rare.

In my opinion these 4 things need a rework in order to make the combat great and satisfying.

1. Feints speed should be slightly reduced.
2. Block delay should reduced, blocking should be instant you click block then you character block.
3. Movements in general should be less floaty.
4. Damage inconsistencies or Armor absorbtion for tanky classes needs a rework too.

Why not just standardise blocking speed to Warband? Whether or not they reduced blocking speed, it's still been absolute garbage to play with from the start of beta compared to WB. Blocking is unresponsive no matter what, it just gets less or more from Beta to EA. It hasn't actually ever been responsive.

That's exactly how the combat works right now in Bannerlord by abusing the quick feints and glitched animations or just spam because you know that your opponent will feint.

Feints speed and block delay should be slightly reduced. Another major thing that needs rework and that impact the combat in general are the movements, they still feel too ice skating and therefore hard to predict the distance between you and your opponent, it's the same for your weapons you can't really know if you have the necessary distance to outrange your opponent. Because of these ice skating movements, 2 handers abuse it by juming away or spinning around to outrange you because it makes you move so fast and there is no way for you as one handed to reach him unless you stay close to him non stop. Like charlini said, damage inconsistencies or armor absorbtion needs a rework too, especially the tanky classes, when you play as a voulgier vs voulgier the damages are satisfying, you can kill your opponent in maximum 3 hits, it can go up to 4 hits but that is quite rare.

In my opinion these 4 things need a rework in order to make the combat great and satisfying.

1. Feints speed should be slightly reduced.
2. Block delay should reduced, blocking should be instant you click block then you character block.
3. Movements in general should be less floaty.
4. Damage inconsistencies or Armor absorbtion for tanky classes needs a rework too.
+1 probably the main problems of the game in general, movement is hard to nail, the others should be improved easily.

Why did you bring this back in the first place? It's a aboslute no brainer. You guys have a good 10 year experience in developing this sort of game, combat and game mechanics. How do you yet still to manage to create such tremendous mistakes?

I feel like I never see taleworlds peeps on forum posts like this, please please look. Feints are incredible, so much better then warband at the moment, it’s everything a redditor things warband is

Look guys, I have the impression this was not intentional. Sometimes, in game development, especially in a game like this with soooo many systems, a certain change in one of these systems can steamroll on other systems linked to that (in a good way or a bad way). One good example is the rocket jump from quake, which exists only because of a misshap in a system (truly, that was a welcomed thing, but the example stands). I am pretty sure the devs noticed this and they are assessing the situation. I believe they need confidence now and I don't see a lot of it in these posts.

Look guys, I have the impression this was not intentional. Sometimes, in game development, especially in a game like this with soooo many systems, a certain change in one of these systems can steamroll on other systems linked to that (in a good way or a bad way). One good example is the rocket jump from quake, which exists only because of a misshap in a system (truly, that was a welcomed thing, but the example stands). I am pretty sure the devs noticed this and they are assessing the situation. I believe they need confidence now and I don't see a lot of it in these posts.

A simple response would do wonders in this case, or in general.

Back
Top Bottom