PLEASE READ. Damage Multiplier Mechanics doesn't affect vertical physics!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Wraith_Magus said:
I don't see why we would need to crack out the history books on this one, it's classic Newtonian physics.  Basic Newtonian physics have pretty well stood the test of time, quantum physics notwithstanding.

Classic Newtonian physics, but bloody horrible biomechanics. Also, the historical treatises on combat tend to be written by people who knew what they were on about when it came to surviving an earnest encounter with someone bent on ending your life, so you'll forgive me if I take them far more seriously than some tween who's overdosed on Prince of Persia.

Wraith_Magus said:
Speaking in terms of physics, if we are talking about a jump from level ground, you are talking about the force your legs can generate pushing you upwards until an equal amount of force from gravity stops you, and another equal amount has you descending with the same amount of force when you touch the ground - it's basically the same amount of force you'd get if you simply used all that leg power in an uppercut. 

No. There's other power generation mechanics you can use while your feet are still planted which are not available or far less useful to an airborne person. We haven't even gotten into the heavy duty stuff (because I can't put that **** into words from lack of applicable physics knowledge :razz: ).

Wraith_Magus said:
The only advantage in the jump attack over an uppercut is that you'd get the ability to swing your weapon in an overhead arc, as well, which, with weapons that use a lot of leverage, means that your weapon is also benefiting from gravity, instead of having to oppose it, the way it would in an underhanded arc. 

What advantage is that? You can still swing your weapon in an overhead arc very easily while keeping both feet on the ground.

Wraith_Magus said:
Hence, a weapon with a short or no haft, like a knife, would have no noticeable difference between jump attack and uppercut. 

Why would you ever want to throw out an attack with a knife while jumping? :neutral:

Wraith_Magus said:
A poleaxe, meanwhile, would probably have a fairly large difference.  If you take a look at the way that people chop wood with a long axe (which is wholly inappropriate for combat unless the enemy is already on the ground, and you are going for an "execution" style of attack)(in fact, the maneuver I am talking about is exactly the same one they historically used in executions by axe) then the motion they use is actually almost jumping, itself.  That said, actual jumping while swinging an axe also completely throws your balance to the wind, and would make your attack wildly inaccurate and make you incapable of handling the recoil when your axe actually hit something, which could easily knock you off your feet. 

Source? I've never seen a strike delivered in that manner. Please don't link an ARMA video. :lol:

I'd be less worried about the recoil and more worried about missing. Without anything to brace against, your structure is extremely weak, and if you miss you're going to cause some fairly significant disruption.

Wraith_Magus said:
As Rapier17 says, jumping around is stupid and leaves you vulnerable, but that doesn't mean that the "realistic" thing to do is ignore it entirely.  As I said before, the realistic thing to do is show players why it's so stupid, and let them lose all balance and get knocked to the floor and hurt themselves when they try something stupid.

As much as I'd love to see people getting stabbed in the **** after attempting jumping attacks, I must say that this is a horrible use of developer resources. If it's something that happens as a byproduct of a hyper-realistic engine, fine, but investing time and effort to implement dead end options and actions is quite silly. Stupidity is infinite, funding isn't.

I am detecting a rather troublesome tendency in this forum for people to assume they know everything about someone else and dismiss other's arguments as though they are just completely making things up before immediately launching into an argument where they are completely making their own argument up...

Anyway, while this guy doesn't use the full-body axe swing I was talking about, it does at least a decent job for the amount of time I can be bothered to go searching through YouTube filtering through videos about "axe swings" that refer to people throwing around guitars...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY-Gv9nMijs

Now then, if this guy were using the full body swing, he would be holding the axe with its head face-down completely on the opposite side of his body with a loose grip.  When starting the swing, his full body weight would be on the side away from his target, and he would bring the axe in a full overhead arc, letting the axe head swing around to face the target mid-swing, and sliding his primary hand down the grip during the swing in order to change the fulcrum of the "lever" that is the pole of the axe, and get more velocity on the axe's head as it came down. 

The shifting of weight and the changing of the fulcrum point are the keys to properly swinging that axe.  The entire reason why you use a long-hafted axe, rather than a knife, is that the swing of that pole is what gives it power, and the shifting of the center of gravity in the axe allows even more speed to be built up.

