Filming The Hobbit has begun.

Users who are viewing this thread

What I got from the style of the Elvish armies throughout the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies was that they were armies which had essentially infinite time to hone and refine the art of war, and thus were so ridiculously precise and well-drilled. I never found it too disconcerting, if anything it reinforced the fact that they weren't just humans with pointy ears.

For the other forces, though, it didn't make as much sense to me.

Still haven't seen the last Hobbit movie! Lord of the Rings was a huge thing for me growing up. God, how could it go so far? I was slightly optimistic before the first movie.
:cry:

Vieira said:
Jacob, those weren't real people. Calm down. Take a breather.  :razz:

Vermillion_Hawk said:
What I got from the style of the Elvish armies throughout the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies was that they were armies which had essentially infinite time to hone and refine the art of war, and thus were so ridiculously precise and well-drilled. I never found it too disconcerting, if anything it reinforced the fact that they weren't just humans with pointy ears.

That scene doesn't do anything to make me root for the elves, though.

Am I the only one who thought the number of elves grew every time they were in a group shot?

Plus, this was brought up in the book club I'm part of, but wood elves don't seem to fit the whole disciplined thing very well. Thranduil's personal bodyguard should definitely be all armoured up but I always thought that the wood elves in that battle should be no more armoured than they were in the spider sequence.

Jec94227 said:
Am I the only one who thought the number of elves grew every time they were in a group shot?

Plus, this was brought up in the book club I'm part of, but wood elves don't seem to fit the whole disciplined thing very well. Thranduil's personal bodyguard should definitely be all armoured up but I always thought that the wood elves in that battle should be no more armoured than they were in the spider sequence.

Definitely if they were going for accuracy to the world, but I suspect Jackson just wanted to recycle the aesthetics of previously-depicted Elven armies for convenience's sake.

Jec94227 said:

Yup. I always thought Noldor were the ones who'd precision march into battle in fancy pancy parade armours. Wood elves should be little more than guerilla hippies in my opinion.

Okay, I know I'm super late to the party, but I just watched this. You guys already covered most of it, but I mean, it was just so ridiculous.
It doesn't help that I went back and re-read the Hobbit in preparation for hating the movie  :razz:

Watched the BotFA, had fun, the one thing I didn't really like is how a bunch of half naked peasants can stop a wave of heavily armored Uruks, but the little orcs could tear through the heavily armored Gondorian soldiers.

Bobtheheros said:
Watched the BotFA, had fun, the one thing I didn't really like is how a bunch of half naked peasants can stop a wave of heavily armored Uruks, but the little orcs could tear through the heavily armored Gondorian soldiers.
Movie logic, I guess.

Lumos said:
Is the extended version of that out yet? That could possibly explain what happened with the Shai-Hulud, and how much $Middle-Earth the Spacing Guild required in order to transport them over.

Bilbo's the bloody Kwisatz Haderach. He doesn't need to pay them anything.

I was a late comer to all of the Dune content. It just made me even more sad that that was it, nothing else to see.

Anyway, I came here to ask, Llandy, have you gotten any more roles? I figured after your big parts in this series, you might get some more opportunities!

Docm30 said:
Lumos said:
Is the extended version of that out yet? That could possibly explain what happened with the Shai-Hulud, and how much $Middle-Earth the Spacing Guild required in order to transport them over.
Oh, God! Now it makes sense!
- Sting is a long knife, right? It's probably made of crystal, it's a crysknife!
- Also, Sting? Perhaps the Sting also known as "Feyd-Rautha"?
- The One Ring is Sauron's Gom Jabbar. Proved by Frodo yelling in pain whilst trying to take it off at one point during one of the LotR films.
- Which leads us to believe that Lobelia Sackville-Baggins is actually Great Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam of the Bene Gesserit. And this one I didn't expect...

Docm30 said:
Lumos said:

Every time I see that name, I have to struggle not to laugh... In hebrew, Kwisazt Haderach means "Shortening of the way"

That's exactly the point of the name in "Dune" too. The Shortening of the Way, the man who would access the male-specific force (don't remember what it was called) that was otherwise impervious to the Bene Gesserit, and that would ascend to the Throne of the Empire and strengthen the positions of the Bene Gesserit even further.

Back
Top Bottom