Do people like Smithing as a concept

Do you like smithing as a concept

• Yes I think it's a good natural addition that adds something missing to the game

Votes: 40 22.3%
  • No it is a grindy and unbalanced gimic that doesn't fit with the rest of the game

Votes: 40 22.3%
  • Indifferent because I never use it/don't care

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • Think it could work, but needs adjusting (in which case I'd be interested in your thoughts on how)

Votes: 75 41.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Skill level doesn't effect what you can craft. It only affects the final quality, but If you're lucky enough to unlock a powerful component early on, you can start making super-expensive weapons right away. 2H swords, 2H polearms and javelins are the best money makers and a good one can give you a ton of smithing xp each time so your skill shoots up very fast. Out of all the skills, Smithing's the easiest one to max out by far.

this means if I unlock (and I already have^^) some tier 5 parts I can craft an item far behind my skills and get a lot of xp even if the quality is absolutely poor?

this means if I unlock (and I already have^^) some tier 5 parts I can craft an item far behind my skills and get a lot of xp even if the quality is absolutely poor?
Not even tier 5, because most of them cost ridiculous amounts of Thamskene. You can make tier 4 using Steel and Fine steel that are in excess of 60k denar in value. The downside is that it becomes a printing press and you find your works in all the shops.

Not even tier 5, because most of them cost ridiculous amounts of Thamskene. You can make tier 4 using Steel and Fine steel that are in excess of 60k denar in value. The downside is that it becomes a printing press and you find your works in all the shops.

hmm to be honest I'm more out for the skillpoints than the Denars ^^ but thx anyway for that advice

hmm to be honest I'm more out for the skillpoints than the Denars ^^ but thx anyway for that advice
It is the same concept with the xp. Once you get a full 2H of at least tier 3, you will be making several levels of smithing xp per forging until the mid 100's. Then it slows down to maybe one or two levels per forge. You will also be unlocking several components per forging. I think it was like 5 or 6 every time for quite a while.

I love the overall concept of smithing my own weapons, maybe even ones, that you can't otherwise find in towns, but the current execution is way too simplistic and grindy and I refuse to believe it is what the devs intended to be the final product. Random learning of weapon parts is just nonsensical and the amount of wood you have to buy just to level up your smithing to 275 is ridiculous.
Maybe have me talk to the smiths of calradia to learn new designs of my choosing for a fee, make me spend some time learning them. Have a town in each faction, where the master smith resides, so if I want to get the best weapon parts for that faction weapons, I have to learn from him. Leveling up could be faster while using new weapon parts and maybe under supervision of the smith (again would cost money). And for gods sake please let go of needing to bring your own charcoal to a smithy I will gladly pay the smith for his time and charcoal, that he is buying for himself anyway. Nerf smelting down weapons and rework refining of iron. Smithing could be so much fun and should definitely have a place in bannerlord, some depth and realism is all it needs and it should make a great feature.

to prevent the flood of your weapons everywhere, you go for example to ucs hall, take the wood from nearby village, and keep crafting and smelting until you really make something really expensive.

When I got 18 skills, I made a 218 or something difficulty 2H very long 135 length, 1,6 weight, damage 121 and speed something like 92.
I used the longest blade, I also used the longest handle T4 1/2H, put down the weight on the T5 pommel, also T5 crossguard to 1/5 size where it gave the best numbers. As I wrote before, you really do not to keep selling all the crafted weapons, before it takes time to make the materials, if you dont buy T5/6 swords from the shop.

The longest blade, good enough cut C modifier, not too light, handle light and long is what I generally do and it tends to gravitate toward very good exp gain.
If you start running short on funds for some reason, you can sell something, or if you see something good in a shop then you make such a weapon.

you could get even stuff like -5 stats all over the place when difficulty is too high, but its worth it especially when you smelt, because you make very expensive weapon even after 'nerfs'.You skill up very fast and the quality of the same weapon will gradually increase to not be so bad to just -2 here and there until you reach difficulty.

i like it as a concept but i never find it a good use of time. if anything it seems like an okay early game means of smelting cheap stuff for raw materials to sell. but grinding low level gear to get to the high level gear isn't very fun and i don't have a good idea of what actions to take in order to build up to being able to forge good weapons. perhaps making a Smith companion be able to work in a smithy you own could produce the highest level gear for you? kind of like using the Smith companions like the Swift companions to run your caravans but only for your workshops. and they can level up their smithing and get to a point where they produce top level gear for you and your field companions.

It reminds me of Skyrim where you constantly smith daggers to level the smithing skill, enchant said daggers for the enchanting skill and sell them at a huge profit for the speech skill, you use the profit to buy more crafting material and soul stones at the same time you do the soul trap on a dead animal (or you rush for the bound sword/bow and cast sheathe that, cast that sheathe etc... over and over and over) and you google where to quickly find spells you want for your roleplay so that you can start on your actual skyrim questlines that you'd like to do, already pretty powerful and geared for maximum roleplay fun.

You don't do this the first 2 times you play but then after watching some youtube videos about cool builds and roleplay you do the boring annoying grind to be able to play a certain character you have in your head.