Why I say that the full-body axe swing is "like a jump" is because you perform the axe swing with all weight on a back foot, step forward, and throw all your body weight with your step when you bring that axe down, which, again, allows you to throw your body weight into the swing.  (As someone had previously said in this video, you also make a jump in a tennis serve, and the motion of the serve and a full-body axe swing both share this quality of full-body swing motion.) In the video, you can see a half-hearted version of this around the 0:20 mark.

The whole purpose of a long-hafted polearm is this ability to swing it, and that is why I talk about it being different from a knife.  I talk about it being different when you are doing an overhand and an underhand swing because the overhand swing gives you the force of gravity on your side when you swing a heavy hafted weapon, while a knife does not.  This is why (aside from hitting the ground), you don't try an "uppercut" style of swing with a polearm, which is what I was saying in that previous post.

Furthermore, while you go about trying to throw around "I'm more hardcore than you because I play more hardcore games" nonsense without even stopping to consider what games I might or might not play (I never played Prince of Persia, and don't even know what ARMA is...), I would point out the notable lack of quoting what I had said regarding firing a bow or throwing something from a higher position.  Why, exactly, would this be a terrible waste of developer resources?  It is at least as reasonable as any other "realism" mechanic people are so intent upon suggesting.  Simply generating a vertical velocity mechanic for ranged weapons makes sense, and if it could just be extrapolated onto melee weapons, then it would accomplish this whole suggestion's idea, anyway. It would just take the additional checking of physics on the body of attackers when they bounce off of the people they tried this maneuver on, and make them fall down and hurt themselves for it.

Wraith_Magus said:
Anyway, while this guy doesn't use the full-body axe swing I was talking about, it does at least a decent job for the amount of time I can be bothered to go searching through YouTube filtering through videos about "axe swings" that refer to people throwing around guitars...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY-Gv9nMijs

Now then, if this guy were using the full body swing, he would be holding the axe with its head face-down completely on the opposite side of his body with a loose grip.  When starting the swing, his full body weight would be on the side away from his target, and he would bring the axe in a full overhead arc, letting the axe head swing around to face the target mid-swing, and sliding his primary hand down the grip during the swing in order to change the fulcrum of the "lever" that is the pole of the axe, and get more velocity on the axe's head as it came down. 

The shifting of weight and the changing of the fulcrum point are the keys to properly swinging that axe.  The entire reason why you use a long-hafted axe, rather than a knife, is that the swing of that pole is what gives it power, and the shifting of the center of gravity in the axe allows even more speed to be built up.

As you've said, that's only really useful against completely incapacitated opponents.

The grip change is rarely seen in period manuals regarding the use of the pollaxe. It leaves you with minimal ability to manipulate the weapon against resistance when you bind against another weapon. re: shifting weight, addressed below.

Wraith_Magus said:
Why I say that the full-body axe swing is "like a jump" is because you perform the axe swing with all weight on a back foot, step forward, and throw all your body weight with your step when you bring that axe down, which, again, allows you to throw your body weight into the swing.  (As someone had previously said in this video, you also make a jump in a tennis serve, and the motion of the serve and a full-body axe swing both share this quality of full-body swing motion.) In the video, you can see a half-hearted version of this around the 0:20 mark.

In that case, drop steps and passing steps would also be "like a jump". Both of them exploit body mass and weight transference to generate power. I'm not seeing what you're trying to get at here. The schtick of the jump attack is done better by practically any other mechanic and with far less telegraphing and commitment.

Wraith_Magus said:
Furthermore, while you go about trying to throw around "I'm more hardcore than you because I play more hardcore games" nonsense without even stopping to consider what games I might or might not play

Didn't do so, and if you interpreted it as such I'd strongly recommend re-reading.

Wraith_Magus said:
Prince of Persia

Directed at the OP, whose responses and avatar indicate what I've asserted.

Wraith_Magus said:
and don't even know what ARMA

Association of Renaissance Martial Arts. Known for some rather...unique technical interpretations of period sources on armed combat.

