[DISCUSSION] Tales of Pendor (V3.7)

Users who are viewing this thread

And fire came down from the heaven

The warlords, gathered at the top of a small hill, watched the town. It was still too early and the light was weak.
“We have no idea now many demons will join the fight.” Wolfbode spoke first. “My people barely began to recover from the last war and you already drag us into another. I saw the demons myself and I do believe, that they are real, but I`m not convinced that we can`t reason with them. Perhaps they are too few to threat us.”
The tribesman responds with tired voice with the same irritating expressionless face. Wolfbode wasn`t able to recall him to change his expression in any occasion.
“You aren`t chained here, warlord Bejatir. You and your people are free to stay or to leave at your leisure.”
The even voice, devoid from any feeling was enough to boil Wolfbode`s anger.
“And then you`ll retreat and then you`ll let them to invade my lands! I can see your plots, you stinking tribesman!”
The bodyguards around the tribesman tensed. Hands reached for the weapons. Rambulhwa waive at them to calm them.

“Perhaps. Perhaps not. No one knows what will happen even today, so your guess is as good as any. I`ll take my decision when it is necessary. If you have better idea than fight them here with all of our strength and to repel them from Pendor I`ll listen to you carefully. But don`t forget that only two of their armies, and mainly consisted from humans, were enough to disperse Valdis`s main army and to take the Fiersdvain capitol. If you want to take your chances alone into your lands, just go on.”
Wolfbode wrinkles savagely, but he was smart enough not to fight against the obvious truth into his opponent`s words. The tribesman continue.

“All warlords here came not by my command, but because each one of them alone decides to came. I have no power over them. D`Shar Khans came, for they know me as a man of my word. Syla Usas came, for he knows that the strength lies in our number, when we face an overwhelming adversary. Bejatir came, for he knows that his people are the most vulnerable, due to lack of serious training and equipment. K`Juda came, for he is always up for a good battle. My companions, who now rule the former Sarleon towns came, for our long friendship and they trust my judgement to choose well my battles. The Noldor came, for they knows that they can`t hide from flying enemies and when the demons finish with us, it is their turn. The Snakes …”
The warlord look at them for a moment and then spoke right to Wolfbode.
“… came for our love. Something that you misunderstood completely, Bejatir.”
Wolfbode`s face froze. Many men would have stop because of the sheer threat, emanating from his entire being. Yet the smaller tribesman continue.

“And because of that, you lost your wife.”
“I lost my son and you dare to …” Wolfbode squeezes through his teeth.
“Your son doesn`t matter Bejatir.” Rambulhwa spoke with voice, heavy with despise. “You lost your wife because you don`t value your wife. A man who doesn`t put his wives in front of everything else deserve to lost them. A man who takes a wife only to have a child is lower than a worm`s shadow. Be grateful, that she did not kill you in your sleep for such humiliation.”
K`Juda clears his throat.
“The enemy will come to us soon. Who will lead the army?”
Rambulhwa look at each of them one by one. Savage, strong, skilled with weapons and tactics alike, they were the best in Pendor and they knew it.

“The enemy had the time to spy on us for a long time. We are famous and strong, our names are known trough the lands far and wide. Even a half-brain will take it into consideration. They have a lot of humans into their ranks and I expect that they will know our strength and weakness both. But there is a place, untouchable even for the most skilled spy.”
Ithilrandir step forward.
“So it can be only me.”
“Yes. No one could expect a Noldor to lead our combined host. They may know us, but surely they don`t know you. It will surprise them for sure. Maybe enough to have a chance against them.”
“What about you?”
“My warriors will follow me even if I ride against the gods themselves. And for that … I must be in front of them. I will lead the attack.”

“Very well.” Ithilrandir wasn`t sure how to accept that but concentrate over the battlefield. “The land is hard and dry, it will be good for heavy cavalry. The Order of Eventide joined forces with the demons so their cavalry will be the largest thread along with the Heretic Magni.”
Ser Alistair interfere.
“I can lure them to follow your cavalry. Just let them chase you long enough for a good distance from the battlefield and they will surrender. But do expect a visit from flying enemies at your command position.”
“I will keep that in mind.” Ithilrandir nod at him. “What about the enemy armies that follow us?”
“They will not interfere.” Rambulhwa spoke with unshakable confidence. “Everything is arranged. They will “stay in ambush” in the remaining of the forests north and north-east from Javiksholm. It will boost the enemy confidence to attack is.”
“What if they decide to hold the town?”
“Not enough food. Even their flying demons can not supply a town and two armies inside.”

“Fine then. The most suitable rout for them will be here …” Ithilrandir pointed at the map. “… and here. I will leave you my cavalry, ser Alistair, and I will keep a thousand archers with me. The rest will be behind the main force by blocks of a hundred each, so wherever the demons appear, there will be enough archers to shoot them from the sky. The main attack will be from north. We shall let the enemy cavalry to exit north-east. The D`Shar will follow Rambulhwa with the main attack. The enemy has real magic, so you must enter in close combat as soon as possible. Without any possibility for hidden reserves or surprise attack we must rely on quickness and sheer number to overwhelm them. Otherwise their magic may be enough to break our ranks. Rank your cavalry in ranks, not into your usual horde. So the fireballs will not kill that much warriors at once. Bejatir, K`Juda and Syla Uzaz will hold the right flank. The reserves …”

With the light of the morning sun came noise from thousands and thousands feet and the dry plain darkened from the incoming army. Thousands Bladesmen with spread between them Blademasters, the pride and the glory of the D`Shar Principalities walked in tight rows, followed from spearmen and flanked by Windriders and mounted Dervishes. Behind them came the mercenary infantry mixed with blocks of Noldor archers. The warlord came in front and raise his long weapon high.
"AFTER ME!"
The large drums began to beat for batlle. Horns loudly gave the signal: "Attack". The horde issued furious roar, dashing their weapons over their shields, bringing themselves to frenzy. From their place the first ranks could have see the long row of horned beasts, bigger than any horse, mounted from tall and also horned riders. Then the warlord race forward, his bodyguards at his heels, the companies from the center went after them. Kassim and Riva led the left and the right wings of the cavalry. Kaverra, Donavan and Sigismund led the infantry behind them.

Eyegrim the Devourer spreads his powerful wings and notice the enemy army arrangement. They didn`t even tried to cover their movements or to put some ambushes, which fills him with deep despise toward the lesser creatures of these lands. His armies were already on the field, waiting for his orders. He saw the signals from the hidden forces of the Three Seers and his agents at Nearga-Reun`s army and issued his battle cry.
Under him, the enemy centre – a whirlwind of savages dressed in leather and metal, screamed an unknown war cry and ride toward his forces.
“Good, good. Come to me, lesser creature! Come to meet me!” Eyegrim look at his Baatetsu, counting almost two hundreds, and nearly eight hundreds of Tenari, waiting for his orders. He shouted.
“FIRE!”

The mages amongst Baatetsu throw the first fireballs at the incoming savages. Magical fire swallow warriors and horses together, some continue to ride, embroiled in flames, until they fell dead. Against his expectations, the lesser creatures do not turn into a chaotic mob, nor did they run in panic. Their ranks continue to ride with full speed forward. He gave a new order. A firewall, at least forty meters long and five meters high, erupted amidst the enemy, killing everyone into it and nearby. The next ranks just splits left and ride and continue to ride against his forces. He gave third order and a huge flaming rock fell right from the sky over the horde. The impact was deafening, men and horses were torn apart, crushed and burned to dead. Pieces from still warm flesh and parts from weapons and armours flew around. The grass around burned too shortly before the next ranks to trample it over.
The mages began to deplete their internal reserves, but despite the numerous losses the enemy continues to ride forward, more and more warriors were sending after them, while the first ranks met his vanguard with deafening roar.

Rambulhwa manage to point his horse in the slight crack between two huge horned beasts, lower himself under the sabre, hold from one tall horned rider and swing his glaive back. The blade hit the Tenari warrior right under the lower end of his armor and sliced at his spine. He roars in pain, lost his balance and fell from his beast. Rambulhwa strike at the next one.
Over the hill, Ithilrandir saw that Rambulhwa manages to reach the enemy and gave orders. Lethaldiran gave signals to the standard-bearers. Horns roar the necessary command and Boadice Veccavia led her female knights in detour to strike at the enemy`s flank. She personaly trained them and even purchased armors for them from her homeland, after she was rewarded with the town of Sarleon for her merits. Ser Joselen Naimar led another cavalry force to hit the other flank. The Heretic minions came against them to protect their demonic masters’ flanks and hold their warriors into a bloody hand-to-hand combat. But when they were completely engaged in battle, Sara and ser Ralad Baluent led their warriors to flank them.
The demonic warriors were powerful and really skilled in battle. Corpses began to raise on piles at their way. Yet the same piles began to slow their advance, the huge beasts stumbled over the bodies and the advances nearly halt. After the cavalry came numerous infantry. By three-four infantrymen began to climb over every horned beasts, poking and slicing at every piece of flesh, not covered in armor. While many died in the attempt, another manages to dragged down some riders from their horses and cut into pieces on the ground.

The Heretic Worshippers were well equipped, but they weren`t especially skilled and they began to fell under the frenzied enemy horde. The infantry was pathetic, just as he expected, and Eyegrim promise to himself to sacrifice all survivors, looking the enemy cavalry tramples over them, shooting them at point blank distance with their short bows.
The black mass at the Heretic`s right flank began to ride against the two thousands from the Noldor cavalry. They took their short cavalry bows and rain of arrows fell upon the black armoured knights. But the well-crafted armours and the thick shield protect them well and they began to close them. The lances lower for attack. Suddenly, the cowardly pointy-ears lost their courage when the battle came close and personal. They turn their horses and run away from the main force, leading their human allies alone. Eyegrim forget about them for a moment and send fifty Baatetsu to kill the enemy commander, taking position at the top of a small hill, and led the rest to his left flank, where another mass of dirty savages began their advance.

The two-tons heavy horned beasts ridded from Tenari warriors continue to decimate the first enemy ranks but more and more continue to flood the battlefield. Although each of them kills no less that thirty enemies alone, their ranks began to dwindle under the constant attacks from fresh forces. The enemy not only didn`t run, but they even press forward and began to encircle them. Their support from infantry and cavalry were massacred, trampled and shoot down and only the unhuman strength and skill of the Tenari still hold the enemy on the battlefield. Thick columns of smoke disperse again the smell of burning flesh in result of the mage`s efforts, yet it wasn`t enough. From the height of his saddle, Amoralion saw tens of thousands infantry, coming at him while their cavalry continue to encircle them. On his right flank the mass of black armoured knights was gone chasing the enemy and none of them came back. He turn his gaze on the left where Eyegrim himself and his Baatetsu tears apart men and horses with savage joy, but he also saw that nearly half of them lied immobile, fenestrated with arrows and spears.

A shout from behind made him to turn back while the enemy bardice hit him in the face. The helmet bends inside and the blood blind him for a few moment. When he was able to see with his right eye he saw the new wave of enemies behind his Tenari, wearing green plate armours and riding black horses almost as large and heavy as his own. One of them throws a javelin at him with such strength that the blade pierces his armour and burrow slightly in his flesh. He turns his horse and shouts for retreat when another firewall erupted right next to him, killing both enemy and allies. His left side busted in flames too yet he manage to suppress the pain and roared for retreat. But it was too late.

On the north-east side of the battlefield ser Jael Kerdom led the knights of Eventide against the pointy-ears who flew like rabbits from their lances. After short chase, when it seems that he could reach the non-human filth any moment he notices that the enemy`s horses doesn`t give any sign of weariness, while his armoured steeds began to slow their gallop. He thought to cut off the chase but could he do it without danger to be hit in the back?
He order a halt and his men stopped their sweated warhorses. The non-human scum also halt to their places and a lone rider in pitch-black armour came closer, holding a standard.
“Who is the senior officer here?”
“It is me – Jael Kerdom, count of Tesem.” Strangely enough, the man`s voice sounds somewhat familiar.
“I thought that your voice is familiar to me, ser Jael.”
The enemy remove his horned helmet and Jael`s jaws dropped in surprise.
“Ser Alistair Aloniel?”

“The one and only!” The light-haired man against him smiles. “I see that you`ve got yourself a nice promotion in my absence. Congratulations!”
“I … thank you, ser. Long time no see. You`ve been away from us for a long time indeed.”
“The Grand Master is well informed for my actions from my regular reports.” Ser Alistair came closer. “I do expect a good explanation for your actions here, ser!”
Jael Kerdom lost his ability to speak for a moment of pure shock.
“But … but … but …”
“No “but”s! I serve directly to Qaggoth-Jeag herself, which means that I`m the senior Eventide officer here, and I do like to hear your explanation how our Order suddenly fell under the command of a lesser scion of the Benazi family!”
“Eh … I have my orders …”

“WHO`S orders are you follow? Qaggoth-Jeag`s ones or Benazi-Mreedvaardu`s?”
Jael suddenly began to swell under his armour. His voice came as a tensed whisper.
“Qaggoth-Jeag`s, of course, ser! I`ve never …”
“Then for fuc.`s sake why are you here? Do you wish so much to be sacrificed as a participant of an attempt for assassination of our Lady?”
“NO! No, I`ve never ever thought …”
“What happened then! Speak! I demand an explanation for your actions here!”
“I … ser, Eyegrim … I mean Mreedvaardu call the Grand Master into his chambers, and after that he fulfill his every order as if given from our Lady herself!”
“And you didn`t found that even a little bit suspicious? Not enough to request a confirmation from her? ARE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?”

