Lets not sit around and act like the game hasnt improved from balance changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

So true- you know cav is there, but it's like an echo chamber so you have no idea which direction or how far away they are.

I think cav doesn't need to be slowed down, but the damage X speed needs to be lowered. You can block or dodge a cav charge, and they can wheel around you and each stab seems to carry the full weight of the horse at high speed, while your spear or pike just scratches them.

And it has been a long time since I played cav, but I remember you could couch forever. Is that still a thing? But players would just gallop through the streets with spear couched and would eventually hit someone, usually right around a corner where both players were just as surprised to see each other... except now the infantry is dead. This is why cavalry are so much more dangerous in towns than they are in fields- which is the exact opposite of what it should be.
When it comes to couch it seems to be in a decent position. Its been a while since i've been frustrated being couched. Stabbing seems to be the better option than couching.

Another thing that would really help infantry is increase the speed at which we can switch weapons. That way when we see a cav charging us we would be faster to switch from sword to spear.

I personally think that Cav might be in a good spot right now with further careful being the way to go forward. Light horses now die like flies and heavy horses also are more squishy compared to the update before. I'd wait a bit to see how the meta plays out, especially considering that now every faction has archers with 60 base damage and skirmishers which work quite effectively against cav. I'm not saying that this is my preferred method to keep cavalry in check but it's better than have 200g class destroy everything.
The nature of cavalry will always make it efficient against an uncoordinated team of publics, especially with couch lances being a pub stomper for ppl who don't know how to react or have no awareness of what's going on around them.

Before we further grind cav down, I'd encourage to look at archers first and buff heavy inf to make it more viable, in current comp settings it is used as meatshield and provider for spears for cav, but not that much more.

PS: If you slow down cavalry, have fun with archers dominating the entire field. They will also reliably shoot your for 50 damage below your shield at 200 meters, have fun. Archer tears about cav are like milk in my coffee. You guys are abusing the second OP class compared to inf and cry about the other OP class? Well then, tough luck.
I hard disagree with this. My main issue is that infantry no longer has a counter to cavalry, none what so ever. The cavalry can just slow down instantly before they hit the spear, and they now have the advantage. The infantry has to hit the rider, which is incredibly easy to miss if the cavalry is facing him, the cavalry however has easy head hits and faster animations. They can also twist their bodies in some interesting ways

Infantry has no way of locking down an area. The purpose of a spear inf should be closing down a fight so enemy cavalry cant interrupt and do disgusting amount of damage, but with how cavalry works right now, thats not possible. Every fight ends up like this:
Infantry switches to spear because a cavalry comes close.
Cavalry double taps S to instantly stop, close to the spear max distance.
Infantry either goes for the stab and misses, or does a pitiful amount of damage.
The cavalry either walks slowly, or double taps W to get forward
The Infantry can ready an attack, again do pitiful damage and most likely hit the horse for 30 damage, or shield up because the attack of the cavalry is likely to be faster.
The cavalry can attack the inf, or pick a target next to the infantry whos unaware.
Absolute worst scenario for the cav, he stops infront of the inf, and just rides away to interfere with another fight.

A cavalry charged me at the staircase on Trading post yesterday and I thought HAH what an idiot! Hes trapped and cant move! Me as an infantry certainly has the advantage now! Nop. His side swings are literally faster than mine, so he killed me.

Archers shouldnt be the counter to cavalry, but thank god they are, otherwise the game would be even less fun than it is now. Sorry that an archer can do 100 damage when you barrel down towards them at the speed of light and they nail you in the head, even that is often 50-50. If the archer misses, the cavalry guaranteed kills him.
(Crossbows are still broken please nerf)
Archers broken? Fix archers. Cavalry broken? Fix cavalry? Infantry broken? Fix infantry. No class should be inherrently OP because it makes it less fun for everyone else.

Heavy cavalry is broken and doing minor changes to damage wont fix that. Movement is what makes cavalry broken.

