I'm tired of peasants with pitchforks stopping my fully plated Knights charge

Users who are viewing this thread

Well consider another thing here, a pitchfork is a farming implement. This is not a pike, halberd, or trident... its a cheap broom handle usually less than 2m long with a cheap piece of metal fastened to the end, used for shifting hay around. In the game, peasants and looters have these because they can't afford weapons, so they use farming implements. To brace for a charge attack both hands would need to be on the shaft and the base would have to be on the ground, otherwise that thing is flying out of your hands as soon as it hits a horse.

If you really want to talk realism, a knight is trampling over a guy with a pitchfork every single time.

I agree to buff the heavy cavalry charge
Charge damage in this game is so low, becouse collision is kinda broken. Horses have infinite mass and can pool through square of infantry with no problems.

Horses just go through infantry like piss through the snow.

When you charge at full speed aimbot will hit you. With stones, with pitchfork, they would hit with a dagger too but dagger is shorter so being interrupted by pitchfork is more common. The horse doesn't seems to care. Armored horse is just unstoppable but charge for little damage because rider is interrupted. At player happens more often because armor in shop is around 30 while AI goes with 50 armor. Horses have even 60 armor, polearms get more chance to stop them if they make damage but their damage output is very low, I never cut two cataphract's horses in only one attack with my axe like that old video.

As others have said, the lack of impact & damage for both parties, as well as morale/fear/nerve, makes it hard to get this right in game. Its not just the physics of pitchfork versus knight, but also the psychology in the situation. I don't think we'll be able to perfect it, but I'd prefer a little more oompfh for both sides. Most mods I've seen thus far increase charge damage but don't increase fall damage, for example.

snip

This, right here, is the fundamental flaw in almost every mod that is ever done. I can appreciate mods, and I'm not saying I don't, but 90%+ are more akin to cheat codes to allow a player to stack the deck in their favor with their preferred playstyle.

Not only is there too much romanticization of cavalry going on in general, but most attempts at realism don't actually make it very realistic since there are several things (like players being able to accurately fire a bow behind them on a horse at a trot out the gate) that give cavalry too much of an advantage in areas, yet these never seem to be addressed.

Performing "Parthian Shots" from a horse should be a feat after 50 or so points in riding and bow (need to take both halves to perform)

Being dismounted should cause a handful of blunt damage to the rider

Using longer weapons from horseback should come at a risk to the horse. Ever wonder why Cavalry weapons were mostly compact with the exception of lances and pole weapons designed to thrust?

Mods often only add to the "dominance" of the modders preferred method to approach the game, instead of doing what they claim to be doing and accurately balancing it

Sure. And the farmer becomes a zombie and will kill you. You are right.

You know that many knights had spare horses with them for battle? Many charges ended in horses slipping on blood and weapons lying on ground and breaking their legs. Frontal charges were mostly used as psychological weapon causing the footmen to run out of fear. Most charges were done from flanks or behind exploiting hammer&anvil tactic and they still ended with loosing horses due to leg injuries.

You know that many knights had spare horses with them for battle? Many charges ended in horses slipping on blood and weapons lying on ground and breaking their legs. Frontal charges were mostly used as psychological weapon causing the footmen to run out of fear. Most charges were done from flanks or behind exploiting hammer&anvil tactic and they still ended with loosing horses due to leg injuries.

Sorry you are right. But we talk about 10-20 farmers and not a charge against a formation.

Solution is kinda obvious

"Brace mod" for any spearman. You hold X button and go brace mod. If cavalry charge you - he got couch lance damage.

Sorry you are right. But we talk about 10-20 farmers and not a charge against a formation.

I know, I know just got carried away by the talk about how frontal charges will destroy anything xD

Edit:
It's a game so not all factors can be included but they still need to.do.something to make the fights challenging.

[

Nobody even said that. We're talking about guys in no armour holding flimsy farming tools.

Yes but talking that horsemen can ride into a mob with pointy, medium length sticks without casualties is close to that. I agree that 20 looters shouldn't annihilate 20 cavaly. It's just that 1-2 dead or wounded riders in this case isn't exaggerated.

20 full plate knights against 20 peasants. I dont think they would lose a single guy. - we really are talking about the most extreme case of medieval technology and training against people with basically nothing here.

20 light cavalry against 20 militia, yeah i expect losses both sides.

lances are longer and stronger than pitchforks, in a full charge, even with pitchforks braced by cold blooded peasants, they would still perish quickly. in reality, peasants and looters would break and yield. in this game, they stand around waiting for your knights to trample over them. i honestly don't experience pitchfork stoppages, my cavalry breaks through and comes around to destroy them on the second pass usually.

I made a mod about that. Originally the idea was to simply disable "rear ups" because I thought it was silly to see a horse going at 60+ km/h stopping like that, but people wanted a way to make them occur less often or in different conditions instead, so I added a few options. There's also reflected charge damage, if you're into that.
Maybe it's not what you want but feel free to try it: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/548

idk why people just want steamroll heavy cav like in warband, the cav ai could use some improvements but thats about it (it should make them far more effective)

idk why people just want steamroll heavy cav like in warband, the cav ai could use some improvements but thats about it (it should make them far more effective)
Well it's "mount" and blade.
But personally I just want something fair. Give infantry proper formation against cavalry. But a peasant stopping a horse with a wooden stick? Hell naw.

20 full plate knights against 20 peasants. I dont think they would lose a single guy. - we really are talking about the most extreme case of medieval technology and training against people with basically nothing here.

20 light cavalry against 20 militia, yeah i expect losses both sides.
Agreed, knights should easily crush a rabble of peasants. Pitch forks braced to receive a charge would extend maybe only 1 metre towards the knights armed with lances three times the length.

In history, battles like that of the golden spurs weren’t always the ‘poorly armed peasant vs knight’ that they are made out to be. The Flemish militia at the golden spurs were well armoured, armed with pikes, supported by crossbowmen and had the advantage of a marshy terrain.

Back
Top Bottom