“I …”
“Do you want to be executed at the moment, ser Jael!”
“NO!”
“For Erida`s sake, you are in deep troubles, ser! But you are my friend, so I think that we can settle this little problem together. For the old times and for our good friendship. What do you think?”
Jael Kerdom saw the tiny spark of hope into the dungeon of his troubled mind. If their Grand Master was under some spell and his actions were … questioned, he had not the slightest intention to be on the wrong side of the heated iron.
“I … I do think, that we can settle this … problem as old friends. Right?”
Ser Alistair pushes his horse closer and began to whisper something into his ear.

Eyegrim cut off the next horseman`s right arm with skilled slash of his sabre, kick the next horse, instantly breaking his front legs and sending the rider flying over the horse head. The next one got lucky and his spear hit Eyegrim`s thigh just above the knee. The spear tip found a place damaged a bit earlier from two-handed axe and along with the speed of the horse it was enough to pierce into his flesh. Eyegrim roars in fury and hit the rider with such strength that the upper part of his body flew aside, his arm still holding the weapon in dead grip. Another spear got him in the right wing, adding another hole into the already torn and bleeding leather. He turn back to kill the insolent creature just in time to see Shrakktaar-Alitor`s head falling from his shoulders after a strike with heavy sabre of a creature, riding a horse covered with armour. He looks around and command for attack with thunderous voice. The Baatetsu roared with him and pressed forward and then he finally realized how few of them still fighting. Amongst the piles of the lesser creature`s bodies less that seventy from his Baatetsu were still on their feet. Despite the thousands victims the small creatures of this land continue to fight with wild determination, cavalry archers shoot down Baatetsu from the sky where lancers finished them quickly, attacking them simultaneously from all sides.

Another rider wearing helmet covering his entire face throw himself forward and Eyegrim drag him from his saddle with sideward strike that spill his innards. The body fall almost at his feet and Eyegrim just overstep him while he felt sudden sharp pain at the backside of his left knee. A quick look down reveals that the gutted creature got him behind his left knee with his curved sabre. Eyegrim roars in fury and crushes the creature`s head with his boot. He spreads his wings and took height choosing the place for his next attack. Roar from tens of thousands roars follow his flight and he saw that all of his Baatetsu were completely surround from lesser creatures. New creatures, done in heavy grey-gold armours came on their help and all of them redouble their effort.

As per the request. A bit late though.

They walk into a corner of the camp where a dozen covered carts stood. Beside the carts, a knight in valkyrie stag armour with a Noldor infantry helm stood talking to a bunch of men. When Donavan came closer, the men stiffened and nodded where Leslie turned to him. Ralphin paused briefly on seeing the knight to be a lady " Hah, what do we have here? He who finds pleasure in others pain." Donavan shrugs off the snide remark and says, "Feed this one and know that the Captain calls us." With that he turns and walks away. Leslie looks at Ralphin and says, "Don't mind him, he's not from around here. I'm Leslie and who may you be?"

After bowing, he replies that he is the messenger to King Gregory and states his errand. Again, he notices a certain joy burn in Leslie's eyes. He wonders what in Ullr Vetr's name is wrong with these people. Leslie's words disturb his musings, "Now they will see the true king of Pendor. Do my words distress you?"

"The tongues of people wag too much, that is why I do not believe everything I hear," he replies. Leslie laughs and asks, "I would like to put you at ease, what is it that you hear?" Ralphin pauses to pick his words carefully and responds, "Well, I heard he went to Sarleon and ale run like rivers through the streets and during the great drought of Marleon, he fed the whole town..." He was interrupted by Leslie who was bouncing with joy, she told him, "At Sarleon, my Captain found a chest that could only be opened by the medallion left to him by his father, Geduk Cavalain. It was full of gold, silver and gems as big as a man's fist. Some of it was even from the old Calradian Empire. Now when he ordered ale for his company, found it cheap, so he bought all the stock including those in the taverns and then gave some to the people. I handled that tidy bit of business, the rest was because of how Sara sang that day. We left the whole town enthralled in merriment and heard it went on for days till Ulric returned and he was angered."

"By how the people talked about Hatakir." Ralphin could only look at her with eyes wide open. Seeing he was caught in her tale, she continued, "Later that year, we had journeyed to Valonbray and Damia Provideo was with us. For we got sacks of grain for a very low price, the carts we had were loaded and we even bought two more. When talking with the captain on which market would fetch a good profit, we saw a group of villagers enter the town, wretched and miserable creatures they were. On questioning them, we found out they had left Marleons since the harvest had been poor. We gave them a sack and a couple of denars as we departed. After a month of travel, we reached our destination and no one could have imagined the price we got. Each sack we bought for 10 denars, we sold for a 100. After selling to the merchants we gave some to a few villages around the town so that they had seed for the next season."

Ralphin nodded, Leslie smiled.

She orders one of the men to fetch food and drink. Turning to back to Ralphin, she says, "There are many more tales you will hear. I leave you now but my aides shall attend to you and escort you to the edge of camp. Ride like the wind and good journeys to you." She disappears amongst the tents.

Donavan was disturbed, how could that pathetic excuse for a soldier utter such words. How he anticipated tying up Leslie and showing her the meaning of pain. He almost walked past the tents that were for the commanders of the Lumina autem Pendor.

Upon stopping at the first, he heard a series of low moans then suddenly, a scream escaped from the inside, "Oh, Siggy!". Donavan shouted, "You two, the Captain calls!" As soon as he had said that, a gruff voice answered back, "Go hang yourself!" With that the screams grew louder. Donavan clenched his fists, his arm reached for his sword, a Noldor Longsword, when a voice came from behind him. He turned to see the blue Forlon Hope plate armour and Phoenix barbute that Jocelyn wore, moving closer to him.

"With that you would make a grave mistake. Let Sinclair and Sara be." Jocelyn stated. He continued, "If the Captain needs us, I shall call those who are here, you may fetch Frederick for I know not where he is." Donavan's anger washed away from Jocelyn's words and he felt relieved that he would not need to fetch anyone else. "I suspect Frederick may be amongst the cavalry," he answered.Jocelyn nodded as they parted ways.

Inside the tent, two bodies lay in embrace, their skin dotted with sweat. They rolled on a bed of furs and now the woman sat atop of the man, her delicate fingers running across his barrel chest, she could barely utter her words as she moved her hips gingerly, "I do ... not want ... aah ... to stop ..." Sinclair, did not let her finish her statement as his head went to her bosom making her close her eyes and her head drop backwards. She grabs his head pulling it to hers for a kiss. As their lips lock, she rose herself up and staggered away from him. Her hands ran in her hair and in between her chest as she let out a gasp of hair. She moved towards the wash basin while he stood up and said, "How can I stop when I am like this," pointing below his waist. He was upon her in a heartbeat taking her from behind.

The thief in the night

Gueneratilial moved behind the next guard post as silent as their own shadows. The presense of Qualis Tear become more noticeable for her senses as closer she moves toward his yurt. Yet all her pleas to Ithilrandir to use force were useless. Finally, the stupid creature went to celebrate the victory with the other senior commanders, so it was highly unlikely that he could suddenly return to his yurt tonight. And Gueneratilial quickly decide to use the good opportunity to put her hands over the Tear at last. Ithilrandir wasn`t a Seer. He wasn`t even a mage and he definitely had not the slightest idea how important was for them to collect all Tears as quickly as possible. What if the stinking human decided to sell the visibly unimportant crystal? She refuses even to think for that possibility. She carefully lifted the hide hanging at the yurt entrance and froze. At the bedroll inside she saw two fully armed and armoured warriors, standing guards in the sparcely furnished place, their armoured gauntets resting over the hilts of their unsheathed sabres. She barely made her escape before they saw her and she cursed her bad luck.

Who for Qualis`s name put guards of an empty yurt? After some time she carefully lifted the left corner of the hide and look inside. The two guards still stand still on their places and she issued a soundless sigh of relief. They didn`t caught her. The time passes and Gueneratilial continue to watch the guards, who nor speak a word, nor they move a santimeter. The presence of a Tear was maddening close and she decides to take a risk. She found a tiny stone piece and throws it inside. It fell without a sound over the furs, covering the ground. Cursing soundlessly under her mask Gueneratilial took a bit larger stone and throws it … right toward the guard, standing on her right side. The stone hit the sabre blade with noticeable sound and Gueneratilial froze, expecting a call of alarm. In the next moment the sabre slowly fell on the furs. None of the guards moved and Gueneratilial stare at the wooden stick supporting the armoured glove behind the sabre and she barely hold her giggle. The two “guards” were just emply sets of armours.

She quickly slips inside and began to untie the leather bag over the bedroll. She took and throws aside the few gemstones, amulets and figurines that fell into her hands and finally she turns the whole bag upside down, spreading its content over the furs and then stare again in pure shock. Not a single one, but eleven Qualis Tears were spread right in front of her eyes! She grabs the first one and the pure hardened magic source fills her sense with the overwhelming power of the dragon`s magic. In the first moment she tries to grab all Tears at the same time and then she came to her senses, took the empty leather bag, knelt and began to fill it with the priceless Tears.
Two sabres touched her neck.
“Whad do we have here!” A female`s voice pronounced slowly. “A little thief!”
“Drop everything and put your nands behind your back!”
Gueneratilial`s eyes brightened with her frenzy. Her hands slowly dropped the bag and moved toward her back when she raises her shoulders up, twist her head aside and the sabre blades slids at the helmet under her hood without slicing her neck.

She roll on her right, pulling two throwing knives from special pockets over her thighs and she throws at the two guards. The throwing knives hit their armours and fell without leaving any wound, but Gueneratilial pull two long knives for close combat and throw herself in attack.
Instead to separate to attack her from two sides, the guards close to each other. The left one strike at her from down while the other one slashes from her right to left. Both sabres hit Gueneratilial`s breastplate and for her great surprise almost manage to slice trough it, yet it gave her the opportunity to close enough to strike at their hearts. Her knives hit them both yet their armours endured her strikes. In the next moment a shield strikes her in the face and Gueneratilial staggers for a brief moment but it was enough. The other guard strikes low at her thigh and cut it right to the bone. Gueneratilial fell without a sound and tried to roll forward and to hit her enemies at their feet too. But with her breastplate it wasn`t possible. Yet she was stronger than her enemies but they were two against her and not just some common guards, but clearly well-trained and experienced warriors.

Her knives sliced without any result over the long scaled armour that protected her enemies’ legs and in the next moment metal boot hit her right over the sliced thigh. The pain was strong enough for her to freeze for a moment. Her enemies strike at her, piercing her forearms with their sabres, nailing her quite effectively on the ground. Gueneratilial wasn`t able to hold her grip over her knives any more and bites her tonque not to scream. It was over. They got her and she knew it. With last effort she kicks back with her strong leg catching one of them under her knee. Gueneratilial heard that the female fell with curse, yet she wasn`t able to use it for her advantage unless she cut off her own hands. She tried to release at least one hand. The pain blinded her. She gnarl and remain immobile, waiting for the mortal strike.

A loyal servant

In the throne room of Windholm Qaggoth-Jeag look down at the bloodied Benazi, whom torn wings barely lifted him outside the battle.
“What did they do to you?”
Mreevaardu look at her eyes.
“Half of my army betrayed me and didn`t enter the battle. My servants from the Heretics …”
A blue-robed Tenari spoke behind his mask.
“They belong to the princess, Benazi. She generously permits you to command them instead her. Yet despite having four armies of lesser creatures, two hundreds Baatetsu and eight hundreds Tenari … YOU FAILED!”
“Do be careful!” Qaggoth-Jeag hissed with anger.
The black-skinned demon bow to her.

“My mistress, with such power at his command even a lesser Benazi scion must be capable to overwhelm an army consisted ONLY from lesser creatures. He had NINE mages on top of that, while the lesser creature had NONE! All mages serves the ruling family, mistress - YOURS family, and you permit him to use them in battle. You let him to command your invasion force in battle and HE FAILED YOU! But HIS FAILURE will reflect on you, mistress, and it will be considered for YOUR failure!”
Mreedvaardu shouted in rage.
“I was betrayed!”
“Really?”
The little demon turns toward his princess.
“I need to present to your attention some very troublesome matters, my mistress. But I need your word, that you will do nothing in the next three days. You will need that time to think, and not to act in haste, for the current event put light over some very dark shadows.”
Qaggoth-Jeag was almost ready to tear the little one on pieces.

“Mreevaardu speaks true! Two of his armied didn`t come on the battlefield. The lesser creatures were too numerous for his forces.”
“For his limited abilities, yes. For his forces? No. He had no HIS forces there, for the soldiers who died because of his incompetenece weren`t his, but yours, my mistress. Which means, that this failure of his will be considered YOURS from Qaggoth-Shaal! And not HIM but YOU will pay the price for HIS failure!”
“NO! It can`t be!”
“It can, and it will be. But it isn`t all. Do you give me your word?”
She thought briefly.
“You have my word. I won’t act at least for three days after I learn what you have to say.”
The lesser demon made a sign and armed guards brough three hooded Baatetsu. They removed their hoods and Qaggoth-Jeag draws her sabre. Her Tenari hold her hand.

“No, my mistress! Listen!”
“THEY BETRAYED ME!” Qaggoth-Jeag roars in fury. “They tried to kill me!”
“Yes, we do that and more.” Qaggot-Igae spoke with hard voice. “Those Benazi Scion captured us in ambush and forced us to choose between death from Edali-spiders or to kill you.”
Mreedvaardu throw himself forward, drawing his sabre.
“YOU LIE!”
Three guards took his weapon and forced him to kneel, while he shouted and threatened them furiously. Finally one of them binds his mouth.
Qaggoth-Jeag forced herself to calm down.
“You know the punishment for what you`ve tried to do. There will be no mercy for you.”
Qaggoth-Semal didn`t tremble. At least not from outside. Cold terror hold her bones in strong grip from inside her.