Wraith_Magus said:
I would point out the notable lack of quoting what I had said regarding firing a bow or throwing something from a higher position. 

The portions of your post that I quoted were the ones that I took issue with and/or and could be bothered to address. The points you raised about ranged weapons are irrelevant because they're already present in-game.

wrc said:
Well,I didn't see you came up with something,only bull****ting around and giving some pointless comments!

Learn to read. I'm not coming up with anything because I'm opposing this nonsense.

Jump attacks are stupidly inefficient and should be left to stupid games. The only reason it should be included in a game that makes an attempt at a realistic combat simulation is to demonstrate the consequences of thinking you're an action RPG hero.

Night Ninja said:
wrc said:
Well,I didn't see you came up with something,only bull****ting around and giving some pointless comments!
Learn to read. I'm not coming up with anything because I'm opposing this nonsense.
Jump attacks are stupidly inefficient and should be left to stupid games. The only reason it should be included in a game that makes an attempt at a realistic combat simulation is to demonstrate the consequences of thinking you're an action RPG hero.
And the saga(bull****ting) continues!
You could say all that in your first reply to my post instead of disproving simple Newton's law,but I guess that's too complicated to understand for someone!And yes,M&B does lack in "combat moves",hopefully that'll be changed if they make new engine what we all wish for and I don't say that 'jump attack" should be implemented in that case!

Wraith_Magus said:
Night Ninja said:
M&B doesn't lack in 'combat moves'. :roll:

And considering the lack of evidence in the historical record of hitting other people with pointy metal objects while falling from great heights, we can safely dismiss this as stupid bull**** nicked off lawnmower simulators and hack and slash RPGs.

I don't see why we would need to crack out the history books on this one, it's classic Newtonian physics.  Basic Newtonian physics have pretty well stood the test of time, quantum physics notwithstanding.

Speaking in terms of physics, if we are talking about a jump from level ground, you are talking about the force your legs can generate pushing you upwards until an equal amount of force from gravity stops you, and another equal amount has you descending with the same amount of force when you touch the ground - it's basically the same amount of force you'd get if you simply used all that leg power in an uppercut.  The only advantage in the jump attack over an uppercut is that you'd get the ability to swing your weapon in an overhead arc, as well, which, with weapons that use a lot of leverage, means that your weapon is also benefiting from gravity, instead of having to oppose it, the way it would in an underhanded arc. 

Hence, a weapon with a short or no haft, like a knife, would have no noticeable difference between jump attack and uppercut. 

A poleaxe, meanwhile, would probably have a fairly large difference.  If you take a look at the way that people chop wood with a long axe (which is wholly inappropriate for combat unless the enemy is already on the ground, and you are going for an "execution" style of attack)(in fact, the maneuver I am talking about is exactly the same one they historically used in executions by axe) then the motion they use is actually almost jumping, itself.  That said, actual jumping while swinging an axe also completely throws your balance to the wind, and would make your attack wildly inaccurate and make you incapable of handling the recoil when your axe actually hit something, which could easily knock you off your feet. 

Jumping off a 3-story building and landing on someone will do more damage to the person you land on than jumping from right next to them and colliding with them, that's simple fact.  Again, it's suicidal to try, but it will do more damage to whatever you land on.

Also, I rather wonder why something like bows/crossbows/thrown weapons are not brought into this discussion - unlike bullets, slower-moving and heavier arrows/bolts/javelins/axes will lose a considerable amount of force over distance, and can gain a significant amount of force from gravity.  Firing from up on castle walls gives you 30 feet's worth of gravity's assistance in the power of your arrows.  Firing from the ground up to the castle walls means that a portion of your power is spent struggling against 30 feet's worth of gravity.

Unlike modern combat, where having the high ground is generally advantageous just for the fact that it's easier to take cover, high ground with pre-gunpowder ranged weapons should have significant advantages in the force transferred by your weapons.

As Rapier17 says, jumping around is stupid and leaves you vulnerable, but that doesn't mean that the "realistic" thing to do is ignore it entirely.  As I said before, the realistic thing to do is show players why it's so stupid, and let them lose all balance and get knocked to the floor and hurt themselves when they try something stupid.
This. It's incredibly stupid, but very rewarding and (physically) realistic.