The same applies to bannerlord

Just trying the smithing for the first time, after playing the game 180 hours+, I think that smithing is awesome! but only while using mods.

Currently using the bannerlord tweaks mod and gave the smithing stamina off, and also I have all skills jacked to 5x experience. so without all the dumb grindy bits that vanilla imposes on the player. the smithing is super fun and creative. I enjoy setting out and getting war loot that i can smelt and turn into some fun customized weapons formy companions and I.

armor pieces would be fantastic to smith too, so hopefully they add that in. the smithing thing should be expanded on entirely for more fun options.

As a concept I love crafting a legendary weapon or having my elite smith allies craft a legendary weapon with like 6 bonus points and a set of parts that look just how I want and then giving it a custom name and then taking it into battle.

The smithing endurance system feels weird because you manually wait after you smith so it's unintuitive and at first I thought just having time pass when I smith would be nice, but whatever system replaces it would need to account for a way for me and my 2 allies all to smith.

It's skill gain formula tied to prices is wonky and leads to a lot of weirdness like charcoal being the best skill gain until you learn some decent 2h swords or win the javelin part lotto.

The prices themselves are really wonky. Javelins costing more then all the money contained in cities. Which parts are in which tier is also a bit weird. Some parts are obviously better then higher tier parts. Also the higher end metals are impossible to buy. you can only buy the raw ore. This is dumb. I shouldn't have to have someone in my party crafting all my high end steel because there should be a market for these things.

Also the amount of weapons you can make from the wood and ore contained in the world at one time is completely out of sync with the number of arms units in the world. It's confusing.

Unlocking parts has no control or pattern I can find and is a completely roll of the dice. If you as a character specialize in the use of javelins, swords, or polearms there should be a way to learn to craft the parts that your character would specifically use. It's what they would focus their study on.

I like the concept of smithing but I think it has a lot of problems to... iron out.

In Viking Conquest you took broken weapons to the Smith and could get them repaired or you got a broken one in combat and could get it repaired for a little cheaper than buying a new one. So I think there is a place for Smithing but as it is, the rest limitations prohibit me from completing anything before I forget what I was doing.

They have to imrove it, by adding what is already added by Bannerlord Tweaks to the base game, to be exact:
1. Stamina regenerates even if you move on the map.(Saves time.)
2. Parts of any weapon, unlock automatically when you smelt it. (Saves time, interesting concept.)
3. Improve XP gain.(Save times, makes it less grindy)

Additional changes needed(which pitifully, are not even in the mod yet):
1. Stamina pool increases with levelling of the crafting perk. (another time saver)
2. Player cannot sell crafted weapons(but can be smelted back to receive full refund, but no XP gain, to avoid exploits)

Indirect Improvements.
1. Press F to smelt, refine, forge. Bulk smelt, refine. (great QoL addition, already implemented in the FastLoot mod, which is so great, that should be entirely added to the base game.)
2. Remove stupid, non-related perks like "increase control" or "two-handed weapons". Add something related instead, like "unique crafting recipe" or "a 50% chance to not consume stamina" or add your own perk here.

If all of these conditions met, you can add crafting of any items in the game, and it will stay balanced. Not grindy, and not OP at the same time.

Smithing is not a part of the RPG experience for me. I am not roleplaying that I am a craftsman or anything. Smithing is more like a slot machine where I keep using my materials to create junk while waiting for the components I want to unlock.

I am not getting anything I can use from smithing. I mostly get better stuff from looting. Maybe if I started smithing in the early game I would be using the weapons I make—but in the early game I mostly have to sell looted items.

I get the stamina thing as a way to control overuse, but this would only make sense if I was able to make anything useful with smithing.

I would enjoy smithing more if it allowed me to improve or enhance my existing weapons, or just to make aesthetic changes like switching a hilt out.

I've tried it and it is far too much of a grind for any decent payout. I like the suggestion that followers or a blacksmith in a town could do this, it would be a nice reward for uprading your castle or city.

I don't like the idea of personally being a smith. Maybe I'm being a jerk but I don't see a ruler (even a potential one) smithing their own stuff. Or maybe at first they do, but at some point, a leader has to focus on being a leader not also being a smith or a surgeon or whatever.

I enjoy crafting in many games and I think it does add some level of immersion to people that roleplay life outside of just combat or politics. I would love to see more crafting in terms of armor and fletching arrows and bows. It would also be pretty awesome to see troops you could customize and train in a city that has the proper level of training ground or something.

In my current playthrough I'm making a sturgian 2h warrior/smith. At char level 10 I have barely done any fighting, my weapon skills are barely at 40 and I had smithing skill over 200. This got me producing tier6 weapons that are better then anything else in the game.
I use other companions to refine coal / smelt for me, I abuse the system to sell overpriced javelins, and smelt southern flying daggers to get fine steel. I am not proud of this. If I have the recipe smithing is fun, but the unlock system is just plain bad.