“What could we possibly gain from your death in such a moment, when our mother and four other sisters of ours were close enough to chase us? When the conquest is at such a risk? Your favourite protégé is the traitor who wants your power! We wanted to live, so we agreed with his plan. After the victory tonight he would have take these lands for himself, and to declare it part of Benazi domain! So we didn`t throwed ourselves and our soldiers for him. We lost enough!”
Qaggoth-Esal moved between the guards and knelt before her older sister.
“I invoke your judgement to decide whos guilt is bigger. I did not fought against your forces during the Invasion, I`m not a trator toward Qaggoth family.”
“Is that so?” Qaggoth-Jeag smile was predatory. “I will kill you!”
“There is no need to hurry, my mistress.” The little Tenari steps forward once more. “Bring her here!”
Nearga-Reun came with calm steps, her armor and wings were undamaged, so it was clear that she wasn`t participated in the battle.

“Why my promised bond-mate is in chains, Your Highness?”
Her jaws lowered in shock.
“Your … WHAT?!?”
Nearga-Reun respond with surprise, clearly visible over her beautiful features.
“Miri said that he will make me his bond-made! He wants only me!”
Qaggoth-Jeag slowly rose and walks toward her and then looks at her from upside down.
“YOU? The simpleton of Nearga family? You were lucky to keep your head the last time. A scion of Benazi will never ever even look upon you!”
Reun smiles against her with smile of a minx.
“Miri said that he cares only for me, not for some arrogant fat arse that drool upon his beauty. He was mine last night and now he will remain mine!”

Qaggoth-Jeag almost lost her senses for a moment.
“It isn`t possible!”
“Are you envious? That I can have him and you can not? He has an eye only for MY beauty!”
The Tenari steps forward just in time to save her life.
“Tell me then, beauty, why you didn`t support him with your army?”
“Huh, very hard to see, right? Esal came to me. She convinced me that for a beauty like mine Miri must come to me and to ask for my help personaly!”
“I know that you are stupid, but to be so blind? Is that even possible?” Qaggoth-Jeag though dark, gliding the hilt of her weapon. She moves her gaze upon her Tenari, who stood calm and confidant in the eye of the storm. She allow Mreedvaardu to speak.
“Everyting is lie upon lie, covered with more lies, Your Highness! I`ve never acted against you!”

“Did you lay with Reun?”
“NO! NEVER!”
“Miri! I`m hurt! My legs still hurt from our last night!”
Qaggoth-Jeag roars insanely and all froze on their places. She went to Mreedvaardu and put her left hand into his loincloth. Then she roughly put her fingers deep between Reuns legs. She moaned in pain. Qaggoth-Jeag sniffs her fingers carefully. Then her face turns pale in frenzy.
“Lock them separately and do not allow them to speak with no one without my personal order.” She ordered with barely restrained voice. “If someone, anyone disrupt my order, I`ll feed the spiders with him myself. OUT!”
Her court exit in haste, but she stops her oldest servant, Hazzlit-Ilaar and the Tenari.
“She smelled of HIM! OF HIM, ILAAR! Tell me, what do you think? Is it possible?”
Ilaar`s stern face wrinkles.

“It is a very dangerous accusation. But he is a male, everything is possible. She is quite beautiful, after all.”
“Is it possible to be just a Tenari plot?” Her voice was almost pleading.
“Of course it could, we enslaved their kind. But the Tenari here serves you long and well. He never did anything against you. Not even once.”
“I saw his face when I sniffed his smell from the stupid … Reun! He was surprised! I`m sure of it!”
“Surprised …” The Tenari spoke slowly and lazily.
“Yes! He didn`t do it!”
“He was surprised that you bother yourself to check, instead to swallow his words on fate as always. He plays with you, as a Benazi.”
“I don`t … I don`t believe it! Ilaar?”
“It is possible, that the lesser one lies.” Ilaar crosses the distance toward the window a few times in consideration. “He isn`t entirely trustworthy, if you ask me. He is a slave.”

A grim expression change her face when she look in Jeag`s eyes.
“But I trust a Benazi as much as an Edali-spider.”
Which was less than none. Edali-spiders were extraordinary intelligent predators, whos poison and acid were used for torture in only a handful cases in the history. To say it simply, even Baatetsu feared to enter into their territories. One accurate web-shot and even Baatetsu warrior quickly turns into a plaything, whos screms …
“Get out. Both of you.”

The fragility of the humankind

The smoking battlefield was dark, but far from silent. Tens of thousands horses, drugged before the battle to prevent them panicking from the demons during the battle still lied on the field, dying in agony. Between the pile of corpses and spread parts of bodies walked figures, checking and collecting everyone still breathing. Constant stream of patients waited at the healers` tents at which entrance the piles of limbs becomes larger and larger. The warriors took care for the lighter wounds alone, leaving only the heaviest of wounds at the care of the bloodied and overloaded healers.
Sharaz didn`t issued a sound when Sharab tightened the bandage over her broken ribs. Sharas lied next to her, her bloodied face was broken from heavy mace, long sabre was cut trough her armour, leaving her with twenty-three santimeters long slice over the stomach wall. From the gap a pink innards was outside, pressed from bloodied piece of leather garment. Her other sisters lied around her, wounded almost as heavy as herself.

Shavaar bey enters silently, his boots left red marks over the furs spread into the yurt. The left side of his armour was torn apart, the undergarment was soaked in blood. His left hand was broken on three places, bandaged in haste, yet he his face was stern as always.
“How is she?”
Sharad responds without turning her eyes from the bloodied mass under her. Her hands found two pieces of bone and began to put it where it was supposed to be.
“She could endure to midnight. Longer, if she is unlucky.”
Shavaar bey didn`t blink, not even a muscle at his face moved at her words.
The yurt`s gate opens and a lone blue-robed figure appears.
“I hope that I`m not interrupt something?”
“No, Gaduilm. Not yet. You may sit and watch with us how my daughter will die.”

“Let me see her. I have some experience with wounds. Part of that being a traveling merchant, I`m afraid.”
“He can`t do any more harm, one way or another.”
Gaduilm expertly check the wound. Sharad was right. Still he hesitates how further he could stretch the limited right given to him from his mistress.
“I must speak with the warlord. It is urgent.”
“He is over there.”
Gaduilm turns left toward the far side of the large yurt, where the warlord stood over some corpse. He went there carefully. The warlord worked over another one of his bodyguards, mending her broken bones.
“Rambulhwa, you must help me!” Gaduilm began with tensed voice. “She doesn`t believe me! After all that time she still don`t trust me enough to take my word instead of her mortal enemy!”
“You are just a slave.” The warlord spoke slowly, as if huts. “He is one of her own.”

“I proved my loyalty more times than his own years!”
“As you describe it, she just wants him more than she wants you.”
“No! It isn`t possible!” Gaduilm was shocked. “He is from her rival family!”
“Lust is a lust. For her the rest probably doesn`t matter.”
“But it does! He just uses her! He will kill her for her power, I`m sure of it!”
“Why do you care so much for her? She is your slaver, the slaver of your tribe?”
“I sacrificed too much. I`m high into her court and she usually listen to me when I have something important to say! Sometimes she chooses my advice instead of her family advisors! It is incredible opportunity to gain more for my … tribe! You must help me! Send assassins, poisoners, archers, whoever you want, just kill him! I will do everything in my power to help you for … you know.”
“Where is he?”

“In the palace in the middle of the town.”
“Master?”
Shavaar bey thought briefly.
“They have real magic. Even the best of us can not approach without careful preparation. It can`t be done in such a haste.”
Gaduilm`s thoughts run furiously. His razor-sharp mind, that brought him at the highest position amongst his enslaved kind, desperately tries to find an exit from the current crisis.
“None of my kind can do that and the Baatetsu that are obliged to me for past favours will not stand against someone as high in rank as Mreedvaardu.” He hesitates for a moment, but it he had nothing to lose.
“YOU went to battle because you like my mistress too. I know it, don`t try to deny it. If you don`t want a Benazi to win her, you must do something to stop his plans right now!”
“I wouldn`t bother to deny that.” Rambulhwa spoke trough pressed teeth. “Perhaps there is a way for you to survive.”

“TELL ME!”
Gaduilm lowered himself forward and finally he saw the human`s condition. The warrior`s face and hair were covered in still fresh blood from a long slice through her scalp. The left side of her body was smashed from heavy hits. All ribs from that side were broken, she barely moved his left hand. Blood covered the bandages and by the blood at her mouth Gaduim decide that her lung was pierced. A mortal wound for their kind. 
“But you will use your magic to heal Sharas.”
“Do you have any idea what torture is expecting me if I`m caught overstepping the small limits of my freedom? I will dream to die!”
“I`ll give you horses, gold, slaves, lands … whatever you wish… ” The warlord stops for a moment and add: “ … please…”

Even in his current situation Gaduilm notice the pain, that costs him to beg. D`Shar were proud people. They had no spines that could be flexed.
“I`ll risk my horns and blood, and those of my own kin for that. I hope that it will be worth it.”
He went outside and soon he came back with a tall Baatetsu female. White light brightened around her taloned hands when she began to chant on her own language. Sharas`s wounds began to mend visibly by itself. Shortly, the broken bones and the sliced meat turn to strong, healthy flesh.
“It is done.” Gaduilm spoke with great tension. “Tell me!”
“The assault of the town will begin immediately, but the palace will not be attacked. Return to your mistress and tell her, that you discovered a way to turn her loss into a victory. Her commander may challenge the commander of our armies to a duel to death. You will negotiate the terms, so if he won, we will surrender to her. If I won, she will take me for her consort. Prepare some of your contracts and ...”

As Jocelyn walked, he chanced upon a knight in Eventide armor carrying several scrolls, to whom he asked, "Where to Ansen?" A young voice echoed under the Eventide helm, "I'm off to the Captain. He may need to check these accounts. Sir!" Jocelyn chuckled to himself and patted Ansen's shoulder saying, "Must I remind you not to be so formal?" To which Ansen responded quickly, " But you are the second in command, my senior." "You utter words much in the way you fight," Jocelyn said to perplex the young knight but Ansen retorted, "All improvement is due to your being an exceptional tutor." The words humor Jocelyn further as he says, "Well then, all is well that you seek the Captain, for he summons us and where may the ladies be?" Ansen points at an open space by two tents and both head their separate ways.

Jocelyn enters the space and hears an arrow pierce the air to hit a log that stood 12 cubits away. He eyed the shooter who still stood in stance checking the target. Apart from the Noldor infantry helm and definitive figure of a lady, one would have mistaken it to be a Noldor Ranger based on her equipment. She pulled out a blue tailed arrow and placed it in the rest. The arrow bore a slight bend that waned away when she nocked it in place and drew the string. The bow curved as her fingers receded till they sat below her eye. Her lips let out a soft breath when she let the arrow fly, her head rising to follow her shot and the arrow flew true landing next to the first.

"I do believe you handle your bow well," said Jocelyn as he got closer. The lady by the name Adonja, looked at him with a small smile upon her pale skinned face. Jocelyn reassured her with a nod adding, "You may also try to shoot off your horse too, but for now we are summoned by the Captain." "Thank you for your advice. I find the bow to be well made though it does need a strong arm," she replied.

*cubit - measurement equal to a metre

Jocelyn explained to her what Lethaldiran told him, that the bows were made from a dark hard tree known as mvule which grew deep in the forests of Laria, the white part on the front was from the golden elm also known as the ever straight tree. "Hah! It is no wonder, for the bow wants to straighten itself," remarked Adonja as she looked the bow up and down. Jocelyn finished by saying, "Though their magic is faded, they still enchant their weapons most likely aided by those Qualis gems."
No sooner had he finished his statement than two figures came their way. One was dressed in the same manner as Adonja but had on a Noldor Captain helm whom Jocelyn made out to be Boadice accompanied by Riva, who wore a Noldor Archer garb coupled with a Noldor Infantry Helm. Adonja departed as the two stopped where she had just stood. Jocelyn bowed and addressed them, " Mi ladies your presence adds much beauty to such mundane space." Boadice stifled a giggle, she wondered why this man disturbed her thus, perforating through her defenses, beside her Riva waved a hand and said, "My! Sir Jocelyn, your statement labels you a liar for your eyes afix themselves on your object of affection." Jocelyn smiled under his helm and stated how the Captain had summoned for them. He ushered them away, all the while his eyes holding their gaze with Boadice's, who felt swoon.

Adonja made her way to the Captain when suddenly a tent's flap was flew open and a beautiful lady wearing a Singalian Temptress armour stood outside holding it. "The air will do you good, my lovesss." A man in Pendor Heavy Plate armour  staggered outside. His eyes were red, his face a deathly white and each breath came at great effort. Though he looked in pain, his body was taken by ecstasy with his senses numbed. He slumped in a pile against a post, closed his eyes and grinned. Adonja knew them to practise unheard arts but she could not help worry, where she moved closer and asked, "Alyssa, is everything alright?"

A bargain made is a bargain done

Gaduilm finishes with the reading of the voluminous contract and waited for his mistress to speak. By the look of her face he saw that she is close to another tantrum.
“So you are saying, slave, that the same lesser creature, which saw me into my chamber now is willing to bet his life and the whole Pendor to become …”
“Yes, mistress.” Gaduilm bent himself low. “Somebody told him, that a warrior like him could fight to win your favour in battle against your champion.”
Qaggoth-Jeag lower herself until her eyes leveled with her slave eyes.
“CONSORT?!?”
The slave didn`t tremble even a little bit.
“There is no law or custom that prevents a male to fight for your favour, mistress. I double checked that.”
She roars at a santimeter away from his face.

