[DISCUSSION] Tales of Pendor (V3.7)

Users who are viewing this thread

Strength or agility

The warlord lowered himself in the last moment and the huge axe move over his head, cutting a lock of his hair. He tried to slash at his opponent`s legs, but Sigismund was deceptively fast for his size and step aside, already swinging his axe in another attack. Rambulhwa raise his polearm to parry, and the force of impact push him on the ground, almost breaking his wrists.
“Avoid, don`t try to parry.” Sigismund spoke while striking at Rambulhwa`s legs.
Rambulhwa manage to roll over the ground and jump on his legs in time to face another savage slash. He turns left, avoiding the blade … and the huge fist hit his chest. Even with the scale mail, he lost his breath and fell on the ground. The next slash splits the hard ground next to his head.
“And don`t forget, that I can crush you with my bare hands too. So stay out of my range and use your longer weapon for your advantage.” Sigismund looks the fallen warlord, gasping for air. “And if you face an opponent like me in close quarter, leave to open ground and face him there. Or you are dead.”

The warlord`s bodyguards, and the soldiers from his personal squad carefully watched the whole training. All of them were experienced warriors, hand picked from Rambulhwa himself. The most savage and with the most dreadful glory. While the bodyguards always stood at his side, Rambulhwa often used his chosen warriors to chase deserters, especially dangerous figutives and to kill uncomfortable for him persons.
No one gave him a hand, and it took him some time to regain his breath enough to rise on his feet alone.
“I`ll remember that.”
“I know that you`ll do. You are smart enough to accept a good advice, when I give it to you.” Sigismund took a piece of cloth from his belt and cleans his dire axe.
Covered with sweat, the warlord removes his armour and went to the river. The rest followed him, exept the sentries. Sigismund slowly began to clean himself.

“Some fools claims, that the fight is like a dance. That the positions must flows from one to another like water and such noncence. Such morons have never been in real battle and read all about fighting from parchments. But in the parchments you`ll never grew tired, you never bleed or starve. Everything is so clean, as the heroes never ****. And always, the good hero overwhelms the hordes of the villain alone without even breaking a sweat.”
Sigismund took the bucket, givet to him from another warrior and turn it over his head.
“Sara loves such songs, for it makes her famous all over Pendor, but I`m afraid, that it leaves wrong impression about the fighting.”
“You are right.” Rambulhwa spoke with quite voice, while massaging his chest slowly. Large bruise covered a significant part of his chest already.
“I know.” The huge Fiersdvain gave him the soap. “I told you how to deal with Valdis, did I not? There are some things that I know better than our other friends.”

“It is good to have you on my side.” Rambulhwa took the soap with croacked smile. “I`d hate to be your enemy.”
“Is that why you keep me around even when I disagrees with you or beat your sorry D`Shar arse?” Sigismund spoke with casual tone, but he watching carefully Rambulhwa`s face with his peripherial sight.
“It is one of the reasons, yes.” Rambulhwa confirms it. “But I also love to receive part from your glory, oh great and mighty conqueror of Laria.”
The giant man snorted cheerfully.
“You are almost as renown as myself, that is true. Ediz still wonders, why you allow us to shadow you with our personal glory. But I do know the reason.”
“Is that so?”
“Yes. You prefer to have powerful and independent warriors on your side, even if they are stronger and smarter than yourself. Some warlords, like Syla Uzaz, are the strongest into their warband. But you will become the Hero, while he will not, despite the fact, that he is better warlord than you.”

Rambulhwa smiles broadly. It was warm, friendly smile that change his usually expressionless face in such a way, that Sigi remind to himself, that he kept different behavior with those, close to him.
“You play the stupid brute role, but I doubt that even Sara suspects how cunning and smart you are.”
“It is not that hard. Everybody wants to believe, that the strong men are stupid. So they could at least feel themselves better at something.” Sigi turn another bucket of water over his head. “I can live my life relying only to my muscles, that is true.”
He gave the warlord another piercing gaze.
“But since you return from Singal, you began to train hard with me. Do you expect some adversary, who is much like me?”
Rambulhwa nods. Sigi wasn`t a fool but he was trustworthy.

“I do. But I do believe, that he will be even stronger than you.”
“You have no chance to defeat me in single combat on foot. So if he is better than me, you are doomed. You need many men to attack him from different sides and to hope, that at least one of them will live long enough to strike a mortal blow.”
“I know.” Rambulhwa`s voice was still calm as the water in their feet. “But I must do it.”
“Why?” The giant spoke bluntly. “You are almost the Hero already. Most of the strongest warlords are on your side, the rest are too few and have unsignificant number of warriors to oppose you.”
Sigismund holds the shoulders of his warlord.
“My friend, the real life isn`t a bard`s song. In the real fight the size and the strength does matter more than mobility and agility. Fighting with me, you need to be lucky with your every strike, while I need only one good hit, and you will be dead. That is why so few women choose to become warriors. The chaos of the melee gives too small chances for avoiding the enemy`s strikes and most warriors rely on brute force, like me. Well trained and strong man will always defeat well trained but small man. But you will never be as strong as me. I`m taller, heavier, well trained, my hands are longer than yours and I`m a lot stronger than you. You can not even parry my strikes for it will break your wrists, if not your weapon too. Accept it and fight on your horse. Then you will have a chance.”

The warlord looks at him shortly, considering his words, then obviously took a decision.
“I`ll challenge an adversary, who is much stronger than me, someone like Maltise. Probably he is more skilled than me too. I know, that the chances aren`t on my side, but I`m out of options. It is my last chance.”
“For what?” Sigi`s face wrinkles in pure confusion. “There is no chance, that Rane will hold us any more, Valdis will …” He shake his head and turn himself aside, looking at the bodyguards, splashing each other a few steps away. “You never tolds us, that your goal is to be recognized for “The Hero” from Madigan`s prophesy. We just assumed that it was your goal. But you are a savage tribesman. The only prophesy you believe in is “Kill your enemy, rape his women, enslave his children and loot his possessions.”
“And return to your yurt alive.” Rambulhwa adds with quite voice, smiling at Sharak, who sneak at Sharaa and pull her under the water. The others began to laugh at them. “I do want something more. And I will take it by the traditional way – trough combat.”

“Since I saw how she broke Syla`s warhorse with bare hands I understood, that you had no chance against Maltise.” The huge brute shook his head. “You led her to believe that you were almost dead. It is highly unlikely that the same trick will do twice.”
Sharas approaches with stern face.
“What are you talking about so secretly? So mush hush-hush made me nervous. Are you talking about us?”
“I just asked Sigi, if he could really raise a woman above the ground without using his hands.” Rambulhwa smiles at her, but she didn`t even blink.
Sigismund fell on his back, splashing both with large streams of water. When he regain his breath, his face was completely sore.
“Sara told you even that, is she not? This bloody woman will be the death of me! She couldn`t hold her mouth shut, even if her life depends from it. And now … a lot more than just a few women from our warband are willing to try. Or at least to have a child from me.” Sigi gave his warlord a dirty gaze. “Is that why you sent me to lead Laria`s assault, eh? To get rid of me? You`ve always wanted to be large and strong as me, but you`ll never be!"

Sharas saw, that Rambulhwa`s face turn red and twisted in anger for a short moment, then he just nod.
“You are right.”
Sharas look at Sigismund from up to down slowly then spit in the water.
“You can have half of the Omen Seekers, but not a woman like me! But you are too stupid to see it!”
Sigi refuse to gave up ground.
“At least I enjoy my life. What about you? Still unmarried and without any children on your age? You don`t look so bad, so what is your problem? I can free a night for you, if you ask me politely.”
Her hand moved to the place where usually her sabre was, then she recall, that she was naked. She spit over Sigismund.
“Only in your dreams!”
“Don`t wait too long, or you`ll become too wrinkled for … that!”

“You still have hopes to touch me, mindless fool. But it will never happen!”
She turns back and joined her sisters. Sigi followed her with lustful gaze.
“Be careful with that one, my friend. She is reeeal trouble.”
Unpleasant grimace twisted Rambulhwa`s features.
“Surely a quarter from my scars are from her.”
The big Fiersdvain`s eye thinned in painful grimace.
“I feel sorrow for you, my friend. This woman hates you.”
The warlord sat in the shallows and began to massage his legs. The wounds still hurts after hard training or after a lot of efforts.
“Since I`ve become Shavaar`s apprentice, a lot of people began to hate me. I can live with that.”

Last edited:
The rules are rules

Edarra Omani looks aside toward the long column with volunteers and cursed savagely. Another long day and still the volunteers continue to flock like fly on honey. She took the quiver, wet it in her ink-pot and spoke to the next one.
“What is your name, where are you from, who do you wish to receive your share if you are killed in battle?”
The volunteer, strong lad from Fiersdvain, about twenty years old, smiles at her.
“I`m called “The Red Axe” because I`ve killed …”
“Are you deaf?” Edarra interrupts him with annoyance. “Just answer the questions.”
Some of the other volunteer began to laugh, and the lad`s face turn red in anger.
“I told you my name, woman! Unlike you I`m a warrior! Do your … “ he hesitates, looking at all the parchments over the low wooden table and the others, visible inside several open chests around. “… your parchment things! I want to fight! I`m experienced warrior and …”

Edarra`s patience wasn`t her strongest feature. A throwing knife appears into her left hand and fly toward the lad`s head. He skillfully avoided it, lowering himself at the other side and issued a surprised shout.
“Fuc*ing whor…”
The Doom mace into her other hand hit the left side of his head. The bone broke soundly, when the weapon crush his skull, spreading the nearest volunteer and a few of her parchments with blood and brain. Edarra cursed again.
“Do you have any idea how much these parchments costs?”
She looks upon the stunned volunteers with bloody gaze.
“We must to know who is who within our ranks, where are you from to know who to punish if you betray us, and who will receive your share if you are killed in battle. We don`t need haughty children, swaggering with ridiculous nicknames! The simpletons must return to their sh*tholes! They have no place here!”

She sat back and waive a hand toward the next lad, also a Fiersdvain.
“Speak!”
The lad tried to sound brave, yet his face was a little pale and his voice was almost hard. But not entirely.
“My name is Torvald Rundheim, I`m from Odasan village, a few days ride from Hrolfson Castle. My parents, Felia and Rulhaim live there. I`d like my share to be send to them, if I fell in battle.”
The quiver quickly moved over the parchment and Edarra`s mood softened. She looks more carefully at the lad. A few years younger than the previous one, tall but scrawny for Fiersdvain. No wonder, why he was trying his luck as mercenary. His chieftain surely wanted bigger men for his warband.
“How old are you?” She said with casual tone.
“I`m fifteen years old.”
“Fine. I`ll send you into Baidar`s hundredth. He is a great cook, so you will be well fed. Ate as much as you can, you need to gather more mass and quickly.”

“Yes, Sera. As you say.”
“Does anyone know who this idiot was?” She said to all.
Torvald spoke with low voice.
“He was Beolf Rundheim, my older brother.”
“Drag him outside and throw him into the latrines.” Edarra ordered with steel voice. "This warrior will show it to you, then he will lead you to your new comrades. Go!”
“Yes, Sera.”
The lad tried to drag his brother`s corpse. He was bigger and heaver than himself, and he put all his efforts but with little success. No one offer him any help and Torvald continue his first fight with dark determination. Behind him he heard the killer`s voice.
“Next!”

Adessa Valo stops her foamed stallion in front of the warlord`s yurt and jump from her saddle. Maltise was close behind her. His bodyguards moved to stop her.
“I`m hiss wife! I want to ssee him immediately!”
“I`ll tell him that you are here.”
Sharak enters inside and stood there shortly. She raise the hide up.
“You may come in.”
Adessa stormed inside. Rambulhwa was inside, busy with conversation with a man with blue robe, wearing horned helm. She hissed at him.
“OUT!”
The man bowed and left. Rambulhwa look at her calm and spoke with even voice.
“Greetings. What can I do for you?”

“You treacherouss cur!” Adessa was furious and foamed no less than her exhausted stallion. “You dare to assk? You`ve given orderss all captivess to be ssend to you and not to uss! Pray to your miserable godss to have a good explanationss or Azi Dahaka will have your head! Sspeak!”
Rambulhwa looks at her evenly.
“The captives are mine and mine alone. I`ve never gave you any promises that you may have them. I gave you some of them out of good will and nothing more. My good will have its limits. Your Cult will receive no more people from me.”
She began to hiss even more from pure hatred.
“You led me to believe that in exchange of our ssupport you will give uss ALL captivess! You lied to me!”
He met her flaming gaze with complete indifference.

“I`ve never gave you such promise. Yet I was ready to do so, to help you to achieve your ultimate goal – to bring Azi Dahaka to us.” He stood completely immobile and pronounces each word with impassive face. “I spoke with her. I actually offered her all of my captives in exchange of a single favour. She declines. So I have no further need of her or from her servants.”
Maltise towered over him.
“Lesser creature! You used us! And when the goddess refused to make you immortal you dare to refuse her rightful share of blood! You will suffer a whole eternity for that sacriledge!”
“You dare to speak about using someone. Ironic, isn’t it Maltise? I lost a sister of mine because you decide to spill our blood and to claim all the glory for yourself, not for Azi`s glory. All that I asked for was a single boon. And for it I was ready to repay her tenfold. She refuses.”
Maltise turn pale.
“You dare to blackmail the goddess? You will …”

“I will keep my captives for myself until they all die from old age or I kill them as my mood strikes me. You have no right over them. They are mine and mine alone. No other tribe or nation in Pendor, Mettenheim, Veccavia, Barclay or Melitine will sell you a single living body.”
He looks at their stunned faces with patient politeness.
“If that is all, you may go.”
“We may!?!” Maltise gnarls. “You do not understand who are you talking with, you filthy cur! I`ll kill you and I`ll sacrifice your entire tribe for that! And then …”
Rough and dark laughter came from the tribesman`s throat, without even to open his mouth. His face was expressionless like stone mask.
“You are my wives by the laws and the customs. You gave an oath in Azi`s name for that. I know exactly what does that mean, wife. You can`t harm me unless I betray you. You can`t order to others to hurt me, or your own goddess will destroy you. So if you still want a victim or two, I`ll expect all of your warriors ready to move in two days. Your people will receive the captives they took themselves and no one else.”

Maltise was ready to die from heart attack any moment. She barely took a breath, trying not to crush his bones at the very place. Adessa spoke with soft voice.
“What are you ssaying iss the truth. But maybe I can convince you to change your mind. Let me visit you tonight. We will … sspeak again at length and we will reach a new agreement. Right?”
“You are free to visit me any time you want. I too may visit you at any time.” The tribesman didn`t move or gave her any sign of approval or disapproval. “I hold my passions in my fist. I open it when I want. I close it when I want. It will change nothing.”
Maltise saw, that the filthy savage will not change his mind. Still she found in herself enough strength to ask again.
“Is there some way to change your mind?” She lowers her eys in shame and sorrow. “Why didn`t I killed him in time?” she thought dark and continue. “I … I will do whatever you want. I do need more victims for sacrifices. The goddess is … displeased from me.”

