Filming The Hobbit has begun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Far be it for me to exonerate the movie, but I will say that some of his issues with the lore seemed more like misunderstandings on his part. I don't think he's very well-read on the Middle-Earth universe.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
I don't think he's very well-read on the Middle-Earth universe.
He probably is... but you know, the CinemaSins motto for adaptations is "The books do not matter". I can see why, as an adaptation should be well-founded even without any background in the specific universe, but still...
At any rate, I don't mind it. That gets me longer Sins videos, and I get to hear the *ding* more often. :grin:

I watched BOTFA on the plane. I spent the first hour getting angrier and angrier. Nothing prepared me for how insanely stupid this film was, and I read practically every review you guys posted here. The pacing was terrible, the tone was spastic, the dichotomy of the jackson/tolkien dialogue was so bad it honestly gave me diarrhea and I had to take a mid-air toilet break, and even on the tiny screen with sun glare and youtube-level resolution, the special effects were awful.

But about half way through, I started laughing. I can't remember what at, but the rest of the film was actually really entertaining once I finally managed to switch my brain off.

If you treat BOTFA as a parody of fantasy films as a whole, it's probably a much better film.

I really liked the fx and the tone and mood for the first 15 minutes until Smaug dies. *spoiler alert*

I mean, if they did the bard bit slightly better (ie got rid of his homemade ballista) then it would have been glorious.

Also if they had paced it so that plot was resolved last film.

The rest I don't like to remember.

Vieira said:
I really liked the fx and the tone and mood for the first 15 minutes until Smaug dies. *spoiler alert*

There was silly stuff inbetween that ruined it though. The cartoon villain dumbness with Stephen "straight outta actin' school" Fry and poor man's wormtongue killed that whole scene.
Speaking of which, fake wormtongue was really close to being my favourite character, because I was expecting him to have some kind of arc, and showing Bard "heroic ******* of Dale" bowman a thing or two. Turns out he didn't. The end.

Oh, and Spoiler alert.

:lol:

I forgot about those parts too. I mean, I didn't mind Stephen Fry trying to escape the place, to be honest. I did mind Bard escaping the cell the way he did though. Ugh. I prefer to ignore Poor Man's Wormtongue from the film, considering he got more screen time than Bilbo. It felt that way at least.

Speaking of character arcs: was there one?

Back
Top Bottom