“THERE IS NO LAW OR CUSTOM THAT SAID I WILL SHOW HIM MY FAVOUR!”
“Perhaps someone … missed to mention it to him.”
She stares at him. Gaduilm continue with calm voice.
“Mistress, he just married Maltise, the Champion of the Snake Cult and I know for sure that he negotiate with Azi Dahaka for immortality. By the the terms of the offer, they will left the towns for they want to live in accordance with their nomadic traditions. And the Snakes will not mess with their lifestyle. They will only take the criminals, judged to death. Furthermore …”
Qaggoth-Jeag raises a hand for silence. After some time she spoke with rather controlled voice.
“I can`t allow that to happen! Azi Dahaka must not achieve supremacy here! My invasion must succeed! It is your duty to help me in that! Kill the creature!”
“My mistress …” Gaduim sighed heavy. “Another creature will replace him within a day or less. The military hierarchy is clear. This one isn`t openly hostile toward us, unlike many others. I personaly choose him and gave him your childhood weapons, so that you could affect him with magic, if necessary.”

“I tried.” Qaggoth-Jeag wrinkles furiously. “Except a few strange dreams I wasn`t able to “suggest” anything into his mind.”
“The weak-minded fools rarely hold supremacy over the illiterate savages. Or perhaps Azi Dahaka also tries something similar and your efforts counter each other.”
Finally, he saw that she took his words more seriously and began to consider the possible outcomes.
“If that is true why he will bother to negotiate with you?”
“Because he saw you, mistress. Maltise is a powerful creature, maybe as powerful as a Baatetsu, but she was a human like himself. You are not. Your beauty is something entirely different. Males died fighting for you before and another will die for your favour in the future too. It is just as it is.”
She roars against him.
“I WILL NEVER ALLOW A LESSER CREATURE TO …!”
The double door hit the wall and her chief bodyguard runs inside.
“Mistress! The lesser creatures attack the town! They are inside the …”

While Tegruuldan-Nierbasul moved near one of the large windows a cloud of arrows flew inside and severa hit the back side of his neck and the head. At least four pierced deep his powerful neck. He coughed blood and slowly fell on his knee, then he fell on the floor in agony.
“Barricade the windows!” Gaduilm shouted an order. “Use every piece of furniture! Block the gates and wait for new orders!”
The other bodyguards run to fulfil his commands. Two of them stood guards in front of her, protecting their mistress from more arrows with huge shields. Third carefully close one of the windows and look outside.
“They took the walls completely; I can see the bodies of two Baatetsu. Archers are positioned on every roof around. I see a catapult!”
“They could destroy this pitiful building! We must attack now!”
“NO!” Gaduilm shouted and they all turn toward him in surprise. “They are too many!”
He knelt in front of his mistress.
“Mistress, gave me your orders and I will go to negotiate with them! There is still a chance to win!”

“I WILL NOT LET A LESSER CREATURE TO …”
“If you order him yourself to do it?”
“Such thing will never happen!”
“Does he need to know that?” Gaduilm spoke with innocent voice and add. “If you say that you will consider it, he may accept it. The deal doesn`t need to specify how long you will “consider” it, after all.”
Battle cries from thousands throaths came from outside and Qaggoth-Jeag understood that they have very little time before the final attack. If not the archers, a catapult loaded with small stones could tear her wings apart. The possibility to return at home and to admit defeat to Qaggoth-Shaal didn`t even cross her mind.
“Do it!”
Gaduilm bow to her only once and left in haste.
Soon the war cries faded and the watchmen saw that the lesser creatures lowered their weapons. When Gaduilm came back, he reported his success shortly.
“There will be no further hostility tonight. In the morning you will meet him outside the gates.”
She eyed him with suspiciousness.
“And the lesser creature believed you on your word only?”
“A bargain made is a bargain done. That is our way.”

Falahalinalael tried to cover her sincere wish to decapitate the humans around her and to tear apart the filthy hands holding the venerable Seer. Instead she spoke with indifference.
“What is it? Why are you brough me here?”
Lethaldiran translated for the barbarian.
“She was captured in my yurt, trying to steal from me. Did you send her?”
“Of course not!”
“I do believe you. So I`ll kill her and we will forget about it.”
“HOLD!”
Ithilrandir came in haste and stand in front of the savage with his hand on the hilt of his weapon.
“Release her immediately!”
“She is a thief.”
“I didn`t killed the men who tried to steal my horse!”

“But I am not you. I do prefer to kill the thieves.”
Ithilrandir didn`t hesitate.
“Release her, and I`ll give you my horse!”
As he expected, the tribesman eyes burned in greed.
“She is yours!”
“KILL HIM!” Gueneratilial screamed immediately after he pulls the rag outside her mouth. “HE HAS ELEVEN TEARS!”
All Noldor froze on their places and the tribesmen didn`t missed it.
“What does that mean?” The warlord spoke with suspiciousness in his voice. “Who is she and why is she so important to your warlord?”
Lethaldiran tries to calm the situation, cursing the Seer for her recless attempt. Even he didn`t knew that Rambulhwa had so many Tears.
“Her name is Gueneratilial, she is a Seer amongst the Noldor and a very important member of …”

“SHUT UP, YOU TRAITOR!” Gueneratilial shouted insanely. “KILL HIM! KILL HIM NOW!”
She tries to throw herself over the stinking savage. Ithilrandir himself restrain her, while the warlord took a large leather bag from one of his bodyguards, steps closer to Gueneratilial and spoke right to her.
“So you are Gueneratilial. I`ve heard of you. You want the crystals, right? You want them so bad, that you are ready to steal and kill for it?”
“YES! YES!”
“Ah, so you understand my language!” Rambulhwa didn`t miss how Ithilrandir needed to hold her with all of his strength and add with indifference. “You will never have it! Look carefully!”
He throws the bag to Falahalinalael, who took it instinctively.
“It’s yours. But I want to hear the song that your warlord sang to charm his wife. “
Falahalinalael quickly untied the bag to count the Tears alone. Ithilrandir interrupt her.
“What does that mean?”

“He … we bargained … he agrees to give me five tears if I found someone to sing Salohaniel`s song for a female of his choosing.” She was unable to look at him.
“WHY?”
The pain into his voice flooded her eyes with tears.
“I … I didn`t asked, my lord. I thought that he wants to impress a female … I was ready to ask Teruvendel to do it … Please, forgive me!”
While his very own soul is tearing apart in agony, Ithilrandir understood that she was willing to do everything in her power to obtain the priceless Qualis Tears. Yet he felt weakness in his legs and waivers visibly.
“And there was no other way?”
His painful cry pierce her heart with heated iron.
“No, my lord. I can kill him, but …”
Ithilrandir barely manage to scrap the last remaining willpower of his to speak.
“I will do it.”
“But my lord …”
“When it must be?”
Falahalinalael didn`t knew how she found strength to speak.
“At the first light, right outside the town gates.”
“So everybody will see and hear it. I can understand Qualis now. Even a dragon can cry. But the Tears must be in our hands. So be it! Noldor must survive at all cost.”

Donavan had just gone past the horses when he noticed a group of men huddled near some tents. He opted to continue walking but a sudden shout caught his attention and saw it fit to investigate. D'Shar tongue filled the air for the group was made up of Windriders and Ghazi Stalkers who failed to notice the approaching Donavan. His moustache twitching, he rammed his way among the men who on seeing him turned pale, torn between saluting or fleeing apart from two who stood calm in the midst. One wore the Windrider armour while the other was in Falcon Plate armour. He regarded them both and departed stating, "More mischief from you two! Know the Captain summons."

One of the Ghazi Stalkers by the name Jaali, regained his composure and asked the knight, "Rayne Emir, you are known to be fair, is it not unjust to take a man's wages?" "Not if the man commited to the rules of Goflak." The reply came not from Rayne but from he who stood beside him. Jaali turned to him asking, "Goflak may be a game of chance but Kassim Emir, how can you win four rounds?" Rayne interjected, "You did not object yesterday when I lost my denars." His statement was followed by murmurs from the group. Another voice shouted out, "A wager won in Goflak is to be kept!" Kassim spread his arms wide as he addressed the group, "If any has an issue with my luck let him curse his own ill fortune for meeting me. Rest assured, you shall have another chance to win back your gold, if you have more. For now we take our leave." None objected as Kassim and Rayne departed.

When they were beyond earshot, Kassim handed Rayne two pouches jingling with gold saying, "The profit included." Rayne considered the weight of the pouches in his palm and said, "The sheer joy you find in swindling is astonishing." Kassim laughed out loud then replied, "Goflak is all about cheating your opponent, here we play with gold but at home, many have lost herds of horses." He shook his denars again and laughed.

As he put some distance away from the group, Donavan wondered what Rayne and Kassim were caught up in. They were able commanders in their own right but they engaged in certain frivolaties that disintegrated the ranking order of the army. If only all of them followed his methodology of being stern. His musings were abruptly cut short when he spotted the black and yellow Mettenheim Plate armour worn by Frederick. He came up to him saying, "You do know she is aware of you." Frederick had been pretentiously inspecting the horses all the while observing a lady polishing her Azure Plate armour. "Ah, Donovan, she iz but a flower that adorns the fields where I check the horses," he replied in a thick accent.

"Hah, puzzling it is, how can one who stands his ground against Noldor, fights his way through Demon Magni and dishes out destruction fail to approach a wee damsel?" Donavan retorted. Frederick shook his head and said, "Thoze requist tact and skill, none effort. She! Iz a voman beyond compare. Of radiant beauty, noble and strong." Donavan shook his head and challenged him to approach her, thereafter they would heed the Captain's summons. Frederick stood still then took steps in the direction Donavan came from, turning to ask, "I thought you said the Captain calls." Donavan let a out scraping chuckle and they both went towards Hatakir's tent.

A lady run her fingers on the tip of a Noldor man's ears as they stood atop a jagged rock granting them a view of the camp. She stood behind him pushing her body covered in Noldor Archer garb against his Noldor Ranger armour. She asked, "Leth my darling, what is it that perturbs you?" Lethaldiran angled his head following her touch as it rode against his cheek and said, "I believe the Captain has us in a shroud. There is something he says not." The lady by the name Julia, replied, "He says he knows not and I believe him." Leth turns to hold her and says, "Everything that has happened and that Numero Codexa, I must confrot him!"

Alyssa kept her gaze on Alistair while she hurriedly answered Adonja with a hiss, "Yesss!" Adonja stepped away, wary of the two and how they seemed to torture each other for fun. She told them how they were summoned, looking on as Alistair kept smiling, trying to raise his hand but unable to. Alyssa acknowledged her as she moved towards Alistair, standing above his legs and then squatting till she was face to face with him. Adonja left the two.

Under his smile, Alistair said, "My beautiful snake, what pleasures have you now?" An elated Alyssa clutched his head saying, "I think that iss enough ssnake milk for today, do you not?" Alistair let out a grunt, he was intrigued by Alyssa's secrets and her rituals, especially the snake milk which was a special drink for the priestesses made from venom from particular snakes. It eased and stimulated their bodies in a pleasurable manner while it killed the uninitiated. He had been given only a little but the effects thrilled him. He closed his eyes again as he lay his head against her bosom.

Riva had intentionaly quickened her pace, leaving Jocelyn and Boadice behind her. She came upon the sight of Alistair and Alyssa, who nodded at her as she passed by. "At the very least, do it in the tent," Riva said, thus making Alyssa gasp, "Our businesss iss our own!" Riva laughed, saying that she was on her way and there was no need to spit venom.

Boadice calmly looked over at Jocelyn as they walked side by side, she was taken by his stature, reflecting on how it would feel against hers. Her mind was endulged in revieré, she barely caught Jocelyn as he turned his head and their eyes met. He smiled while she turned her eyes away, her face, blushing and hot. Jocelyn wondered how her manner changed around him, she was known to be quite vocal. He prodded with a remark, " My apologies your majesty. I warrant that if it was Veccavia, I would be gelded?" She turned to him with a voice like honey, "Who would want to geld you?"

Salohaniel`s song

Noldor were made extraordinary amount of work for the night. Flutes and trumpets were hold from hands, hardened from holding weapons, harps larger than man were assembled and some experienced Noldor awaiting the beginning. Three sisters, using silver plates with various weights tied over wooden frames and long wands stood in the center. Behind them the Noldor army was assembled in ranks around the north town gate with the huge drums placed in especially build platforms for maximum acustic effect. The tribesmen were arranged pile of furs just in front of the gate for the enemy leader. Several hundreds of them were already arranged in two columns between the gate and and an earth embarkment, three meters hight, placed especially for the lead singer. For him. The rest of the human army was arranged behind his Noldor. Considerably fewer in number there were still enough of them to look impressive for the pathetic remains of the demonic army. Ithilrandir couldn`t possibly care less for their casualties. Four hundreds forty seven Noldor lost their lives in the battle and the loss of so many of his kind weight its considerable toll over his already bleeding heart.

But his personal loss or gain ment nothing compares to the enoumous gain for all Noldor so he was ready to do what was necessary. Nothing else matters. From his vantage point Ithilrandir saw how the tribal warlord came out from his yurt and went toward his companions, who already waiting for him. Surrounded from his bodyguards he greets them and began to speak with them. Each one of them bows to him and he offered them a different gift. One of the females wearing helmet as snake head received an exquisite Noldor spear and he thought that the Tears costs more to Falahalinalael than she was ready to admit, but still within the reasonable borders. Strangely enough, another female received an ornate Noldor lyre and she throws herself over him, kissing him shamelessly in front of the entire army. Another man received huge Noldor infantry bow, another received a helmet, another – sword. There was something for every one of them. The last one was the exile, Lethaldiran, and Ithilrandir saw with no small surprise that the warlord gave him the Spirit Horse he just took from Ithilrandir himself. He`d never even guessed that a tribesman would agree to part with the horse like his own to the rest of his life!

