Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
MrMundy said:
I supect booth but with the mods being as comaptible with mac as they are right now.
You will be send to the Erziehungslager for buying a mac anyways, so you wont need to think about Bannerlord.

Lol, that's right, that'll teach him.  :grin:

Meevar the Mighty said:
those taxes were great enough that they starved in order to pay them.

No.

Just, no.

Some peasants did starve, but taxation was the least likely reason for that.

Meevar the Mighty said:
It's true that nobles who were found guilty of murdering their subjects would be penalised, but the idea of what justified property seizure, torture, maiming and execution tended to be very biased in favour of the nobles to put it mildly. The peasants had much greater cause to be liked by their lord than the other way around, because they lived on a knife's edge and it was his knife.

I was talking about hostile armies marching through, not their own lord.

Also, peasants hardly lived on a knife's edge of their own lord, considering that the average lords retinue only had about 10-20 men, while the folk in the villages had one armed man per family(usually by law), meaning those dozen dudes would not even be able to enter a village of 100 people without being outnumbered by hardy dudes in war gear and loads of their buddies with work tools.

Meevar the Mighty said:
The disparity did decrease drastically during the medieval period and by the Renaissance, peasants had much better prospects, though they were still generally at a significant legal disadvantage, they were certainly much better equipped to hold nobles to account through legal pressure and through military pressure. To put things into perspective though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_peasant_revolts , it was still a very risky thing to challenge authority directly.

Ah, yes, a couple revolts over a period of numerous centuries spanning the entire continent of Europe, surely an image of constant upheaval  :facepalm:

Mamlaz said:
Meevar the Mighty said:
those taxes were great enough that they starved in order to pay them.

No.

Just, no.

The main reason for starvation in the Middle Ages was famine and plagues affecting the crops. Taxation was harsh, but it permitted a tiny surplus of resources for the peasantry. It was this surplus that allowed the slow growth of commerce during all the Middle Ages.

One thing I hated in Warband is that you couldn't have headwear while indoors. What if I wanna be a masked commander (RP) and never show my face?

Well seeing as you now have 2 sets of clothes, armour/non-armour (presumably), which by the looks of it you can set up yourself.

Might be able to do such a thing, though I don't know if they would still remove any kind of headwear if you go into a lord's hall out of "respect".

TerrorFishki said:
Well seeing as you now have 2 sets of clothes, armour/non-armour (presumably), which by the looks of it you can set up yourself.

Might be able to do such a thing, though I don't know if they would still remove any kind of headwear if you go into a lord's hall out of "respect".
What if I don't want to respect King Ragnar, who after I conquered Swadia myself in 3 months losing all of my army, didn't give any single fief to me?

In that case you can just fill his capital city with gangs to crush his economy while filling your own pockets  :cool:

Edit: Typing this has actually made me curious to what extend we will be able to "secretly" take revenge on someone we dislike by ruining his economy while not actually attacking him (for example with a lord from the same faction).
We know you can put in gangs and such and that if the lord knows they are yours he won't like you, but perhaps there will be a way to try and make it so that the lord doesn't know the gang belongs to you?
Would be pretty cool I guess.

SenorZorros said:
if I can trust this source
http://www.medievalists.net/2015/07/16/how-much-taxes-did-a-medieval-peasant-pay-the-numbers-from-sweden/
taxes were wildly varying though relatively mild during peacetime. furthermore richer peasants often paid taxes of the poorer ones weren't able to do so. you'd have to get some sources to support the idea of repression. since the peasant class was about 90% of the populace it seems to me that repressing them would be quite hard. especially on the scale of a single village. while the large scale revolts indeed often failed there haven't been as many records on the amount of lords who died in an "accident".

The article is talking about the 14th century and beyond, by which time, as I've said, peasants had it pretty easy, relative to their position in say, the 11th century. The article does mention though that
The situation would change dramatically in 1363, when Sweden was invaded by German knights led by Duke Albert of Mecklenburg. Duke Albert’s son, who was also named Albert, was elected King of Sweden the following year, and the family would rule until 1389. The historians call this era “a decentralized plunder economy” with extremely high taxes (as well as just outright theft of peasant property) being needed to support huge military expenses.

Which is the whole point. If they wanted to, nobles could seize whatever they wanted from the peasantry, who were well aware that their problems didn't stem from their immediate liege, but from the state of the realm and from their very birth into a society that prohibited them from having any friends in high places, while their oppressors necessarily had an immediate family in positions of power.

Mamlaz said:
No.

Just, no.