...jumping and attacking is not rewarding AT ALL. Trust me, I've been there. I've tried it for a giggle with fencing sabre & foil, I've given it a shot with c16 rapier and even had a go at it with an axe against a friends shield at re-enactment. It does not work at all. You waste more energy getting your body weight, your armours weight and your weapons off the ground, you do not maintain contact with the ground and thus have little control over your balance and stability, have one direction of attack, find it damned difficult to block even with a shield and you expose massive amounts of your body to the opponent. They are not going to sit there watching you leap about like a Morris dancer, they will ram their weapon through your guts, hack your ankles/knees/legs or at your waist or - well wherever they pick. Because of their stability and balance they could probably grapple you out of the air, throw you on your back and run you through - by jumping you give the advantage to your opponent, which is foolish.

No sensible fighter takes both feet off the ground at any one time, unless the situation is so desperate that they're willing to jump into an opponent, to initiate a grapple, or backwards to desperately get away and hells to whatever is behind them that they might trip/tumble on.

The power is also terrible as you're not effectively using the pelvis and thus have no stability, on the battlefield you are not on perfectly flat ground so you will most likely land badly and turn/go over your ankle or even stick your foot down a hole! It's amazing how the terrain being just a little uneven can completely disrupt balance and stability and people want to go jumping around on it whilst swinging weapons and wearing maille armour? It really is a counter-productive movement.

Just a last thing on swordwork in general, my rapier maestro, a chap named Andrew Feast, brilliant swordsman, absolutely superb, hammered it into my head that the best way to not get hit is to not be in the swords path. So when you're two foot off the ground and an axe is coming up in an underswing to split your groin in two, how you are going to move out of the way?

wrc said:
You could say all that in your first reply to my post instead of disproving simple Newton's law

Evidently your reading ability matches your apparent intelligence.

wrc said:
but I guess that's too complicated to understand for someone!

Did I need to state that jumping is stupid and its proponents were out of touch with reality? I thought the subtext was pretty obvious. Ah well, considering your track record, I'm not surprised.

wrc said:
And yes,M&B does lack in "combat moves",hopefully that'll be changed if they make new engine what we all wish for and I don't say that 'jump attack" should be implemented in that case!

Oh, you were referring to retarded and obviously suboptimal options nicked off games with a very loose association with reality. Right, in that case, M&B does lack in these 'combat moves'. What it doesn't lack in are intelligent options. It's rather a lot like boxing: the options presented to you seem rather simplistic, but there's so many permutations of them that getting competent is a science in itself. You can attack a lot, but can you attack at the right time?

rapier17 said:
...jumping and attacking is not rewarding AT ALL. Trust me, I've been there. I've tried it for a giggle with fencing sabre & foil, I've given it a shot with c16 rapier and even had a go at it with an axe against a friends shield at re-enactment. It does not work at all. You waste more energy getting your body weight, your armours weight and your weapons off the ground, you do not maintain contact with the ground and thus have little control over your balance and stability, have one direction of attack, find it damned difficult to block even with a shield and you expose massive amounts of your body to the opponent. They are not going to sit there watching you leap about like a Morris dancer, they will ram their weapon through your guts, hack your ankles/knees/legs or at your waist or - well wherever they pick. Because of their stability and balance they could probably grapple you out of the air, throw you on your back and run you through - by jumping you give the advantage to your opponent, which is foolish.

No sensible fighter takes both feet off the ground at any one time, unless the situation is so desperate that they're willing to jump into an opponent, to initiate a grapple, or backwards to desperately get away and hells to whatever is behind them that they might trip/tumble on.

The power is also terrible as you're not effectively using the pelvis and thus have no stability, on the battlefield you are not on perfectly flat ground so you will most likely land badly and turn/go over your ankle or even stick your foot down a hole! It's amazing how the terrain being just a little uneven can completely disrupt balance and stability and people want to go jumping around on it whilst swinging weapons and wearing maille armour? It really is a counter-productive movement.

