Economy - everything's so cheap..

Users who are viewing this thread

KidKiedis

Recruit
I understand that it's beta and most likely current economy model is fit for testing meanings. But anyway thought that someone should mention all that.

Well. I'am on my first playthrough, so it's just what I've noticed so far:

• Income is too high even if you run a gang of recruits. In a while I've lost count on how much money do I get. I have 60-70 thousand coins, so quest are needed only to increase your reputation. You just don't care about coins and buy supplies for whatever traders ask for it just to keep high morale bonus
  • Castle facilities upkeep and building costs are absent. Looks like it's only temporary to test all the facilities, but builders are just working for nothing. It's just a great way to ease player's purse. And building Gardens in 2 days is sooo incredibly fast. It should be at least a week.
  • Rewards for defeating other lords are incredibly high and my money jumped from 60 to 80 thousands just after one big battle with 2-3 prisoners taken and those prisoners were ransomed for another solid sum
  • Party wages are too low for both units in my party and other armies of a clan. Creating a party of 20 men doesn't cost anything so I can spam them as many as I want. 2 at a time, but it's just a click of a button. Maybe it's a part of other problems but money just keep coming and I just don't know where to spend them.
  • Quest rewards seem ok, but still need some balancing. I get a "trouble makers" quest from one lord in a room/keep, make two steps and with my 3 Charisma and only 20/300 Charm I sell them to other lord for 6000!
  • No army upkeep for horses and I just stack 200 pulfreys to have a speed boost and unlimited cargo capacity. Adding horses upkeep seems reasonable. Same for mounted units. Looks like they should be more expensive.
  • No villages upkeep and upgrading costs which might take another solid part of my income. Villages are all by themselves now, so lord can't build a church, another field or something else.. seems like they're pretty independent and even quests can't help to increase their prosperity. I miss those times when building some tavern costed you like 30000 and took a month
  • to be continued.. =)
I'll try to update all that with some suggestions maybe, but I guess devs know all that and it's just because of EA.

The game is great! BTW I've spent about 500 bucks to play Bannerlord. Had to update my rig. =)

Last edited:
Dude, whole point of owning a fief is the income it brings. Paying for the privilege of owning a fief would be ridiculous.

I am all for upgrading/spending gold on villages. If I remember correctly, in Warband you could build wells, defenses and whatnot to upgrade the village, but even that is done for a higher income. (as an investment)

Party wages can get ridiculously high as it is. Unless your army consists of recruits it is bound to cost more than you make. It needs some balance but no need to make it any worse.

• Income is too high even if you run a gang of recruits. In a while I've lost count on how much money do I get. 60-70 thousand, so quest are needed only to increase your reputation. You just don't care about coins and buy supplies for whatever traders ask for it just to keep high morale bonus
an income of 60-70 thousand? are you still playing on the unpatched version? they fixed workshops so that they would not give this much income anymore, there are a few people reporting certain workshops with huge income (like the woodworkshop) but those are mostly bugs.

• Rewards for defeating other lords are incredibly high and my money jumped from 60 to 80 thousands just after one big battle with 2-3 prisoners taken and those prisoners were ransomed for another solid sum
Agreed, they should not give you so much money for it, i mean you already get money for ransoming people and selling the loot so....

• Party wages are too low for both units in my party and other armies of a clan. Creating a party of 20 men doesn't cost anything so I can spam them as many as I want. 2 at a time, but it's just a click of a button. Maybe it's a part of other problems but money just keep coming and I just don't know where to spend them.
a t1 only costs 1 gold, a t6 costs 10 gold, get 20 t6 men and it will cost you 200 gold.
now try to maintain a garrison in 3 castles of 100-150 good men, i have had costs of 500-700 per garrison. (i took over battania, since you can get attacked from every side you need a propper garrison in every place)
now try to feed an army of 200 men, this will cost you a lot aswell.

• Castle facilities upkeep and building costs are absent. Looks like it's only temporary to test all the facilities, but builders are just working for nothing. It's just a great way to ease player's purse. And building Gardens in 2 days is sooo incredibly fast. It should be at least a week.
  • No villages upkeep and upgrading costs which might take another solid part of my income. Villages are all by themselves now, so lord can't build a church, another field or something else.. seems like they're pretty independent and even quests can't help to increase their prosperity. I miss those times when building some tavern costed you like 30000 and took a month
Villagages usually payed taxes, this is were lords got income from, sure there was upkeep but the income outweighs the upkeep, no need to actually add this in the game. Castles did cost a lot more to maintain but they had villages around it aswell, including tradesmen who paid taxes inside the wall, still i could see a point being made for adding upkeep for castles
  • No army upkeep for horses and I just stack 200 pulfreys to have a speed boost and unlimited cargo capacity. Adding horses upkeep seems reasonable. Same for mounted units. Looks like they should be more expensive.
it is not represented in the game but i just immagine horses grazing, there is another topic on the forum about if horses should costs you food though.