The town gate were opened from the locals, who rebelled against the demons in the moment they saw the army prepared to assault the walls last night, so Ithilrandir was able to see the demonic leader from afar, accompanied from all survivors from the battle. He took his seat at the arranged place and removed his helmet. Ithilrandir wasn`t able to believe on his magical sight – the demon was a female! So the bloody tribesman went to all that to … to charm a DEMON FEMALE! For Qualis`s flame! It was unimaginable!
Still he gave his word, so he forced himself to do what was necessary and gave the signal for the beginning. The first began to play with the silver plates and bells for the beginning of the song and he went back five hundreds eighty three years ago. He sang.

Sitting over the pile of furs, Qaggoth-Jeag saw the cursed enemy warlord, who moved toward two columns of warriors arranged from small earth embarkment almost to her place. They draw their weapons and placed it over their own shoulders. The warlord`s bodyguards lifted him and helped him to step over the unsheated sabres of the first two lesser creatures when a tall creature over the embarkment gave singal and strange melody fills the air. The creature sang.
At his mistress`s left side Gaduilm began to translate.

“Here you are
Riding the sky
Painting the night with my blood
You and I, mirrors of light
Twin flames of fire
Lit in another time and place”

Qaggoth-Jeag`s face twisted in fury at the unimaginable for the lesser creature insolence. At any other moment she would have tortured it immensely, but right now she was forced to sit quietly and to suffer in silence. Gaduilm continue with the translation.

“I knew your name
I knew your face
Your lust and grace
Past and present now embrace
Words collide in inner place
Unstoppable, the song I play”

Gaduilm explained to her, that the lesser creature was unable to sing, so the singer were actually one of the two most powerful warlords from another non-human race called “Noldor”, who lived in the eastern part of the continent. How he brought him here and convinced him to sing the famous song in his stead was unknown, but Gaduilm assured her that the Noldor warlord sang it to charm his own wife centuries ago and no human or Noldor was heard it ever since. It was supposedly a great honor, as if she gave a rat`s tail for the lesser creatures rituals. The song continues.

“Burn your rage for me
I cannot erase the time of sleep
I cannot be free so take me thee
I cannot deliver you lust
Or caress your soul so
turn that rage for me
I cannot embrace the touch that you give
I cannot find solace in your words
or caress your soul …

Her nails colored in black when she pierced his own palms in wild rage. The insolent creature lusted after HER! She swore in Erida`s name to sacrifice his still breathing kin at the first opportunity. Meanwhile she was forced to suffer the enormous humiliation in front of the crowds around. The singer continue with passion.

“Age to age
I feel your call
In memory of future dreams
You and I, riding the sky
Keeping the fire bright
From another time and place …”

“Is it a hint here for my attempt to influence his mind trought his dreams? Could he be so magically talented to notice it? Is that the reason my attempts failed to miserably?” The thoughts appeared in her mind in haste, despite all reports that the lesser creatures were magically untalented. Meanwhile the leading lesser creature walked toward her stepping over the weapons placed over the shoulders of its own warriors. What kind of bloody rituals it was prepared to torture with?

“I know your name
I know your face
Your lust and grace
All of time cannot erase
What our minds remember stays
Forever on a song I play …”

It definitely hinted for the time it saw her trough the Gaduilm`s mirror! Oh, how he would have bleed for that! More instruments were involved and a hundred Noldor begin to sing with their leader and she forgot her worries for a brief moment due to the pure harmony of their performance.

“Burn your rage for me
I cannot erase the time of sleep
I cannot be free to take me thee
Or caress your soul so
turn that rage for me
I cannot embrace the touch that you give
I cannot find solace in your words
or caress your soul …

The play with the silver plates was exquisite and Qaggoth-Jeag thougt for a moment that she would like to spare them. Or maybe even the harps players. Then the large drums thundered, beaten by two creatures’ simultaniously each. A thousand Noldor sang together:

“I knew your name
I knew your face
Your lust and grace
Past and present now embrace
Words collide in inner place
Unstoppable, the song I play”

Long silver trumpets played with the rest, additing toward the complex multy-voiced harmony without any magic, just with its sound. She definitely didn`t expected anything so good from the lesser creatures. The song came close to its end and suddenly all instruments played together while all Noldor too began to sing together in full harmony:

“I know your name
I know your face
Your lust and grace
All of time cannot erase
What our minds remember stays
Forever on a song I play …”*

When the last sound deafened the lesser creature went down from the shoulders of the last two warriors and she recognized the lesser creature by her own childhood weapon it hold into its tiny little hands.

*The song is “Star Sky” by Two Steps From Hell. I merely replaced a few words for the story`s immersion.

All that matters is ... how we live!

“I`ve been waiting for a long time to meet you, Princess.” Rambulhwa bow politely. “But you are even more beautiful than I remember …”
Mreedvaardu step forward.
“INSOLENT CREATURE! I WILL …”
The lesser creature interrupt him and he stares from the unimaginable event. Not a single lesser creature he ever met into his live ever dared to interrupt him.
Rambulha gave him a disgusted gaze.
“When the masters speak, the dogs doesn`t bark!”
He spoke right to Qaggoth-Jeag.
“It seems that you are unable to discipline even your own dogs. You spoiled him.”
Mreedvaardu raise a hand.

“You will die!”
“Shut up.”
The order came from Qaggoth-Jeag and he stares at her.
“But the lesser …”
The blade at the tip of her tail left a bleeding wound over his left cheek. Her roar stunned him.
“I SAID SOMETHING!”
He cowers before her rage and the lesser creature laughed at him.
“Such pathetic display of disobedience! Shame on you! So it seems that I will make you a real favour killing your cur for you, Princess.”
The rage amost suffocate her, but she waives a hand. Gaduilm pronounced solemnly.
“Her Highness, Princess Qaggoth-Jeag herself mercifully agrees with the contract, offered from the lesser creature, named Rambulhwa. When you lose the duel, the other lesser creatures will become her slaves.” He coughed. “If you win, the lesser creatures will receive her mercifully permission to live on their current lands, as long as they recognize her supremacy, give her their convicted prisoners for sacrifices and does not persecute Erida`s followers for their fate. As for your personal plea …” Gaduilm tried very hard not to tremble under her flaming gaze and continue with tied throath. “Her Highness will consider it.”
“Heh, will I live long enough to hear her decision?”

Gaduilm translated something for his mistress and then her answer.
“You will live.”
“Then add it to our contract and I`ll kill the cur for her.”
“My patience is growing thin!” Qaggoth-Jeag rose from her place and towered over the smaller creature. Instead to kneel, he pointed toward one larger than him creature with axe-sharp features that hold chains with several crowned creatures.
“The Pendor kings all said the same to me, Princess. Now they are nothing but barking curs for my dear friend, warlord K`Juda from Jatu. You are defeated. I may give an order, and you and all your siblings will feed the worms. But fortunatlely for you, I do like you. So I will fight for your favour. Whoever dies first – lose. The other one will receive your favour. DO YOU AGREE?”
“Agreed.”
The warlord removed his heavy armored gautlet and sliced his left palm with the blade of his own weapon. Then he presses his palm over the marked places of the long parchments. Since she was civilized, Qaggoth-Jeag put her signature without such pompous rutual.
Rambulhwa took his copy, bow and went toward his companions. Akyola brough him the horse.

“Akyola, son of Jagu, you have served me long and well. But I have one more favour to ask from you.”
The mute bow again and made a gesture for agreement.
“You mourn her long enough. I want you to marry Surahal`s sisters – Begru and Jatira. Something about the way he never left them out of his sight worries me. If you ever find out that his behavior toward them was something more than the appropriate for a brother … may his screams reach my ears wherever am I.”
Akyola understood his chief very well and bow again with another gesture of submission.
Rambulhwa`s gaze move over his companions and the savage murderers behind Akyola.
“The laws and the customs must be followed under the blade of justice. If I do not return from this fight thе responsibility fall over you – all of you. If you allow D`Shar to live as our mortal enemies, they will die. I …”
He stops for Sharas pushes her way through them with force. Half dressed, but with her sabre in hand she came to him, barely holding herself on her feet.
“You drugged me!” She stutters with thickened tongue. “I will fight for you!”
“No.” The warlord spoke calm. “It is my fight, and I will fight it alone.”
“You sold yourself to the demons because of me! I must fight for you!”

“I did that because I wanted to do it. No one forced my hand. They even healed the Master and your other sisters too. It was a fair bargain.”
“THEY ARE DEMONS! You can`t trust them!”
Rambulhwa hold her into his hands and saw her tears.
“If they weren`t demons, I would have never believed them.”
“You will die!”
“Maybe. But it doesn`t matter how we will die. All that matters in how we live.”
“They will conquer us! We defeated them yeste…”
“It was their vanguard only. When they bring their entire army, we all will become food. Tomorrow or after a thousands years, but they will do it. So what could we do, when we face an opponent we can`t possibly overwhelm, eh?”
Sharas and her sisters spoke in one voice.
“We join him.”
“We lost forty one thousands, six hundreds and nine warriors yesterday. I will sacrifice the others too, if it was possible to win. But it isn`t. They are too strong and have real magic. No trickery or wishful thinking could help us against them. None of us here is so naive. So we must submit to them.”

He saw that she wasn`t convinced and simply gave an order to her sisters.
“Tie her and don`t let her to interfere.”
While she cursed him and twisted into their hands, he gave the leads of his magnificent stallion to Akyola and took his old horse. He took a small pouch from his belt and fed the old horse with its containment. Then he turns back and rode away.
“Release Vata`s black horse!”
At his command a shaman, covered with horse leather, brough forward a young pure black stallion and remove the thin rope around his neck. The animal stood strangely immobile on his place just looking at the crowd as if watching them. Maltise turns toward the nearest tribesman in the first raw.
“What does it means?”
Adessa Valo translated for her and then his answer.
“Vata is the god of the horsemen, Behichi. Our god. It is said, that he can see and hear trought his messengers – the black horses."

Leth made his way to the Captain's tent, Julia hurried to catch him. At a distance two people watched the scene. One wore a Lordly Dawn plate armour coupled with a Thick Empire Guardian helmet, while his companion wore a Reinforced Griffon Harness, Noldor boots and an Assasin Helmet that revealed large hazel eyes and with a husky voice with a sultry overtone says, "It seems dah elf's perturbed." After observing Leth's movement, her companion responds, "Lady Kaverra, your insight does give rise to my suspicion. Yes! Shall we see what he is up to?" Kaverra felt herself glow, she found Roland's actions and words quite satiating. Grabbing and holding onto his arm, they too move towards the Captain's tent.

Julia calls fell on deaf ears, Leth continued walking. He needed to know. She stopped calling out and hurried up to him as they neared the tent.

Donavan watched them enter as Roland and Kaverra came into view. Both he and Frederick hailed the two, who recognized and did suit. Behind them came Rayne and Kassim who laughed all the while jingling his gold.

Hatakir stood donning his Thick Heraldic Brigandine, it's lightness deceived the protection it offered. He glanced over at two Noldor Noble armours, though battered they were, their strength had not waned and he opted to give them to his commanders. Just then Leth rushes into his tent, to whom he addresses, "How does it, yes I summoned all the commanders, we ought to lull things over." For a brief moment Leth's mind ran for he wondered why the urge to confront the commander arose when they were to be summoned. Hatakir noticed and asked, "Is something on your mind?" Julia walked in as Leth began, "Captain Sir, I asked once when we met, about yourself where you said you came from Barclay because of a letter that made you realize a new truth. I questioned not. For now I question for a truth. I never noticed because of how you humans pronounce words. Were you aware part of your name, Hatak, means hidden in Noldor?"

Such is our way

Benazi-Mreedvaardu heard the squeaky voice of the lesser creature and bow toward Qaggoth-Jeag. He was ready to leave her, when she stoped him with a gesture. She took her own sabre and offered it to him. He fell on his knee, ready to accept the great honor from her own hands.
“Such insolence is beyond any limits. Made it slow, crush their “great champion” as the pathetic lesser creature it is and engrave his death into their tiny little brains. I WILL TOLERATE SUCH IMPUDANCE NO LONGER!”
Mreedvaaru took the weapon with both hands and proclaim:
“All of them will hear its screams and I will bring its still warm heart to you right here!”
He rises on his feet and turns toward the enemy. Their ranks separates and he saw his pathetic enemy sitting ove one of the little weak horses of these lands. He issued laud and rough laughter, hitting his shield with the magnificent sabre in challenge, understandable for all races. The lesser creature swings his polearm and kicks its horse in attack. Instead to waiting for it, Mreedvaardu fold his wings and run forward with wide steps of his long muscular legs. As both run toward each other they mett very soon and Mreedvaadu issued terrible roar that made the first line of spectators to hold their weapons, and the horses to dance under their riders who put efforts to hold them in place. But the creature`s horse doesn`t waiver and Mreedvaardu saw that his eyes were banded with a band of leather.

Furious, he lowered himself a bit and swoop right forward to his enemy. Just a moment before the impact the lesser creature saw that he had no intention to stop and throw itself from its saddle, swinging its weapon blindly. The force of the impact was dreadful, the old horse`s breastbone shatters under the unimaginable strength of the demonic strike and blood spreads Mreedvaaru, who felt sudden pain into his left wing. The bone was thick and tough, but the enemy`s blade was magnificent also and the blade manage to slice the left wing. The upper part fell and the tip of the blade slides at Mreedvaardu helmet, almost reaching his neck. He fell with the horse and rolls with him, tearing him apart in fury. When he manages to step on his feet he was entirely covered with blood, but despite that he felt a streaks at his own neck and touch the itching place with the tip of his gauntlet. The red blood over it turns black from his own blood and he stares at it for a moment then turns his bloody gaze toward the creature, who manage to rise on his feet and rushes at him weapon in hand. Mreedvaardu repels his first strikes without efforts, without even to move from his place. With such slow and weak strikes he had no difficulties to repel all of his pathetic hits and his skillfully counter attack sliced the top of the creature`s helm.