Just a last thing on swordwork in general, my rapier maestro, a chap named Andrew Feast, brilliant swordsman, absolutely superb, hammered it into my head that the best way to not get hit is to not be in the swords path. So when you're two foot off the ground and an axe is coming up in an underswing to split your groin in two, how you are going to move out of the way?
geesus omg, does nobody get that i just want the swings to be more realistic?? And btw if you dont think its rewarding you're doing it wrong

27POP27 said:
geesus omg, does nobody get that i just want the swings to be more realistic?? And btw if you dont think its rewarding you're doing it wrong

I'm sorry but I'll take the experience I've accrued over the last 11 years* over your claims that it would be realistic. Jumping in the air, realistically, is suicide. End of. If you are jumping into the air against an opponent then YOU are doing it wrong.

Look at any of the well known masters of the past 700 years and find me one, just one, where an attack is made whilst jumping in the air and, not only that, is recommended as being a good, practical manouver. I would be amazed if you found even one, frankly. The masters who wrote their treatise on sword work/use of weapons were men who had served in battle, who had been trained and found, the hardest way possible, to adapt their training to combat, or were lifelong masters in the use of weapons. It was their vocation, not something they did every Wednesday night as I did when I was learning to use rapiers.

*11 years Sports Fencing (Foil, Sabre)
4 years studying the rapier treatise of two Italian masters, Giacomo di Grassi & Ridulfo Capo Ferro
4 years battle re-enactment with Regia Anglorum

Night Ninja said:
As you've said, that's only really useful against completely incapacitated opponents.

The grip change is rarely seen in period manuals regarding the use of the pollaxe. It leaves you with minimal ability to manipulate the weapon against resistance when you bind against another weapon. re: shifting weight, addressed below.

---

In that case, drop steps and passing steps would also be "like a jump". Both of them exploit body mass and weight transference to generate power. I'm not seeing what you're trying to get at here. The schtick of the jump attack is done better by practically any other mechanic and with far less telegraphing and commitment.

Yes, by the terms I've been using, such things would be "like a jump". 

I went into that talk about about how an axe is swung because you asked. The point I was trying to make with that post was that you don't need to bring up some sort of proof of historically accurate comparisons of martial arts through the ages to discuss such things.  I did this, again, because you asked me to prove that what I had said in the last post had validity.  You shouldn't try to read a point into my posts that isn't there.

I also responded negatively to the accusation that I get all my knowledge from Prince of Persia moves because this is what you said:

Night Ninja said:
Wraith_Magus said:

Classic Newtonian physics, but bloody horrible biomechanics. Also, the historical treatises on combat tend to be written by people who knew what they were on about when it came to surviving an earnest encounter with someone bent on ending your life, so you'll forgive me if I take them far more seriously than some tween who's overdosed on Prince of Persia.

You said that the part about Prince of Persia was "directed at the OP," but you were clearly addressing me in that sentence, and gave no indication whatsoever in a change of subject.  Especially since this was written as a response to a quote of what I had previously said, to say that you had suddenly changed the subject to an entirely different person and their entirely different argument is a bit of a stretch, to say the least.

Simply because I have argued some points against you does not strictly mean I am agreeing with anyone else who has argued anything else against you.  Confusing one argument someone else has made for another person's argument, and attacking them all equally because of it, only tends to make your own argument weaker, as you start making personal attacks against the same people you should theoretically be trying to convince.

In such arguments, I am generally more interested in the Devil's Advocate argument than anything else.  If we are to agree that we are looking for "the most realistic" combat simulation is, then I want to try to logically explore what those mechanics would be. 

Yes, of course people would be unlikely to perform a full-body axe swing the way that someone merely splitting a log would do, unless they were trying to perform a coup de grace strike upon a downed opponent.  Such a thing isn't what you would likely see in combat the way that it works currently in Mount and Blade, but in real historical battles, plate mail was typically thick enough that knocking a guy down and either aiming for the weak points, or going for the strongest blow, even if slow and likely to leave you vulnerable, would be necessary.  (Of course, making some way to specifically tell the game "finish off an opponent that has been knocked prone before he can get up," whether by just adding another button or some more complex context-sensitive function to an existing button would make for a decent suggestion of its own, but that would be for another thread to handle.)