They could be in a good spot as long as Infantry gets buffed. A good buff on infantry could be the end of this balancing crap.

Although there is one major factor missing from Cav = better sound. We need to hear them properly.
Sound occlusion is nearly done and already on beta branch.

I hard disagree with this. My main issue is that infantry no longer has a counter to cavalry, none what so ever. The cavalry can just slow down instantly before they hit the spear, and they now have the advantage. The infantry has to hit the rider, which is incredibly easy to miss if the cavalry is facing him, the cavalry however has easy head hits and faster animations. They can also twist their bodies in some interesting ways

Infantry has no way of locking down an area. The purpose of a spear inf should be closing down a fight so enemy cavalry cant interrupt and do disgusting amount of damage, but with how cavalry works right now, thats not possible. Every fight ends up like this:
Infantry switches to spear because a cavalry comes close.
Cavalry double taps S to instantly stop, close to the spear max distance.
Infantry either goes for the stab and misses, or does a pitiful amount of damage.
The cavalry either walks slowly, or double taps W to get forward
The Infantry can ready an attack, again do pitiful damage and most likely hit the horse for 30 damage, or shield up because the attack of the cavalry is likely to be faster.
The cavalry can attack the inf, or pick a target next to the infantry whos unaware.
Absolute worst scenario for the cav, he stops infront of the inf, and just rides away to interfere with another fight.

A cavalry charged me at the staircase on Trading post yesterday and I thought HAH what an idiot! Hes trapped and cant move! Me as an infantry certainly has the advantage now! Nop. His side swings are literally faster than mine, so he killed me.

Archers shouldnt be the counter to cavalry, but thank god they are, otherwise the game would be even less fun than it is now. Sorry that an archer can do 100 damage when you barrel down towards them at the speed of light and they nail you in the head, even that is often 50-50. If the archer misses, the cavalry guaranteed kills him.
(Crossbows are still broken please nerf)
Archers broken? Fix archers. Cavalry broken? Fix cavalry? Infantry broken? Fix infantry. No class should be inherrently OP because it makes it less fun for everyone else.

Heavy cavalry is broken and doing minor changes to damage wont fix that. Movement is what makes cavalry broken.
I am not saying it is perfect, I never have. I want to see further balancing down the road. But more nerfs on cavalry right now might kill the class off because Archers will just shred them apart. I get the feeling that this entire debate becomes emotionally at this point because cavalry is responsible for the annoying kills in a teamfight. So buffs on infantry are what is needed right now and developers acknowledges this. Archers need to be adressed seperately because their damage output is on this patch more than insane.
I'm not saying they shouldn't deal reliable damage, but it's rather ridiculous if you get mown down by them as infantry before you even have the opportunity to lock engagement because you can get shot into the foot or into the head above/beyond the shield. But nobody complaints about that, it's all cavalry?

Again: in competitive cavalry gets upgrades to their equipment by sharing the equipment the team spawns with and the way teams fight each other will create situations for cavalry to strike and be the damage dealer in a teamfight.
In Public the nature of the class makes it a stomper, because people are not coordinated enough to fight back cavalry or frankly - too bad. People could be equally stomped by a good infantry player or archer aswell and it happens, but nobody is crying about that? ***** please. This is ridiculous.

The game balance, feel of combat and overall functionality of combat is 10x better then the early days or the beta. Saying otherwise is just factually incorrect; especially after TW basically line-for-line copied the community parameters into the game.

This community has very selective memory if they think combat hasn't improved. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's leaps and bounds better.

The game balance, feel of combat and overall functionality of combat is 10x better then the early days or the beta. Saying otherwise is just factually incorrect; especially after TW basically line-for-line copied the community parameters into the game.

This community has very selective memory if they think combat hasn't improved. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's leaps and bounds better.
Partially Agreed.

Nobody forgets the milestone of the 1.5.0 update, which was a radical change and a community-dev teamwork based on mutual trust.
Tell me, @AxiosXiphos what was the milestone between 1.5.0 (early August 2020) and 1.5.8 (early February 2021)? :iamamoron: ?