The creature removes it and throws itself forward swinging his strangely painted weapon with all of his abilities. It was trained, Mreedvaardu was able to see it clearly, but with such pathetic strength and agility it couldn`t possess a real threat to any Baatetsu or even to the weaker Tenari. He pretend that he was ready to step back and then made a fint and cut the creature`s left leg.
Qaggoth-Jeag immediately saw that the real threat was in the first moment of the impact. But even in the moment when Mreedvaardu was in position, unable to defend himself the lesser creature just had not enough strength to inflict mortal blow. And now it just had not a chance. The Baatetsu warrior holds his ground without efforts and with all of the skills and abilities of the creature it was painfully obvious that the two of them were simply in different categories.
“The winner is pre-defined. Why that creature even tried since it is so clear that it can`t possibly win?”
Gaduilm bow and explained.
“The lesser creature often likes to imagine, that when their enemy is stronger than them, they could overwhelm him with speed and agility.”

Qaggoth-Jeag followed the next strike, that sliced the creature`s right leg. It began to limp toward Mreedvaardu and swing low, probably with the last hope to cripple his opponent.
“Mreedvaardu is stronger, faster, more skillful and far more experienced and he isn`t even one of our best. He is under thousand years old, after all. How in Erida`s name any lesser creature could hold any hope to defeat him in a duel?”
“Well, some of them like to believe that the bigger warriors are dumb and slow, even clumsy. So they believe that they could run around him avoiding his strikes until he become tired and slow enough to strike at him. And even when they aren`t strong enough to place a mortal strike, they believe that with a few light slices the enemy will bleed quickly and he will be weakened enough for a finishing blow.”
She thought over Gaduilms words while the next strike sliced through the creature`s armor.
“Aren`t they capable to use their own eyes and to comprehend that a Baatetsu warrior isn`t like one of their own warriors? We are superior to them in any aspect!”

Gaduilm sighed, when the next strike cut Rambulhwa`s right arm and he could swing his weapon no longer. He gave everything from himself and in the first moment he had a real chance for a good strike, yet after that fisrt blind opportunity he was entirely of Mreedvaardu`s mercy. Who, obviously, was angry enough not to tear him apart in the first moments after he torn apart the horse.
“Well, mistress, they ARE lesser creatures after all. They are brave when they are many against a few yet …”
With deep cuts over all his limbs and armor that was sliced just enough to make him bleed, but not to kill him fast, Rambulhwa was unable to fight any longer and Gaduilm watched how he tried to raise his polearm in defense when Mreedvaardu finally steps forward and put the tip of his sabre into the creature`s stomach. Its trembling hands dropped the polearm and hold the blade into its own body when Mreedvaadu slowly put the tip further inside. The creature`s face twisted in pain and it hold the blade with all of its remaining strength. Mreedvaardu laughed loudly.
“Pathetic creature! The price of any disobedience toward a Baatetsu is death!”

Mreedvaardu rise his hand and the creature`s boots left the ground. It desperately holds the blade trying to prevent its falling over it. Blood streaks down over the sabre and began to drop at Mreedvaardu`s gauntlet while he raise his impaled enemy into the air with one hand.
“Lets see how blood you have yet inside, little creatue! I will enjoy your screams before to feast with your flesh!”
The creature`s mouth bled, yet it open its lips and spoke. The accent was rough, but the words were easily understandable.
“You already lost!”
For a brief moment Mreedvaardu was stunned on his place is surprise that his enemy knew his language and then the creature spreads its hands, releasing its grip over the impaling it blade. Its own weight dragged it down and in a moment the entire sabre pierced its body until it hit the blade`s safeguard. Fountain of blood spreads from its mouth and clouded Mreedvaardu`s vision and then with last efforts the creature thrust the razor-sharp fingerblades of its armored gauntlets deep into his throath. Instinctively Mreedvaardu tried to push it away and with it torn apart his own throath. Both fell on the ground.
Qaggoth-Jeag step forward, unable to her own eyes. How it was possible? She stopped at Mreedvaardu`s body. Blood flowed abundantly from the large gap into his torn flesh and she waives at her healer. The female steps forward, ready to use her magic. Smaller arm hold her.

“Whoever dies first – lose. The other one is still alive.”
“YOU DARE …”
“You are a princess from Qaggoth family of Baatetsu. You gave your word. The bargain must be upheld.”
“HE IS A BAATETSU! THE OTHER ONE IS ONLY A LESSER CREATUE!”
“A bargain struck is a bargain kept. Such is our way.” The smaller Tenari hold her hand in firm grip. “Break it, and you will lose everything! The Queen herself will eat your hearts! DO NOT DO IT!”
Her strike torn his face.
“I CAN NOT LET A LESSER CREATURE TO …”
Instead to retreat he hold her legs, pinning her in her place.
“I will not let you to kill yourself!”
“GET AWAY FROM ME!”
“Look at the Snake Cult priestesses, mistress! Look how happy are they! If you break your words you will die and they will take him for Azi Dahaka! They will make him our enemy!”

A quick glance over them showed the truth into his words. The faces of the priestesses blistened with such a joy, that it was hardly to believe that they were bound togheter. In front of her Mreedvaardu trembles for one last time. His head fell backward, leaving the terrible wound at his throath fully exposed. He was dead. 
“There is still time …”
Qaggoth-Jeag turns toward her bodyguards.
“Kill it.”
Utreemshel-Hadirielga put her blade back into her scabbard.
“The bargain struck is a bargain kept.”
The others followed.
“Such is our way.”
Fury blinded her, yet even now she understood and gave an order.
“Take it and prepare a chamber for the ritual.”

Rambulhwa felt pain. The sabre pierced his whole body sliced his innards and agony eating him every moment. His enemy slice him as if for mockery but the pride doesn`t allow him to scream in pain. With the same thick-headed spite that made him to strife toward achieving of the impossible goals of his master he slowly move in attempt to slower his bleeding. The first and the last goals of his duel were to live just a moment longer than his enemy. He concentrates and opens his eyes. The green color near his head came into focus and he realizes that it wasn`t grass but green fabric. Then he lifts his head and saw the heraldry. Smile curves his thin lips. Trampled and ragged, the banner of Earl Aedin Redsword was still recognizeable with his three white axes over green field. “So the old Gulahai said the true about his vision send by Vata …” he thought, while trying to put it at the sabre to slow the bleeding. Strong hands with too many fingers hold him and left him into the air. Waive of red-hot pain fills his mind and then came the darkness.

Awakening

Somebody screamed. The screams didn`t stopped and Rambulhwa tried to move and then he fell back. His whole body hurt immensely and he barely holds a scream of his own. Terrible stench of old blood, sweat, piss, stools and unwashed body reaches his senses. Pressing his teeth together he layed down until the pain slowly began to fade to more bearable level. After some time that seemed half-etirnity he was able to lift his right hand and to touch his stomach. He realizes that he was entirely covered with blood, but there was no gap, not any sign of wound at all.
“Qaggoth-Jeag, one day you will be mine!”
Furious scream deafened his ears and some monster appears from the darker part of the cell as if caming out of a nightmare. Skeletal features of a long face with cracked, dry skin with multiple scars from burning and cutting over tall, srawny and naked body holded only from thin chains nailed at the farthest wall stopped the walking nightmare to reach him. While he look at it, trying to understand what he actually see, it fell at the dirty floor and began to cough deep, scratching with weak movements with its long nails. Then he saw the torn remains of wings at its back and he understood what he see.
“You are a Baatetsu! To which family you belong?”
The demon doesn`t respond, as if the attempt to reach him was drained all strength from its body. Rambulhwa felf himself better and manage to raise, look around until he found small cup with water, took it and close to the skeletal demon. He touches the nearest shoulder and tried to turn it toward himself.

“Drink some water.”
He manages to turn the creature`s head toward him and slips the water between the dried, cracked lips. The three eyes suddenly opens and one hand began to move toward his throat. He hold it with his left hand and touch the face with his right.
“What is your name?”
Hearing the question, spoken on Baatetsu language the eyes opens wide in surprise. Weak whisper came from the creature`s throat as if the demon was forgot how to speak.
“Qaggoth-Amas`Ne.”
“Are you a relative of Qaggoth-Jeag?”
Weak angry hissing came from the demon.
“Sister.”
“Why are …”
Her eyes close and the demoness seems to lose her consciouness. Rambulhwa manage to look at her naked body, equally covered with various scars from torture just as her face. Her stench was barely bearable. Obviously she was prisoner for a long time. He went to the cell door and hit it with his fist.

“Guards!”
The door opens and a tall Baatetsu with two Tenari behind her came into his view.
“What is it, lesser creature?”
One Tenari translated.
“I`m hungry! Bring me a large piece of roasted meat and a jug of water!”
The large demoness bursted in laughter.
“Who care for your wishes, little creature?”
“When Qaggoth-Jeag ask why you left me to die from hunger what you will tell her to save your skin?”
“You doesn`t look hungry!”
“And what do you know for my kind?”
She asked something the smaller demons. They raised their shoulders. A shadow moved thгough her face.
“Nobody told me to feed you!”
Rambulhwa tried to hit her, but instead fell forward from weakness and barely manage to hold for her belt before to fell on the ground. She holds him with ease with only one hand.

“Weakling! You can`t even stand on your own feet!”
“A sabre in the guts is always fatal for my kind. I`m alive so Qaggoth-Jeag still care for me. Do think about it.”
Her face twists in anger but she wasn`t blind for the obvious and she sends one Tenari for food. Soon he returns with a Fierdsvain male, holding food and water.
“Here it is, little creature! Don`t bother me any more!”
Rambulhwa took the supplies and went back into the cell. He took a morcel and fills the cup with water before to reach Qaggoth-Amas`Ne again. Just as the first time, the water wakes her and she drank it eagerly, swallowing the meat after that.
“MORE!”
“Not right now. Wait a little and you will eat more. Or your stomach will not hold it …”
She tried to grab his throat but she was so weak he manages to hold her hand.
“Not yet. Later.”
“BLOOD!”
Rambulhwa lift her scarred palm and with one of her rough long nails slices his left wrist and press it to her lips. She sucked it as if dying from thirst person. Shortly he felt great weakness and tried to pull his hand. She holds it.

“Release me, if you want me to remove your chains.”
Shocked, she released him. Instead to run toward the far end of the cell, he just took the thong from his neck and tied it over the small wound.
“I can. And I will. Tell me why you are here.”
“You lie! I will feed with your flesh and …”
“It will not be enough for you to recover. And they will torture you again, and then again. But I will be released from here. If you want to be released too, you must do something for me.”
“Lesser creature! You can do nothing!”
A small key appers into the hand of the little creature and Qaggoth-Amas`Ne saw with great surprise how he unlock her chains and began to massage her worn wrists.
“Don`t do something stupid as runnig toward the gate. It will hurt more. Stay calm and speak to me. Why are you here?”
She slowly sat and look upon him from above.
“Are you her spy?”
“Why would she need to spy on you?”

She left him to touch her arms for a time before to speak again. The smell of the meat in the far end of the cell was maddening.
“What year is now?”
“It is the Year of the Horse. I don`t know how you measure the time. One Tenari told me, that it is the 362 year from the Breach.”
She fell on the floor.
“Four centuries!”
“What?”
“I`m her prisoner for 406 years. I told her, that the Invasion will be a disaster for her. She …”
“… didn`t took it well. Figures.”
“YOU KNOW HER!”
“Not yet. But I know a few kings. Arrogant bastards who forgot that the graveyards are full with irreplaceable people.”
She snorts wih the first spark of humor from centuries.
“Yeah, almost the perfect description of her. I came to warn her and she throw me in a cell, tortured me …”
“But how could you possibly know that her … invasion will be a disaster?”

“I`m … a Seer. I see the shadows of the future. Some of it. They shifts constantly, nothing is certain, but I see some of it. She wanted to know how to win. I told her that she must kill the male she desire most for her bond-mate. And she … torn my wings … and then …”
“That bad, eh? Well, it could be better.”
“Uh?”
“I think that I just killed her husband. Or mate. Or whatever you calling it.”
“So she won. She may kill me now. Finally!”
“Dream of it.” The little creature brought her another small cup of water and she drank it eagerly. “She can`t take Pendor unless I gave it to her. And I will not just give it to her for nothing, oh no!”
Qaggoth-Amas`Ne froze.
“YOU want to give Pendor to HER!?”
“For a price, yes.”
“What could you possibly want from her! She is a cheater, a lyer, a despicable worm and …”

“… a beauty!”
She gasped in terror while pictures of possible future began to flash to her inner sight.
“You want … HER??? YOU – a lesser creature dare to dream for a princess of Baatetsu!!!”
“What else a man could possibly want from her?”
“But .. but … but she is a Baatetsu princess!”
“Who care for stupid titles? Did you see what thighs she has? Marvelous round arse, flat muscular stomach, large round tits and face of a goddess! She will be mine!”
“You are mad! She will eat you alive!”
“You are just jealous! She just signs a little contract. She can`t harm me just like that!”
Another flash came to her and she gasped.
“So she throws you here hoping that I will swallow you whole! And I almost did it!”
His little face wrinkles against her.
“So that`s why the guards were so nervous! That wasn`t nice. And I just tried to help!”
“YOU ARE JUST …”
He interrupts her with tired voice.
“ … yes, yes, a lesser creature and so on and so forth. Well, unless you want to stay a prisoner for another four centuries I suggest you to help me! Or she will die tomorrow and you will die soon after her.”