Of course, even in such situations, maneuvers like drop steps are more useful than a jump-attack.  As a few people have said, when you let yourself fly airborne and strike a target, then, in the terms of physics, not all of your attack is going to be a "plastic collision", but will be partially an "elastic collision", meaning that you will bounce off of a target because your feet are not planted on the ground, and you can't get good leverage, especially if the target has hard armor. 

As I was saying a few posts ago, the power of gravity you can get on your side in a jump attack is only as great as the power of your legs when you jump up into the air, but an attack where you make a thrust upwards from a low position, or make an uppercut-like swing will also use the exact same power of your legs, where the only difference would come from the power you can generate in a downward swing from additional assistance from gravity. 

In this upwards thrust attack, however, you are placing yourself between the target and the ground, and can keep pushing upward from the ground to follow through on your attack. Conversely, in a jump attack, the target has the ground on the other side of them, and they can push off the ground to help push you away if their shield or armor is hard enough to make for a partially elastic collision.

The point of this elastic collision talk being that, instead of applying all that force that you have generated into the attack, you are going to be having a portion of that force reflected back into your own body, like when two pool balls collide into one another, and the pool ball that was moving forward when it hit a pool ball at rest starts to roll backwards from the collision - that is energy that was not transferred into the target, which in turn, would lead to lesser damage.

The degree of how plastic or elastic a collision is, however, depends quite a lot upon the materials in the collision in question.  A steel shield is going to be much more elastic than just flesh or furs.

---

Generally speaking otherwise, I do not posses specific fencing expertise, so I lack the ability to critique what rapier17 has said, but nothing he has said seems misinformed based upon what I do know of tangential subjects. 

I would say, however, that unless jumping were removed from the game entirely, odds are people are going to make jump attacks, regardless of how stupid they are, and as such, their stupidity should be accurately reflected in the game if our objective is "realism". 

Therefore, again, unless your argument is "this is why there should be no jumping at all", and we somehow also remove the ability to fall off of castle walls onto people, simply arguing against jump attacks entirely is not a good argument.  The proper argument would be to model the reason why jump attacking is a bad idea. 

This doesn't even have to be terribly complex - you can just have someone who jump attacks fall over after hitting something, whether they were hit midair (and probably take extra damage for it) or land the blow perfectly, just because they cannot maintain their balance.

What we're talking about here is jumping into the air then using the momentum of your (at the very most) half a meter fall to replace the force you'd loose from being able to use your legs and torso to lead into a blow.

It's not just a matter of impracticality, it's simple physics. You can get considerably more force from a proper stance that incorporates your whole body into the force of the blow than you could from a mixture of your weight (most of which wouldn't be in the direction of the blow) and the tiny bit of momentum that gravity imparts over such a small distance. And that's not even taking into account the fact that without a solid footing below you your blow will loose most of it's force by bouncing backwards, same reason someone throwing a boxing glove at you isn't going to hurt as much as a hay maker to the face, despite the equal force imparted.

Wraith_Magus said:
Yes, by the terms I've been using, such things would be "like a jump". 

I went into that talk about about how an axe is swung because you asked. The point I was trying to make with that post was that you don't need to bring up some sort of proof of historically accurate comparisons of martial arts through the ages to discuss such things.  I did this, again, because you asked me to prove that what I had said in the last post had validity.  You shouldn't try to read a point into my posts that isn't there.

Seeing as said martial arts tend to be among the preeminent sources that we have for personal combat, I tend to place a little more weight on them than you do. It comes of being a HEMA enthusiast as well. You really shouldn't be quite so quick to dismiss their relevance, especially in a game like M&B.

Yes, I asked for a source because assuming that I knew the movement would likely have ended nearly as poorly. As it is, it was pretty close to what I was envisioning (look up sledgehammer slams on a tyre). Still, proceeding to state that a movement like that is "like a jump" is a gross oversimplification. It's like saying that both apples and tomatoes are "just fruit". My comparison was meant to highlight that, but apparently the point didn't get across.

Wraith_Magus said:
You said that the part about Prince of Persia was "directed at the OP," but you were clearly addressing me in that sentence, and gave no indication whatsoever in a change of subject.  Especially since this was written as a response to a quote of what I had previously said, to say that you had suddenly changed the subject to an entirely different person and their entirely different argument is a bit of a stretch, to say the least.