Religion... now there's an idea.

*need to crusade intensifies*
how did we get to religion? are you sure this is the right tread?

Edit: the link to the horses needing food tread is here

When they add expert weaponsmith/armorers where you can spend 500k on a helmet (like in Fire and Sword), you'll always be broke :smile:

Sounds like someone abused a well known workshop glitch, and now has more money than sense!
What's the reason to make a post about economy if you use exploits?
No, it's just not an income. I had 50 thousand coins when I starter this thread. Now it's 114k after another campaign against Khuzaits (3 battles).
I don't use any exploits and I leave most of my loot.

I just got nowhere to spend them. So there's no reason to make quests an less reason to do anything. Now it's just battles and upgrading units.

What's the reason to make a post about economy if you use exploits?
No, it's just not an income. I had 50 thousand coins when I wrote this post. Now it's 114k after another campaign against Khuzaits (3 battles).
I don't use any exploits and I leave most of my loot.

I just got nowhere to spend them.
buy some high tier armor for yourself and your companions, build a propper army, get some good garrisons and you will have much less money
  • Income is too high even if you run a gang of recruits. In a while I've lost count on how much money do I get. 60-70 thousand, so quest are needed only to increase your reputation. You just don't care about coins and buy supplies for whatever traders ask for it just to keep high morale bonus
listing the 60-70 thousand under "income is to high" is what makes people think you use exploits. what you are saying in that post is that you had 60-70 thousand income, now you are saying it is not income but your total amount of money. that is a huge difference.

When you take over a castle, then pay the other guy 45k+ items to not kill you. so your Broke.. and you think I need to pay more just to keep going?
Are you part of a faction or creating your own? I am making my own.

a t1 only costs 1 gold, a t6 costs 10 gold, get 20 t6 men and it will cost you 200 gold.
I have a fully upgraded castle since it takes only one day to build a facility. Garrison has 99 tier 5-6 units stacked in case of some campaign. I have 5/6 campanions fully equiped. Sure I can hunt for tier 5-6 items but does that looks like a decent economy?

In Warbands I played Clash Of Kings mostly and it was quite a quest to get enough money to buy high tier plate armour or horse or build some townhall. Now I just don't see where money are coming from (50k in 2 weeks), while some aspects I've mentioned (buildings, horses..) are just free and getting build in a day.

I still have a goals, sure. Upgrade leadership to 75 or 100 and make Drozhina cavalry squad out of those sea cheafs, marry king's daughter and all that. But in Warband constant need for money (not just ok it's just 50k out of nowhere) was a huge gameplay aspect. That's what I mean.

Are you part of a faction or creating your own? I am making my own.
No, I've joined Nothern Empire. I'll try my own kingdom on next playthough. Thanks!

I've payed for my freedom a couple of times. And thanks for reminding that you also don't lose any money or items in case of being captured =)

Possibly devs were afraid of making it too hardcore. So small wages, no buildings upkeep, free building in a day, no money losses on defeat, infinite horses to neglect speed penalty. Hope I'am wrong with all this and it's just EA.

listing the 60-70 thousand under "income is to high" is what makes people think you use exploits
oh fixed that, thanks!

Last edited:
Guys, really.. =)) You don't loose money or equipment if you got beaten in battle. That's what Im talking about.
I really hope it's just because of Early Access..

So when you lose a Battle you lose some coin but that begs the question -where is all your money if you dont own a Castle yet? A world Bank? Maybe they should introduce a bank capitol with HUGE defences like Game of Thrones. And your money should exist in a physical place that can be lost/stolen. Its true, as is even if im defeated and made prisoner i never worry about money. Everything should have stakes or people lose interest.

Also if i had to keep my money in a castle, and an enemy lord got wind there was a lot of cash there....good intrigue there

I agree only with the rewards from beating a lord's party, those are insane, i think i made about 1,5 mil only kicking noble asses all around with a good army (99-124 tier 4 minimum army, something like 1300 to pay a day) and selling the loot, it's just too convienent, you can easily take 50-60k just for defeating 2 or 3 lords, and if you use a bit of strategy in battle, you don't even have too many losses, something like 5 deaths if you get unlucky.

I agree only with the rewards from beating a lord's party, those are insane
I'm not sure, but it seems that you even don't have to kill anyone to get that much.
I'am not a great fighter and play on realistic, so pretty often I get my ass kicked right as soon as fighting begins.

A crossbow costs 45k. People have said theres armor between 60k-600k. To bribe someone not to attack you can costs tens of thousands of gold as well. If you are content with your gear and never leave your fief, yeah having 60-80k in the bank is cool but if you want better **** or to expand your kingdom you gonna need way more than 80k. Although I do agree fief upgrades should cost money its kinda weird that they dont.

Back
Top Bottom