“Tomorrow?”
“I told to my people to kill everyone here unless I came back in three days. From what I heard from the guards, it is my second day here. So you may help me to jump her or to die with her.”
She look right into his eyes.
“And you will die too!”
He snorted entertained.
“D`Shar warrior doesn`t fear death.”
She thought for some time. Was it possible to be true? Was it another vile torture created from her evil sister? But in the end, what she had left to lose?
“And if I help you?”
“Jeag will have Pendor and she will be happy. I will have her and I will be happy. You will help us to remain happy with your … skills, or visions, or whatever and you will be free and probably happy too. Surely happier than sitting in a stinking hole for another four centuries. But it is up for you to decide.”

The very fact that a lesser creature dared to call a Baatetsu princess on her name only invoke shivers on her spine. But she suffered too much to care for that any more.
“Maybe there is a way.” Qaggoth-Amas`Ne close her eyes for a moment. “Qaggoth-Jeag is a fanatical devotee to her goddess Erida Occisor. If you want to have … her … you must shatter that fate of hers first.”
“Just that?”
She felt a spark of anger.
“You want something unheard in the whole Baatetsu history! What did you expected?”
“Something harder. Fine, I`ll do it.”
His indifference made her to stare foolishly at him. The creature was mad!
“It is impossible!”
“Do you want to bet?”
“I have nothing!”
“Oh, but you have knowledge that I don`t have. I want to know how to please a Baatetsu female and you will told me how to do it.”

“And what you could bet against me?”
“The other part of the meat over there.”
“I can take it myself!”
The chains locked on her wrists again and the lesser creature quickly steps away from her reach.
“I`m trying to help you, and you already made an attempt to cheat me. You are just the same as your sister.”
“LESSER CREATURE! RELEASE ME IMMEDIATELY!”
The creature raises the key with one hand.
“Well, if you want to be that way, I`ll return the key to the guards outside.”
Her hearts fell down to her toes. She almost felt the blades again.
“Don`t do it! I command you …”
“Have it your way.”
The creature knocks on the door. Qaggoth-Amas`Ne screamed.
“OK, OK, you won!”

The door opens and one guard look inside.
“What is it this time? I have a headache already!”
She swets looking at the creature who spoke calm.
“Do you want the screams to stop?”
“Of course!”
“Then go outside, find the man who cut the captive outside and tell him “I heard”.
The guard looks at the creature with suspiciousness.
“And it will stop?”
“Yes. And then go to princess Qaggoth-Jeag and tell her that she want to speak with me about her attempt to cheat from our contract.”
“I will not do something THAT foolish.”
“Then she will die tomorrow. And all of you too. It is your decision now.”
Before he was able to respond the lesser creature pulls the door.

The palace door open with screeching and the warriors outside hold their weapons. A lone black-skinned demon came outside with his weapon sheated and closes to Akyola, who continue to cut his victim without the slightest concern for their tension. A strong hand with many fingers holds his right shoulder and he look up toward one dark demonic face. The demon spoke on his language.
“I heard.”
Akyola nods, put his knife deep into Surahal`s throath, cutting his screams then jump over his new horse and rode away. The demon shook his head in surprise and went back in the palace. The gate closes behind him.
Behtud went in haste into the warlord`s yurt and bows to Shavaar Bey.
“Bey, Akyola is here. He seems … strange.”
“Invite him here.”
Akyola came and bows to him. Then he began to make some signs. Shavaar looks at Sharak. She knew that way of communication.
“He says that a demon came from the large stone yurt and holds his shoulder.” Sharak suddenly stand and close to Akyola.
“Are you sure, completely sure?”
The thin tribesman nods with stone face. She felt guilt. The man suffered so much. He wasn`t deserved her mistrust.
“I`m sorry, I needed to hear it again.”
She turns toward her father and the tensed faces of her sisters.
“The demon said to him “I heard”.
They all stand up and Shavaar Bey gave an order.
“The horns to sound for “Assembly”. The army to be ready for assault of the palace at my order! GO!"

How much a life is worth?

The black-skinned Tenari bows deep.
“What are your orders, my Mistress?”
Qaggoth-Jeag continues to look down toward the horde, gathering around her palace. Her talons closed and she hissed.
“Bring it here!”
“Yes, my Mistress.”
Soon they brought it into the hall and she was forced to breathe its stench.
“Tell them to put their weapons down!”
“First I want to hear an explanation about the prison you thrown me into. And that monster inside it who tried to eat me alive.”
The lesser Tenari translated with weak voice, expecting punishment. Yet she only took a deep breath.
“I didn`t …”
“Yes, you did.”
The interruption shocked her and the creature uses the opportunity to continue.
“That`s why the guards are so nervious and there are only a few of them. Yours most trusted ones who already considering leaving your services due to withnessess to your treacherous nature. You are at a hair distance away from openly breaking the most holy act amongst your kind – a contract, and YOU will lose your position, your power and your life. If you weren`t THAT beautiful, I`d kill you myself.”

“WHAT??”
The lesser creature continue with indifference.
“But to such a beauty I can forgive much. Kiss me, and I will forget about the lack of decency.”
While she barely started to open her mouth, Gaduilm touched her left arm and shook his head.
“If he is ready to accept a boon from you for … that … “
“Another word, and I`ll kill all of you right here!”
Gaduilm hold his ground in front of her fury.
“My family will avenge my death. If I die now, the news of your sacrilege will spreads faster than the wind. I know you well, my Mistress.”
“And you will betray me??”
He look at her shock and tried not to say too much in front of the others.
“Our society is governed by laws. You went too far this time and came too close to the border. Who will serve to a cheater?” The smaller demon waited for a few long moments before to add. “Is that a betrayal, Mistress?”

Qaggoth-Jeag tried to accept it with some dignity.
“Turn around! I don`t want to look at me while …”
After some time Rambulhwa manage to came to himself and spoke.
“I`m happy that you are happy.” Rambulhwa continue without a pause. “But now is the time to speak with your goddess.”
Qaggoth-Jeag came to herself.
“You went too far, little morcel!”
“I have a lot of war captives. If you don`t want them, I can handle all of them to the Snake Cult.”
In a heathbeat Qaggoth-Jeag spoke with a different tone.
“How many?”
“Tens of thousands.”
“And what do you want for them?”
“We may discuss it with the goddess.”

Shortly, the ritual was ready and a transparent image of Erida Occisor appears.
“So the lesser creature wants to bargain with me. My, my …”
The goddess sat over something invisible to the others and cross her long hands.
“Oh, well, I`m bored enough so I may spent a moment to hear your plea, little creature. Speak.”
Rambulhwa bows deep.
“Divine One, I`d like to offer you three thousands humans to spend a night with one of your female servants, named Qaggoth-Jeag.”
Gaduilm translated, trembling in horror. Qaggoth-Jeag tried to spek, but found that she was unable even to blink.
“You will offer that amount of blood for a night with my servant Qaggoth-Jeag?” Something close to curiosity appears at the goddesses face. “Why?”
“I like her as a male likes a female. There is no other reason, Divine One.”
“And the other creatures you lead will not object when I take their lives? Aren`t they against the so called “blood sacrifices”?”

The soft voice of the goddess glide their ears almost as a physical touch.
“I will give you no warriors of mine but war captives. By our laws and customs they belong to the winner – to me, and I can do with them whatever I want.”
The goddess consider his statement briefly before to cut it off.
“FIVE thousands!”
Gaduilm heard the tribesman`s answer and began to tremble so visibly, that he wasn`t able to speak properly. Erida turns to him surprised.
“Speak!”
“I … I …I ….” Gaduilm knelt, shivering in terror.
“Translate every single word to me, slave!”
“He said: “She is pretty, but she isn`t THAT beautiful as yourself.” Forgive me, Divine One, he said that, I only translated it!”
He bowed to the floor and froze.

Erida Occisor laughs.
“So, will you offer five thousands war captives for … me?”
The small creature however looks at her impassively.
“If somebody dares to offer such a bargain, I`ll cut off his head. You are not a slave.”
She continue to smile at him.
“What actually do you want from me, little creature?”
“Immortality for me and those few who I value most.”
“And what was Azi Dahaka`s answer for that plea of yours?”
Rambulhwa didn`t hesitate.
“She wasn`t willing to do it for my chosen companions. So I came to you.”
“And if I refuse?”
“I`ll kill all the captives and then I`ll fight against you to the last. You will have this continent one way or another, but as a wasteland. If you want more, you must give more. I heard that your followers love to bargain. They must have learned it from someone.”

“I taught them, yes.” The goddess`s illusionary body walks back and forth. “Perhaps I`ll offer you what you seek. What is your offer?”
“A thousand war captives for me, five hundreds for my companions.”
“Your offer is too low. Ten thousands per one!”
“Your price is too high. What will you gain from a desert without any servants?”
The goddess stop and look at him from above.
“Do you have any idea, mortal, how long I`ve been waiting?”
“No. But if you help me, I`ll help you too.”
Her eyes hold his.
“How many slaves do you have?”
“I have 20 000 slaves and I heard that you may offer what I want most. So I came to you, Divine One.”
She felt the thrill again. 20 000 lives, ready to strengthen her!
“And you didn`t offered the same deal to your own god?”

“His offer wasn`t good enough for me.” The lesser creature doesn`t even blinks. “I think that you can offer me more.”
Erida Occisor sighed and tried to take the best from the situation.
“For a 1000 slaves delivered to me alive I can make you immortal. But you will serve me. There is no way I can allow you to serve another.”
The lesser creature thought over it.
“I and those who I choose will become immortals. They will serve me, and I will serve you. You will thread us as your servants and you`ll feed us, pay us and not send us to fight when there is no real chance to win. And we will serve you faithfully.”
When they agreed upon all the terms of the contract and Erida ordered Gaduilm to compose and write it over parchment. After they signed it, Rambulhwas spoke again.
“May I ask you something personal, Divine One?”

Still a little euphoric from the rich harvest, Erida responds magnanimously.
“You may ask. I may or may not respond, however.”
“When was the last time you kissed someone?”
The question didn`t surprised her. The males were predictable creatures after all.
“I fail to see how it is of any significance to you, sla … ah, my servant.”
“I didn`t said that it is of any significance. I said that it is a personal question.”
“Indeed.” Erida`s transparent illusionary finger traced the nose of her new servant. “You wonder what is it to touch a goddess, are you not, sla … my servant?”
“I kissed Qaggoth-Jeag and I like it a lot. But …”
“But unless I am able to walk in Pendor in flesh, not only as an illusion, you will never understand, little one.” Erida smiles as his eyes thinned. “It`s been a while. I slept for a long time. Deep slumber without any dreams. And when I was awaken, I was still separated from my faithful ones.”

“Can you join us at least for some time?”
The question surprised her. She didn`t expected it. And before she asks why he is so interested she understood that she knew the answer.
“You still dream to touch me, little one? Maybe there was a way for you to do it. But you already spent all you had to bargain.”
“Maybe. Maybe not.” The little creature spoke evenly. “I asked you about one of your female servants, no?”
“And I was ready to give her to you. But you no longer have …” She stopped. “You have more captives! GIVE THEM TO ME! I COMMAND YOU!”
“You can`t request that of a servant. Whatever is mine is mine alone.”
She opens her mouth to order his execution then another thought came into her mind.
“You didn`t said that you won`t give them to me, only that I can`t request them from you. What do you want? Jeag? Give me another 5000 slaves and you may do with her whaterver you want!”
Rambulhwa look at the frozen demoness with indifference.
“I`ll give you 3000 for her.”

Erida Occisor recalled their previous conversation and smiles.
“She isn`t as beautiful as me.”
Her new servant nods in agreement.
“I`ll take her, if you allow me, but the other Tenari and Baatetsu will not accept me for your servant, unless they see your generous goodwill to me for themselves. So I`m ready to offer you another 5000 slaves for your kiss.”
“Even a brief walk in Pendor will require no less than 100 lives!”
Rambulhwa wasn`t impressed.
“I`ll hunt and bring that many brigands. And I`ll send horsemen to bring the captives where you choose. When everything is ready, we will let you know.”
The goddess looks at him thoughtful.
“Tell me, little creature, does the lives of your own kind is worth nothing to you?”
The black eyes met hers impassively.

“Sometimes the life is cheap, sometimes is worth a lot. It is a stock like any other.”
Erida giggles quietly. The little creature was funny.
“And how much do you think your own life is worth, little one?”
His voice remained calm as his face.
“I do not think about that, Divine One. I do know. My life was rated on 18 denari.”

Court under a different sky

The double door to Qaggoth-Jeag`s personal chamber opens, and a tall Baatetsu warrior in full armor came with steady pace, with weapon in hand, looking carefully left and right. The first thing he notices was the carefully arranged head collection on rough wooder shelves nailed all over the walls. His eyes followed the multitude of faces from different races, frozen in their last agonizing moment. His gaze moves further. Then froze. On a specially made couch layed a naked Baatetsu female, her body clearly visible for his sight. Her wings were spread over two low sofas especially made for the purspose. While the warrior`s sight was pulled toward her finely round arse a movement caught his eyes and he began to turn right, his sabre pointed in low strike already. Then he saw that it was only a bare-chested slave, placing some balm over Qaggoth-Jeag`s right wing. The slave began rubbing the balm into her wing and the warrior lowers his weapon. He stares the slave shortly while he lowers himself behind the couch and then appears again with another handful of balm that he put it over his mistress`s back. And then again. Everything seems calm and in the spacious room there was no furniture high enough to hide anyone, so the warrior turn back toward the door.