Simply because I have argued some points against you does not strictly mean I am agreeing with anyone else who has argued anything else against you.  Confusing one argument someone else has made for another person's argument, and attacking them all equally because of it, only tends to make your own argument weaker, as you start making personal attacks against the same people you should theoretically be trying to convince.

Since the OP is the only one with an avatar from the aforementioned game and all, I thought it was pretty damned obvious. My intent was to point out that I wasn't going to take his word for it when there were multiple sources that contradicted his meager experience. Ah well, next time I shall endeavor to make the target of my jibes more obvious. Perhaps you should be a little less thin-skinned and consider that you aren't the sole participant in the thread.

In case you weren't aware, you don't come across like a tween who's overdosed on Prince of Persia. More like a product of the unholy union of Ringwraith and Swadius. :razz:

Wraith_Magus said:
In such arguments, I am generally more interested in the Devil's Advocate argument than anything else.  If we are to agree that we are looking for "the most realistic" combat simulation is, then I want to try to logically explore what those mechanics would be. 

Yes, of course people would be unlikely to perform a full-body axe swing the way that someone merely splitting a log would do, unless they were trying to perform a coup de grace strike upon a downed opponent.  Such a thing isn't what you would likely see in combat the way that it works currently in Mount and Blade, but in real historical battles, plate mail was typically thick enough that knocking a guy down and either aiming for the weak points, or going for the strongest blow, even if slow and likely to leave you vulnerable, would be necessary.  (Of course, making some way to specifically tell the game "finish off an opponent that has been knocked prone before he can get up," whether by just adding another button or some more complex context-sensitive function to an existing button would make for a decent suggestion of its own, but that would be for another thread to handle.)

Of course, even in such situations, maneuvers like drop steps are more useful than a jump-attack.  As a few people have said, when you let yourself fly airborne and strike a target, then, in the terms of physics, not all of your attack is going to be a "plastic collision", but will be partially an "elastic collision", meaning that you will bounce off of a target because your feet are not planted on the ground, and you can't get good leverage, especially if the target has hard armor.

As I was saying a few posts ago, the power of gravity you can get on your side in a jump attack is only as great as the power of your legs when you jump up into the air, but an attack where you make a thrust upwards from a low position, or make an uppercut-like swing will also use the exact same power of your legs, where the only difference would come from the power you can generate in a downward swing from additional assistance from gravity. 

In this upwards thrust attack, however, you are placing yourself between the target and the ground, and can keep pushing upward from the ground to follow through on your attack. Conversely, in a jump attack, the target has the ground on the other side of them, and they can push off the ground to help push you away if their shield or armor is hard enough to make for a partially elastic collision.

The point of this elastic collision talk being that, instead of applying all that force that you have generated into the attack, you are going to be having a portion of that force reflected back into your own body, like when two pool balls collide into one another, and the pool ball that was moving forward when it hit a pool ball at rest starts to roll backwards from the collision - that is energy that was not transferred into the target, which in turn, would lead to lesser damage.

The degree of how plastic or elastic a collision is, however, depends quite a lot upon the materials in the collision in question.  A steel shield is going to be much more elastic than just flesh or furs.

Yes, I got that impression, even while replying in the wee hours of the night.

In a scrap between two similarly trained men in full plate harness, grappling tends to be the deciding factor. It's bloody hard to land a solid, fully-committed strike on someone who really doesn't want to be hit (and who's trying to return the favour!), let alone thread a sword point into a relatively small area. Even a prone opponent is capable of a degree of evasion. If we're going to go for grognard levels of realism, that's pretty important. And bloody difficult to implement in a fun way. If you're so inclined, I'd suggest popping by a local class. BJJ, wrestling, judo, sambo etc will all give you a taste of what it's like.

No argument there. Just going to point out that human bodies don't do inelastic impacts (or anything close) even under ideal circumstances, seeking the specific use of structure that gets close to that holy grail is part of most martial arts worth the name. People can generate plenty of power, but whether that power gets to the target is another matter entirely.