“I doubt that she hears the word “No” from you often. She must be out of her mind from fury now, otherwise you wouldn`t be so docile.” Rambulhwa said with indifference. “She expected a river of blood, yet now it turns to a very tiny stream. And it will remain the same. She will get used to it in a few years. Meanwhile you can`t touch me or my allies. If you do it, you own people will desert you, for not even the simpleton will follow a god-cheater. He will be afraid, that even if he is loyal, she may sacrifice him too. And then she will remain completely alone and she will be forgotten.”
Maltise didn`t knew how she went into her own tent. She stood stunned in pure terror until Adessa`s worried face came in front of her and she spoke with low bow.
“I`m at your orderss, my misstress.”
“What can I do?” Maltise`s voice was a low whisper. “Tell me what can I do? How to explain to Her, that a single stinking tribesman refuses to obey Her will?”
“They have their god, Vata. Without a ssolid reason we can`t invade them. Or our people will rebel againsst Her. Even the Anaconda Knightss will abandon uss. We can`t allow that to happen.”

At the other side of the camp Remar Delanard and his false traders expected their death with stoicism. Only two of his men accepted the offer to join the savages. The rest remained loyal. The tribesmen led them toward a blockhead, where slim woman cutted a man`s limbs under his constant screaming and pleas for mercy. A hundred other men and women stood watching them. Yet none of the Ravenstern men falter. All walks forward with proudly raised heads and steel into their spines. When they reached the clodpole Reman stops and spoke with hard voice.
“I want to be the first.”
“Very well.”
One of the masked warriors responds with distinctively female voice. She untied him and he turns toward the executioner while she untied the rest. She spoke to him with impatience.
“What are you waiting for?”
“She isn`t finished with the current victim yet.”

The woman removes her helmet, revealing stunningly beautiful face. Her narrow eyes thinned even more.
“Arkal was caught asleep during his watch last night and his Jugutu-iin, Habali, executing him. Isn`t it the same into your lands?”
“We give them fifty lashes for the first time, and hang them for the second.”
“Foolish weakness, but it is yours not mine. Come, your horses are over there.”
He turns toward her in disbelieve.
“Aren`t you here to execute us?”
She smiles and his heart tremble.
“And what for? The Scorpion Assassin`s guild have no problems with your Raven`s guild. Our chieftain wage war with your chieftain. They will fight for some time, and then the things will return back to normal. And our work will continue as usual. You and I, we are just doing our work, nothing more. The guildmasters rules are still valid, right? At least my father told me so. He is one of our guildmasters so he must know, after all.”

It was part of the very old agreement between all assassins guild. Despite all the wars between the rulers, the assassins were more tolerant toward each other and agreed to save each others lives when and where was possible.
“And your warlord will not punish you for that?” Remar asked her with concern. The woman was really stunning.
She notices his attention and laugh cheerfully.
“Do you remember what your old friend Benard told you? Rambulhwa is a guildmaster`s apprentice, of course that he knew the rules. The rules are rules. Actually Benard also spoke in your behalf. Your old friend is still your friend.”
She gave him a piece of roughly broken denar.
“If you need our help, give that piece of coin to the guildmaster of the Leatherworks Guild in Ravenstern. The current password is “Mashiha”. They will help you.”
“I don`t know what to say.”
“You don`t need to, I can see how you look at me. All males are the same.”
He took the broken denar it and put it inside a secret pocket inside his vest. She led him toward the horses where they received back all of their armours, weapons and coins. Sharaz sends two Scorpions to escort them to the border.

Why D`Shar doesn`t use plate mails

Viscount Kresten Merton raises his skin and tried to drain a few drops of water from it. But alas, the skin was as dry as his throat. The scorching sun hanging right over his head suddenly came closer. White light fills his sight and his head fell over his chest. The tall plumage of his helmet waiver shortly, but the irons hold his legs and the high saddle continue to keep his body straight.
No one of the nearest Knights of the Lion notices his death. All of them were half-death from the unknown for their homeland heat, the last drop of their water was drank two days ago, shortly after the midnight attack of the filthy D`Shar left them with dead harnessed animals and broken water barrels. Many of their powerful warhorses suffered from thirst that remained unsatisfied. A few amongst them, who heard the stories how the savages could remain alive drinking the blood of their horses, tried it secretly, and died in pain.
Duke Aelfwine Briesenweldt looks at the column of Knights of the Lion and Rangers of the Clarion Call, who rode behind him as best as they could. Some of them lost their powerful warhorses and drag their feets behind the rest, until they fell over the hot sands.

The duke felt no sorrow for the fools. They all knew, that their train was of vital importance for their success, yet they allowed themselves to be negligent. While their Squires and Outriders raised their tents and served their dinner, the savages suddenly attacked the train and for that he executed all of the guardsmen, who weren`t of noble blood. The noble ones were punished with heavy mulct of 100 denari, that still burning their hearts. “There is nothing worse for them than to put a hand into their purses!” the duke thought, listening to theirs complains about the long ride, the uncomfortable saddles and the suffering from the scanty field rations. Count Trato even brought with him his copper bathtub and after his soldiers were killed, he used it to hide under it, before the duke`s bodyguards to save him. The lesser creatures could lose only their lives, but the noble one holds his wealth on first place. The bonded serfs were lazy mob even during the best of times and often needed a stong hand to keep them on their toes.
The duke stretched his hand on his left side and his squire immediately put a skin with watered wine into it. The duke drank deep.

“We must be close to the end of this desert. Soon we will reach Torbah, and after I kill the savager`s chieftains, Sarleon will be free from their kind.”
“Yes, Your Lordship.”
Aelfwine Briesenweldt boils the lad with his gaze. As a son of distant cousin of his, he could be a little grateful for his great mercy. The remains of the two Orders gathered in Sarleon when their spies brought the news that the dreadful Syla Uzaz came in march toward their gates. The duke immediately mobilizes all remaining knights and their servants, with the bold idea to strike right into the savage’s heart. The cursed Rambulhwa openly announced that he will attack Ravenstern at the summer`s end and everyone knows that he was currently in Torbah. So the duke had the magnificient idea to save Sarleon, killing the enemy`s warlord. So he led his cavalry right trough the desert toward Torbah. His advisors had some doubts, that crossing the desert was dangerous, but he overwhelm their fears with the argument, that no one will expect from them to attack just from that point. Using the element of surprise was a core idea of all strategists’ books and the duke was well versed in the military art. Surely Eunomia herself put that brilliant idea into his mind and …

The sudden shouts drawn the duke from his thoughts and he turns south. At the top of one dune he saw long raw of infantrymen.

He immediately gave order and viscount Deron Vertas led the vanguard towards them. The duke himself began to look around. To meet a few savages could be an accident. To meed a few hundreds of them were an ambush. No doubt the real attack was pointed toward the rear guards. The column was stretched for two kilometers, already leaving the fallen and the dead without even the decent Sarleon`s burial rites. The Arch-Priest of Eunomia didn`t even put his little finger away from his gold-plated carriage, where he stayed all day long with his four boys neophytes with gentle faces of porcelain dolls. He could be seen only after his silk tent was rised for the night. He preached then to the knights, that Eunomia`s power was over them all, and the enemy were already stiken in fear. He led the prayer with exalted expression on his ascetic face, and his sharp features brightened from the rightiouness of their blessed cause, ensuring the noble warriors that the victory was theirs. Who could possibly lose with the power of the prayer on their side and righteous cause?

The vanguard bent their lances low toward the filthy savages, who run toward them with bloodthirsty howl. The poor soul, to run right against heavy cavalry! The duke raises the visor of his helmet to watch better. Just a little more, only a bit more …
Then suddenly viscount Vertas disappear from his sight. In the first moment, the duke was unable to believe of his own eyes. Then the entire first rank fell right in the open, almost entirely flat sands in front of them.
“QUICKSANDS!” Aelfwine roared furiously. “GET BACK! IT IS AN ORDER!”
But it was too late. The second rank fell over the first. Those, trying to turn back collide with the others, coming after them. The exhausted warhorses fell with dozens, painful cries could be heard even from the duke`s vantage points mixed with desperate pleas for help.
The savages took their short bows and soon arrows fell upon the other knights, who could do nothing to them, unable to guess where the quicksand ended. Meanwhile, just as the duke expected, D`Shar horsemen came as tight mass from both his flanks.

The Rangers of the Clarion Call had enough time to release five volleys at the enemy before to switch to spears and swords. Dozens savages fell, their bodies turned into unrecognizeable mess under the hooves. But the rest fell upon his noble warriors. One of them, wearing strange red polearm, rush forward between his knight. The first knight raises his richly ornamented shielf to repel the strike, but the savage rose on his irons and strike at the knight`s helmet from above. The long blade splits the warrior`s helmet and the head inside, but with practicized movement the savage release it from the corpse and strike at the next knight. The expensive shield endures the first strike then the D`Shar warrior used his weapon to strike at the warhorse. The poor animal had no shield, his ringed mail splits under the strike and the blade met a bone. The warhorse fell with terrible scream, but the savage already was closer, splitting the ringmail of a Larian Outrider and the ribs under it. Blood spreads all over his scale mail but he already pick the next Outrider, cutting his right arm with strong swing and a Squire with quick strike, using the speed of his weapon rotation. Another Ranger fell from furious slashing, splitting his sword and the upper part of his breastplate.

Two more fell before the duke to kick his warhorse forward. Aelfwine managed to parry the first two strikes then countered with skilled slashing toward the enemy`s waist. Unexpectedly, the polearm`s hilt endures the power of his two-handed sword, then the savage`s slash cut off his left shoulder plate. The duke tried to push the lighter desert stallion with his large warhorse. The yellow-brown stallion neigh terribly when the powerful Sarleon warhorse hit him with his strong chest, covered with heavy iron plate. Bones crushed, and the savage fell with his horse. The duke pulls the leads and rotates his warhorse to face the fallen enemy then his eyes turn round and huge in surprise. The savage was already on his feets and run towards the duke, who just turn his horse back. He steps over the body of his own fallen horse and jump forward, his polearm swing with all his strength. Aelfwine met the strike with his own weapon, but there angle was inappropriate and it was not enough to repel the furious swing. His hands fell low and the upper part of the enemy`s blade hit his breastplate. The irons torn apart and the duke fell backward from his warhorse, he lost his breath and the sword fell from his hands. The sagave step over the fallen enemy and roared toward the standard-bearer.

“Surrender!” he shouted with rough accent.
Aelfwine tried to take a breath. His armoured hands began to scratch over the cracked breastplate in a desperate attempt to hold his splitted breastbone. He knew that he was dying.
A few steps further, the duke`s personal squire saw the duke`s demise and throw the bright Lion`s standard over the sand. The rest of the Sarleon warriors began to throw their weapons. The battle was over.
Rambulhwa removed his Torbah helmet and waive at the Squire. He came closer.
“The town of Sarleon fell yesterday. You were the only force from Sarleon nation, that wasn`t killed or captured yet. Your war is over.”
“The gods weren`t on our side this time, D`Shar.” The young squire spoke with hard voice. “You won. What will you do with us?”
“I`ll kill the nobles amongst you, the others may return to Sarleon or whatever they came from. I don`t care.”

“Will you allow me to bury duke Aelfwine Briesenweldt by our custom? He was a brave leader and deserves at least that honour.”
Rambulhwa raises his shoulders with indifference. Every corpse was just dead meat for the vultures. But it wasn`t a big deal and the standard-bearer was a brave lad.
“Go ahead.”
The lad went slowly toward the duke`s body and knelt next to him.
“Forgive me, my lord. I wasn`t able to protect you from …”
“Help me, you idiot!” A hoarse whisper came from the body. “I can`t breath!”
The squire quickly unlock the breastplate and reveal the duke`s bloodied chest. He took a knife and cutted the leather undergarment. The polearm`s blade was cutted trough the breastplate but only that. The duke`s wound was barely a long scratch over the breastbone. He carefully lift the duke`s upper body.

“Here, my lord, calm down, you will be fine, let me bind your wound…”
“I`m dying, you fool! My chest is slashed on two! If I wasn`t dying, I would have kill you for your impudence!”
“It is only a scratch, my lord!” The lad took a clean bandage. “You can stand up right now.”
When Rambulhwa turn back, he saw the duke on his feet and his hand hold the polearm. Another masked warrior hold his hand.
“No. It won`t be right. This man helped so much for your cause, that you can`t count him for your enemy, but for your ally. If he managed to survive even now, he must not die.”
Duke Aelfwine Briesenweldt saw with disbelieve, that the cursed savage bent himself low to the other warrior.
“Yes, Master. I will do as you say.”
“The breastplate offers a lot of protection, but it is too heavy and impractical for such heat. Many knights died from heat or sunstrikes. You can`t even stand alone if you fell, and you need other ment to bring you on the saddle. The heavy cavalry need flat, hard ground to fight well, but their horses just can`t survive along with ours at the same conditions.”

“I know that, Master. I just …”
“And you charged right against them instead to flank them, cur.” Shavaar`s eyes thinned with anger. “Twenty lashes. Bring me the whip!”
Rambulhwa bow to him.
“Yes, Master.”

When Sharaa brough Fawzia, Sharaz just finish with her balms and bind the wounds with clear bandages. He waive at her to sit down.
“You fought well, young chieftain. Many warriors are impressed from your battle spirit and your skills with the spear.”
Fawzia bows lightly and took a cup with kumis.
“I fought as any other warrior. It was my duty. They invaded the Torbah`s lands.”
“And a modest one too. Good for you. My close friend and companion, Ediz, saw you in the battle and spoke highly for your skills.”
Fawzia bows again.
“I`m proud to fight alongside him. He is a great warrior too.”
“But I had no idea that he likes you enough to offer his youngest sister for your wife.”
Fawzia froze and stare foolishly before to hold herself enough to bow again.

“I had no idea. I`m unworthy for such honour and …”
“He believes that you are.” The warlord`s eyes thinned even more.
Her mind desperately tried to find some exit from the dangerous situation.
“I am grateful for his offer, but I can not accept. I`m already married and I had two children, I …”
“So?” Rambulhwa`s face reflects nothing but his voice began to cut like a knife. “A Torbah`s chieftain can not support such small family, that one new wife will be a burden for him? A sister of great warrior and skilled leader like Ediz, eh? Don`t worry for such things! Her dowry is worthy for a Khan`s daughter! Thirty fine horses from the best desert breed!”
“It isn`t a matter for her horses, I just …”
“His offer is both honourable and generous and his support will be of great help for you further. He already has considerable influence amonst the Singalians.” The warlord inclines himself forward towards her. “Do you want to insult my friend and myself then?”

There was no escape from an offer, placed in such a way. The insult from direct refusal would have been too great and Ediz or Rambulhwa, or most probably both of them, would have simply to kill her. Fawzia bows again.
“I`m unworthy, but I will accept his honourable offer.”
The warlord fills her cup with more kumis himself, then note with calmer voice.
“Then for your sake, I hope that you will become a worthy husband to Cimari really fast. The ceremony is tomorrow, in the presense of all D`Shar chieftains. Then we will leave to attack Ravenstern.”

I have been reading Vorador's stories for a full day and they are simply amazing. I'll make sure that everyone i know has a chance to read these fascinating tales.

A True King Does Not Surrender

King Gregory IV walked forward and backward over the long balcony of his magnificient castle. From his vantage point he was able to see most of the town and even the outlines of the enemies camp`s, spread all around his mightly fortified capital. His battle map was covered with notes about their number and position. The markers for his forces were few. Still there was not a single messenger from the army he sent toward Pointsbruk. As if the bloody duke Adarian Dementold just disappear from the face of the earth. With all of his men. What if he decides to rebel against his power? The thought tortured the tired king for whole moons. The population was hungry, the stores were empty. The stinking savages uses the upper part from the river for their latrines and the townsmen, who used non-boiled water to drink, quickly fell ill from it. Betrayers turned the remaining granaries on fire, all animals were already eaten. His advisors warned him that in the poorest sections of the town some inhabitants already resolve to cannibalism. Gregory was so disgusted, that he barely holds the excellent wine into his stomach.
Dark mass appear in his sight from the east and he looks upon it intensively.
“Your Majesty!” Reinar Joerek, the commander of his Royal Guards appears running at him. “Noldor army approaches from east!”

“Another Noldor army?” The king raises his head high and look at him with impervious gesture. “Report!”
“Yes, Your Majesty! Another Noldor army approaches to join the besiegers from east.”
“How many are they?”
“The tower watches reporst for no less than 5000 infantry and 1000 cavalry. They don`t make the slightest effort to hide themselves.”
Reinar bows low and add with tied throat.
“Along with them they report for no less than other 5000 D`Shar horsemen with them. Maybe more. Your Majesty, what shall we do?”
“We shall hold as long as needed, noble Reinar.” The king spoke calm, irritated from the worried face of his bodyguard. “With such number they will starve too.”
“But they are free to look for food everywhere they want, my lord. We had two riots for the last seven days! When the townsmen see the new armies …”
“You will protect me. I have full confidence into your abilities and in those of your men too. You will punish all who dare to rebel against my power.”

“Master…” The knight hesitates. “The people are hungry and we have no supplies from the spring. The town is full with refugees, what little remained from the last year`s harves is gone. The army you sent isn`t going back, but the enemies getting even stronger. We have no fuel, no food and even the water is polluted. We can`t hold much longer.”
The king looks at the scarred veteran with suspiciousness.
“I get the impression that you are going to suggest to surrender ourselves on the savages, Ser.” His face twisted in angry grimace. “I hope that you`ll prove me wrong!”
“Master, we have no hope to hold much longer by ourselves. Who will come to our aid?”
Shouts came from afar and both turned toward a messenger, running to the palace`s gate. The tunic over his armor was torn apart and blood streaks down from his face after accurate hit from throwned stone. Gregory IV gave order and two palace guardsmen brough the man.
“What happen to you, sordier?” The king spoke with barely restrained disgust.”You uniform is a disgrace! Explain yourself!”

“My king!” The messenger bent almost to his knee. “The crowd, my king, they saw the incoming armies … they started to shout that we are doomed!” The man began to tremble visibly. “They started to throw stones at the soldiers, captain Bertan Alvano ordered me to warn you. He said that he will hold them as much as he can, but he has only a hundred men.”
The guards at the palace`s wall issued warning. Stones and arrows flew towards them and two men fell backward to the ground. Their bodies fell with such noise, that everybody knew, that they are dead. The alarm was raised and more soldiers came running from the palace`s barracks. Something heavy hit the heavy doube gate. Some strange balls began to fell in the first courtyard, leaving dark red marks. It took them a few heartbeats to understand, that it was soldier`s heads.
“Knight-captain Reinar Joerek, you must scatter the mutineers immediately. Bring me their leader`s heads. You have your orders!”
“Yes, Your Majesty!

Hinaraniel felt herself even more lively at the sight of her sister, holding the Ithilrandir`s banner in the first rank, waivering above more than 5000 of his Noldor. With those, who left Elacrai after her, the total number of Noldor outside their domain already could be count for an entire army. Not surprisingly, over half of his soldiers were … females.
“So many females went after you. Even I was surprised. But why he joined you personally?”
She jumps as the voice said it behind her back and turn around in haste, her hand drawing her sword.
“You don`t need blade against me, Hinaraniel. I`m not your enemy.”
Hinaraniel saw Lethaldiran`s broken face and somehow it scared her a bit.
“Did he send you?”
“No, but Rambulhwa would like to know if you called our reinforcements.”
“I didn`t called anybody! I had no idea that more of our kind will join us!”
“So lord Ithilrandir himself suddenly decide to join us?” Lethaldiran rose an eyebrow and smiles ironically at her. “It’s really very nice of him to join us!”

“I`m exile now, just like you. Do you really believe that I have enough power to call him?”
Lethaldiran thought over her words briefly. It was remotely possible, but far more unlikely.
“Then what could he possibly want?”
“To kill more humans, demonstration of Noldor battle prowess, taking a bigger role for the Pendor future, take your pick. Or something entirely different, of course. How could I possibly know?” Hinaraniel`s voice had jagged blade. “Does your human master even suspects, why lord Ithilrandir isn`t so … anti-human as lord Aeldarian and most of the others?”
“He isn`t my master, he is only my warlord.” Lethaldiran corrected her gently. “But no. He is thinking, that lord Ithilrandir is more inclined toward peace with the humans.”
Her laugher was short and rough, and then she rubs a tiny scratch at her throat.
“Yes, in a sense, it is just that.”
“Ugh?” Lethaldiran stare at her in shock. “Are you serious?”
Dark and cruel smile curved her thin lips.
“Is there something more peaceful than the death? So yes, his intentions are really … peaceful.”

Ithilrandir could hardly miss the greedy glances, thrown from the human toward his magnificient steed. He tries to cover it, Ithilrandir was ready to give him that, but for him, it was as open as drooling.
“I suppose that you haven`t seen such a horse?”
Falahalinalael translate his words for the savage tribesman. For his credit, he didn`t even bother to reject his statement.
“You are correct, lord. I can offer fifty from my finest for him, if you are willing to trade.”
“I`m not, but do warn your tribesmen, that I`ll not look favourably at any more attempts to steal him.”
“So you notice it? All four of them?”
“Seven tribesmen were caught near my horse for the last three nights. It becomes tiresome. So stop that before I start to bring back to you their heads only.”
The tribesman`s eyebrows closed together.
“But I send only five …”

He closes his mouth for a short time before to continue.
“I`ll take care of that, lord.”
“I`m glad to hear it. But right now I`d like to see how my countrymen has been treated into your camp. And beside that, my scouts reported that a small Fiersdvain cavalry force advancing toward us.”
“So their Koningur finally is ready to join us.”
Ithilrandir looks at the tribal warlord more carefully.
“You won`t fight him?”
“I hope not, but the town of Ravenstern will be a tempting target for him. A morsel that he won`t have.”
“Then what do you intend to do with the town?”
The tribesman spoke with polite voice.
“Your Noldor travelled a long time to join us here. The town will fall soon and they could join us for the pillage. With the exception of the Leatherwork Guild and the merchants of velvet, all others are loot for those who take it.”

Last edited:
Selia put the last piece of moldy barley bread into a cup with not especially clean water and gave it to her twelve years old son. Berel rotate his head in negation and gave it to his little brother, Adorlo. He took a bite and gave the rest to Inaila, their youngest sister. Only five years old she swallowed it with readiness and began to cry for more. Selia turn her parched from starvation face toward her husband.
“It was the last bite, Remar. I`m sorry. My family lost everything in the riot four days ago, they can`t help us any more.”
Remar Delanard, former Master Assassin of king Gregory IV, wasn`t able to face her tortured gaze. After his failure into the D`Shar mission he barely escape with his life, but he was cut off from his work and all of his former associates were warned not to help him in any way under the penalty of death. Only Bartam Laskot found a way to provide him a pack with food twice, but his man was killed the third time and the food was stolen from hungry townman.
“No, Selia, it is I the one who must feel sorrow. I failed in my duty.”

“What was your Grand Failure, that the king himself banished you from his service?”
“I can`t speak for my work, Selia. I never did, never will do that.”
“Meren told me, that a mob assaulted the palace today. Her husband and her eldest son were killed.”
“At least they will not die from starvation.”
“She is my sister!”
“I`m sorry, dear.” Remar tried to calm her. “I warned Turen to stay away from the palace. Too many soldiers are still loyal to the king.”
“But their families are here in the town. They could be attacked any day.”
“I doubt that they have at least a bite more than us.” Remar look around into the empty room. “I already sold all that I had. I have nothing else but my sword. And without it, we will be prey for anyone willing to break our door.”
“Are you sure, completely sure, that there is no one, that you could ask for help?”

He saw her desperation and his thoughts again run toward the broken denar. But to become a traitor? To betrays his king for a handful of food? “King Gregory is only one man, not the whole country.” Benard Amesten`s words continue to sound loudly into his ears. The cry from the other room, where their youngest children were, suddenly began to sounds lauder in his ears. Remar stand up and took his sword.
“I have no other choice. Forgive me, my love.”
“Where are you going?”
He didn`t respond and exit in haste. Selia locked the door behind him, praying to all gods, that he could find some food somewhere.
Remar hold his steps into the main street. The people already went too far from the civilization and he saw with his own eyes not one act of cruelty since the beginning of the siege. When he saw three thugs, gnawing a hand into a dark corner of a street, he didn`t even thought to shout for the Town Watch. He was too busy to watch his own back.

The large stone building of the Leatherworker`s Guild was solid and the small bronze gate was able to withstand anything but the battering ram. He took his decision and knock trice.
A small window opens and someone`s voice spoke with irritation.
“We don`t want to buy your children.”
“I`ll never sell you mine. I want to see the Guild Master.”
“And he will want to feed you because you are such a charmer!” The voice issued mocking laughter. “Get lost.”
“Tell him only a word then: “Mashiha”.”
The voice suddenly lost his cheerful tone.
“Vartam, do you see anyone else but this one?”
“No, he is alone.”
The voice came from somewhere above them. Remar heard that the gate guard unlocks the door. When it opens, he saw at least five men, with axes and shields waiting behind. The gate guard, burly fellow with dirty long hair and the fawn skin of a leatherworker, nod.
“Come with me.”

They took his sword and searched him for weapons. Everywhere. At least some of them were former soldiers, they knew were to seek for hidden blades. Four of them led him to a slim man with calouses hands of a worker. The man still stink of leather, despite that the guild had not material to work with for a few moons already. The bright brown eyes look at the newcomer with interest.
“I`m the Guildmaster, Lornek Oldenson. How do you know his name?”
Remar`s eyebrows come together.
“Isn`t that a female`s name?”
“You don`t know?”
“The woman warrior gave me that coin and told me to say “Mashiha” to a guildmaster from your Guild, if I need help.” Remar look straight into his eyes.
The man nod and went to another room. Soon he returns with a purse. He emptied it over his worn desk. It was full with differently broken denars. He began to tried it one by one, until he found Remar`s match. He sighed and look back at him.

“You are one of ours. Tell me what help do you need.”
Remar didn`t understand him.
“One of who`s men?”
“Don`t play games with me, soldier. You have the coin, you know the current password. I have a description for the man, whom that coin has been given. You still match the description and your scar too.” The man pointed toward the pale scar that was almost invisible under Remar`s coat. “You are one of Rambulhwa`s men.”
Remar manage only to nod. He almost expected that.
“My family is starving, like everybody else. I … came to beg for help. I`ll do what is necessary.”
“I`ll send a few of my men with you. It is not safe on the streets for small children any more. Some of our neighbours sold their children already. Or eat them themselves. They will help you to bring them here.”
“And you have enough food for two more adults and seven children?” Remar spoke with disbelieve. “And even more than that, you will share all that food with us?”

The slim man spoke calm, but with confidence.
“The warlord protects his own. Since I sold him the Guild eight years ago we grow and prosper. When the town fell, we won`t be killed, our wives will not be raped and our children will not be enslaved. You are lucky.”
“How so?”
“The warlord himself arrived today. Our people saw his horde from the walls. Which mean that the town will fall very soon. Ate something and go bring your family. You`ll remain with us until the end.”
Remar was ready to fell from relief, yet in his shame he recalls for his only remained friend Bartam.
“I have a friend …”
“We all have friends, but the siege put everybody at risk. We can`t allow outsiders to stay here with us.” The guild master spoke with hard voice. “You may tell him to come here when the outer gates of Ravenstern are breached, not a moment earlier. And only with his own family. I can`t save everyone.”
Remar nod and went with the gate guard. He did what he could.

And Remar saw that the Guild Master was right. Only four days later a feast was arranged just outside the north gate. The maddened from the smell of roasted meat townsmen attacked the soldiers at the gate and at the cost of many corpses they overtook the towers and lowered the draw bridge. The enemy let them to eat while their forces entered the town, and then suddenly turn against them. The massacre began, and the exhausted townsmen weren`t able to put much of resistance. Which do not stop the enemies, wearing tall helmets and excellent armours. Many of which were near the Guild but strangely, they didn`t tried to break the gate. They just stand there. Screams from the nearest buildings showed that the other inhabitants aren`t as lucky as him. Remar tried not to listen, hold his sword and joined the other behind the door.
“LORNEK!” Rough voice came from outside. “Open the gate immediately, you fat cold-eater. Quickly, I`m freezing here!”
The slim guild master shouted from above.

“Who are you?”
“Don`t you recognize your own son-in-law, you fool?”
“Kormahan, is that you, D`Shar horse f*cker?”
“Don`t call your own daughter a “mare”! Open up! I came for your second daughter this time! Quickly, for Vata`s sake! I can`t feel my balls any more!”
They opened the bronze door and a huge D`Shar tribesman tried to enter, but he got stuck in the doorframe. For Remar`s surprise someone else outside manage to push him further with considerable force. From closer distance the D`Shar male wasn`t that huge, but he wore so many layers of hides, that he seemed twice larger. He quicky went to the fireplace, his teeth chattering soundly.
“Vata hates me! Second time I`m forced to move trough a land, where cold fell right from the sky! I was born in a desert! Hot sun, sands … oh, my, why I agree to come here in the first place?”

Lornek sat next to him and throw a bit more wood in the fire.
“How is Laminda?”
“You have twin granddaughters, cold-eater. She sends you a few parchments and she misses her sister, Demana. So I decided to come for her. Oh, Vata, let me return to my yurt alive! Its terrible, awfuly cold here!”
“Are we free to leave now?” Lorken asked with slight concern. D`Shar were savages, after all.
“But of course!” Kormahan`s sarcasm was clear, even with his chattering jaws. “Go outside, if you desire so much to be tortured to death! The Noldor turned frenzied the moment they were given free reign over the town.” The tribesman tried to move closer to the fire, but it was imposilbe without to jump inside the fireplace. “It will become just as in Laria, I`m telling you. Innards everywhere! All will be hacked, slashed, impaled, burned, and torn to pieces. Whatever comes to your mind. And more.”
He looks around for the first time since he went inside.

“Where is Demana? Call her quickly! I`m almost completely … what was the word on your barbarian language? … Frozen?”
A female`s voice came from the nearest room.
“In our country the gloom must pay dowry for his bride. We are not savages!”
The tribesman erupted.
“We just conquered your town, woman! The D`Shar! So our rules this time! Your father will pay me your dowry!”
Lornek tried to say something but a young woman came and throw full bucket with water over the fireplace. The fire died in a heartbeat. Kormahan screamed and tried to cover himself better with his hides.
“What did you said? Let`s discuss it at some length. After all, we have a whole day, right? No one is going outside while the killers are still there.”
“YOU *****!” The tribesman screamed like a madman. “Do you want to kill me? If I give order, they will kill you all!”

“We are Rambulhwa`s people for years, he wont do that. He worked too hard to build that reputation of his. And even YOU did it, my sister will kill you.” Demana sat next to both men and pretend to shiver. “How long you must remain here? Let me guess – until all townsmen are dead. And we have so little fuel left … It`s getting colder and colder, first you will lose feelings in your hands and legs, then quickly you will feel yourself sleepy and you`ll never awake again. If you are lucky. Someone can save you after you lose only your feets … Blackened pieces of frozen meat, you don`t need to cut if off, you may just snap it off and then …”
The shaking tribesman screamed again.
“Are you trying to blackmail me? A warrior from …”
“All right, all right.” Demana rose and made a step back toward her room. “Stay here, oh great warrior.”
“WAIT, wait, wait, wait, wait!” The tribesman suddenly jumps on his feet. “How much?”
“I`m a reasonable woman. A third from your loot will be enough.”
“Greedy *****! Are you crazy? I can purchase twenty slave girls with that many horses!”

“Fine then. Go to the slave market right now!”
After he didn`t move to do it she add with honey voice.
“Oh, I`ll take gold or gems, not horses, thank you very much. In advance.”
Kormahan began to mumble something on his language but started to grout somewhere in the depths of his hides and his hand exit with two blue gemstones.
“I have only that with me. The rest is kept from the scribes.”
Demana took the gemstones and gave it to another man, who look at it carefully, while the tribesman began to shiver even stronger. Finally he nods and gave it back to her.
“Go inside my room. There is another fireplace. With fire.”
While he almost runs there, Demana gave the gemstones to his father.
“I knew that she will convince him to ask me too. She wrote me, that he is rich and durable man. And that the war will be over soon. The illiterate swine had no idea what will happens further, only that he expects a huge reward. But I`ll find a way to write you, when I learn more.”
He smiles broadly at her with obvious satisfaction.
“You are truly like your mother!”

The palace was assaulted in the middle of the night. Using the vantage points and any taller building, the best Noldor archers covered the assaut of theirs and the D`Shar infantry. Their combined force quickly overwhelmed the resistance of the Royal Guards and soon the king was dragged outside. Five Blademasters stood to guard him while a few scared Noldor with grayish hair began to torture his family. They too were survivors from the Genocide and were more than eager to even the old accounts. With the due interest.

Koningur

Valdis looks around himself. The numerous horde from D`Shar, Jatu, Noldor, Mystmountain clans, Snake cultists and Mettenheim soldiers was spread all over the plain. But he knew that with the icoming winter, they must have march toward warmer lands. There was not enough food for them here. Even with the whole stolen harvest the land was too poor to produce enough for such a horde. He waives at his lords to stay at their places and rode forward only with his bodyguards. The enemy did the same.
When they approached each other he saw the warlord. Rambulhwa rode towards him and bow slightly from the saddle.
“Welcome, Koningur. It was about time. Is everything all right with you? I`ve heard, that your losess at Senderfall are great.”
“It isn`t your problem.” Valdis cut the theme off. “What do you want from me?”
“To admit and recognize me for the Hero from Madigan`s Prophesy. You know that, Koningur. I thought, that we had an arrangement.”

“We had.”
Rambulhwa looks at him with suspiciousness.
“Then why you sent me your least favourable lord with a letter that means nothing? Are you intent to keep our arrangement only  until it suits your own goals, then you can behead the poor fool and claim that he wrote it himself? Do you think me for a fool?”
Valdis was surprised to hear the sudden anger into the warlord`s voice and tried to calm him.
“I explained everything into my letter! You …”
“I know exactly what do you mean … Koningur!” The savage turn toward a huge Jatu in exquisite armor. “Warlord K`Juda, will you be so kind to show the Koningur your hounds?”
The other warlord waive a hand and soon another Jatu brought three men in royal attire, wearing crowns. When he swing with his whip, the men began to bark furiously at Valdis.

“These are the chieftains, who tried to oppose me.” Rambulhwa spoke evenly, but with clear thread into his voice. “Now you will recognize me for the Hero too, or the pack will have a new member!”
The insult was too much and Valdis draw his sword and swing toward the tribesman. The scales over his chest endured, but the blade hit the face, leaving long scratch over his left cheek. The warlord respond with savage swing of his glaive that hit Valdis`s horse in the neck, killing it instantly. The bodyguards from both sides draw weapons.
“LEAVE US!” Rambulhwa shouted furiously. “We shall decide this between us!”
They stopped and he jumps from his horse while Valdis manage to crawl under his horse. He was bruised but otherwise unharmed. He rotates his sword in readiness.
“Come! I`ll have your head!”
“You will recognize me for the Hero, or I`ll remove you from your post as Koningur! It is your last chance!”
“It will never happen!”

Rambulhwa responds with low swing of his longer weapon, pointed toward Koningur`s left leg. It almost got him, leaving long scratch over the thigh`s plate. Rambulhwa pressed him hard, rotating his glaive skillfully, threatening his opponent with both blades. He began to rotate the glaive quickly from right to left and then back in full circles that forced Valdis to retreat step by step. He tried to parry strong strike toward his right shoulder and almost lost his sword and then Rambulhwa change his posture and rotated his weapon around his waiste. The longer blade slice trough Koningur`s armor and bite his flesh. Blood coloured the glaive`s blade and the warlord began to strike even faster, hitting all of Valdis`s limbs, leaving him with light wounds. Valdis felt blood streaking down and throw himself in a decisive attack, betting at all or nothing. Despite his strength and size however, the younger opponent was more skilled than him. His weapon sliced trough his armored gauntlet and his sword fell from his hand. Strong hit almost got him right in the chest. Valdis made a step back, slipped and fell. In the next heartbeat the glaive stops at his throat.
“Say it!”

“You must kill me first!”
“It won’t be necessary. I`m releasing you from your post. You are Koningur of Fiersdvain no longer.” The warlord pointed toward large warrior with horned helmet. “Inar Ironbrain will replace you.”
Valdis roared insanely and almost impale himself on the enemy`s blade when he tried to raise. It was useless.
“So unless you intend to fight against this horde here, I suggest you to accept your failure with some dignity. If you have at least a bit of honor left.”
Valdis look at the mocking face of Inar Ironhand and shouted furiously.
“This is all your plot, isn`t it? How much you paid him to do this to me?”
“Oh, Valdis, old man!” Inar put a hand near his heavy iron axe. “You forgot that “Honourable guards” are just mercenaries. I will become Koningur and I will take my rightful place at my throne. And you will be forgotten.”
Rambulhwa step back and swing his weapon idly, but no blood drops fell from it. He looks at it for a moment then bows to Inar.

“Now we will travel to Javiksholm, where you will receive your throne and your crown, Inar. Everything is ready, so if you are ready too, we can go now. In ten days you will receive what you want.”
Inar nods in agreement.
“Very well, warlord. You are true to your reputation. I`m pleased.”
“You must kill me first! I won`t submit!”
“And you prefer to sacrifice all of your men?” The warlord asked him evenly. “I have Snake cult Priestesses into my warband.”
Valdis turn pale.
“I`ve heard, that they exercise human sacrifices but I`ve never thought that you will do that too!”
“It is a pure defamation!” Rambulhwa spoke with irritation into his voice. “They do not do such things!”
Adessa Valo busted in laughter briefly and then holds herself. The warlord continue.

“I`ve heard that the war require sacrifices, so I went to my second wife and asked her to help me. She sent a hundred more of her younger Priestesses to help me.” The warlord looks at him with stone face and slowly clears the blood from his sliced cheek, before to continue. “They do not “exercise” human sacrifices, they are professionals into that.”
Valdis wasn`t inclined to evaluate the irony. Yet Rambulhwa`s statement was … literally true. He looks at the enemy, then back toward his men.
“I … I will submit. To save my people I`m ready to give my head.”
“But I will not kill you Valdis, old man.” Inar spoke with mocking grimace. “I`ll keep you around so everyone can see what happens to those, who strife aside from the true path.”
Valdis close his eyes for a moment, then spoke right to the tribesman.
“How much he paid you?”
“200 000 denari. Not bad for ten days work, isn`t it?”

“I`ll pay you trice more to kill him!”
“No, Valdis, old friend. I can`t accept such conract. I always hold my word. Now you, me and a few friends of mine will accompany you back to Javiksholm. If you try to create a single problem to me, this horde will follow us into Fiersdvain. Do you understand me well?”
Valdis trow a long glance at the horde. If they invaded his homeland with such force … the entire population could be massacred. He forced himself to nod.

After they crossed the bridge and went south-west Valdis manage to breathe more easily. Soon they would have met his army. Not that he would have risk his nation against such powerful union, but if Inar fell from … sickness or some “accident” who could have possibly blame Valdis himself?
His bodyguards tried to change his mind again.
“Koningur, let me kill the traitorous D`Shar scumbag!” Narkal Dhetenson tried to persuade him first. “I`ll gladly sacrifice my life for the opportunity to remove this … this stinking rascal from the face of Pendor! What kind of Hero is he? He is just a rotting pile of horse shi.s!”
Valdis refused to listen further.
“Don`t even think of it! You saw the horde he brought to our border yourself!” He looks at all of them one by one. “If he dies, or Inar, they WILL invade Fiersdvain! All of our people will be slaughtered at the sacrificial altars! Do you want that?”

“Of course not!” The huge Drythen Murgentheim nerviously put the sword at her back. “But you can`t go to your death just like that!”
“I fought and lost.” Valdis remind them shortly.
“He is twenty-six years younger than you, Koningur, and he is renowned warrior. He is doing only that for a decade, while you took care for an entire nation! It isn`t the same!”
“Enough!” Valdis decides to cut off the conversation, before some of them heat up enough to do something foolish. “I failed to kill Inar Ironhand myself but he hired himself enough help to take my place. None of you can do anything right now. I will do what is necessary. Obey me!”
They bowed to him, yet Valdis saw clearly that they weren`t convinced. A tribal horseman approaches and they all hold their weapons, but stopped at his sign.
“The scouts saw your army, lord Valdis. The chieftain requires your presence.”

When they saw him, Rambulhwa rode with his own bodyguards in the middle of the column. He waives a hand toward them to bring them closer.
“Do you have any new recruits into your army?”
The Fiersdvain guards tremble from the lack of proper title, but Valdis spoke with carefully emptied from any expression face.
“Of course that there are some. Why do you ask?”
“I have more than three thousands. They have a bit of training already, but not enough. If you agree, I`ll let them to fight your recruits.”
Valdis wrinkles and tried to figure something out of it.
“You want to train your young warriors in battle agains mine?”
“Exactly.” The warlord waives a hand toward the infantry columns behind him. “Until they face a true enemy in battle they can`t call themselves “warriors”. Not in the true meaning of the word.”

“What is in for me?”
“Ah, spoken as a true Fiersdvain!” The warlord nods in approval. “Very well then, if my youngsters are defeated, you`ll receive one fifth increase of the leather trade with D`Shar.”
“And if they won?”
“Then I`ll ask you for a boon.”
“What a boon?”
“Well, it won`t be your title, for you already lost it. And it won`t be your lands too, for it will pass to the next Koningur.”
After some thinking, Valdis decides that he has nothing to lose and send a messenger to arrange it. Soon three thousands and four hundreds yourg Fiersdvain warriors met the same number of D`Shar in the plains just east of the town of Fenbray. Despite the equial number, the D`Shar had twice as many horsemen however, gathered at the right flank. While most of the Fierdsvain infantrymen were bigger and heavier than their enemies, too few of them had some kind of training.

The two sides rushed at each other. The D`Shar horsemen fell upon the Fiersdvain left flank as a thunderstorm. Some of them fell from arrows, but the younger Fiersdvain archers were few and unexperienced. Soon the cavalry trample over them and their sabres began to slew them mercilessly. But they separated too fast from the main mass and the enemy didn`t missed the opportunity. The Fiersdvain center, where their biggest and strongest recruits were, suddenly turns left and surrounds the D`Shar. The large axes began to slew men and horses alike. Too late D`Shar noticed that their unarmored horses weren`t such a terrible advantage in the thick of the melee. Until their infantry approaches, nearly nine from ten cavalrymen found their death. The infantry met each other and the bloodshed continues with savageness that surprised both leaders. Nobody seek or gave mercy, when someone fell the others didn`t even tried to help him but throw themselves forward with wild battle cries. However the D`Shar infantry proves faster and better trained. In less than two candles time they manage to push back their enemies, who broke ranks and flew.
Valdis look at the bloodied plain, covered with more than two thousands corpses, he heard the cries of the crippled and the wounded and turns toward the warlord, who watching the same picture with stone-like face.

“So many lives lost and for what? They didn`t fell defending their homeland, their homes, or their families. Why did you do this?”
“Homeland? You mean the land you claim for your own, I suppose. The land where they lived, worked and paid you tributes each year for the “right” to exist there.” The tribesman snorted with despises. “They were forced to join your army. If they could, they would have joined mine army instead to die for you.”
“Their lives were lost in vain. They had the right to live!”
“I am a mercenary, I know the price of the human life, my old friend. Sometimes it worths nothing, sometimes it worth many horses. The life by itself isn`t some “right”, but a priviledge. And it must be deserved. With blood and pain.”
The indifference in the warlord`s voice showed much more to Valdis than a thousand words. Rambulhwa turns toward him.

“Now I have the right to ask you for a boon.”
“And what would that be? My favourite concubine? Your weight in gold?”
Rambulhwa ignored the dark sarcasm and pointed toward Drythen Murgentheim.
“I want her for my bodyguard.”
She steps forward and looks at him from above, her thick hands on the hilt of her two-handed sword.
“I can split bigger man than you on two pieces with a single strike! You dared to insult my Koningur and you think that I`ll protect you from your enemies?”
Instead to respond roughly, he look up at her and asked.
“You`ve got such a large breastplate. I wonder, if it cover something big, or just your vanity.”
“I`ll kill you!”
“I doubt it. In the day your Koningur kneels in front of the new one, you alone will come in my service.”
She draws her sword and was ready to strike at him, then Valdis hold her hand and went toward the battlefield to help the wounded.

Five days later they entered in Javiksholm. The entire population went into the streets to meet their Koningur and the army. Messengers, carefully chosen from Valdis himself already spread rumors about Inar and his hirelings. Many townsmen wore armors and weapons. Dark faces met the army, no one shouted greetings. Inar`s supporters closed ranks around him and were alert for any attempt for assassination. But the masked D`Shar bodyguards given to him from the warlord himself were on their places, and none dared to provoke the D`Shar with anything but dark, but threatening silence. Ulaf Hogvardson, the chief bodyguard of Inar, spoke quietly on his ear.
“The entire town seems ready to rebel. I don`t like this, Koningur.”
“It doesn`t matter. When they see me on the throne, when you put the crown over my head, when all of them see Valdis kneeling before me, it will be over. I will rule Fiersdvain, for I won this right in a duel by the ancsient custom, and he will rot in the dungeon.”
“What if they rebel against you?”

“D`Shar will not allow that. They will be paid only after I`m crowned for Koningur in front of the people.”
Ulaf nods and continue to watch the roofs for archers. But found none.
They entered the palace and despite the dark faces none did anything against Inar`s men when they prepared everything for the coronation. Two hundreds warriors took their positions into the courtyard along with the D`Shar, ready to repel any rebel. Inar and his thirty-six personal guards went to the large open balcony, clearly visible from the vast square in front of the palace, already full with people shoulder to shoulder. All were watching intensively at the balcony. Valdis and his bodyguards, accompanied from masked D`Shar went there along with a few palace`s servants who brought the throne and put it over a small podium, made especially for the ceremony. Inar hurried to sit over it and watch the crowd with immensely satisfaction, while his bodyguards intensiverly watched around. Rambulhwa spoke with hard voice.
“Kneel.”

Valdis`s face twisted in open hatred, but slowly he knelt in front of Inar Ironhand. The High Priest of Thalo Ver Shures put the crown over his head and proclaimed with thunderous voice.
“From this day forward, the Fiersdvain nation is under the rule of Koningur Inar. May he rule long and bring many victories.”
Inar looks around while all men and women around him bow to him. He made a sign toward the warlord.
“Come.”
Rambulhwa stand before him and bow. Inar nod and spoke with strong voice.
“For your flowless service and holding your word and contract to the letter as a true Hero and a D`Shar, I`m pleased to reward you with the sum of 200 000 denars in silver and ten of the finest horses from the palace`s stable. May our friendship last forever. You will always be welcome in Fiersdvain!”
Rambulhwa bows to him, but Drythen Murgentheim gnarls behind his back.
“You won`t live long enough to see the sunset!”

Inar send ten of his men to bring the silver. Soon they returned with the chests and open it so all were able to see the shining silver inside. Rambulhwa nod and spoke to Drythen Murgentheim.
“So, are you ready to join me?”
“I`ll tears your spine with my bare hand, you dirty …”
“Ah, I almost forgot.” Rambulhwa slapped his hands twice.
At this signal, the masked D`Shar suddenly strike at the nearest Inar`s bodyguards. Most of them fell dead, but Ulaf Hogvardson grab the hand of his attacker and broke it, then took his axe and splits his head. Another masked warrior run toward him, but he turn aside from his strike and cut off his sword-arm, then tried to help Inar, who twisted and shouted in the hands of the ten men, who he alone send for the silver. One of them removes his helmet, revealing the grinning face of Narkal Dhetenson. He grins mockingly at Ulaf Hogvardson, who roared and throws himself forward, slashing another man in the guts. He didn`t moved to protect himself and Ulaf put all of his fury in the strike, that would have cut off the head from his shoulder. Two-handed sword suddenly got him from aside, moved trough his chainmain from the right shoulder down trough bones and muscles and exit at his left hip, splitting him on two. Blood spreads all around and colored Narkal. He nods with satisfaction.

Another masked figure removes his helmet revealing hard Jatu face with four scars over his cheek.
“So K`Juda will have what was promised to him – the Fiersdvain Koningur.”
Rambulhwa glides his short beard while the last from Inar`s men dies around them in pools of their own blood.
“I have true friends because I do not cheat them, warlord Agjaga. My Master taught me that and I never waivered from his teaching. I hope that you will keep his new hound in good shape.”
Agjaga looks at Inar with evaluating gaze.
“He will be a tough walnut to crack.”
“But I have full confidence into your abilities. I`m sure that …”
“Traitorous dog!” Inar roared furiously. “You betrayed me!”
Bellow them, the heavy palace`s game suddenly shut close behind the last D`Shar, who took cover inside the palace. More Fiersdvain, loyal to Valdis fills the walls above the courtyard. Inar`s supporters saw with surprise how Valdis stood above them completely free, pointed toward them and roared to the crowd outside.
“Kill the traitors!”

While the crowd stormed trough the open outer gates and press Inar`s supporters in the courtyard, Valdis went to the warlord.
“When you called him “Ironbrain” I understood that you had something in mind and hold my people not to kill you. I used that word only once when I spoke with you before. But you need to explain yourself! Now!”
“Inar hired me to put him over the Fiersdvain throne, to be crowned for Koningur and to force you to kneel before him.” Rambulhwa explained with polite voice as if nothing oddly happens. “
“But I`ll kill him right now and I`ll take my crown back in a moment!”
“You didn`t called him “Ironbrain” for nothing. He hired me to make him Koningur, not to keep him alive after that. To take a crown is one thing. To keep is is another matter, that people like him never think over.” Rambulhwa support his back on the wall behind him. “I do not care how long he will be able to keep his reign over Fiersdvain. I just dressed some of your men in D`Shar armors that broke none of the terms. Also once I promised to my cousin warlord K`Juda to make a true Koningur one of his hounds. I do believe that the outcome is acceptable for all of us.”

“And meanwhile you took 200 000 denari?”
“All the coins will be given to my people when you proclaim me for the Hero. You are the last leader from the five kingdoms that need to do it.”
While the last of Inar`s supporters were slaughtered in the courtyard from the frenzied mob, the High Priest put the crown to Valdis`s head and proclaimed him for Koningur again. When it was over he went to the railing and shout to the bloodied crowd bellow.
“Today I, Koningur Valdis of Fiersdvan, proclaim warlord Rambulhwa from Turkmani D`Shar for the Hero from the Madigan`s prophesy! May all tribes and nations of Pendor to hear that the prophesy is fulfilled. Rejoice, my people!”
Valdis turns over and just look at the savage before to ask.
“What about you then? Are you happy now, “HERO”? What would you do now?”
“I like Drythen Murgentheim. I do believe that she had something to show me.”

The wall behind him suddenly moved and Rambulhwa staggered a little before to regain his balance. Above him Drythen Murgentheim sigh and roll her eyes in annoyance.
“You are one nasty tribal pig!”
“I am so happy that you estimate me properly.”

Allies and enemies

Serminalinil slowly began to rotate his spear against his opponent. The sharpened blade made hissing sounds splitting the air around him when he suddenly slash forward aiming for the neck, just between the scales of the torso armor and the scaled helmet. The enemy met his strike with his blade and counterattack with force that make him to stagger. Serminalinil make unvoluntary step back but manage to regain his balance in time to turn his staggering into full rotation and poke against the enemy`s stomack. But he was already too close to him and he just pushes the blade aside with his armored gauntlet and strike with his glaive at his tall helmet. The helmet sound like a gong and Serminalinil fell on the hard ground stunned and helpless.
The enemy rotates his glaive in readiness. The next enemy lowered his spear.

Ameliniorandel saw how the lesser Aion`Aal lost his duel and throw himself furiously forward. His jabs were short, but precise and allowed him to regain quickly his balance for the next strike. His opponents however hold his ground and parry only with the hilt of his weapon. Ameliniorandel make a faint and strikes at his left leg. The spear blade slipped over the scales and then the enemy steps forward and strike him in the face with his gauntlet. Startlet, he staggered back, in the next moment the blunt side of the enemy`s glaive stops at his neck and pushes him back just enough to point, that he could have him killed. His teeth gritted together, but as Aion`Cien he admits his defeat and step back. The next combatant lowered her polearm.

Cilenirielar used her long weapon to swing in wide slash that forced her opponent to parry or to step back. He chooses to parry, but she notices that it took most of his strength to meet his first strike. His slash left a scratch over her breastplate and she smiles under her tall helmet. The human had some skills after all. She hold in defense, pretending that she struggles with his attacks until she saw an opening and hit him quickly, faster than her previously strikes. Several scalses flied away and her blade pierced his armor at his collarbone but the human manage to turn aside in time to avoid injury and responds with series of skillful strikes that made her to step back, leaving more scratches over her breastplate. She uses her polearm to put away his blade and then steps forward and tried to grab his throat. While their weapons were still locked togheter he left the hilt of his weapon and hold her hand with his own. . Cilenirielar tried to use her height and strength to her advantage and she notices without surprise that the enemy wasn`t equally strong. She smiles again and press hard forward.

Suddenly she felt piercing pain into her right hand. The enemy, holding her fist into his own was closing his fingers around her fist. She saw too late that the heavy armored gauntlet he wore had razor-sharp fingerblades. The blades tore her leather glove with ease and pierce into her flesh. She tried to kick him in the groins to free herself but he just used her movement to put her out of balance and then throw her on the ground. When she fell, she immediately rolls aside to put some distance between them and tried to slice his legs. A metal boot almost broke her right arm before she was able to swing her weapon from her poor position and she releases her grip over the hilt of her polearm. In the next moment she felt a blade at her throat.
“Aion`Telai knows when she is defeated. Although it was very close. Your skills are amazing for …”. She stops abruptly.
“… a human.” He finishes her sentence and offers her a hand to help her raises. After a heartbeat of hesitation she took it and he pulls her up. He then thrust his weapon in the ground, lift the chain sleeve of her armor up and checks the bone.

“The bone is still unbroken, but you need to be careful with that arm at least for ten days. It is good that you have scale sleeves. It provides better protection even against blunt damage. You are skilled too, but you left your arms vulnerable. The leather gloves worth nothing in fight and you can easily loose your fingers. Clean well the wounds.”
He bows to her and then left her to climb over his horse, facing the next opponent.
Verdalantal, done in the distinctive armor of Aion`Naol waited patiently. Both bows to each other and their blades met in furious attack. Neither of them was willing to step back even a santimeter, the blades met again and then again. Scratches marked the places of parried in the last possible moment strikes. Both males were excellent riders and used only their thighs to direct their horses. It was savage battle that ends suddenly. Rambulhwa`s horse turns his head aside and push the enemy`s stallion with his chest. Verdalantal lost his balance only for a brief moment and that was enough for the tribesman to slash him in the left shoulder. The armor was extraordinary good but also the rusty-red blade of the warlord`s glaive. The blade bite flesh and blood spreads from the wound. Rambulhwa`s next strike throw Verdalantal out from his saddle and before he was able to stand up alone, he found the weapon of his enemy in front of his face. The battle was over.

“Cilenirielar is better than you. Yet you claim superiority over her into your warrior’s ranks. “
Rambulhwa spoke with voice heavy with despise. He turns his back to the defeated one to face his last opponent. Taller and broad-shouldered, the Aion`Saal slowly push his horse forwad and nod. Rambulhwa bows from his saddle and kick his horse`s hips in attack. The blades met soundly and the force of the impact was so strong that Rambulhwa felt his wrists ready to shatter. The enemy`s stike was so strong that his own grip over the hilt of his own weapon falters and the enemy blade hit him in the chest. Scales were torn apart and Rambulhwa wasn`t able to hold his weapon. He barely manages to twist aside not to be split on the spot. He throws himself back with all of his strength and fell along with his horse. Drevalientel left him to raises alone and to take back the fallen weapon. Rambulhwa`s wrists hurts violently and he felt his arms trembling. Nevertheless he refused to admit defeat, issued his battlecry and charge forward. The enemy swing at him, Rambulhwa lowers himself under the blade and strike up to hit the enemy in the back. Drevalientel allowed him to evade his swing and just when the human tried to hit him in the back he swing back, hitting the warlord in the helmet.

Rambulhwa came to himself from a bucket of cold water thrown into his face. He coughs and sat. He felt himself dizzy from the sudden movement but neglected the pain into his ringing head and supports himself stronger to raises but instead he fell on his face again. Sharaa and Sharab helped him to stand still on his two feet albeit not entirely stable. His wrists still trembling in terrible pain, but he tried to hide it and bow to his adversary.
“I congratulate you for your victory, Ser. May I ask you for your name?”
The rider looks down at him.
“I am Drevalientel from the House of Caelvanir.”
“You are strong and skilled far above my expectations. I`d like to invite you as an honored guest on the feast this evening.”
“A guest of honor … to a human. I`ve always thought that your kind had no honor at all.”
The tribesman didn`t showed any sign of anger.

“Very few amongst our kind have any … unless it suits our goal, that is true, Ser. I will let you to ask anyone about mine. If you decide that I`m worthy for your attention, please honour me with your presence. I`ll be waiting for you. Now please, excuse me. I need to repair my armor.”
When the twilight

When the Aion`Saal made his way into the small camp of the tribesmen the moon was already high in the sky. The guards bow to him with respect and pointed toward the warlord, who drank kumis with his friends and bodyguards. Several of them played some savage melody with rough instruments and sang strangely stretchy melody. The group was small, no more than fifty males and females, but lord Ithilrandir was adamant hard and not a single barbarian more was allowed to step so close to Elacrai. They were warned for the restrictions and they were obedient enough, at least for now. A single mistake and they would have wander in the forests forever, unable to find the way back, even if lord Ithilrandir let them live. He reaches the group. They all turns toward him and bow politely. He nods in responds, unwilling to show open disgust.
“Drevalientel from the House of Caelvanir.” The warlord spoke and Lethaldiran quickly translate for him. “Thirteen best warrior from his House and supposedly eight or ninth in Elacrai. I`m honoured to make you asquintance. Please, have a sit.”

“Lord Faergwethanir spoke highly of you just yesterday so I came to see if you are worthy for his words.”
Drevalientel sat and the other barbarians were introduced to him briefly. He knew them from the spy reports and wondered briefly, what could have happens with their warband, if Noldor decided to kill them all here and now. All of the best leaders they had, all in one place … He nods and spoke a few words in polite respond while another male brought him roasted pheasant with boiled potatoes. One of his favourite dishes. He tried it. It was delicious.
“Your cook is really talented. You`ve made a lot of efforts for a single guest, so I do believe that you want something from me. You will remain sorely disappointed but speak anyway.”
Baidar bow and smiles.
“Thank you, Sera. It pleases me to hear it. It seems that the Noldor aren`t as different as I initially thought.”
“You`ll do better to remember to address me properly, human!”
“Come on, Sera, your old friend Falahalinalael told us for you. A lot of females from our kind disguise themselves as males. Why not you?”

Infuriated that she was so easily discovered she bit the meal as if it was guilty for that.
“What do you want from me?”
“I would like to ask you for a few additional polearm lessons.” The warlord spoke without even a blink. “I saw that you could teach me a lot.”
She thought about it.
“And I suppose, that if I refuse, you`ll inform lord Caelvanir that I`m a female.”
“Lethaldiran from the House of Ithilrandir will guarantee for me without such … undignified and crude instruments. Since I saw how easily you could have had my head, I prefer to learn the polearm from you, not to make you my enemy.”
She looks aside to Lethaldiran, who nod in confirmation.

“Your Noldor teachers were from the lesser warrior ranks. Your skills are almost equally with Aion`Naol, but they and Aion`Telai are stronger than you. So you must learn to fight without parrying. You need to avoid their strikes. Your sets of movements are good, but you are taught to parry, which is a mortal danger against such powerful opponents. I saw that after your first parry you were unable to hold well your weapon.”
“My wrists still hurt a lot.” Rambulhwa admits without hesitation. “But my time is limited and I need to learn as much as I can, and quickly too. The crows bring bad news. The western ruler gather his forces against the weakened lands of the central or north part of Pendor and I will be forced to gather my warband once more to defend my allies.”
“You wretched humans are never satisfied from what you already have! You always want more and more!” Drevalientel sneer upon him with disgust.
“Yes, you are right. It is within our nature. It is just what we are.”
The consent, given so openly, manage to surprise her and she darted him with piercing sight.

“You expecting those … those Vardas to attack your lands? But why? He alone proclaimed you for the Hero?”
Lethaldiran responds.
“He alone remains with most of his forces intact and he expands his territories considerably. He sees that the neighbor lands are weakened and perfect for conquest. He won`t attack the D`Shar tribes, for they will gather together to repel him, but if he attack the former Sarleon land he will met only us and a few of the locals to fight against. If he led his forces against Mystmountain clans he will have a very good chance to win. They are brave, but lack strategy and discipline in battle.”
“So you already gather soldiers, while you are here to train while you pretend to be innecent observers of Elacrai`s wonders.”
“Something likes that. We aren`t allowed to enter the town itself. Not yet anyway. But I know that a lot of the females inside are unsatisfied from the current situation there. The unrest can escalate any moment. Perhaps more of them will agree to join me for the chance to kill more humans.”

“Falahalinalael obviously trust you enough, so will I.” Drevalientel looks around toward the other humans. “What about them?”
“They are my closest friends and companions. All of them are ready to kill for me any day.” The warlord saw her face and adds with a slight smile. “I do believe in them unquestionally.”
“Very well then. I`ll speak with some of ours. And I`ll send message to those, who now live in Laria and the other towns at the borders. I have little doubts that many from ours will be eager to spill more human blood.”
Drevalientel accepted his gratitude and asked, unable to hold herself any longer.
“How did you manage to convince Falahalinalael to help you? She … isn`t well disposed toward your kind.”
“You mean that she hates us?” The warlord corrects her with barely a shrug. “She is a great warrior and beautiful felmale too.” He glides his short beard with self-satisfaction. “It wasn`t that hard to befriend with her. I was able to provide a few crystals for her priceless personal collection and she admitted that I`m not as barbaric as my other kinsmen. If you happen to possess one of the round crystals she likes so much, I`ll offer you a very good price.”

And once more Drevalientel soundlessly admire the cunning way of Falahalinalael. She was managed to convince the stupid tribesman that the Qualis`s Tears were some ordinary crystal collection, for Qualis`s sake! But she put the proper indifferent expression on her face and nods in negation.
“The big round crystals are rare, but not particular expensive. Its natural form is what made it unique. I would offer 300 or maybe even 330 denari for one, but I am not she.”
Rambulhwa reminds to himself to reward Lethaldiran for his unwillingly provided information. Thanks to his grudefully given insight, Rambulhwa was able to extort a much more valuable exchange with Falahalinalael. A big round piece of some unremarkable crystal and barely a 3700 denari for a real Noldor-made two-handed sword! Forkanor wield it even now, unable to separate from it even for a day. He mercilessly chopped to pieces four unhappy thieves already and left their pitiful remains hanged on the trees near the border with rough tablet “THIEF!” nailed on their chests. He smiles and continue.

“I saw that your infantry archers are using some quite long bows with extraordinary range. I`d like very much to have one such bow. Perhaps you can help me?”
She took his measure with a long gaze.
“Perhaps you are strong enough to draw one such a bow. I saw that you are very good rider, so with enough practice you may be able to use it even on your horse. And I knew a good weaponsmith that owes me a favour. But what is it for me in this?”
The warlord looks at Lesle. She spoke.
“Coins, slaves, metals, horses, hides … I`m able to open a few more trade routes in the north side of Pendor for your stocks and to provide a lot of what a town from that size surely needs. And since Noldor are our friends right now, I`ll provide you what you need at favourable rates compare with your usual contacts. Most of them extort you anyway and I`m sure that you knows it. I and the other warlord`s companions now owns a whole towns for our own, so we are able to offer a lot to our Noldor friends.”

“Maybe you can, maybe you can`t.” Drevalientel let some doubt to her voice. “The problem is, that only very strong members of your wretched kind are capable to draw our infantry bows and usually our archers are a lot more accurate.”
“We will need only a small quantity for our best archers. I can assure you, that only our most loyal and capable warriors will be trusted with your armament. All thieves will be traced and executed. Our warband was used mostly to clear the ways from bandits for a year or so. With the enforcement of the D`Shar laws in our towns the crime rate fell drastically.”
“I was with the army that fought in Ravenstern. I saw some of your “justice”. You just killed most of them and put the rest to many years of forced labour.”
“The criminals must atone for their crimes. With blood or hard labour, whatever is necessary. What is the point to lock someone and to feed him for free for life for his crimes instead to execute him? His victims will not turn back from the dead. For the smaller crimes it is better to force them to work hard. D`Shar are practical people and I learned much during my service in the warband. I`m very interested from the Noldor laws, if you are willing to share …”

While the two females continue with their conversation, Rambulhwa nod with gratitude to Lethaldiran, who nods in respond and smile to himself. The Noldor future seemed a bit less unsecure than usual, and he was willing to do a lot more to keep the things at that course.

A messenger raising up a cloud of dust pushed his horse even harder, his destination was a few cubits away. The black banner with a white skull waved about above a camp as the rider pulled to a halt before two Ravenstern Highlanders on guard duty. One of them, known as Danak of Rane  barks out, "State your business!" The rider answers back, "A message for Lord Hatakir from the King." Both men move aside and as the messenger rode past them notices how the camp had been set, infantry tents at the fore with archers following whereas the horses were tied in the middle. It seemed they were anticipating an ambush. The troops glanced his way then some continued with their training while others continued repairs to armor and weapons.

After wandering about looking for the commander without luck, he rides to a group of young men following orders from a man with a thick moustache, Donavan. "Shields above the chest and then stab!", he told them. Then suddenly turns to the messenger, "You seem lost and in need of discipline, recruit training has already began." The messenger was so taken aback that he only managed to say, "... message ..."

"Speak up!" Donavan shouted, his moustache twitching as it does when he got irritated. The messenger composed himself and said, "I am Ralphin, messenger of his majesty, King Gregory and I carry a message for Lord Hatakir." Donavan looks around and spots a fellow standing by the infantry tents. He calls to him, "Alfried, put them to task." Alfried, a veteran Kieguard, seathes the sword he was sharpening and moves towards the recruits.

Donavan beckoned for Ralphin to follow. Moving past the horses, where he left his to get water and grass, to another mass of tents arranged in an opposite pattern as the front. The two of them approach a tent with its flap open and raised on stills. They enter.

Inside, a man with light brown hair drooping over his head, wearing a gold and purple robe, with his arms splayed across cushions watched the two.

When Drevalientel stand up to return at home she throws one last glance at the savage. How could such a tribal scum climbs to such power amongst the human filth, she wasn`t able to say.
“Tell me something, human f...” She bites the word and continues flawlessly. “You are already the Hero. Why do you continue crossing Pendor, fighting here and there?”
He thought about it shortly and then slight smile appears over his face.
“Well, I like my life to be colourful …”
A tough-looking female, cleaning strange black sabre raises her eyes from the blade and snorted.
“Why don`t you just said to her, that you love the colour of the blood?”
Drevalientel notices that the warlord ignored her and continues.
“… and interesting.”

One quite attractive female from his other side smiles gently at him and spoke.
“You could have simply said to her, that you love to kill bandits and thieves.”
Rambulhwa smiles at her with affection, that didn`t escape Drevalientel`s eyes.
“But Sara told me, that the foreigners doesn`t like to hear or to use the word “kill”. It bothers them somehow, the poor fools. Yet when someone rob their caravan, rape their daughters or backstab their sons behind their stone yurts, they suddenly starts to look for a savage tribesman, who could … what was that funny word … “neutralize” a man or two without difficulties. They are such liars and hypocrites, that I can kill them with pleasure just because of it. The payment is just … an additional reward.”
Both females laugh at his words but Drevalientel presses her lips hard and waited for Lethaldiran`s translation. She notices, that he didn`t translated all but she pretend that she didn`t understand, nod and left.

"Death to all non-human filth!"

Huge crowd was watching as the cart brought Bjorn Fastrider and his whole family. Executioners led them between tight rows of soldiers to the elevated platform, build especially for the execution. Koningur Valdis spoke with high voice.
“The accused Bjorn Fastrider, one of my most trusted and faithful vassals, performed the most vile and dark deed of all.”
He made a dramatic pause and the crowd began to murmur in anticipation.
“Betrayal!” Valdis shout toward them. “He conspired with the vile tribesman, who wanted to claim superiority over the whole Pendor, he supported him while he took bribes from the rebel Inar Ironhand who wanted to usurp my throne from me – your beloved ruler! He helped the dirty savage to steal my crown from me and later pretend that he helped me to take it back, with the only intention to lure me to recognize Rambulhwa for the Hero, while he IS NOT! And he almost succeeded.”
The crowd erupted in angry shouts so loudly, that Valdis was forced to raise a hand for silence before he was able to continue.

“Do not fear, my people! Do not let the southern dogs to convince you, that their tribal chieftain is the rightful ruler of Pendor! I – Koningur Valdis from Fiersdvain, fought him and left him with scar over his cruel face even when he was in his strongest postion, ahead of the whole holde of wild D`Shar and Jatu! They want to steal my lands, as they did to Sarleon, Ravenstern and Baccus. But I will not allow him to enslave and rob you, my people!”
Another wave of shouting interrupt his speech and Valdis saw how their anger grow strong.
“He made an unholy pact with the Snake Cult, who exercises bloody human sacrifices and feast upon the bodies of their poor victims. He went so far, that he even took an unhuman female for his wife! Yes, my people, the savage took for himself a wife from the pointy-ear filth, that pollutes Pendor for senturies! He massacred whole towns and gave the bloodied remains to Noldor, who`s only thought is to kill and enslave us! They want to took our land for their, to take our wives and children for their slaves! No one can trust a non-human scum, yet he invited them to assault the human kingdoms from east!”

The crowd bursted in furious shouts that only burn his zeal even more.
“The tree-lovers came into the human lands to burn, loot and kill us! They want to eradicate all humankind from Pendor! But I – Koningur Valdis, will stand proud against him with all loyal Fiersdvain warriors, who are ready to take weapon in defense of their homeland! I will liberate Pendor`s townsmen from the savage! All patriots are welcome in the army that will purge the unholy menace from our lands! And Fiersdvain will conquer Pendor, as it’s our destiny!”
The prisoners began to mumble something no less furiously than the crowd, but without tongues it was useless and fruitless effort. Valdis vaive a hand toward the axeman with black hood and he began to cut off their heads. The crowd had gone mad.

Olmund Grontveld, the chief treasurer, bows to Valdis and offer him a parchment with the list of confiscated lands and properties.
“The lands, taken from the betrayer are rich, my lord. The secret vault, buid in his fortress contains nearly 340 000 denari. The slaves and herds, confiscated for the crown – above 280 000 denari. The slaves are sold and the money are secured, while the herds will be used to feed the advancing army.”
Valdis releases him and concentrate his attention over the large battle map on the wall. It was a masterpiece, and every town and castle had small number for the soldiers into their garrisons. Fiersdvain was a rich nation. The money doesn`t need to talk, but only to listen.
His oldest son, Valdur the Frenzied, spoke after some time.
“Your supreme commander, Earl Sigmund Stonehand, reports that all lords and their soldiers are in position. Sending them on small groups during the last year helped a lot not to attract attention. But the eastern lands are devastated from the last war. We have strong footholds in both Sarleon and Ravenstern. The only passage toward our land from the south is already blocked from our men. The fallen rocks can be cleared for a few moons, but small number of our men in the passage can hold a whole army."
He pointed toward another part of the map.

"In the north the savages are few and thespite their bravery they lack discipline and endurance. Duke Aelfwine Briesenweldt alredy send you message, that he is ready to support you with all his soldiers and the remaining knights from their Orders.”
Valdis smiles.
“A savage is always a savage. Illiterate moron without even the basic understanding of strategy. Continue.”
“Jatu have no love for D`Shar or Mystmountain clans. My men found a powerful warlord, willing to accept our money to attack the clans with his horde. Last year alliances mean nothing for the mercenaries. The silver is all that matters and we can win as many battles as swords and spears we are able to purchase. They hate Noldor and are eager to kill them again.”
“What about the other tribes?” Valdis took a mug with beer and drank deep.
“They didn`t choose another Bahadur Khan and they are spread as usual. One tribe fights with the other and so on and so forth. But I did not recommend to hire any D`Shar against him. The risk is too high.”
Valdis look at his son with approval.
“One day you will become a fine Koningur, my son.”

There are demons over there

Sardu Rolnekson finishes his round and turns back. The fat guard towers over the east gate always looks like a mushrooms for him and he giggles quietly. He support himself on the nearest loophole and wathes aimlessly at the distance in the direction, where the Koningur`s army marched two days ago. The long columns of tall and tough Fiersdvain men and women, marching toward the ancient enemy of the humankind! The stinking lesser creatures no doubt pissing themselves in fear in front of the righteous army that would have clense their kind once and for all. The magnificient Koningur in his shining golden crown, bonded over his helmet, with gold plated armor over his fat Sarleon stud, surrounded from his personal guards. He made them heavy cavalry, similarly of the Ravenstern knights, but for any Fiersdvain it was still quite funny sight to see a proper Huscarl on some horse back. Still he curses agan his bloody fate, for he lost the lot, and that means that he fas forced to sit on his arse in the mighty fortress of Javiksholm, while all of his old comrades-in-arms went with Valdis to clean the unhuman scum from the face of Pendor, along with several stinking savages. He wondered briefly, what he could do to the captivated Noldor females. Since they weren`t humans no law protected them so he could …

He looks around carefully, but saw neither Birtum Ainfeldson, nor Dermund Krondenling at their posts into the towers. The only one in sight was Nilsen Gortrehtson, who went with heavy shuffling toward the latrine. So he put a hand under his armor, took the small metal bottle, unscrews it and took a large gulp from the strong drink insdie. A quick glance around showed to him nothing, so he allowed himself another quick gulp before to hide the bottle back into the secret pocket, sewn especially for it. He took his spear, cleaned his moustashes with the back of his palm and resumes his routine.
Slight breeze came from behind and he casually covers himself better with his cloak. The weather was still a bit cold at night, but not so much. He went into the shadow of the nearest guard tower.
Black as the night itself the small Tenari, Angammardulard, followed the human guard in the shadows, quite as the wind. His left hand grabs the human between the upper part of his armor and under the helmet. A quick, but strong grip broke his neck and he carefully put him onto the stone floor.

The door of the latrine opens and Nilsen Gortrehtson exit, still tightening his belt. He stares at the black horned figure against him. Angammardulard however, did not. He nailed the human to the wooden door trough his throat with the long spear. The creature issued weak sounds but died quickly. Angammardulard was unable to detect any more steps nearby, so he return to his landing place and raises two long black fingers toward the large red-skinned Baatetsu, who brought him here. Shartedder nods briefly, spreads his large wings and both with Negrla flyed up toward the upper embrasures. 
Negrla`s long muscular arm took the half-dozed guard`s helm and he snapped his fingers with force. The helmet into his hands bents, crushing the human`s skull inside it. There was no other guard in the upper level, so he flyed toward the nearest tower to kill some other guards, while the smaller black Tenari was ready to pull the iron grid and to open the heavy wooden gate to the incoming Heretic army.

Angammardulard sneak further toward the heavy reel, holding the thick chains for the town`s gate at place. Sudden smell of old sweats and fat made him to press himself to the wall behind the nearest door. It opens with sound creak and another guard moves forward, oblivious for the presense in the shadow. The black figure sneaks behind him and coughed hoarsely.
The guard began to turn around.
“Einhard, I told y..”
He wasn`t able to finishes his words. A black hand with sharp nails tears his cheap chainmail piercing trought metal and bones, grabbed his heart in deadly grip and tore it with unhuman strength. A stream of blood quenched the torch next to them and the guard fell dead. Another voice spoke from the inner room, heavy with annoyance.
“Can`t you at least piss without waking the bloody Noldor freaks in Elacrai, you fat son of a pig! I swear in Thalo`s name, that I`ll …”

The other guard stand at the door frame, blinking toward the darkness outside. A single black hand touched his throat for a moment and left with most of his larynx. He fell in agony, holding his throat, while his own blood quickly left his body along with his life. His body trembles once, twice and remains motionless in death. Two black figures came inside and released the pulley. The heavy double town gates began to open.
Soon the darkness beyond the town walls becomes somehow thick but for Angammardulard`s eyes it was clear as if bright daylight. He could see the Heretic cavalry riding toward the town, their hooves covered with rags to decrease the noise. Every horse wear two of the small creatures of these lands, the others just run behind the cavalry. The other Tenari spreaded at the whole eastern wall did their job quietly and efficient, killing all guards so no one was left alive to sound alarm. Of course, it was only a matter of time before someone to notice the army, but it was too late. The large gates were open, and the guard towers above it were guarded …
“What is that noise for Thalo`s sake!”

The angry shout came from the stone stairs leading toward the guard toom. Small creature in chainmail came into Angammardulard`s sight and stare toward him, then quickly draw his sword screaming. Angammardulard`s scream was stronger, full with bloodthrust and joy, as the Heretic army began to spill inside the fortress. The creature came toward him, screaming, and slashes at him with his sword. Fernnistaaldre`s fist hit the creature from behind, killing it instantly. She smiles at him for a brief moment before to run toward the next creature, climbing the stairs. There was still a lot of work for them.

Valdis sat on his throne inside his own tent and accepted the insincere greetings of duke Aelfwine Briesenweldt. But he was an enemy of the stinking savage and it was quite unlikely to pretend for his support for Valdis.
“I do understand, that you have some quarrels with Rambulhwa.”
“It is just that, my lord.” The duke responds with hard voice. “He killed my younger brother and kidnaps my wife. He cut off her finger along with her wedding ring and sent it to me in a wooden box! I want to cut off his head and to impale it at the gate of my town!”
“I heard that you cheated him.” Valdis look with interest how the duke`s face, red in fury, turn even redder. “I heard that you didn`t paid him.”
“It was just a slightest delay, due to some of my lazy servant’s mistake! I`m a honest and honourable man! I can`t allow my honour of a nobleman to suffer stains from some baseless accusation of a stinking tribesman!”
/spoiler]

Eyegrim the Devourer

He fell upon amidst the archers with such furious shout, that some of them remained frozen on their places without even to draw their short bows. He slice apart the first, catch somebody`s arm and tore it without efforts, spreading the other around him with blood. It finally awoke them from their stupor, they took swords and axes from their belts and run toward him with batlle cries. Mreedvaardu cut off two heads with a wide slash of his long black sabre, crushes another man`s skull with his shield and began to walk forward reaping the men against him. No armor or shield was able to withstand his strikes but the lesses creature doesn`t lack bravery and began to surround him. He used his large wings to hit the nearest axemen and they fell back with painful screams. Yet more and more came toward him. An axe got his left leg above the knee and he roared in pain, swinging in wide ark against his attacker. The half-naked man, wearing two-handed axe skillfully evade his strike and tried to hit the same place, with the obvious intention to cripple his leg. Mreedvaardu left the lesser creature to live another moment and then sliced him on two. The upper part fell right in front of the next one, he fell and the large demon just gave him a kick that broke his spine. He opens his mouth and issue a powerful roar.

The other Baatetsu fell around him as huge predator birds, tearing apart the Fiersdvain archers and the few infantrymen with them. While the Fiersdvain and the former Sarleon forces tried to counter attack, the Heretic cavalry reaches them and began to trample over the warriors, trying to form a shield wall. Alas, their formation was unable to hold heavily armored warhorses over the hard ground. They were overwhelmed and trampled to a bloody pulp. When Valdis`s huskarls and the duke`s knights came to fight them, their warhorses panicked from the smell of the demons and their terrific roar. The warhorses were trained for batlle against other humans and horses, but the poor animals were just that – animals, and for them the demons were just predators, trying to eat them. They spread in panic all over the battlefield, throwing their rides, crushing men and other animals in their blind terror. Duke Aelfwine manages to surrender to a Heretic Magni, while Valdis was eaten alive from a large sub-officer amidst the bloodied battlefield. For a single candle time the entire Valdis`s army was devastate, a good third from his men found their death alongside their Koningur.

Mreedvaardu looks around with satisfaction. The large army was crushed with acceptable casualities, many were taken alive and his Confessors already began to prepare their field altars for the incoming sacrifices. He gave order to build his tent, and when it was ready, send a message trought his mirrior. Soon the dull surface clears, revealing a Baatetsu female. He bows, but not before to see her smile.
“Princess, allow me to report my progress. I w…”
The little Tenari at her left side suddenly interrupt him.
“Know your place, Benazi! Kneel to a Princess from Qaggoth family!”
Mreedvaardu bare his teeth in fury, but quickly knelt and kept his head low until he was able to speak with controlled voice.
“The lesser scion of Benazi, Mreedvaardu, greets the mighty Princess of Qaggoth.”
The slave spoke again.

“This lesser creature insulted you, my mistress. Fifty lashes will be enough.”
Qaggoth-Jeag made a grimace, that made the smaller Tenari to step back, but he hold himself and even add.
“The lesser creatures must know their places. The law and order must be held.”
“Yes, but a bit later.” She turn toward the handsome young Benazi and graciously gave him permission to stand. It was against the protocol, but still …
He proudly rises on his feet and she saw a fresh wound onto his left leg.
“You`ve been in battle. Report.”
Mreedvaardu forced himself to look calm into her eyes.
“The lesser creatures, led by those called “Koningur Valdis” are broken. Their army is devastated and lay blodied on the battlefield. Many died, the rest awaiting their end over the altars. Fiersdvain`s capitol is under my control, hold from one of my armies. I`ll join them soon to proclaim my victory over their country. If Your Highness permits, I would like to invite you there on a small celebration in honour of the victory.”

Qaggoth-Jeag notice with satisfaction, that his eyes doesn`t broke contact and nod with approval.
“You are brave and resourceful warrior. With a combined strike you managed to capture a whole country. I`m pleased from your efforts. Do continue.”
The small slave spoke again.
“The captives could be brought for sacrifice into the town, so the other creatures may see it and learn the price of disobedience. But your presence is too large honor for a lesser scion of Benazi.”
“But it is my will!” Qaggoth-Jeag cut off the theme with sharp tone and he bow almost to the ground. “I permit Benazi-Mreedvaardu to bring his captives into the lesser creatures`s capitol for the sacrifices, and I`ll visit him there myself.”
Mreedvaardu knelt and spoke a few words of gratitude. It went better than he could anticipate.
When the contact broke, the princess turns toward her slave.
“You were unnecessary rough during the meeting. The young warrior is brave and capable of great deeds. For a few days only he manages to capture an entire country. He is obedient, yet I sense that you doesn`t approve his actions much. Explain yourself.”

The slave bow to her but look right into her eyes and spoke with hard voice.
“He is a Benazi, an enemy of your family and shows disrespect to you in front of you and your slaves. He is using both Tenari and Baatetsu for his so called “achievements” and they ensure him great advantage over the lesser creature, so his “victory” isn`t that meaningful as he tries to present it to you, my mistress. He also forgot to mention, that he had a third army. Also, my spy reported, that his messenger met your sisters. They already gathered a considerable force from the locals, appearing to them as mystical “The Three Seers”.
“I`m sure, that he can explain everything to me, when I meet him in Javiksholm. Make the necessary preparations for my departure.”
The slave bow again and left the hall in haste. None of his warnings has been heard. Again. His teeth creacked furiously when he reaches his room at the end of the long corridor. Another blue-robed figure waiting for him there. At his gesture, the huge mirror waivers and he steps forward.

Bergrhdrengt began to move uncomfortably over his warbeast. The rare horned breed manages to sense his impatience and gnarl to confirm his own.
“Keep your animal under control, or I`ll cut you on two!”
The quite order, given with low voice behind him made him almost to jump and he began to turn back, when a sudden movement caught his attention. A horned figure that wasn`t there only a moment ago steps forward behind the nearest tree.
“I`m a slave of princess Qaggot-Jeag. I require immediate meeting with the commanding Baatetsu here.”
Reun look down at the lesser Tenari. She knew who was he.
“Who brought you here, slave?”
Gaduilm recognize the marks over her black armor and spoke with a slight bow.
“Greetings, Nearga-Reun. You are far away from home, I see. And in quite bad company, just as before.”

Her jaws tightened.
“You are one insolent creature. One day the princess will tire from your tricks and I`ll eat your hearts while they are still beats.”
“My hearts aren`t in any danger. But I`ve never even imagine that you will be stupid enough to align yourself with a member of Benazi. Are you lost your mind completely, to rebel against the rulling family?”
“I … “ She felt herself a bit unsure. “What are you talking about? I`m not a traitor!”
“Yet you follow the lying Benazi, who`s eyes are upon my mistress`s power and you are ready to kill yourself and all of your warriors, trying to ambush a superior force. He is after her power, we both know why. But why do you want to die with him? I though that you want to save what is remained from your own family, not to eradicate it. Am I wrong?”
She began to swell under her armor. Her wings began to tremble slightly.
“The battle plan is clear. My task is just to kill the Hero of Pendor. He and his warriors will be here soon. A sudden attack and quick retreat will ensure the success of …”

“HIS success, and your death both in one action. Are you so stupid that you didn`t even scouted ahead and behind yourself?”
“I`m not an idiot, Gaduilm!”
“Then why in Erida`s own blood you are ready to attack 18000 Noldor warriors in front of you, with only 9600 Heretics and a few dozens of Baatetsu and perhaps a hundred Tenari cavalry?”
“But … but my scouts said that …”
“Let me guess …” Gaduilm sighed heavily. “They are from Benazi. And I can`t see them nowere near just before the battle.”
Nearga-Reun looks around only to see that her scouts were … absent.
“What? Where are they?”
“Away from here, congratulating themselves for sending you to a certain death. I told you that you are quite a beauty, but you are still too naive for the big Famillies.”

She recalls just in time that her enemy is near, so she closes her mouth with efforts, while she wanted to scream her fury to the clouds above. The slave continue.
“Only 270 years ago almost your entire family was destroyed. Do you want to die so badly?”
“But he promised …”
“He is a Benazi, a great family with aspirations reaching the throne. The small families like yours are just tools on his way, nothing more. Your death will serve him better than your life. He manage to bring your family in one fruitless conspiracy against my mistress, but he went away unscattered, while your family were executed for treason instead him.”
“What are you talking about, slave?”
“He sent your father and his warriors against my mistress, while she accepted an envoy from Farassirdn. He led him to believe that only his enemy was there. When he saw my mistress it was already too late, he attacked a princess from Qaggoth family. I explained it to Qaggoth-Shaal that you were deceived, and she spared your life, because you were just a kid. And you were there with her at that time so she knew that you are innocent as a kid as you still are. Benazi aren`t your friends, but your enemies.”

“Oh, and you are my friend then?” She tried to look imperious while her hearts began to beats faster.
“Think for a moment with your own horns, instead with somebody else`s. The “hero” is a puppet of my mistress. He will bring Pendor to her on a golden plate. She will conquer the whole continent without a single battle. If you attack him now …”
Nearga-Reun`s hearts misses a beat in sudden realization.
“Attack against princess’s slaves is attack toward herself. A treason!”
“I`m leading him for a meeting with my mistress. Attack me, and she will have your head.”
She froze. Gaduilm was right. He was amongst the princess`s favourite slaves and it was well known that she killed not one or two of those, who dared to attack him during the last centuries. She gulp with tied throat.
“I didn`t knew it!”
“Of course! That`s why I`m here – to help you.”

“What must I do? I`m not a traitor! I don`t want to be executed! And my family …”
Gaduilm felt that it is time for a gesture of good faith.
“When the wretched Benazi came back to check why you are still alive – kill them. Preserve their heads until I tell you to show them to my mistress. Don`t reveal your presence. Go with your human slaves to Benazi-Mreedvaardu as “reinforcements”. After all, all human armies will gather at Javiksholm. Benazi already took the town for themselves and filling it with their loyal warriors while we speak. Mreedvaardu will try another coup for his family and if you choose the wrong side again …”
Gaduilm didn`t finishes, but it wasn`t necessary. Reun holds herself.
“You will play his ally until he made his move. Then "Eyegrim the Devourer" will devour himself.”

Ralphin noticed how the tent was unlike most of the lords'. It was basic; a small wash basin, a low table filled with parchments with leather stools around it, a couple of furs and cushions. He bowed before Hatakir, saying, "My Lord. I bring a message from his majesty," handing out a sealed parchment. Donavan on the other hand moved away from the two and took a seat on one of the leather stools. These had been crafted by Kahad, the master tanner at Torbah, who worked at Hatakir's tannery. The stools folded like scissors allowing for easy packing.

Hatakir's silence as he read it to himself made the air in the tent quite solemn, "I, King Gregory hereby declare you as the new marshall. The lords of the realm and their armies are at your disposal. I await your reply at Ravenstern." Hatakir held up his hand and said, "You have ridden quite a distance and the news you deliver is truly troubling, for a week ago I met Duke Alexis at Rane ready to field an army of 3,000 strong, with more Ravenstern lords soon to be joining him." "Count Ivanus, Count Otto and Count Gairebold were with him but they managed to escape," Ralphin added.

Hatakir listened attentively, pondered a moment and asked, "Is there word on Ulric's movement?" Ralphin was quick to answer, "It is said King Ulric has hired the services of the Sarno Expedition, Duke Aelfwine, Baron Alfried, Duke Brennus, Duke Alamar and Baron Caderyn accompany him. All together their army numbers 50,000, with 20,000 being heavy cavalry. Their last camp was at Avendor."

Hatakir stood up and said, "Thank you, return to the King and tell him I accept the honour. But first Donavan shall show you to Leslie to provide your ration and a fresh horse." With that, Ralphin and Donavan move to exit when Hatakir says to Donavan, "Call the commanders together." Donavan bangs a fist on his chest covered by a Shadow Legion Centurion's armor.

Once outside, Ralphin looks at Donavan and is surprised to see a wry smile twist itself on his face.

eDu kIggZ said:
Ralphin noticed how the tent was unlike most of the lords'. It was basic; a small wash basin, a low table filled with parchments with leather stools around it, a couple of furs and cushions. He bowed before Hatakir, saying, "My Lord. I bring a message from his majesty," handing out a sealed parchment. Donavan on the other hand moved away from the two and took a seat on one of the leather stools. These had been crafted by Kahad, the master tanner at Torbah, who worked at Hatakir's tannery. The stools folded like scissors allowing for easy packing.

Hatakir's silence as he read it to himself made the air in the tent quite solemn, "I, King Gregory hereby declare you as the new marshall. The lords of the realm and their armies are at your disposal. I await your reply at Ravenstern." Hatakir held up his hand and said, "You have ridden quite a distance and the news you deliver is truly troubling, for a week ago I met Duke Alexis at Rane ready to field an army of 3,000 strong, with more Ravenstern lords soon to be joining him." "Count Ivanus, Count Otto and Count Gairebold were with him but they managed to escape," Ralphin added.

Hatakir listened attentively, pondered a moment and asked, "Is there word on Ulric's movement?" Ralphin was quick to answer, "It is said King Ulric has hired the services of the Sarno Expedition, Duke Aelfwine, Baron Alfried, Duke Brennus, Duke Alamar and Baron Caderyn accompany him. All together their army numbers 50,000, with 20,000 being heavy cavalry. Their last camp was at Avendor."

Hatakir stood up and said, "Thank you, return to the King and tell him I accept the honour. But first Donavan shall show you to Leslie to provide your ration and a fresh horse." With that, Ralphin and Donavan move to exit when Hatakir says to Donavan, "Call the commanders together." Donavan bangs a fist on his chest covered by a Shadow Legion Centurion's armor.

Once outside, Ralphin looks at Donavan and is surprised to see a wry smile twist itself on his face.

More plz

The Three Seers

They run as fast as they could, but the D`Shar cavalry were almost at them. Qaggoth-Semal was able to see the screaming horde of unwashed little savages, riding toward her over the small hornless animals of the local breeds. It was inevitable, they would have caught them before they were able to reach the nearest forsest south of Clovindarn village, that layed burned and devastated behind her. She had no other choice but to use her Eastern Rogue Knights to delay the enemy, so her more valuable Seer Initiates, Favourites and Doomguides could escape along with the fodder of Sarleon deserters. She sends mental command to their commander, count Albdarlo Serdelis, and her spell forced the man to race right to his own death. His knights lower their lances for charge and form battle rank against the barbarians. The horde continue toward them without delay, they could see the distorted from fury faces against them, riding in tight host against them. A numerous host, bristling with the tips of spears and glaives, waiving sabres, maces and axes, howling for blood. The count shouts an order and race first against the horde. The savages splits before him and began to ride left and right with fearsome shouts.

He shouts another order to follow them and his men splits on two wings, riding after the savages. His heavy warhorse was already tired from the gataway and he was unable to reach the faster horsemen. A lone horseman in scale armor, wearing long rusty-red glaive came right to him and the count pointed the long knight lance toward him. The savage close fast, lower himself with ease just before the tip of the lance and then swing left and up and his horse continue to ride toward the runaways. Albdarlo`s left shoulder fell to the ground, his hand still holding the shield in dead grip. Fountain of blood spreads from the wound. He manages to stay in the saddle for a few more moments and then his body slowly inclines and fell from the horse. A few heartbeats later a horseman, wearing green standard with white lamp, trample over his body, as well as many others.
Then the horde closes its howling mass from both sides, encircling the knights entirely, and the massacre began. More and more horsemen followed, swallowing the five hundreds thirty eight knights quickly and efficiently.
The second Seer, Qaggoth-Esal, turns the fodder back against the horde and spread her huge wings.

The Theree Seers fly above them and releases fireballs at the incoming horde. Dozens warriors and horses fell dead, others throw aside burning cloaks and parts of equipment, and continue to ride forward. The horde splits in rows, widening the front more and more, so the next fireballs were less deadly. Many horsemen torn parts from their cloaks and used it to bind their horses eyes. Hundreds of arrows suddenly fill the air above them, and Qaggot-Igae roared insanely, when her wings were pierced on dozens of places. Her desperately attempt to take height just widen the arrow holes more and more and she began to fell down. Her sisters, more lightly wounded than her, caught her just above the ground. They landed heavily and released more fireballs upon the advancing horde. Many fell, many more came behind them and soon the Three Seer fell in a pile of limbs, tangled in thick nets.
Behind them, a huge cloud of arrows darkened the midday`s sun and fell upon the tired infantrymen. Those of them, who still weren`t throw away their shields manage to cover themselves, the others just fell on bloodied piles. Warcries of foreign language came from the forest, followed from thousands voices roar. Two thousands Noldor cavalry came from the flanks, while multi-thausands infantry marched forward in tight ranks, covered themselves with large shields.

Some members of the broken Seer`s army throw their weapons. The Noldor ranks stopped. Seeing it, the rest also drop their weapons and allowed to be taken captives.
Zahir Khan join the other Khan`s, looking at the bloodied battlefield. None of them spared a single gaze upon the thousands corpses, nor looted a single sabre from the dead, and then he saw the captives. Taller than any man, even taller than the Noldor, the red-skinned captives laid on the bloodied ground, tied with heavy chains, suitable to lift a castle mobile bridge.
“Are they … demons?”
Jehangir Khan raises his massive shoulders.
“I suppose that they could be. They seems that they don`t speak our language. Even a few Noldor tried, but alas …”
A few blue-robed figures with horned helmets came closer to Rambulhwa and exchanged a few words with him. He waives a hand with indifference and one of them steps closer.

“I`m a weapon merchant from Singal. My name is Gaduilm. With your permission, I`d like to speak with your captives, warlords.”
“I know you, honorable Gaduilm.”  Zahir Khan nod to him politely. “My father, Caliph Tahir, always holds your stock in high regard. The anscient shiled that you sold me saved my life more than once. You may try.”
The merchant bow politely and step forward, speaking of unknown for the Khans language. One of the captives responds.
“You know their language?”
“In my younger days I sailed far away trough the salted water and I found strange nations. But I do believe that I can recognize the language. These females are princesses from a nation called “Baatetsu”. The Pendor inhabitants often call them “demons”. Unless you intent to kill them, I can offer you ten horses for each of them.
Zahir Khan hesitates and his beardless face wrinkles.

“Why they are here? What they want fron us?”
“They hunt and sacrifice any mortal they are able to catch to their goddess, Erida Occisor. They will not stop, until they brough her back from whatever place she is now. Since these outcasts are here, many more will follow them.”
Jehangir Khan spit in front of his boots.
“I saw Kaivan Khan when one of them throws a fire upon him. He and his horse died before to fell on the ground. As many of his warriors. They are dangerous and have magic. Kill them.”
“It will be of little use.” Gaduilm spoke with calm and reasonable tone. “They are only three runaways. There are armies of Baatetsu, just like them. See how many fell from only the three of them. Pendor does not have enough men to hold them off.”
“What you suggest then, merchant.”
“To make peace.”

The peacemaker

The tent was spacious. It was bare, except the rags on the hard ground and the three chained prisoners inside it. Twenty tribesmen holding heavy sabres in hands were alert for their every movement, ready to slice their throats. The captives’ wounds still bleeds, the torn wings itched and hurt savagely, yet the Three Seers sat facing each other, covered in chains, waiting for their death.
A lone blue robed figure came silently. But not silent enough for their ears.
“So the gnat came at last.” Qaggoth-Esal hissed though clenched teeth. “What took you for so long? I`ve expected you days ago.”
“I beg your forgiveness, Your Highness. But my mistress kept me well occupied. I barely have had any time for myself. I can assure you, that I came running at the first word for your radiant presence here. It is a real honour to be in the same world with you.”

The voice sound sincere and obedient enough, yet Qaggoth-Semal was able to hear his spiteful joy, seeing them in such humiliating for their race and status position. She tried to force her chains in fury. In the next heartbeat three sharp blades were pressed at her throat and rough voice bark something.
“Please, Your Highness, hold yourself. The savages are illiterate brutes, they had no idea of your real value. I can`t bear the thoughts, that they may scratch the priceless tip of your finely polished nails. It would be a true disaster, don`t you agree?”
Qaggoth-Igae wasn`t able to hold herself any longer.
“You miserable slave! How dare you to address your better in such a way! I`ll tear your …”
“Yes, yes, yes. You are so dreadful and so on and so forth, Your Highness. I`m so very terrified, yes indeed I am.” The robed man`s voice was sleek and almost greasy from his overwhelming joy of the situation. “But I almost lost my mind from worry about your well-being! How silly of me! You will be dragged in front of my mistress quickly, you may count on me, your most lesser minion!”

The three feels shiver of cold terror freezing their spines almost simultaneously. The punishment from their older sister would have been … more or less the same that any of them would have done in her boots. Which was enough to freeze them for some time, thinking over all the unpleasant expectation in great details, finishing with their sister`s skull collection. Well, probably on some respectable place amongst it, if it could be of any comfort.
The lesser slave continue with voice, heavy of seemingly flawless respect.
“My mistress values you so high, that she ordered extensively preparations for your arrival! It seems that you may outlive even Qaggoth-Tru`Ad! The poor thing went completely mad before her sad … so sad end. I was devastated to see her in such sorrow for her esteemed rank situation!”
Qaggoth-Igae presses her jaws together, preventing her teeth to chatter so soundly. She kept her tail inder her garment not to reveal her trembling. She spoke with deaf voice.
“And I suppose that your loyalty can not be bought?”
“It it can, it would not be loyalty. Is it not?”

“What do you want?”
“Ah, that is a question worth a thousands sacrifices!”
The three suddenly felt a spark of hope. Futile, surely, completely false, no doubt … yet could it be …
“You are her prime tail-licker for seven hundreds eighty two years. I don`t believe that you can suddenly left her and change the sides.”
“And you will be right, Your Highness.” Gaduilm responds with his usual courtesy. “Up to the last year I would enjoyed the look of your perfectly preserved faces, barking insanely from some transparent boxes for my mistress guests … but since then I was enlightened from another idea. Perhaps you will find it more … acceptable than her ideas …”
The spark of hope holds a few moments longer this time. Perhaps … this lesser creature wanted something from them.
“Perhaps …” Qaggoth-Esal knew that she would have hate herself for an eternity because of her submissive tone only, and a few more because of the other … hints in her voice. “But at least I could live to hate myself!” she thought and continue. “… I can convince you to give me one chance!”
“All of you.” Came the sleek voice behind her back.
“Done.”
“Done.”

“How perfectly we understand each other!” Gaduilm almost giggle from joy. “So when you stand before my mistress, you will claim that Benazi- Mreedvaardu forced you to attempt to assassinate her.”
“No one will believe in that!” Qaggoth-Igae felt her hope to diminish into nothing. “She will tear us piece by piece!”
“No one needs to believe in anything.” Gaduilm continue, using the moment of their weakness. “You will tell her, that the Benazi forced you to do it. Nearga-Reun was the contact between him and you. She will confirm your every word. When I add a few more reliable sources, it will be convincing enough.”
“Who is this Mreedvardu?” Qaggoth-Esal asked confused.
Qaggoth- Semal tried not to keep her hopes too high.
“A lesser scion of Benazi family. A youngster, about a thousands year’s old or even younger. The rumors are that he tries to become her consort for about a century. Good warrior but nothing extraordinary. Handsome one, a bit larger for a male, well build …” She tried to concentrate over her current situation again. “What is in for you, lesser creature? What could you possibly gain from it, that you are ready to let us live? What could be worth our lives for you?”
“Perhaps one day you will understand.” Gaduilm took a long parchment under his robe. “Meanwhile I allowed myself to prepare a contract …”

When all three of them signed the contract and each one of them took her copy, Gaduilm unlock their chains and send the guards outside. Three tribesmen, wearing common kaftans came with various cures and began to threat for their wounds.
“What do you think of it?” Qaggoth-Esal spoke first. “I don`t believe this lesser creature.”
“I heard that she may favour the Benazi boy. She always prefers the handsome ones.” Qaggoth-Semal gnarls at the healer when he tried to pull her left wing and spreads it herself for him.
He carefully began to remove the remaining arrows, cleaning the gaps with great care. Obviously the lesser Tenari taught them how to care for their wounds.
“I can only guess that he hates this Mreedvardu even more than us.” Qaggoth-Igae sat carefully and allows the healer to care for her legs. Some horses tramples all over them and she took her fair share along the others. Fortunately, due to their innate regenerative ability their wounds were painful, but not too dangerous. They were able to recover from almost anything but mortal strike. “But for now we have no other choice.”

Back
Top Bottom