Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coup is still ongoing, airstrikes, helicopter attacks and gunfire in several cities reported.

Video of helicopter attack;

https://twitter.com/Havrekhshaeta/status/754050251909193728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Mamlaz said:
I would say that the fact that Europe was at the time experiencing the biggest population boom it ever experienced until post WW2, I would say the peasantry was neither starving nor being oppressed nearly to the level you presume.

What are you talking about? Try Googling 'British agricultural revolution':

"The British Agricultural Revolution was the unprecedented increase in agricultural production in Britain due to increases in labour and land productivity between the mid-17th and late 19th centuries. Agricultural output grew faster than the population over the century to 1770, and thereafter productivity remained among the highest in the world. This increase in the food supply contributed to the rapid growth of population in England and Wales, from 5.5 million in 1700 to over 9 million by 1801 though domestic production gave way increasingly to food imports in the nineteenth century as population more than tripled to over 32 million.[1] The rise in productivity accelerated the decline of the agricultural share of the labour force, adding to the urban workforce on which industrialization depended: the Agricultural Revolution has therefore been cited as a cause of the Industrial Revolution."

That's a long time after the medieval period and a long time before WW2.

Yeah, I messed up with that comment, total brainfart.

Even when I take into consideration that I meant it continental wise(the rest of Europe, especially eastern Europe did not follow Britain att), I am still completely wrong.

The period did experience a massive population boom though.

VictorF said:
guys,  any projections on how turkey's coup will interfere with bannerlord's development? My sentiments to all turkish people in this terrible moment.

well look at this https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/754087041403682816 and this https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/754052241183674368 and this https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/754088621116907521 and this https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/754041460454981632

Đяαкøℵ said:
JESUS CHRIST I WILL NOT ALLOW A TEAM OF ISLAMIST F*CKHEAD MONKEY****S TO RUIN MY DREAM AND PROBABLY MASSACRE PEOPLE.
What we need to do is what America did to the Japanese. They deserved it and so does ISIS and all other similar groups. JUST NUKE THE MIDDLE EAST.
never post again.

ToyBoat said:
Đяαкøℵ said:
JESUS CHRIST I WILL NOT ALLOW A TEAM OF ISLAMIST F*CKHEAD MONKEY****S TO RUIN MY DREAM AND PROBABLY MASSACRE PEOPLE.
What we need to do is what America did to the Japanese. They deserved it and so does ISIS and all other similar groups. JUST NUKE THE MIDDLE EAST.
never post again.

I agree. No need to fight hate with hate.

Ban IMHO. But returning to Bannerlord...
Recent events have made me wonder if armies should be able to revolt and if lords should be able to stage a coup d'état.
In a tribal structure it would be hard to seize power, but in a roman-like empire we simply MUST have stabby senators and armies crossing the Rubicone.

Well they said you could become king by marrying the king's daughter. Presumably if taking over an existing faction is possible this way then you can also do it through more forceful activity.

Yabloko said:
Ban IMHO. But returning to Bannerlord...
Recent events have made me wonder if armies should be able to revolt and if lords should be able to stage a coup d'état.
In a tribal structure it would be hard to seize power, but in a roman-like empire we simply MUST have stabby senators and armies crossing the Rubicone.
:smile: I recently spoke about this:
Yaga said:
Captain Lust, whether lords and conspire to overthrow the king?

Mamlaz said:
The period did experience a massive population boom though.
The population was growing at the time, but the populations of Ethiopia and Eritrea are growing today. It's not an indication that the population isn't facing serious hardship and malnutrition, which was the certainly the case during this early medieval period of population growth.

Mamlaz said:
It is though, historian Michael Prestwich in his book Edward I states that even in the hostile environment in Wales, the average castle garrison a lord commanded was;

"In 1284 30 or 40 men to each was regarded as appropriate. In the rebellion of 1294-5 Harlech had twenty men, of whom two died during the siege, until reinforcements came from Ireland."