As selective as TW taking suggestions about the class system ??

Sound occlusion is nearly done and already on beta branch.

I am not saying it is perfect, I never have. I want to see further balancing down the road. But more nerfs on cavalry right now might kill the class off because Archers will just shred them apart. I get the feeling that this entire debate becomes emotionally at this point because cavalry is responsible for the annoying kills in a teamfight. So buffs on infantry are what is needed right now and developers acknowledges this. Archers need to be adressed seperately because their damage output is on this patch more than insane.
I'm not saying they shouldn't deal reliable damage, but it's rather ridiculous if you get mown down by them as infantry before you even have the opportunity to lock engagement because you can get shot into the foot or into the head above/beyond the shield. But nobody complaints about that, it's all cavalry?

Again: in competitive cavalry gets upgrades to their equipment by sharing the equipment the team spawns with and the way teams fight each other will create situations for cavalry to strike and be the damage dealer in a teamfight.
In Public the nature of the class makes it a stomper, because people are not coordinated enough to fight back cavalry or frankly - too bad. People could be equally stomped by a good infantry player or archer aswell and it happens, but nobody is crying about that? ***** please. This is ridiculous.
So fix archers too ?‍♂️
Increase the shield sizes to make footshots much harder to pull off, reduce the damage if needed and maybe the game wont be filled with cavs and archers every single game.

Saying things like "its a skill difference" ok sure, how can an infantry prevent a cavalry from entering a fight? Im relatively new at infantry in this game, so maybe I'm just bad at it, I'll welcome any suggestion on it because everything that worked in the past can be nullified by clicking the same button twice. I'm sure every single infantry competitive infantry player from Warband plays cavalry because of the cute horses.
As for Public play, I guess nobody will play public then unless theyre cav and archer, since it just wont be fun. Without public play the game dies. Its not the same against a strong infantry player because atleast then they get to fight back. Then again we can also discuss the feint spam abuse and how stupid that is.

But they didnt, and while alot of the issues were largely fixed, the more people play, the more they learn, the more they learn what works and what doesnt, and realise this aspect of fighting is broken. Taleworld have largely ignored the feedback on alot of these things because fixing it is way more difficult than altering the damage by a couple of points.

EDIT:

Nobody forgets the milestone of the 1.5.0 update, which was a radical change and a community-dev teamwork based on mutual trust.
Tell me, @AxiosXiphos what was the milestone between 1.5.0 (early August 2020) and 1.5.8 (early February 2021)? :iamamoron: ?
You mean when crushthrough was introduced and literally everyone hated it? When the testers said "This is a horrible mechanic please dont add this" and then then poof, added.

[...]

You mean when crushthrough was introduced and literally everyone hated it? When the testers said "This is a horrible mechanic please dont add this" and then then poof, added.
giphy.gif

Oh, my memory is so bad... I must have a very selective one. :iamamoron:

Before we further grind cav down, I'd encourage to look at archers first and buff heavy inf to make it more viable, in current comp settings it is used as meatshield and provider for spears for cav, but not that much more.

PS: If you slow down cavalry, have fun with archers dominating the entire field. They will also reliably shoot your for 50 damage below your shield at 200 meters, have fun. Archer tears about cav are like milk in my coffee. You guys are abusing the second OP class compared to inf and cry about the other OP class? Well then, tough luck.
****in +1

It has improved people.
In all honesty it has improved but is it no longer broken and enjoyable to play? Far from it. Almost a year and we still have missing basic features and servers still crash constantly, chambers are luck, stance system which is very hard to control effects swing speed and dmg making more rng. This game is a 20 sided dice role with a bow split na community

I also like that Skirmishers now have viable javelins, and other classes kinda lose grip to throwing weapons, so throwing becomes less often - but exclusive for skirmishers classes so they will have their own place on battle
Cant wait removal of throwables for shock infantry, and adding some more close ranged perks for them

Back
Top Bottom