Less, I'd imagine. If both of you are on level ground, the distance from you to the target at the apex of your jump is likely considerably shorter than the vertical distance you jumped. There's more to it than that for the descending cut, but that deals with the realm of silly complex biomechanics. I have no idea or inclination how to calculate the amount of force that proper hip and/or shoulder movement adds to a particular strike, if you do, please share it.

In essence, yes, but that applies to the ascending cut as well. You're still placing yourself between the target and the ground, it's just that there's additional linkages which render it a little less efficient. As is usual for anything involving movement of the human body, there's more to it.

Which is why grounding is pretty heavily emphasized in many arts. If the cue ball is able to place itself between the ground and the target, as you said earlier, it's going to be significantly more efficient simply by virtue of it being a less elastic collision.

Wraith_Magus said:
Generally speaking otherwise, I do not posses specific fencing expertise, so I lack the ability to critique what rapier17 has said, but nothing he has said seems misinformed based upon what I do know of tangential subjects. 

I would say, however, that unless jumping were removed from the game entirely, odds are people are going to make jump attacks, regardless of how stupid they are, and as such, their stupidity should be accurately reflected in the game if our objective is "realism". 

Therefore, again, unless your argument is "this is why there should be no jumping at all", and we somehow also remove the ability to fall off of castle walls onto people, simply arguing against jump attacks entirely is not a good argument.  The proper argument would be to model the reason why jump attacking is a bad idea. 

This doesn't even have to be terribly complex - you can just have someone who jump attacks fall over after hitting something, whether they were hit midair (and probably take extra damage for it) or land the blow perfectly, just because they cannot maintain their balance.

That's fine, the bugger has about thrice the experience I do. Generally the only time I can call him out is if he commits a massive ****up.

My argument is more along the lines of "the game handles it fine now". The OP was whining about how the jump attack didn't impart enough of a speed bonus for his liking, if you recall. As it is it's extremely suboptimal compared to less silly strikes, and that's the way it should be.

Wraith_Magus said:

The Vikingr mod handled it perfectly, given the constraints of the M&B engine. You weren't truly able to attack whilst jumping, so those who were new to the mod who picked a dane axe and jumped around trying to attack people couldn't work out why their weapon wasn't swinging and were butchered. Horrifically. Although even without the animation the attack could still happen and I had a shot at it with another chap and we could still time the attacks to land at maximum efficiency within the M&B mechanics, but because of the lack of a visual indicator, people didn't bother with it and it certainly made combat feel far grittier (especially with all the other changes they made).

Night Ninja said:
That's fine, the bugger has about thrice the experience I do. Generally the only time I can call him out is if he commits a massive ****up.

Which, quite frankly, it is more than possible for me to do. Experience ≠ Competance, so if you spot anything in my crazy rantings and so on, do haul me up on them. Worth remembering that majority of my experience is from what is now a sport, not a true martial art. Also re-enactment didn't happen -every- weekend and we didn't always train each week, sometimes we didn't train for a month or two, so whilst I have 4 years of this and that and so on, don't read into it that I'm the new upcoming maestro - especially as I haven't picked up a 'real steel' for a spar in over four years.

rapier17 said:

/End of thread

This post was a wonderful summary of why jumping is one of the quickest ways to get killed in any sort of fight(unarmed or with sharp objects).

Several years of various martial arts(unarmed), has taught me that when someone is no longer in contact with the ground, they are in some very deep trouble.  :razz:

Well, since it's highly possible that it was buried in the bottom of the multi-topic posts I have made previously, I'll just try to say this again in more direct language:

This game already has jump attacks.  All you have to do is jump then attack.  Arguing against jump attacks being put in the game is pointless, they're already there.

What this game doesn't have are realistic consequences for that sort of attack. 

If you want to talk about the parts about how attacks are more likely to bounce back and lose some of that damage potential, or how imbalanced and likely to get knocked flat on your back you are, then those are arguments for changing what is already in the game, not against them.

Well, against a competent human player, there are consequences. It's called 'getting stabbed in the face' in most quarters, I believe.

I mentioned that I thought the game handled them fine now i.e. it's clearly a suboptimal option. Probably not quite as punishing as it should be, but eh.

Back
Top Bottom