No, I don't like it and would be glad they had not introduced such a feature at all, as it makes modding weapons more difficult. I ignore it and will ignore it. Seems strange to me that someone who roams around putting his spear through other's guts or someone who manages a barony would become a master of making pieces of steel, too.

On the other hand, now that they have implemented it they should also make it interesting and non-grindy for the smithing enthusiasts.

I like the idea, but there are two things missing:

1) Armor Smithing.

2) Bow/Crossbow-Crafting and Ammunition creation.

3) As the system is now, there isn't really an incentive for me to use the Smithing System. In theory, I could make weapons (and hopefully sometime armor) for myself, that I can't buy in a particular town, however, the reality is, that there is tons of equipment available in towns. If I don't get that top notch e.g. Battanian Ranger and Noble Equipment in a town but I find another, cheaper piece of armor, 2nd grade top notch, that is an improvement, I just buy that or/and travel to another town and try my luck there.
The same of cause is true for weapons.
There isn't really a need to use Smithing at all. There are imho ways to improve this:

-Make Equipment harder to get in towns of factions, atleast when they're at war (since then you get the explanation, that most of the equipment is bought by the armies at war).

-I know that, atleast to the description of certain smithing perks, that there are "legendary" weapons. I never used Smithing to a degree, that I ever came close to leveling smithing past the first perk and thus I never saw these legendary weapons. Are we talking about a difference like that a "legendary" sword has a stat increase of +1 to everything? That wouldn't be really "legendary", if it would be +10 to everything, that may be more warranted to call it "legendary". Give players the idea, that legendary weapons, at some point armor and bows/crossbows, are worth pursuing, worth the grind of going through all the smithing.

-Make us able to choose, what part we want to unlock next, I guess no blacksmith, who wanted/wants to improve his smithing skills, would rely solely on flashes of inspiration, they would train themselves to make a certain part better and better.
This mustn't exclude the whole "flash of inspiration"-RNG-System at all, it can be coupled. Let us choose, what part we want to research and if we finish the research by crafting items of that category, there may be a (lower as now) chance to additionally unlock a random part.

-If equipment is "legendary", it ought to be inherited through dynasties. However, as I've seen in videos, when your character dies of old age (only way to die as of now except getting executed), you get a list of characters from which you can select one to play with and then you start totally anew. Imho the equipment carried by the dead character before you, if he didn't die in battle that is, should be fully transferred to the heirs, for you as player with an heir as character being able to select from a few of the items, the others going to other heirs. If the character dies in battle, it is plausible, that soldiers looted the corpse and that some of the items carried are lost to the heirs, even legendary items.
That even could be coupled with inheritance laws (comparable to those of the Crusader Kings-Franchise).

-Equipment created by smiths ought to be worth something, as of now you'll regulary see that the ingredients you bought were worth more in their raw state than their manufacted state, when you used them to make weapons. This would turn smithing into a reliable income source, coupled with perks like "Appraiser" from the Trader Tree it would make perks related to increasing sell prices of equipment actually worthwhile (In general some perks are so utterly unattractive - e.g. +5 Security vs. Disciplinarian ability to convert bandits to regular and noble troops - that you'd never ever pick these).

-If you gift something very valuable to lords, e.g. an atleast high-tier piece of armor or a huge sum of gold etc, you should get a relation ship improvement with these lords and their clans. This would make Smithing usable to atleast a degree in diplomatic affairs.

-There isn't THE art of smithing. IRL Japanese Smiths did things differently than western european Smiths (hence Katanas weren't really a thing in Europe).
This should be reflected in the game, that, additionally to categories like "Two-Handed Swords" these categories in themselves are divided into different "cultures", so you wouldn't find sabers, that are more typical for the Aserai, in the Vlandia Section.
You're character has by standard unlocked the smithing culture of his own culture, so if you start as Vlandian, you know the very low basics of making Vlandian Equipment and at some point you should be able to research other cultures and thus be able to unlock their equipment.
This could be even be useful in trading. No one would bat an eye about a saber in Quyaz. In Varcheg on the other hand? Pretty exotic, it should fetch higher prices there.
How in detail these other cultures are unlocked, I leave that to the imagination of the devs, I could imagine myself a system via quests unlocked from a certain smithing skill onward, so if you enter e.g. a vlandian city as battanian character and talk with the black smith in that town (would give an incentive to walk in the streets more too), he could give you a starting quest for a quest chain to research or unlock the Vlandian Category.
It could be something simple like "I'm an old smith, I need a helping hand and I got knowledge, make me 30 swords and I teach you the basics of <Insert Cultural Adjective> Smithing" or it could be something more elaborate, like having to smelt a certain number of items, e.g. 20 pieces of mountain bandit equipment (whatever that may be), having to talk with a certain smithing master renowned in that cultural area, doing tasks like that the smith's daughter was kidnapped by bandits and is in a bandit lair and so on.
Or as simple like that you select the culture to unlock and just have to do more smithing to unlock it than for "regular" parts of your own culture to unlock it.

Or a combination of both, an "In-UI"-System to unlock cultures, but doing the quests may be more worthwile or faster.

This is a spontanious list of ideas I came up with to improve smithing.

Back
Top Bottom