I would say that if you pay enough tax to feed someone and then starve, the taxes can reasonably be blamed for your starvation. Early medieval peasants were subsistence farmers and didn't have reserves to weigh against crop failure. Even in the best of times, when food was relatively plentiful, they couldn't afford what we would consider a balanced diet. Working done explicitly to pay taxes might not have been the majority of their work, but it was the extra work beyond their capacity that made life much more difficult.

Mamlaz said:
Also, peasants hardly lived on a knife's edge of their own lord, considering that the average lords retinue only had about 10-20 men, while the folk in the villages had one armed man per family(usually by law), meaning those dozen dudes would not even be able to enter a village of 100 people without being outnumbered by hardy dudes in war gear and loads of their buddies with work tools.

Even if that were true, which it isn't by a long shot and we pretend for a moment that it was feasible for a village mob to overwhelm a lord and his retinue, to do so would be very much against the law, so participating would be a death sentence for everyone involved and for their dependants.

Mamlaz said:
Ah, yes, a couple revolts over a period of numerous centuries spanning the entire continent of Europe, surely an image of constant upheaval  :facepalm:

The point was all of the red boxes. When peasants did decide to rise up against their masters, they were almost always crushed. The few successful peasant rebellions in the medieval period in Europe occurred in the later part of the period, by which time many members of the lowest class were in fact very wealthy. Even with this being the case, the vast majority of even later medieval peasant revolts were bitter failures.

Meevar the Mighty said:
I would say that if you pay enough tax to feed someone and then starve, the taxes can reasonably be blamed for your starvation. Early medieval peasants were subsistence farmers and didn't have reserves to weigh against crop failure. Even in the best of times, when food was relatively plentiful, they couldn't afford what we would consider a balanced diet. Working done explicitly to pay taxes might not have been the majority of their work, but it was the extra work beyond their capacity that made life much more difficult.

You just keep going at it...

I would say that the fact that Europe was at the time experiencing the biggest population boom it ever experienced until post WW2, I would say the peasantry was neither starving nor being oppressed nearly to the level you presume.

Meevar the Mighty said:
Even if that were true, which it isn't

It is though, historian Michael Prestwich in his book Edward I states that even in the hostile environment in Wales, the average castle garrison a lord commanded was;

"In 1284 30 or 40 men to each was regarded as appropriate. In the rebellion of 1294-5 Harlech had twenty men, of whom two died during the siege, until reinforcements came from Ireland."

Other castles in less hostile areas had even less men, as few as 4-5.

You are utterly ignorant of the fact that the vast majority of the lords own armed men were not castle dweling rich pricks but freemen selected from those same villages you presume they oppressed.

Thus, if a lord wanted to go into a village to do some dirty business, he would have mighty issues doing so.

Meevar the Mighty said:
by a long shot and we pretend for a moment that it was feasible for a village mob to overwhelm a lord and his retinue, to do so would be very much against the law, so participating would be a death sentence for everyone involved and for their dependants.

Alright, find me all those primary sources describing those evil lords going about their average day raping people and pillaging their own property.

I will wait.

Meevar the Mighty said:
The point was all of the red boxes.

The point is it rarely happened anywhere and had decades of time between them.

Meevar the Mighty said:
When peasants did decide to rise up against their masters, they were almost always crushed.

Nobody is denying that.

Wait, were the planes a measure against the group or a part of the group?

Because if they have planes flying over Istanbul it could be very serious indeed.

More info can be found here;

https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/4t12h3/turkish_military_blocks_istanbul_bridges/

Apparently it could be a coup, holy Christ this is serious.

JESUS CHRIST I WILL NOT ALLOW A TEAM OF ISLAMIST F*CKHEAD MONKEY****S TO RUIN MY DREAM AND PROBABLY MASSACRE PEOPLE.
What we need to do is what America did to the Japanese. They deserved it and so does ISIS and all other similar groups. JUST NUKE THE MIDDLE EAST.

Đяαкøℵ said:
JESUS CHRIST I WILL NOT ALLOW A TEAM OF ISLAMIST F*CKHEAD MONKEY****S TO RUIN MY DREAM AND PROBABLY MASSACRE PEOPLE.
What we need to do is what America did to the Japanese. They deserved it and so does ISIS and all other similar groups. JUST NUKE THE MIDDLE EAST.

And kill innocents along the road. Sounds like a sensible plan.

Yabloko said:
Đяαкøℵ said:

And kill innocents along the road. Sounds like a sensible plan.
We don't pay much attention to his posts in general, dont worry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom