MP Remove the block delay you've added back

Users who are viewing this thread

So for those who have not yet noticed, the distance-based block delay is back in the game. What this means is that, aside from the base delay of the weapon you are using, there is an additonal delay to the distance your weapon needs to travel. If you're readying an attack from the right, and you need to block an incoming attack to the left, there is a good chance your block will simply not be up in time. Add to this that the incoming attack might be accelerated by a stance boost, along with the fact that a lot of the 1H weapons have an insane base speed already. What you get are unblockable attacks.

But I'm not done yet. If you are wielding a 2H and you take a hit from a 1H, the position of your weapon will usually be on either side, and if someone chains in the other side you are screwed. You will be stunned by the hit, while you need to somehow use that 0.5 second window to make your weapon travel to the other side to block (don't forget ping, btw). I actually believe you can outchain people under certain circumstances without them being able to fight back, although this I couldn't confirm fully yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure ? Cant really tell because blocking has always been a mess :smile:
Yes. It came back roughly one or two patches ago. I wasn't quite sure until today, where I played only two-handers to confirm it. I doubt they would touch the regular delay for no reason. I even heard a dev say nothing changed, but I cannot believe that.

I really don't want to believe you that infamous block system is back, but I have to admit, blocking has been awful for past few days. And if this is the case, I'd really like to know the reasoning why they are so keen to bring it back after the backlash it got in beta.

I really don't want to believe you that infamous block system is back, but I have to admit, blocking has been awful for past few days. And if this is the case, I'd really like to know the reasoning why they are so keen to bring it back after the backlash it got in beta.
think it got lowered again its way better now

If you're readying an attack from the right, and you need to block an incoming attack to the left, there is a good chance your block will simply not be up in time.
I know that you guys will probably hate this, but please just listen. Doesn't it actually make sense? Shouldn't you be punished for opening up a side of your body? Because that's exactly how it works in real life fencing.

I know you are used to Warband where you could block from any position and any strike, but I'll be honest with you I hate that part of the game with all my heart, because it led to frustrating blocking contests and the player that imitated autoblock better usually won.

I know that you guys will probably hate this, but please just listen. Doesn't it actually make sense? Shouldn't you be punished for opening up a side of your body? Because that's exactly how it works in real life fencing.

I know you are used to Warband where you could block from any position and any strike, but I'll be honest with you I hate that part of the game with all my heart, because it led to frustrating blocking contests and the player that imitated autoblock better usually won.
This is a game.. not real life, when you click block and it doesn't block, it is infuriating. Im having an easier time just attack block attack block instead of adding feints and whatnot, which is very boring and it shouldn't be like that.

the delay is there regardless of where your weapon is.............

I played a short time during lunch today and 2 handers felt unresponsive, not quite as bad the poor blocking system implemented at end of beta but worse than other times.

If this was to ever be the case and to work well - and I basically disagree that it should be, but just supposing - then the movement and attack timings would need to be tuned to a far greater degree of care. The interactions between attack speed, weapon speed, stances, readying vs release vs feints, and movement are all so loose and careless, that having a realistic blocking simulation just does not work in the current forms.

If they fix all that, then we can retry their new blocking system - and I can explain why it still doesn't work then. (ruins fights with multiple people basically).

Right now, the optimal way of playing as a two-handed weapon or polearm user against an opponent with a one-hander is to turn away and circle around while spamming left and right strikes in order to maximize their range advantage. No blocking needed, because two-handed or polearm users know they will lose if they have to rely on their blocking skill when going up against a one hander. Does this resemble real life fighting in any way or form?

I just played a while in duel server and died to swings that I blocked but it didn't register because of the block delay. It's unbelievable how tw thinks this is a good mechanic.

The duel server also exposes this trash combat system I highly recommend going there and having 1v1's just to see it. Just a mess of ice skating, instant acceleration, random swings, glitchy combo animations,random attack priority, random block stuns, useless kick, no chambers and just no nothing.

I just played a while in duel server and died to swings that I blocked but it didn't register because of the block delay. It's unbelievable how tw thinks this is a good mechanic.

The duel server also exposes this trash combat system I highly recommend going there and having 1v1's just to see it. Just a mess of ice skating, instant acceleration, random swings, glitchy combo animations,random attack priority, random block stuns, useless kick, no chambers and just no nothing.
Kinda like in alpha hmmmm nothing’s changed

most of that stuff is just number tweaking, if they put some more resources into mp. The block delay should be lowered further though, its hard to keep up with feints.

Back
Top Bottom