Qaggoth-Jeag sensed the change into the pressure over her back and opens her eyes. It wasn`t painful – after all, the strongest of this lesser race were no stronger than little Baatetsu children, but she notices it and barely moved her head so she could see the slave`s face with her third eye. The slave`s face was just as stern and expressionless as always, yet the thin slits for eyes were wrinkled in tenstion and the lips were separated, revealing white teeth. Barely noticeable growling came from the slave`s throath.
The thought that the lowliest slave could possibly try to frighten a Baatetsu male with the typical for the males grinning and snarling toward an opponent from her kind was so ridiculous, that Qaggoth-Jeag began to giggle unable to get rid of the picture that her imagination was more than ready to create. With another eye she notices how the newcomer wasn`t able to separate his eyes from her for another long moment and only after that he began to turn himself toward the door.
While he began to turn, the slave lowers himself again and this time instead with another handful of balm, his hand holds a long rusty-red glaive. The slave ran toward the Baatetsu warrior with weapon in hand.

His bare feets issued no sound over the carpets covering the stone floor, but the demon warrior heard him, or perhaps sensed him somehow when he approaches. Well trained and experiences as he was, he began to turn back while his hand draws the long black sabre from the scabbard and simultaneously with that performing a slashing strike at the direction of the presense.
And if another Baatetsu was behind his back, he would have sliced him on two. In this particular case however his opponent was a lot shorter and manages to avoid his slash. Seeing the point to his opponent`s strike the slave just lower himself slightly on his right and swing with all of his strength. The blade caught the demon warrior just under the helmet and black blood splashing like a fountain. Pulled from the strength of his own strike the demon warrior staggered uncertainly with half-sliced throath while the slave performed full rotation and with wide swing hit the demon`s neck again in such a way, that half of the blade sunk into the warrior`s backbone. The demon died straight on his feet, before his body to start its final fell toward the carpet covered floor.
Another demon come trough the door and stares as the first one hit the floor. The slave issued wordless, bloodthirsty roar and swing the glave toward the second demon, who just began to reach for his sabre.

“Hold.”
The order was clear and the slave step back still holding the weapon in readiness.
“Come back.”
The slave throws one last bloody gaze toward the second demon, who stood in readiness with sabre and shield and then swing toward the fallen. Two more strikes, landed with all of his strength were necessary to separate the head from the massive neck. The slave removed the helmet, took the head and bowed to his mistress. She carefully observed the face and the marks on the forehead under the first pair of horns.
“Utreehgit-Natgurveed, Swornblade of the Faithful Blades. Not bad, not bad at all.”
“Thank you, mistress.”
“You may resume.”
The slave put the severed head on a low table, put the weapon back on the floor, took another handful of balm and resume his duty.

“Daddy!” Qaggoth-Jeag spoke to the smaller demon. “It is such a surprise! I haven`t seen you for years!”
The older demon look around, looking for an ambush.
“What does that mean, daughter? Your slave attacked me!”
The slave hissed with spite on rough Baatetsu language.
“This is my mistress’s inner chamber, not a whorehouse! No one can enter without her explicit permission!”
“It dares to speak!?” Lorgdgaesh-Chetoor stares in disbelieve.
“What kind of father will permit to all of his warriors to stare at his naked daughter in her own yurt? I`ll …”
Qaggoth-Jeag snaps two long fingers and the slave press his lips together.
“It is an annoyance most of the time, yet it has a point, Daddy.”
Lorgdgaesh-Chetoor put the blade back into his scabbard.
“I demand its execution!”

She spoke with low voice.
“You are in my domain, Daddy, storming into my personal chamber. And you left your goon to stare at my arse at his leisure, as if I`m some whore from the lesser races. It isn`t … polite.”
Yet he wasn`t impressed.
“You have far bigger problems than that, little one, and I already stretched the little influence I have over Shaal to the limits! Your invasion turns into a disaster! Your mother learned that you lost your armies from the warriors of the lesser creatures! Your commander is slain and your own palace is under siege! You are summoned to give explanation!”
The smaller Baatetsu nerviously began to pace back and forth, gesturing with each step.
“Engeddu-Gaatsekth, Reshmdrut-Ableddu and Brotmhesh-Ilmenekkad were practically camping at my gates from the moment they learned that you captured their daughters. They will consider lending me a hand only if their children are still alive, which I told them tenfold that it is hardly possible! Even I heard about the Edali-spiders! And if you feed the spiders with them, I won`t be surprised even a bit if they openly oppose us and petition together for your execution to your mother!”
The male demon stop, finally noticing her indifference and knelt in front of her.

“I`m talking not about losing your meager domain, little one! I`m talking about losing YOUR HEAD! I did all that I could for you, but this time … To lose an entire invasion force and to achieve nothing … “ The face twisted in painful grimace. “I don`t wants to lose you, little one, but I`m out of options. I can`t help you any more! I warned you a hundreds of times that your Benazi pet will be the death of you! I told you …”
Qaggoth-Jeag look at his face with genuine interest. The males were so emotionally attached that it made them so easy to manipulate. She reached her hand forward to touch his chin.
“Daddy, don`t left your goons to stare at my arse ever again! Or I will be very angry at you.”
He stares at her.
“Are you deaf? I`m telling you …”
“I want you to do something for me.”
“Yes, of course, what is it?”
“I want you to arrange an audience with my mother at her earliest convenience. I … want to discuss a personal matter with her as soon as possible.”

“Personal matter!?” Lorgdgaesh-Chetoor jumps on his feet and shouted with unrestrained fury. “Your life is on a stake and you are capable to think only for a personal matter? What is wrong with you, little one? Benazi family already knows that you left their prodigy son to die! They all want your head on a spike!”
“I could hardly care less what a Benazi wants.” Qaggoth-Jeag sighed and spoke to her slave. “Bring me my armor.”
“I suggest the light red robe, mistress. It will suit you more.”
The slave uses simple words and had rough accent but its words were easily understandable. Lorgdgaesh-Chetoor began to wonder where and how it learned the demonic language. He never saw his face before.
“Fine. After all who is better judge to my appearance than a male, eh?”
“My mistress is wise indeed. You will be the most precious appearance in the court for ages.”
He went to a brightly painted chest and brough the suggested robe. But before to give it to his mistress he stands between Lorgdgaesh-Chetoor and his daughter and gnarl spitefully.
“Turn back! You are her father, not her lover!”

His jaws lowered in shock, but she doesn`t react so he press his teeth together and decide to play along … for now.
When he turns his back, the slave spreads the robe and helps his mistress to get dressed.
“Lead the way, Daddy.”
He led her toward the mirror in the basement. When they were there, he sends the signal and when he received an answer he waive a hand. The mirror`s surface waivers and reveal the image of large door made from black metal. He steps forward. The gate guards suddenly trembled and he wrinkles for there was no reason for that but went further. They walks forward in the Queen`s court, followed from dark looks and barely restrained murmurs. When they reached the podium where Qaggoth-Shaal waiting for them, her guardians came forward, weapons in hands and he began to think that she was so pissed that she will order them killed at the very place. Yet she raises her hand and all murmurs faded in an instant and the guards returned to their places.

Qaggoth-Shaal looks at her thirteen consort and their daughter sitting on the low bench from carved red wood. Delicate woodcarvings from the same wood covered the walls behind her. Despite her dreadful situation, Qaggoth-Jeag wore only light red robe that only made her feminine advantages more … noticeable and was accompanied only from her favourite Tenari slave and … The presence of her second companion made her to shiver in dark anticipation. The little creature, that she recognize from the reports and from presented captives as “human” was small in size, but it wore roughly skinned Baatetsu hide and hold into its tiny arm the polearm Lorgdgaesh-Chetoor was given to Jeag into her childhood years. Bent on the blade it wore the head of Benazi prodigy son, Mreedvaardu, she recalls his name. She throws a quick glance at her left and saw that all members of Benazi family had difficulties not to speak without her permission. Their allies seemed not so confident as only a few moments ago.
When they close to her podium Lorgdgaesh-Chetoor, Qaggoth-Jeag and Gaduim knelt, but the fourth creature only bows deeply. Murmurs came from her court but she ignores it and permits them to stand.

“Qaggoth-Jeag, you are summoned to my court under the accusation of incompetence and failure of the Pendor invasion, that was under your personal leadership. Benazi family also accusing you for the death of their son, Mreedvaardu, who was left to die while there was still option for his resurrection. Three others powerful Families accusing you for the death of their children: Qaggoth-Igae, Qaggoth-Esal and Qaggoth-Semal from Edali-spiders, which is unacceptable for their status and positions.”
She pauses, but Qaggoth-Jeag seemed unconcerned from the dreadful accusations. “It seems that she is ready to accept her fate, after all.” She thought saddened but allowed herself only a stern face and continues. “Do you have anything to say in your defense?”
“I do wonder who fills your ears with so many lies that you seem ready to believe them so quickly without any proof, my Queen.”
Qaggoth-Jeag looks around.
“Do I need to guess, or you will summon the accuser too, my Queen?”

Qaggoth-Shaal`s eyes thinned but she waives to Benazi-Amaunnalior to step forward. Brotmhesh-Ilmenekkad, Engeddu-Gaatsekth and Reshmdrut-Ableddu also stepped forward with dark expressions.
“Just as I thought. Benazi. And who send to you the delations about the other three Families? Let me guess – another Benazi or their allies?” Qaggoth-Jeag looks at the other three Elders. “Am I right, Elders?”
Brotmhesh-Ilmenekkad responds first with fierce determination.
“Whatever my daughter did to you, to use Edali-spiders is too much. I stand at Benazi side for this. The humiliation is too much for loyal subject of our Queen! I stand for my accusation and the others stands for me too!”
“You and only you are responsible for the disaster in Pendor!” The Benazi Elder spoke slowly with carefully measured words. “And when you saw that your failure is beyond forgiveness you killed my prodigy son out of pure spite. I stand for my accusations!”
“And who will believe to your lies, you old schemer?”
Qaggoth-Shaal interrupts them before the things to turn ugly.

“If you have something to say, Qaggoth-Jeag, speak now!”
She bows deeply.
“I came to report for my success, my Queen, but if you aren`t interested to hear it now, I can wait.”
Qaggoth-Shaal wasn`t amused.
“I have enough reports from reliable sources supporting all the accusations. It isn`t a laughable matter!”
“Very … selected reports, as I can see, my Queen.” Qaggoth-Jeag issued short laughter and her face turn stern and cruel. “Very well, I will indulge you about these pathetic “accusations”. First: Despite the long rivalries between our families I trusted a member of Benazi enough to make him commader of my invasion force. And despite having great advantages plus magical support Benazi-Mreedvaardu failed to defeat an army entirely from lesser creature. Yet I accept that the failure is mine, for I underestimated his incompetence when I made him commander.”
Benazi-Amaunnalior interrupt her.
“As a leader of the invasion the failure is yours! And you left him to die to cover your failure so he could not reveal your schemes!”

Qaggoth-Shaal spoke with low voice.
“It isn`t your turn yet. Be silent!”
Benazi-Amaunnalior froze. Qaggoth-Jeag laugh again and continue.
“He failed me and instead to kill him I gave him the chance to redeem himself in battle. Yet his fighting skills happen to be equally low as his tactics and he lost the duel and his life. There were about 100 000 withnessess from different races, so it will be easy enough to receive true reports, if you care to ask, my Queen. Yet I accept the blame for his failure as his superior.”
“So you admit your failure to the court?” Benazi-Amaunnalior asked with visible difficulties to hold himself.
“I do.” Qaggoth-Jeag bows to their Queen.
Qaggoth-Shaal spoke with stern expression and grave voice.
“You know the punishment for …”
“I said that I admit my failure to find a competent Commander of the Invasion and Champion. I said nothing about the Invasion, my Queen. Pendor is already mine and I came to put it into your legs.”
“Explain yourself!”

“Of course, my Queen.” Qaggoth-Jeag bows again. “Second: The terms of the duel were clear – “whoever dies first – lose” so he lost. And Benazi family had nothing to accuse me for.”
Gaduilm bows and offer a long parchment to the Queen.
“The terms are written in accordance with our laws from both sides. Here is the contract itself.”
Qaggoth-Shaal quickly read it and had no other choice but to confirm it. It was signed even from Mreedvaardu himself.
“So what about the invasion?”
“I lost the battle, for I placed an incompetent commander, which is true. I trusted a warrior with lesser skills that I could anticipate and I lost second time for my Champion – a Baatetsu from Benazi family lost a duel with lesser creature.” Qaggoth-Jeag pointed toward the small creature behind her, dressed in rough leather. “This creature defeated my invasion force led from a Benazi commander. This creature also defeated Benazi-Mreedvaardu in duel to death and now it wears Mreedvaadu`s skin as personal armor to show its achievements.”
Amidsts the uproar Qaggoth-Jeag looks right into Qaggoth-Shaal`s eyes and spoke.

“This creature conquered the continent of Pendor as its Hero, in accordance with an ancient local prophesy. And then it came to me and begged to become my slave.”
Qaggoth-Shaal raises a hand and deadly silence fills the hall. She lifts a long taloned finger and called the small creature. It looks at Qaggoth-Jeag and after her brief nod it close to her. She uses her magical Sight to observe it for a long time.
“Impossible!.” She said finally. “I can detect no trace of your mind spell over it.”
“What mind spell?” Qaggoth-Jeag`s lips curved in thin smile. “It came to me alone, by its own free will. It kissed my tail and begged to be accepted for my personal slave. I was … reluctant to accept its pleas, and after he torn Benazi-Mreedvaardu`s throath I started to consider it. It possesses Pendor, for it fought for it and won. And it fought for my favour too and won against Benazi-Mreedvaardu. Third: Thanks to my father, my sisters are very much alive and ready to testify that Benazi-Mreedvaardu captured them and forced them to act against me under the thread to be given at the Edali-spiders. Other Baatetsu, Tenari and lesser creatures involved into this Benazi plot against Qaggoth Family are ready to testify at your command, my Queen.”

Back
Top Bottom