Other castles in less hostile areas had even less men, as few as 4-5.

You are utterly ignorant of the fact that the vast majority of the lords own armed men were not castle dweling rich pricks but freemen selected from those same villages you presume they oppressed.

Thus, if a lord wanted to go into a village to do some dirty business, he would have mighty issues doing so.

I'm not ignorant of that fact. I was not disputing that most of the troops available to a lord were levied from their estate (not necessarily as freemen - peasant designations are a bit complicated, especially if you're talking about Europe as a whole), but the idea that these levies or their families would be remotely confident in any ability to overwhelm the few rich, well equipped and well trained retainers. It's a moot point though, since, a I said, even if they were somehow successful, someone else would come in to punish them.

Mamlaz said:
Alright, find me all those primary sources describing those evil lords going about their average day raping people and pillaging their own property.

I will wait.

Keep tilting at straw men, but don't hold your breath.

Mamlaz said:
The point is it rarely happened anywhere and had decades of time between them.

I'm not sure how that advances your argument rather than mine. It rarely happened because it almost inevitably failed. It happened sometimes because, even knowing how unlikely it was to advance their interests and how terrible the consequences of failure would be, the complainants were sometimes so desperate that they'd throw in their lot with a suicidal cause.

Meevar the Mighty said:
The population was growing at the time, but the populations of Ethiopia and Eritrea are growing today. It's not an indication that the population isn't facing serious hardship and malnutrition, which was the certainly the case during this early medieval period of population growth.

They have modern medicine and technology lol.

Starving and overly oppressed people did not experience population booms before the industrial revolution.

They also definitely did not dance, party and drink every Sunday and had more days off than modern workers have in the West.

Meevar the Mighty said:
but the idea that these levies or their families would be remotely confident in any ability to overwhelm the few rich, well equipped and well trained retainers. It's a moot point though, since, a I said, even if they were somehow successful, someone else would come in to punish them.

My argument is that they would not have to at all(in most cases).

Even so, protecting your loved ones seems kinda a primary concern next to a possible negative outcome of resisting.

Meevar the Mighty said:
Keep tilting at straw men, but don't hold your breath.

Demanding any evidence is now strawmaning?

Meevar the Mighty said:
I'm not sure how that advances your argument rather than mine. It rarely happened because it almost inevitably failed. It happened sometimes because, even knowing how unlikely it was to advance their interests and how terrible the consequences of failure would be, the complainants were sometimes so desperate that they'd throw in their lot with a suicidal cause.

Or, perhaps it rarely happened because peasants did not see it as a proper course of action?

Perhaps, and just perhaps, they weren't at all so oppressed as you claim they were and were thus, quite content with the rich pricks in the castles as long as they murdered all the rapey brigands around their villages.

Mamlaz said:
They have modern medicine and technology lol.

Starving and overly oppressed people did not experience population booms before the industrial revolution.

They also definitely did not dance, party and drink every Sunday and had more days off than modern workers have in the West.

Nice seamless transition into what I assume is supposed to be sarcasm, is English not your first language or something?

Peasants were "employed" to pay taxes. Generally, they would spend a lot of their free time working for their own upkeep, which wasn't covered by the work that they were officially required to do, so to say that they had so many "days off" is pretty misleading. They had to work much harder than modern workers in "the West" to survive. The fact that they weren't allowed to work on the Sabbath isn't really a mitigating factor.

Mamlaz said:
My argument is that they would not have to at all(in most cases).

Even so, protecting your loved ones seems kinda a primary concern next to a possible negative outcome of resisting.

Of course they didn't have to; they had to not even think about it.

The negative outcome in question, which was all but assured, was that you would be dead and your family even more destitute, with nobody to provide for them. Pursuing that outcome is probably not the best way of protecting your loved ones.

Mamlaz said:
Demanding any evidence is now strawmaning?

If that's the criteria you question when you're accused of straw-manning, it's little wonder that you're guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom