Users who are viewing this thread

saxondragon

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Pendor Tales
Version 3.7

Share your
-funny - surprising - odd - amazing - heroic-
Tales of Adventure

(Really- I want to hear your observations - SD)

I have barely began my campaign on 3.705, after importing my(incredibly unlucky) level 8 character from 3.702. And when I say unlucky I mean "120 days without seeing a single morningstar on any shop anywhere" unlucky.

So, I picked the same choices as before, but instead decided to do a xenophobic run - my current goal is to unite all of Pendor and destroy the pointy-ears' base(wherever that is). Also I won't touch bows/noldor gear because they use those so they are icky. What do I find in Torbah, my starting city? A masterwork morningstar for 12k! Holy ****, I'm all happy and stuff, so I spend 3 days there for the prices of Salt to normalize a bit so I can make some cash with my 5(+2) Trade, buy five sacks of it and leave for Ishkoman... to find a Heavy Doom Mace on sale.

It's a signal of the gods, I tell you. They want the elves to burn.

July 27, 355
(Day 492)

Dear diary,

This night I was attacked by those damned Scorpion Assassins once more. After the sixth time they beat you up and steal some chump change from your pockets you start to wonder: are they are really assassins, or just cosplaying bandits? Seriously, they are starting to remind me of those tavern thugs I used to deal with during my times as an entertainer in Barclay. But I disgress.

This time, however, things went a bit differently. I listened to Ansen's advice for once - the man is becoming beast, by the way; he saved me last week by cleaving through horse and rider with a single swing - and brought my trusty siege crossbow with me to meet my merchant contact in Torbah. Turns out that Scorpion Assassins can't aim their daggers very well if they have a bolt stuck in the eye. Who knew?

In an unrelated note, I got a new helmet. Or I'll have one, once I can get the smell of blood out of it.

Goodnight,

Raviollius
Heir Apparent of the throne of Pendor and mercenary captain

After 100 days or so...

Started my game as a renegade knight, a bard whose life was changed totally upside australiwards after receiving a dubious letter. My only choices were Javi and the D'shar, so i chose the orcs as my starting point, closer to the Black Pearl in Rane if you get my drift. I gots meself 2k gold, i'm from Pendor of Old and i meet Foxy Sara right away. Sara is not necessarily the best starting companion, but she's got a white courser which i can't wait to ride. I head whistling to the snow lands and encounter on my way some hospitalier highway men who offered to hold my newly aquired horse for a while. Being the polite type of future king, i graciously accept and we exchange gifts at departure, seeing as i took their sorry hedz they had on their shoulders, and a superb ragged outfit which gently outlined my eyes and fitted me better than meat fits Gaga. So me and Sara arrive in Rane only to find out with displeasure that i have to disguise myself as a poorer poor guy and my super raggs were kinda last year. I would also meet Ansen in Rane and later head off to Torbah to meet the bookmaker. Due to starting choices, very little leveling up and some grinding, after a few days i am at 12 strenght, can wear some good kettle helm which i bought and a studded chain i looted. It's four of us, I also picked Leslie somewhere in the south.

Two weeks later we're standing on our first enterprise, velvet in Javi. I also hired Leth, since i got kinda lucky and received the Red Brotherhood map. Ansen and Sara are gone, spreading the word about their new king. Party skills tend to be much more useful in later stages so i'd rather send the low levels comps spread the word right as they join, since later on when i pick the kinghts in party, they will level up much faster anyway. So, together with Leth, a knight of the falcon which i got from a slaver and a bunch of mercenary highlanders i hired right on spot, i gots the second trophy. Head to the bookmaker with great treasure, and get my char pumping an amazing agi of 21 in two weeks, which allows for some good riding and looting. Which is funny cause soon afterwards i encounter a party of some 5 knights of the lion who couch my courser to the ground and knock leth down right near me, allowing me to ride his supernoldor flutey foaly fellow and loot some great KotL gear which will afterwards fit Jocelyn, as an even better trade for his burnished armour which i like really much. I can now establish my fifth industry. Janos is the only town where i build a tannery, since sometimes velvet here gives very little, but it really hits my wallet.  Also, i first establish industries in the kings' residences, cause sooner or later they'll be upset when i refuse vassalage and i don't want to have to quest for positive relationship. Get my pumpkin a good helmet, to fit my burnished armor.

Spend time after that with grinding some bandits, keeping my party companions only, so we're oftenly 3-6 against some 20-30 but when you got the crazy noldor, things run smooth. Not 50 days into game i find Maltise leading her snake giant army of 20 bandits, an anaconda knight and no less then some 800 prisoners. Here's my toughest choice in the game, yet. I easily take on Maltise, personally couching the madam no less than 4 times until she agreed to show me her prizes. But, what the heck do i do with an army of hundreds, most of them empire solid troops, so early in the game? So i disband them rascals and set the unemployment rate in the empire to new heights. My plan is to openly fight the fierds, help sarleon when and where i can, submine the d'shar versus empire by releasing lords from prisons and take the nords for myself. But that'd be later. We are now about 7-8 and almost all the party is set up. I will have 4 more companions and all the industry ready in a few weeks and i got lucky i guess. Also, i started pushing strenght for the hakw bow i recently got, it looks so good b.b. king would play that chord.

Plan after that is i can get some money up and start equipping my party with some real deadly stuff, i like to push strenght even for weakass noobz like Ansen or Sara. With a little even more bastardly  luck i can also get to open Quif's, although i noticed fewer noldors than i was used to. Hopefully some intensive chat with the local lords will spawn an elf or two; Wolfbode is up and i decided to keep the bow so i'm hiding it well back under some roots. They looted Poinsbruck already and the Raves ar at war with Reds, losing badly, so i guess the tribes of Vejovis will be here a while. As for politics, orcs are sieging Singal, but the winds blow strong yet.

Regards from my travels,
The Future King of Pednor, He Who Purposedly Misspelled That And Yes He Meant Kinghts Also

I am the closest descendant of the former king of Pendor, and arrived via ship to Javiksholm. After arriving I am tasked with saving the son of a merchant from the fierce Vanskerry Raiders. I gather 10 men from the surrounding villages, teach them slaughter through the hunting of common banditry, and then let them loose on the viking-esque villains. Surprisingly, only one of the combatants seems to pose any challenge, and I am forced to slay them personally. After the dust has settled, only one of my men had fallen in battle, and it twas but a flesh wound, so he is given the rare privilege of fighting another day. After letting the Vaskerry leader go in exchange for the location of the lost brother, I give my men deserved promotions. Judging them to be worthy of finishing the fight on the vaskerry's home turf, we head out on the remainder of our journey. We head in to the kidnapper's hideout, reequipped with the spoils of the last battle, and show them the will of the upcoming claimant to the throne of Pendor.

It suppose to be a usual Sunday lazy morning... even before I open my eyes, I feel something is not right - smell of grass and blow of wind... moment, I was drinking last night, but not as much to fell sleep in some park or garden, I'm pretty sure I went to bed.

what the ***, where am I, wearing strange clothes and riding horse??? I never done it before..
take a quick look into pockets and sacks, I found rusty short sword, small dagger and broken shield, what I suppose to do with it?
not far away there was a big city, build from wood and stone, I went into... wait! what do you want from me? my money? I don't have any... I manage to kill a bastard, but how, I don't know as I keep sword for a first time in my life, real sword, not children's wooden one
I was ready when next guy came... not, he doesn't want to rob me, he needs my help... really mine, there is so many better than me knights in this city, I believe
whatever I said, rescue mission could be fun...
firs step - visit tavern for some news and hire middle age women call Sara the Fox, she is not the strongest but very clever and keep me happy (you know what I mean), hehe

wasn't take long to get some villagers and I start tracing small groups of bandits, my men upgrade quickly, but my pockets not so, I need more money, a hell a lot of...
I'm not sure, it was a story heard by the fire, you know, camping and all your companions sitting by and telling strange stories, or maybe heard in some tavern, but they said there is hidden chest in city named Volonbray, somewhere south form here, so let's go there
in small village I buy a map of place called Fierdsvain, so now I know where I am :smile:

It was early morning when we came to Volonbray, take a walk around the city to find this chest... was well hidden and full of treasure, at last I have some money to hire more soldiers, so I went to tavern to find another companion called Bodice, young and very pretty girl from place named Barkley, she declare to be a queen, wow!
I decide, that before I come back to finish my quest, I will travel around all cities and try to employ more companions and some cavalery.
takes me about 3 weeks to do that, which I spend fighting bandits, traveling form one city to another and recruiting more men
I think, it was in Singal, capital city of Sarleon, when I meet Sister Mora who gave me a map of Rane, city in north where I can find another hidden chest... what a supprice! found strange stone, I was told that this gem could be trade for some magic mixture improving my skills or my companions... that nice

so, finish quest was quite easy, as in that time I had 20+ soldiers tier 2-3 and a bunch of handy companions, I'm free!
one of the Sarleone lords ask me to work for his king, but do I really want it? on one hand that give me a stable income, on another... I hate to be told what to do, so let's go to be independent captain of famous company, Dark Company

next couple months I spend building reputation, stronger army and of course, improving relationship with lords and Noldor, which wasn't easy when comes to choose side to fight and keep balance between all kingdoms and minor factions

after weeks or should I say, months of riding across map, I manage to get some positive relation with Noldor and keep friendship with most of kingdoms, now I leading 100-men strong army, I hope loyal to me as nearly all soldiers I recruit from prisoners I catch or free
I'm good-natured from bottom of my hart, never sold a single men, even heretics

to be continued...

I have a dream... not exactly mine, as one night i have a visit from bloody goodness Kali, who whispered to my ear some strange formulas and words, I can't even remember, and ask me to give her 100 of my men... 100 to sacrifice, then what for me?
happily, it was only a dream, but I receive my gift, a city of Cez... was taken by Sarleon, so I easily retake with my 100-men army
and it was my luck (or another gift from God), that all neighbors start war with them, so I was quite safe in that remote city, well equip with Shadow Legionares

so... I have my first city under 300-day in-game, make Boadice, sir Rayne and Roland my first lords and give them villages around Cez, so they can start building armies... for a future, for me... and to take Almera Castle of course!

I decide to change Dark Company into cavalery and knights only, as I have plenty of them from my past journeys (most of them are Sarleon and Ravenstain, all rescued prisoners)
my lords need time to gather some soldiers, so I can go far north to warm up a little, as there is a lady... northern beauty with drop of royal blood and a little of attention to myself, oh yes, all this tournaments working perfect for my favor... and my pockets :smile:

RED ALERT!!!
sir Joucelin, my minister, came all red and sweat
- my dear lord! Snakes awake and got a big army near by...
instantly send spies (ctrl+t) to find a size of them - they are big, 700 ssssoldiers, Jezusss... oh no, that name doesn't work in this realm, ****!

far to big for my brand new and sparkling lords,  so let's go to ask Noldor for help, I think 50 fast Knights on horses should do the job and a hope, that snakes follow me to Noldor...

tbc...

I'm a very conservative player in the sense that I don't take many risks, so my games usually last a lot of time. I wanted to change that a little when I heard that the Dread Legion appeared near Cez. it would be my first time against them, so I started getting my army ready and to convince the other lords to follow me. By the time I felt I was ready, I wanted to test my strategy. So it happened that a big Snake Cult army was close to Janos, so I decided that I would fight them first to test my might before facing the Dread Legion. As I am marching towards them, I hear the drums. The game is announcing me that a new Snake Cult army appeared. And they appeared very close to the other one, and close to poor Kyros Dux. And the two armies ganged him. Almost 2000 Snake Cultists against poor Kyros Dux.

Me? I just noped the heck out of there, dropped my allegiance with the empire and sought for safer lands.

The tale of a valiant knight

- start my quest in Raverstarn, as a former noble, son of a knight
- immediately start doing quests for lords, specifically targeting lords with desirable personalities
- Constant fight with Fierdswein, they are constantly taking over Raverstern castles (since they ALL follow their marshal, they wreck everything wit ha giant death ball)
- Ravenstern merc for roughly 3 months
- I manage to take one back and hold it till the war ends
- barely managed to defeat Wolfbode the Slayer (with the help of allies)
- got into the positive relations with the noldor
- save game and back it up (it turned out to be a wise move)
- offer vassalage, get village of Welden, marry Lady Katia
- Ravenstern declares war on D'Shar
- D'Shar captured Ethos, I lead an army to take it from them
- Take Ethos and recieve it
- Realise Raverstern is a s*** start due to geography, too much travel time, too hard to expand.
- Re-load, work as Merc for Sarleon
- woo 4 ladies, win tournaments, become Noldor buddy and the scourge of Jatu
- 3-4 month of Sarleon merc work, king still doesn't want me as vassal (despite 40+ relation). Sarleon doesn't go to war at all.
- don't renew contract, Ureic offer vassalage
- lord that had the best daughter I was wooing turns traitor and runs away
- Merry the second best
- spend several months as Sarleon vassal. No wars, despite provocations.

- no wars
- NO WARS

I just passed the 2000 day mark on my current game.

- Started a new game on 3.705
- Did my best as a D'shar merc while the Empire and Fierdswain dominated everything but a few select cities
- Leveled my companions, merc'd for sarleon and ravenstern at times
- Captured Marleons
- Defended against Ravenstern, Fierdswain and the Empire, declared for Sarleon
- Lost the city to a 2k Empire stack
- Manage to get it back shortly afterwards
- ******** Ulric doesn't give me the castle
- He didn't give me anything at all for five months
- Became merc again to get more denars since I lost it all
- Captured the city from the Fierdswain, declared for the Empire
- D'shar stack takes it from me only to lose it fifteen seconds later to the Empire
- I was in the dungeon at the time
- Marius is a complete ****(not as bad as Ulric though)
- At this point I don't have many options left(-50 relations with the Ravenstern king because I tried to get his sword)
- Become a merc AGAIN
- Half my companions have Pendor King helms at this point
- "Fight" for the Fierds, not that they need my help
- Eventually become a lord and take Ethos
- Half the map is green at this point, the other half is yellow
- Give over a hundred feasts nonstop
- Amass 1,5 million denars from prisoners
- Get Favorable relations with the pointy-ears by releasing some
- At this point almost all the Fierdswain lords have 50+ relationship with me
- The honorable ones, 100
- Get Janos for myself
- >60 RTR, the king doesn't want to give me anything else(82 relationship)
- As the marshall, I boycott the war with the Empire
- Stick 7k units in Ethos and 6k in Janos because screw doomstacks
- Captured Maras castle, revolted against the king

Now I'm hunting the world map for the Fierdswain lords, beating the **** out of them with ~100 Plaguewardens and 200 Empire Armored Crossbowmen and recruiting everyone I manage to capture. I refused a peace offering so far - I don't intend to stop until I have all their lords and fiefs.

I've been about as cheap in this playthrough as I can ever remember being in PoP. Maybe it was just because of the first castle and town I started out with, but it seems like much more of a grind.

-Started out D'shar based on available choices from background selection. mercenary, auto-finishing easy wins on battles already in progress with just some cheapo troops. ransoming lords. $$$
-Became a vassal, but nothing special. A couple of friends
-Left for Ravenstern after relations became 0 with them. Probably did some quests for Gregory before he let me
-Made more friends (+20's)
-Granted a castle, then lost it back to Sarleon. Ravenstern lost a second castle, then got it back. I was awarded it. Lost it again shortly after
-Left Ravenstern and tried to join Sarleon, but Ulric wouldn't accept me. Did quests for him, positive relations, still wouldn't let me join.
-Just hung around Sarleon, joining battles they would easily win. Talked to everyone involved after the battle for a +
-Eventually invited to join Sarleon, so I went to the capital to pledge fealty
-Got Longbeard, finally got settled. Established Silvermist (friendly w/ Noldor, also jumped in on a Wolfbode battle he was going to lose). Decent Sarleon garrison. more friends made
-Emptied it. Renounced my oath. Ran in to some farmers, said I was going to attack just to get negative relations then left them alone
-Took the castle. Started Kingdom
-(normal grind, sent companions off for RtR, waited for others to declare war against Sarleon.. eventually peace)
-Built up my garrison with the intent of splitting in half for my next conquest (around 1400 total, probably needed 3k total looking back)
-D'shar takes Laria, then I took said garrison and took it from them
-War forever. truce ended w/ Sarleon. was then at war with Sarleon & D'shar. Constantly jumping back and forth between Longbeard and Laria (which is my fault, but i just took what came open)
-Save Quitting to find out which siege would happen first and repel that attack. Laria is a lot easier for a cheesy defense. Both attacking troops around 2500 to 3000 in force. Fierdsvan eliminated at this point i think
-Tried using the friend foundation I built, attacking some Sarleon guys, but there was only a ransom option. Wasn't powerful enough for them to be curious about joining me
-Countless hours of jumping back and forth, so I said forget it and checked a box
-Made Lethaldrian a vassal. gave him Laria and all the cities attached. Ctrl+X'd him up a level, put towards intelligence, gave him a leadership and a pathfinding.
-Cheated some Qualis Gems, garrisoned Laria with Noldor Rangers until people left it alone (got three in a legitimate way, Wolfbode + two tourney wins, but these were Ctrl+I and cheatmenu)
-That finally got me a bit settled. Nobody that I beat wanted to join still. Took Gunders at some point and gave it to Jocelyn.
-Some moments of complete peace, but few and far between
-Ravenstern randomly declares war despite positive relations and never taking anything they had or took
-On down the road some more. Eventually fought Stephan w/ +40 rel. Beat him and he looked at me admiringly or whatever it says. Captured him and then accepted his fealty.
-Think I'm finally starting to get it rolling, but I don't think I ever would have without giving one up location and rebuilding around the remaining. I just didn't feel like going through all that again

Like I said, maybe it was the distance between Longbeard and Laria. Maybe it was that the Fierdsvan had been eliminated and already distributed among the remaining factions by the time I started cheating, but I went from having a blast... to, well, not for quite awhile. I never wait for multiple factions to be eliminated. All I know is that I laid a much better foundation than I had in previous play-through's and it still seemed like way more of a grind. I enjoy the increased lair and assassin difficulties though.

After 300 days

Although i really enjoy taking my time with this game, after 300 days i find myself in an unusual situation and have everything i need to start a kingdom. After fishing for bandits about 100 days near Marleons with my 12 companions, which gave me great loot without spoiling my relations with them,  i got to the point where i could afford to spend hundreds of kilos of gold for armor and horses. Actually, i think i bought stuff worth a mil by now, including a champion golden courser.  I like heraldic mail and i like to equip my companions with it. By the way, kudos to the devs for the brilliant idea of equipping the pendor troops with heraldry, i love it! I have 3 runed swords and 2 noldor horses, 2 gems in my inventory  after feeding the book seller another 3 of them. Except for my two lords, Roland and Rayne, who wear exquisite sword/morningstar, heavy lances, swayback nethers and of course, the reinforced lamelar armors. And i haven't even befriended the noldors yet. I decided the jatu, the eventide and the mysts are my enemas, while helping the renegade mysts (i don't know yet where that leads) so most of my battles recently where fought against them in order to gain farmers and refugees. Few days ago the orcs took senderfall and i decided to intervene, and not let them become too strong at such early point in the game, taking it back from them and proclaiming pendor. Now there are 2k green swine at my door and my sole mistake until now is not recovering the mystmountain bow from the enterprise in Javi, before i declared war on them. I was in a hurry, but it was totally worth it since at the moment fierds are warring me, sarleon and raves. We are almost 200 pendor and about 300 mercenary troops stationed in the town.

What my challenges were at the beginning at the game:
(i have followed all these and this will not change)

- Play at max difficulty, battles at 400. (actually, my dif is ~140% but most of it comes from manually blocking, couching and battlesize) but i do scum save because bugs and perhaps mistakes. I bravely avoided being imprisoned two times using my magic power saving. I hate it but sometimes when in a siege, the battle will effectively be lost until i manage to pass trough the stupid troops blocking my way. Especially when ~500 vs 2000 and most of the elites must be taken down fast. Also, no "nearby soldiers" command ever works in sieges or stuff.
- Never retreat from sieges. (actually, not doing anything which cheats game mechanics, except shooting arrows from a tower when defending. Also, in this category, never choose battleground and play the first one of the 3 choices, whatever it gives)
- Don't invest in surgery, wound treatment and first aid. Engineers and tactics are a no-go too.
- Never recruit anything other than pendor troops (i currently have ~180 troops, all of them pendor high tier but non-noble, all gathered one by one from jatus and mysts)
- Never merc or vassal for any king.
- Only have two lords until the end of the game, both promoted from companions. I took Roland for his incredible fidelity and Rayne for martial and noble.
- Make it so at the end of the game all the kingdoms are still there, with every king only having two lords: his honorable one and his martial strongest, just like mine. For example, Gundur and Redsword and konigur, holding javiksholm and villages.  Marius, Agathon and Kyrus holding janos and nearby villages, etc.
- Form a CKO which completes Pendor troops (i will go with light horse archers  to complete the pendor knights, riding black fast horses and probably a strong line of pikemen to add depth to the pendor foot knight/pendor grey archer); Also, no noldor armor aberation for these, but rather heraldry all the way onward)
- I have no idea how to actually use Morghs, because the only thing i would like is changing a KO's armor to what all my kingdom wears. I don't want some lordly lion green turquoise shadow legion helmets, i want everything smooth and elegant and universal. Also, my lords will train pendor. So perhaps i will edit the falcons to get some nice strong not blue horses and heraldic armor. I don't even mind them being girly. The helms i don't like so much but i gots lotsa female in my party and it will fit them later on.
- It's going smooth. It's going too smooth actually. I'm trying to find new objectives in order to prolongue my game. Once i repel this siege the orcs will be food for the other parties, and a peace for me would allow me to gather some thousand of armored bowmen and MAA which will be enough to start winning like crazy.  If you guys have ideas, please help me out. I don't want to handicap my playtrough tho, unless is for nice pendor roleplay reasons.
- Also, i love meself some immersion so i was wondering what you guys do about that.

I'm doing a D'Shar run this time, making my character just like the Scorpion Assassins. You can even start the game with an Assassin Throwing Knife when you make the right choices in the character creation. So I just got myself their armor and weapons and I'm ready to go. I have to be particularly careful because the Scorpion Assassin's armor will not protect you that much in 100%+ difficulty.

After grinding some renown and honor, I was finally able to join tournaments and that got the attention of the D'Shar. I got invited to be a vassal, got myself a fief. In the process, started working on the relationship with other lords for the future. I got pretty lucky in this game. Firstly, managed to snatch Lordly Items as rewards for Bounty quests with the Windriders. I can't use these items because of the rules I established (the character is a Scorpion Assassin, which means he can only use the gear that Scorpion Assassins use, so no Windrider Armor for him), so the companions are getting all the good stuff. At the same time, I managed to get very good relationship with Kaivan Khan, who have access to the Djaha Archers, the best pure archers the D'Shar can have, and Faridar Khan, who have access to a lot of Blademasters. But the biggest luck I got was with Rafik Bey. This guy loves my character, pretty much threw his daughter at him. He doesn't have access to special troops, but apparently the D'Shar leader trusts him a lot. As a marshal, this guy conquered two castles and received both of them. So Rafik Bey has three castles and one fief. If I were to rebel, I'm sure he would follow me, and that's a good advantage to have in the future. But here comes the thing: not only he became one of the most powerful and influent D'Shar vassal, but he also founded his own Knighthood Order, the Knights of the White Lilly. And they're pretty decent, Knights with 300ish WPF that apparently can use the bow. So now he's always around with 30-40 of these guys in his army, making him stronger than before.

But it's too early yet to plan a rebellion, so I'm just trying to be a good vassal. The Fierds kinda helped us, because they took a castle from one of the vassals that dislike me, so Rafik Bey recovered it and received the castle from the leader. The Fierds are screwed. There's a truce between the Fierds and the D'Shar, but the Fierds are getting destroyed by Ravenstern and Sarleon. I fear for them when the truce ends. The Empire is quietly watching this war between Ravenstern, Sarleon and the Fierds. All of three are in war with each other, but Ravenstern and Sarleon have yet to get into a big fight (and for the good of the Fierds, I hope they do). The smart thing for the Empire would be to take advantage and attack Sarleon. The stupid thing would be to attack the D'Shar.

For now I'm still getting money and trying to farm honor/renown. Let's see what will happen in the near future.

mniezo said:
After 300 days

Although i really enjoy taking my time with this game, after 300 days i find myself in an unusual situation and have everything i need to start a kingdom. After fishing for bandits about 100 days near Marleons with my 12 companions, which gave me great loot without spoiling my relations with them,  i got to the point where i could afford to spend hundreds of kilos of gold for armor and horses. Actually, i think i bought stuff worth a mil by now, including a champion golden courser.  I like heraldic mail and i like to equip my companions with it. By the way, kudos to the devs for the brilliant idea of equipping the pendor troops with heraldry, i love it! I have 3 runed swords and 2 noldor horses, 2 gems in my inventory  after feeding the book seller another 3 of them. Except for my two lords, Roland and Rayne, who wear exquisite sword/morningstar, heavy lances, swayback nethers and of course, the reinforced lamelar armors. And i haven't even befriended the noldors yet. I decided the jatu, the eventide and the mysts are my enemas, while helping the renegade mysts (i don't know yet where that leads) so most of my battles recently where fought against them in order to gain farmers and refugees. Few days ago the orcs took senderfall and i decided to intervene, and not let them become too strong at such early point in the game, taking it back from them and proclaiming pendor. Now there are 2k green swine at my door and my sole mistake until now is not recovering the mystmountain bow from the enterprise in Javi, before i declared war on them. I was in a hurry, but it was totally worth it since at the moment fierds are warring me, sarleon and raves. We are almost 200 pendor and about 300 mercenary troops stationed in the town.

What my challenges were at the beginning at the game:
(i have followed all these and this will not change)

- Play at max difficulty, battles at 400. (actually, my dif is ~140% but most of it comes from manually blocking, couching and battlesize) but i do scum save because bugs and perhaps mistakes. I bravely avoided being imprisoned two times using my magic power saving. I hate it but sometimes when in a siege, the battle will effectively be lost until i manage to pass trough the stupid troops blocking my way. Especially when ~500 vs 2000 and most of the elites must be taken down fast. Also, no "nearby soldiers" command ever works in sieges or stuff.
- Never retreat from sieges. (actually, not doing anything which cheats game mechanics, except shooting arrows from a tower when defending. Also, in this category, never choose battleground and play the first one of the 3 choices, whatever it gives)
- Don't invest in surgery, wound treatment and first aid. Engineers and tactics are a no-go too.
- Never recruit anything other than pendor troops (i currently have ~180 troops, all of them pendor high tier but non-noble, all gathered one by one from jatus and mysts)
- Never merc or vassal for any king.
- Only have two lords until the end of the game, both promoted from companions. I took Roland for his incredible fidelity and Rayne for martial and noble.
- Make it so at the end of the game all the kingdoms are still there, with every king only having two lords: his honorable one and his martial strongest, just like mine. For example, Gundur and Redsword and konigur, holding javiksholm and villages.  Marius, Agathon and Kyrus holding janos and nearby villages, etc.
- Form a CKO which completes Pendor troops (i will go with light horse archers  to complete the pendor knights, riding black fast horses and probably a strong line of pikemen to add depth to the pendor foot knight/pendor grey archer); Also, no noldor armor aberation for these, but rather heraldry all the way onward)
- I have no idea how to actually use Morghs, because the only thing i would like is changing a KO's armor to what all my kingdom wears. I don't want some lordly lion green turquoise shadow legion helmets, i want everything smooth and elegant and universal. Also, my lords will train pendor. So perhaps i will edit the falcons to get some nice strong not blue horses and heraldic armor. I don't even mind them being girly. The helms i don't like so much but i gots lotsa female in my party and it will fit them later on.
- It's going smooth. It's going too smooth actually. I'm trying to find new objectives in order to prolongue my game. Once i repel this siege the orcs will be food for the other parties, and a peace for me would allow me to gather some thousand of armored bowmen and MAA which will be enough to start winning like crazy.  If you guys have ideas, please help me out. I don't want to handicap my playtrough tho, unless is for nice pendor roleplay reasons.
- Also, i love meself some immersion so i was wondering what you guys do about that.

I understand you, mate...
183 days
vassal from Baccus
Longbeard Lodge, Valonbray and Windholm are mine [tried to rebel by requesting Valonbray but old Marius seems to like me a lot, but I don't give a **** for the faction, I don't even answer to marshall calls].
Grandmaster of the Ebony Gauntlets with their lordly full gear [had a ****in luck that they spawned with the ebony plate armor :grin:]
KEG buffed 5x with money
Just founded the CKO of the Ancient Might [still thinking on making them strong cavalry or strong foot knights, to be relatives to the EG]
Just befriended the noldor, slaughtered the jatu ravaging army [with all those spares EG knights from the GM quest... was soooo easy]
Just won the first noldor tournment [was a pain, the fifth round it was me alone vs 5 rangers with bows, lol.. they managed to knock down all my party with one arrow each... and with an archery pro of 15... it was a half-an-hour game of bang-bang-hide-and-shot XD]
Fierds owns only Javikshom
Ravenstern just declared war on Baccus... i foresee the R.I.P. of my defending KoTEG  :cry:
And i'm just tired... and a bit bored. Thinking on starting all over again, I think the part of the game I like most is the early-mid stages... I really don't like all the kingdoms-war-thing.

A tale from Pendor

The invisible one

The ragged, bare footed child traced the small group coming from Singal`s south gate with hungry interest. Thirteen men in common brown travelers cloaks, raised from the saber`s hilts here and there. A covered cart followed them, probably full with trade goods, decide the child looking at their horses with envy. Sometimes he served in tavern`s stables for copper coins and he began to learn about the horses just enough to dream for one of his own.
Growling from his stomach forced him to awake from his waking dreams and he jumped forward.

“Mercy, Master!” he cried to the nearest one. “I haven`t ate for two days!”.
The figure turned toward him and the child shiver. Under the hood there was no face of the trader, but a scaled Torbah helmet of a D`Shar warrior. A hand began to move toward the whip on the warrior`s belt and the child decide to run.
A silver coin drop on the dusty street and the child froze, unsure to grab it or to run from the warrior.
“Take it, boy.” Another cloaked figure spoke with deep but calming voice. “Shavaar will not hit you.”
The tall warrior removed his hand from the whip and the child crouch to grab the coin.
“He is a she, master” another cloaked figure spoke from its saddle with a sound feminine voice. “What is your name, girl?”
“I`m a boy!” the child protested in defense trying to sound hoarse.

The woman laughs cheerfully.
“There is no need to be afraid from us. We are mercenaries, no slavers. My name is Sharaz, daughter of Shavaar. Tell me your name.”
“Why? What do you want from me?” the child said with caution. Life on the streets taught him not to believe in just anyone a long time ago.
“We came here from far away and we need a guide.” said the woman. Second silver coins drop in the dust.
The child took it in haste. A common enough reason. Their speech revealed their origin clear enough but the D`Shar tribes were many, spread across the Principality.
“Where do you want to go?” he said a bit calmer.
“We heard that the Snake Cult have a temple somewhere here, in the town. Do you know where it is, by chance?” the woman said so calm as if she asked for the nearest caravanserai.

The child made a gesture against the evil.
“I hear bad things for that place. No one goes there by their own will. Better go away.”
The woman throws a third coin.
“We wish to speak with them. Can you show us the way?”
“I can, but I will not go near them.” The child grab the coin and hide it in his rags.
“Fair enough. Is it near?”
“Nah” the child respond quickly, gathering his courage. “With that cart we will be there in the midmorning. Faster if we go with horses.”
“We are going with the cart. Do you want to ride with me?”
The temptation was huge, but the child resisted it.
“No. I don`t want to disappear as Tukar.”
“As you wish.” The woman agreed lightly and closes on her horse. “At least take this, you look hungry.”

The child stares at her. It was a meat! A big piece of real dried meat! He could sense the wonderful smell of spices from a meter away. Before to think about any danger, he grabs it and his teeth bite it hastily.
“Over here! Follow me!” he waive to them.
The small group followed looking curiously around. After their guide swallowed the meat, “he” admitted that her name is Davah, and she poses as a boy to avoid attention on the street. Sharaz came down from her horse and walked next to her. Davah noted that every centimeter from Sharaz`s body was covered, from the gloves on her hands, to the scaled helmet under her hood, but said nothing. Singal was a town full of foreigners and few things could pass for strange to a local. The only really strange thing was their interest towards the Snakes.

“My mother told me not to go there many times, but I went once.” Davah said to the kind woman while they walked further. “Because of a bet with another urchin. Kular stole a nice pair of boots from somewhere, real boots from some expensive looking lether. Too big for him, and I wanted it for my mother. My mother has such long legs, so long and soft, without any scars, but she had only sandals so I agreed. Kular showed me that place and challenged me to beg a coin from the guards, who wore green armors and big helmets. I went there, ready to piss myself and begged for a copper with my slimmest voice. The two guards turned to each other as if surprised, then the bigger one put a hand inside his belt and throws FOUR coppers. “For your bravery.” he said. I run back and Kular`s jaws drop when I gave it to him. He gave me the boots without any fuss and admitted, that he wouldn`t go there for 10 gold pieces for he saw once a bonded man, dragged there from the same guards. If I knew it, I`d never go there in the first place. Since then Kular began to protect me from the other big boys, even from Hasim, who is the brutish amongst all of them.”

Sharaz listened carefully and noted:
“Many strong males wouldn`t dare to go there, I can assure you. Unlike you.”
“But you will go there, right?” Davah asked enchanted from the scaled armor Sharaz wore under her cloak.
“When I was small like you, I would be afraid to go there, really. You must be truly brave one to do that. No wonder that the other children respects you. My father is a famous warrior and taught us well. It took him years to train me enough, but now I fear no one and my master want to speak with them. So I will go there too.”
They reached a narrow empty street and Davah pointed forward.
“It is over there. You can see the guards from here.”

“You have my gratitude.” Those one, who throws the first coin, jumped from his horse and began to whisper to Shavaar. Sharaz crouched and gently touched Davah`s left cheek.
“You better stay here. We will return, trust me.”
Davah looked behind her.
“Who is that man?”
“He is our master. His name is Rambulhwa.”
“Come.” The cloaked man spoke with low voice, but Sharaz left the frightened Davah and walked behind him toward the dreadful place.
Davah looked after them, her eyes widened. She knew that name. A famous D`Shar mercenary leader, who won fame and fortune for himself almost as heroes as Kodan Ironsword or Sir Boris the Raven, roaming the five kingdoms for years. But his reputation was mixed with stories for honourable deeds as much as with others for refined cruelty.

By the rumours, he never kills his captives, but instead he cared for their wounds and fed them well, often even taken them into his own warband, sometimes even releasing them without ransom, if they didn`t want to joined him.
Another rumour however said that once Duke Aelfwine didn`t paid him the sum by their contract, under some plausible pretext. Instead to bargain or threatening him, Rambulhwa said only: “I understand.” and left his hall. Soon after that the Duke`s beloved wife, famous throughout the whole Sarleon for her beauty, disappeared without trace. Exactly a moon* later, in the morning, the Duke`s guards found a box in front of his own castle and brought it to him. It containment was the head of his youngest brother, a finger with the wedding ring of his own wife, and a heart-breaking letter from her, that she`s been sold for concubine on a Jatu Rider. 

*moon - a month by the moon calendar

To hug a snake

The guards watched the two incoming warriors curiously. Probably strangers lost in the town, since no one else would come around them voluntarily. Two cloaked men in scale mails and helmets in D`Shar style. The rest of their group stayed at the crossroad and doesn`t seems to move anyway, so they didn`t bothered to raise an alarm. The shorter one spoke first.

“Greetings” he said on excellent D`Shar language with polite manner. “I`d like to speak with the High Priestess, if she isn`t too preoccupied. Please, ask her on my behalf.” He unhooked a bag from his belt and offered it to the nearest guard.
Duxos Lex took the bag and opened it, then gasped at the sight of the blooded Anaconda Knight helmet inside. From the small sign on the back side he read the name of its wearer. Druxos Lex.
“You`ve killed my brother, stranger.” He spoke with forced calmness in his voice. “How?”
“That is a matter better spoken with the Priestess, no?” the stranger said unconcerned from Duxos`s words.
Duxos knock the door twice. A small gap opened.
“Replace me for a while” he said dark. “I must find the Priestess”.

The door opened, revealing more guards inside. One of them stepped outside to Duxos`s post. The other guard, Gracius Velius, followed Duxos`s angry march with worried gaze, and spoke.
“You`ve made an enemy here, stranger.”
“If he owes you some money, better take it right now.” The stranger`s companion respond cheerfully with sound female voice and he tremble in surprise. A D`Shar female warrior wasn`t a common sight, to say the least. “His brother didn`t had much into his pouch, but I`ll sell his armor for a nice pile of denari.”

Gracius tilted his head but said nothing more. If those two were mad, it wasn`t his concern. The time moved slowly, but the strangers showed no sign of tension or impatience. After three candles time* the door opened again and Duxos Lex appeared.
“The High Priestess Adessa Valo invites you as guests of the Temple. As such your lives and properties are safe.” He lowered himself forward and hissed “If you dare even to try to touch her…”
“I know, I know” the stranger interrupted him with bored voice. “You`ll die from jealocy.”
“I`ll kill you, you miserable D`Shar cur!” Duxos Lex shouted and reached for his shortened military scythe.
The female warrior moved faster than desert scorpion and her saber flashed. Duxos`s head fell from his shoulders and blood sprayed from his neck. The body fell, tremble in convulsion once, twice, then stunned.

“What a bore!” the female crouched to clean her saber into Duxos`s dress, then searched the body. She took his pouch and snorted on its content of seven denari. “Another poor bastard, just as his brother. How much did they payed you actually?”
Gracius came to himself and grab his weapon. These ones were dangerous.
“Will you lead us to the Priestess before the nightfall, if you be so kind?” the male asked all polite again.
“Surrender your weapons! NOW!”
Gracius knock the door and the other guards spill outside, weapons ready.
For their surprise, both of them gave up their weapons and let him to search them without protest, even when he searched the female everywhere. Six more guards surround them, weapons in hands, and he led them inside. No doubt the High Priestess would send them for sacrifice when she heard about it, but she may want to interrogate them first. He led them inside.

Once the stranger stopped suddenly and the guards raised their weapons. He pointed a beautifully engraved wall, depicted Azi Dahaka amongst her faithful.
“You`ve got at least some very talented artisans amongst you.” He said with uncovered admiration in his voice. “I didn`t expected such beauty and creativity. The rumors about your cult gave me not even a hint about it.”
Gracius said nothing, just waive a hand and they continued further.
The room they entered, was spacious and even decorated with delicate wall-paintings, showing scenes from the Book of Azi Dahaka. Three soft cushions were spread around a marble fountain in the middle. Thick, soft carpets covered the stone floor and pile of exquisite pillows expected the visitors. At the edge of the fountain sat a tall female in green half-armor, leaving bare her flat, muscular stomach. Metal breastplate covered her chest and a long, strange looking saber, was tied on her back. When they entered, the woman turned her shaven tattooed head toward them, her beautiful almond face frozen in expressionless mask, and a small wrinkle appear as she notice the guard’s tension.

“I didn`t called you, Graciuss.” Her melodic voice sounded cold as ice.
He bowed with respect.
“Forgive me, Revered, but Duxos is dead. He reached for his weapon and that one killed him. She is trained warrior and a dangerous one. Very quick too.”
“Leave uss!” she hissed with restrained anger in her voice and they left in haste. She look at the newcomers, evaluating their stance and confidence. Nor too humble, nor too arrogant behavior and definitely not a hint for fear, despite their situation. Their “visit” could be only intentional and probably dangerous. Before let them inside, she alerted all the guards for a full-scale attack and they awaited her orders.
When she notice that they will not speak but expect her reaction to their “gift” she spoke.

“Who are you? You, who bring me the helmet of Druxoss Lex, firsst guardian of my priestess Berisse. You killed her, don`t you? Show me your face, murderer!”
The stranger removed his hood and the scale Torbah helmet under it, revealing D`Shar face with the typical narrow eyes, a broken nose and mouth with thin lips over carefully formed short beard without moustaches, forming from the corners of his mouth. He spoke with low hoarse voice.
“My name is Rambulhwa.”
The name actually sound familiar and Adessa Valo recall more than a few field reports from her lesser priestesses, that his mercenary warband helped them all of a sudden against the patrols and the forces of several lords of the Baccus Empire. She wasn`t able to recall any reported attacks from his warband to her forces, and her gaze fell to the helmet into her hands.

“Did you attack them? Or it wass they?” she asked with mild curiosity.
“They did.” He respond slow.
“And you wonder why, ssince you helped my people in more than a few occasionss.”
“Was that by your order?” he asked quite.
The question, asked without any emotion, made her to look at him carefully. Did those pathetic mercenary dared to question her?
“And what if it wass?” she ask mockingly.
They moved so swift that the bolts pierced only air before they reached her. She managed to draw her ebony saber, but they grab her hands before she manage to cut and push her in the fountain. Six Anaconda Knights and six crossbowmen froze around them in fear for the life of their priestess.

Rambulhwa raise her back in time to allow her not to drown and spoke with the same even voice.
“I lost eleven good warriors in a fight that benefit no one. Twenty-three are more or less wounded. You will pay the blood price for them. You will owe me one favor for that.”
“Iss that sso?” she hissed without fear.
He nods to his companion and both released her.
“Your cult have many enemies.” She felt his breath onto her throat. “Now you can have one friend.”
He dragged a pillow and sat onto it. His companion followed.
“Usually water and meat are offered to the guests.” He said casually.
She waives a hand to the guards and one of them hurried outside. Soon he return with a plate with meat and kumis. Adessa Valo watch them with real surprise when his companion removed her helmet and both drank and began to eat.

“Excellent kumis. The meat is really tasty too. May I hire your cook?” said the bronze skinned woman.
“I am ssurprissed, no, asstonished that you dare to touch it!” Adessa Valo sat back at the edge of the fountain.
“Hah, to win an ally from the D`Shar would be more worthy to you than another corpse.” The woman laughed lightly. “And no sane woman will risk damaging those expensive pillows, spilling blood over it anyway.”
With water streaming down her body Adessa Valo sense that she is smiling, despite all her anger. That woman had guts.
“Maybe you overesstimate yoursself. I can hire many mercenariess like you.”
“Most mercenaries wouldn`t risk working for someone who`s practicing human sacrifices. They would be too concerned for themselves.” Sharaz took another morcel.
“Sso you aren`t afraid from our cult. Why?”

“Once I hired a Snake Cult priestess.” Rambulhwa said calm. “She explained some things to me and managed to persuade me, that you aren`t mindless bloodthirsty killers.”
“YOU!” Adessa Valo found herself standing on her feet. “YOU took that traitorouss ssnake under your protection, and YOU dare to sspeak with me about it?!”
The guards stepped closer to her.
“I dare many things. Despite what you said, she may be not a traitor to your cult.”
“She tried to poison her ssuperior ranking priesstess!?”
“A conflict between two priestess doesn`t lead inevitable to a betrayal to the whole cult. Do try to consider it.”
Adessa Valo felt her anger bubbling.
“I musst kill you for that inssolence!”

“But you will not” Sharaz smile at her. “Many of your warriors now owed their lives to us. And some of Berisse`s men are still alive. We may release them to serve you again. Isn`t that a good enough reason to grant a pardon for just one runaway priestess?” Sharaz asked looking at her with expectation. That snake was supposed to be their leader, so she would be able to negotiate and compromise. Instead, she saw that Adessa`s grip over her weapon tightened.
“You play dangerouss game, mercenary!” she hissed with barely restrained anger.
“We took some risks, yes, but it isn`t a game, High Priestess.” Rambulhwa drank another gulp from her kumis. His dark eyes met those of Adessa`s hard. “She is loyal to me and if I can arrange a pardon for her, I will do that for her.”
She look at that blinded fool with uncovered despise.
“Sso you began to help the entire Ssnake cult jusst to beg a pardon for a traitor? You are a fool!”

“If you say so. Do we have an agreement?”
“No!”
He left the last piece of meat back on the plate and rose.
“What did she do for you to win ssuch a dedicated ssupport from you?” Adessa asked with curiosity. “Are you … in love with her?”
His expression didn`t change.
“No, I`m not. I liked her but ... she does favor one knight amongst my companions, an Eventide champion who seems a good match for her wit and bravery. I`m happy for them. They are of great support for me and I support them in return for their loyalty. You have the power to grant her pardon. If you want to do it. Can I do something to change your mind?”
Adessa Valo tap her lips with her right forefinger in consideration.

“You are awfully brazen for a common mercenary. Yess, I have the power to grant her a pardon. Dassea will be furiuss, of coursse. Why should I do it anyway?”
His gaze moved down to her boots and back up to her face slowly and forethoughtfully.
“To win my undying gratitude? Who amongst your cult could be just … a friend to you? Send someone to my people at the end of the street. There is a covered wagon with a gift.”
She gave an order and the guards hurried to obey. She watched him as he dragged another pillow and place it in front of her.
"Wouldn`t you feel better on that pillow?” he asked politely. “The stone must be cold.”
“Oh? And you began to care for my comfort. All of a ssudden?”
If he noticed the mock at all, he doesn`t seems to bother.

“I can do that, if it pleases you.” He waited until she sat comfortable, then sit down against her, put a hand under his belt and took a small engraved box. “It is a small thing, but I hope that you may like it.”
She nodded to Septimus Laxos. He took it, opened it then offered it to her with a bow. Inside it laid a heavy golden ring, masterfully crafted as a scaled serpent holding big multifaceted emerald into its mouth, fixed with tiny golden snake fangs.
While she looked at it and tried to guess its meaning Titus Baxus returned and began to whisper in her ear.
“A wagon load of fine velvet.” She raised an eyebrow.
“I`ve heard for the dye-works in Ethos some time ago. Recently many people praising the skills of their craftsman`s guild so I brought you a sample. At least in your own home, you may wear something more comfortable than armor.”
She listened his polite voice but calculate the overall value of his gift.
“A valuable gift from ssomeone for hire.”

He didn’t took offense.
“I`m not a poor soldier any more. I won some fame and fortune with my men and my polearm. It is a mere gesture of my goodwill. Also I am ready to release forty-three captives of your people.”
Her expression hardened.
“They let Berisse to die! I will ssacrifice them mysself!”
“Then I`ll not give them to you.” He said evenly and took another morsel. “They don`t deserve to die for Berisse`s mistake.”
“You will dare!?!”
He felt the presence of the guards behind him, but only said calm.
“I dare many things, as we showed it to you. You may benefit from more meetings with people, who aren`t afraid from you either. The bootlickers are so boring anyway.”

“You are in my temple, ssurrounded from my ssoldiers, and you dare to put termss to ME?”
He continue to look at her completely calm and confidant, speaking politely and without fear.
“I came here by my own free will with a hope, that you aren`t a bloodthirsty animal, but a sensible leader of your cult. I would negotiate some terms with Azi Dahaka herself, if I ever met her. If you are unable to see the reason, the loss will be yours.” He made a short pause then adds calm. “Rumusk Legatus, Agaton, Bjorn, Justus Dux were all full with arrogance and self-importance. My warband butchered their men and I released them for a hefty ransom to lick their wounds. Their patrols that, I found fighting your people, were killed to the last man, so no one could tell them it was I, who helped them. You owe me much for that.”
Sharaz saw Adessa`s expression and tap his shoulder.
“Let`s go, master. She will not see the reason. She is too arrogant for that.”
“I understand.” He stand and walked toward the exit. The guards surround them both.
“Get away from here!” Adessa hissed enraged. “If I ssee you again, you are dead!”
He said nothing and the guards escorted them outside.

* candle time - the time for a single candle to burn completely. Approximately one hour.

You know, i had a feeling this beautiful kind of tales is what the devs meant with this thread. Perhaps my spotting skill has increased.

When they reached the exit Gracius Velius turn startled from Duxos`s corpse. He didn`t expected to see them alive again.
“Ah, you again!” said the woman. “I hoped to see you before I leave.”
She took back her weapons and hooked it back on herself, then wait until he unlock the outer door and they exit the Snake temple on the bright sun outside.
“I`m not some whore to be gropped from every beggar, you understand that, right?” she spoke gently as he took back his position at the door with another guard in green mail.
“I only searched you for hidden weapons.” he said stern. The other guard looks at him strange.
“In my loincloth, eh? She holds the hilt of her saber.
Rambulhwa hold her arm.
“Let`s go now.” he said with low voice.

She gnarled but followed to the end of the street to their group. Davah jumped against her.
“You came back! I thought that you…“ she muted when he saw her master took a huge bow and choose an enormous long and thick arrow. The others look at him but said nothing, when he stepped forward until the entrance of the Snake temple came into his sight, then raised his bow and draw the string until it touched his beard. Then he released it. The arrow pierce Gracius`s groins and struck deep into the temple door. Unhuman howl came from his mouth and his hands grabbed the arrow in attempt to remove it.
Rambulhwa hooked his bow back on his saddle.
“His loincloth will be empty from now on.” he said quietly and sat into his saddle.
Sharaz laugh and Davah look at her confused, unable to understand them. The adults were so strange sometimes.
Gracius`s death was slow and painful.

The dance of the snakes

Ssalassa sat carefully in attempt to spare her knees and hips. Each passing year it hurt more. Yet it could be worse, she remind to herself. That hammer strike could have killed her. Someone knock on the door.
“Enter!” she spoke with authority in her voice.
The young priestess slip inside and bow to her, then quickly inform her about the strange guests of Adessa Valo. Her old heart enlivened in joy.
“Doess he turn her hiss back and jusst walked outsside? Really?” she asked truly entertained.
“Yes, Revered, he did that transgression!” came the confidant respond.
“He, he, he…” she giggles as a young girl. If I wass a hundred yearss younger I would marry for that male."
“Revered?!” the young priestess look at her with horror.
“Oh, don`t make me ssuch facess, child, the men have their ussess. Ssometimess, at leasst”. The old one giggles again. “Now run and learn where thosse Rambulhwa and hiss warband will sstay in the town.”

The young priestess stare at her.
“Please, forgive me, Revered, but I don`t understand …”
“I`ll tell you later. Now, chop-chop, do what I told you. I`m too cripple to do it mysself.”
“Yes, Revered, right away!” The young one almost runs away in a hurry.
When the daylight began to fade the young priestess sneak back into Ssalassa`s chamber.
“They are into Morris`s caravanserai, Revered.” She began her report. “The place is big, but of medium quality, suitable to accept that many guests on a reasonable cost. The owner has a reputation of an honest host, serving anyone as far as they pay and don`t bother the other guests. Rambulhwa`s men are about 220 and they have about 70 or 80 captives. Twenty-three wounded, carried on a makeshift litters. Three of his officers take care for the wounded – Ansen, Lesle and …” her voice tremble.

“And…?” Ssalassa ask surprised from such uncertainty. Vassa was a well-trained young priestess and to hesitate wasn`t a habit of her.
“That runaway, Alyssa, too.” She whispers barely.
Vassa saw the lack of surprise on the old face and wondered, not for the first time, how much actually the old snake really knew.
“That iss a ssurprise indeed.” Ssalassa murmur and then explained to Vassa. “She hass never been the caring type. More like: “Why do you care sso much for thosse ussless peasantss.” She notice the girl`s expression and add dry and stern. “Becausse the peasantss work the fieldss for our food and clothess. Their children fill our rankss. To kill a peasant iss a foolish and a wasste.” She smile, revealing toothless gap. “Thiss old bag of boness sstill knew a few thingss, child. I`ve made ssuch facess on the old Talassa as a young acolyte too, hehehe. Assk your quesstionss!”

“Did you know that the runaway is with them, Revered?” Vassa took the opportunity immediately. At her 25 years she wanted to know as much as she could. Fortunately for, her the old Ssalassa always answered her many questions and even encouraged her to ask more. “Why she betrayed us?”
“Bah!” snorted the old one. “Both Alyssa and Dassea were amongsst my acolytess, child.” The old one began to reminisce. “They consstantly competed each other and were jealouss for each little praise. When Dassea got promoted to ssecond rank, she began to parade with it sso much, that Alyssa gone mad from jealoussy and tried to poison her. In vain, for we are immune to any snake poison, but the third rank didn`t know it yet. She failed and run before Dassea get her killed for the attempt. Sstill she called her a traitor and no one knew enough to object. That doesn`t make her a traitor.” Ssalassa said with mentor`s voice. “If she wass a traitor she would have taught that warlord how to act with Adessa.”
“So he was right about her?”

“He sstill iss, hehehe. What iss that blood?”  She asked sharp at the sight of the spots at Vassa`s garment.
“Two armsmens were in position to shoot at the warlord. I … I killed them.”
“Adessa act before to think. Reckless.” Ssalassa snorted in pain then rose slowly. “Bring me plain clothess and a cloak. I need you to help me to go there.”
“Yes, Revered. I`ll gather the guards now.”
“No guardss, child. Only you and me.” She smiles. “An old man and hiss grandson are going for a drink.”

They entered in the huge common room slow and carefully. The old man supported himself heavily on a crutch, yet the young one was ready to catch him any moment. A servant led them to a small low table and served them ale. The caravanserai busted with activity, men and women came and go without pause. The prostitutes had a good night, with a new sizeable group mercenaries who didn`t wear armors or helmets but the sabers and the maces on their belts pointed their profession clear enough. As they watched, one of them, a slim attractive woman with long mace on her belt took a lyre, jump on a table and sings an old Fiersdvain love ballad. Her rich sound voice fills the cavernous premises and soon the other guests stopped their activities to listen. The old man knew the song and began to listen with pleasure but instead the usual ending, when the huscarl Jovish and the shieldmaiden Uvar fell in battle near Windholm, the singer look at a bear-looking hairy man with two-handed sword on his back and long beard, heavily soaked with ale, and she sang that both heroes killed their many enemies and went at their home.

When she finish her performance, her group and most of the other guests began to applaud her noisily. The brute left his ale, stand, took her into his massive hands under the approval shouts of his comrades and went toward the private rooms. The old man smile and wave to a servant to order ale, but when he left the coppers the servant refused it.
“Tonight Rambulhwa pay all drinks, old man. The servant smiles quickly, sweating from all the additional work during the evening. “Order as much as you want.”
“Is that so?”The youngster was surprised. “Why?”
“I don`t know, really. But he pay well so why should I bother? Do you want a drink or not?”
“I`ll take more ale, thank you.”
The servant fetched them quickly.
“I`d like to thank him for his generosity, for me and for my grandfather. Where can I find him?”
“His men are over there.” The servant showed the big mercenary group then hurried to the next visitor.

The old man stand slow, supported from his grandson then went toward them.
“Forgive me, brave warriors, where can I find the honorable Rambulhwa?” asked the youngster. “I wish to thank him for his generousity.”
“Over there, in the back room.” One of them pointed at the door and turn to his comrade again.
The youngster open that door right against a tall warrior in scale Singalian armor.
“What are you doing here, both of you? This is the private quarter.” He asked nor politely, but nor too rough either.
“We came to thank the generous Rambulhwa for …”
“Fine, fine.” The Singalian interrupt him quickly. “Stay still to search you for weapons.”
The youngster`s smile was clear innocence.
“Is that necessary, warrior? I can assure you, we aren`t an invading Sarleon army.”
“If you were I would have killed you already.” Two more fully armored Singalians stand behind him.

The young man strengthened but the old one touched his arm and spoke for the first time since they entered in the caravanserai.
“You catch uss. Pleasse, tell him that I`m here. My name iss Ssalassa.”
The Singalians draw their weapons.
“You are from the Snake temple!” gnarled the first one.
“Would you try not to shout it sso loud? If I wanted to sspeak with him there I would have done sso.”
“I must search you anyway!”
Ssalassa pat his arm impatiently.
“Never do that on Ssnake priesstess if you want to live. Jusst tell him that I`m here.”

"Do not move or they will kill you!" Ediz gnarled to them and went to the backside of the room where on low beds lied their wounded. He whispers something on a large man with raven-black hair sitting on one bed, and he respond something too quite to be heard. Ediz waved at them to get close.
They closed to him and Ssalassa knew that the other Singalians watched them carefully, with weapons pointed at their backs. On the bed lied rough-looking young woman, half-naked, with thick bandaged stomach. The man spoke to the wounded woman.
"You`ll be fine, I send for the best healer in the town." he said with hoarse low voice.
"You are the worst liar in Pendor, Chief." The woman spill blood and continue. "I fought since I was twelve years old. I know what spear in the guts mean."
"You`ll be on your feet soon, you know that I like you too much to lie to you."
"Send my share to my tribe. Vejovis knows, the last year was very poor. I must..."

"Let me ssee the wound." Ssalassa step forward.
"She is a snake!" You can`t trust her!" Ediz objected, still holding his sabre in hand.
"Alyssa is a snake too, but you saved her life at least twice. The snake venom may kill, Ediz, but it is used for cures too."
The Singalian gnarled unsatisfied but step aside. Ssalassa unbound the wound, which despite well disinfected and cleaned still bleed a bit.
"I musst open the wound again." she said dark. "Give me ssome wine and oil lamp."
"It`s useless." the woman said trough pressed in pain teeth.
"So it will not become worsse." Ssalassa cut her short.
A hand in leather glove offered her a cup of wine. Ssalassa took some powder from a small pocket inside her garment and drop it into the cup, then offered it to the wounded one.

"Drink it. You`ll ssleep and I`ll insspect your wound."
"I`ll sleep forever." snarled the young woman. "Sometimes even the venom helps. No more pain."
"Adonja, drink it." Rambulhwa said hard.
"I took Ansen on a raid, as I promised to him. Don`t let him to do something foolish after he see my corpse, he read too many stories." she took the cup and drank all the wine. Soon her head fall back.
Ssalassa took a small knife and burned the blade at the oil lamp, then cut Adonja`s wound again, widened the gap until she saw the pierced innards. She took more wine and cleansed thin thread made of cat`s intestine then began to sew up. The whole time she worked no one said anything nor tried to interrupt her.
"No food or water for a day and a night. Only one cup of water every time a candle burn for a day after that. Only light ssoup for the next sseven dayss after that. Variouss light food for fourteen dayss after. Sstill if the wound began to rot during the next three dayss she will die. Your ssurgeon did a good job, the wound wass well cleaned. He probably issn`t sso experienced as mysself to do the rest, I ssupposse."

Rambulhwa cleared his throat.
"I did all that I could, but I`m better in cutting people rather than sew them up."
"You did that?" Ssalassa raised an eyebrow.
"Nine years as a mercenary leader are a whole education in both killing and healing people. Sometimes I want the people back in one piece. She mean a lot for me, she was amongst the first companions I had in the beginning. How could I thank you, Revered?
She saw nothing false on his stone-like face and decide to test him.
"Letss sspeak in private."
He led her and Vassa in a small side room with a beautiful young woman inside. He gave her a few coins and sends her outside, then offered them to sit on the fat pillows on the carpet covering the floor. A low table was already prepared with meat, vegetables, cheese and kumis.

"I have no teeth left, young warrior." Ssalassa sat slowly, looking at the well roasted meat on the table.
He took a knife and cutted a large piece of meat on a small bits.
"Just swallow the bits a whole then." he offered to her politely. "I know that the snakes swallow their food a whole."
Ssalassa smile and took a few bits.
"Nice, very nice indeed." she smiles at Vassa`s horrified face and continue. "Why do you helping our cult?
"You know that I have one of your priestess into my warband. The one your cult wants dead. She showed me that she is loyal and trustworthy. After some time I began to respect her. In three years she becomes irreplaceable for me. She taught me much  about both killing and healing arts and I want to help her too. Because of her, even some captives from the Snake Cult decided to join me too, and proved themselves in battle as fearless warriors. Only armsmen and Cobra warriors, but their savage Netherworld Chargers are quite useful. Yet your best refused to co-operate with me and fought to death. I hope to change that. You also fight against the Baccus Empire like any D`Shar. We may help each other a lot."

Ssalassa look at him carefully but his face didn`t change even a little bit. Despite the dangerous, and some could say even heretical words, he spoke with such casual tone as if he speaks for the weather.
"I don`t believe you." she said finally when she notice that he expect her to respond. "Unlike our landss in Amala, in Pendor the people consider human ssacrificess repulssive."
He responds with the same casual tone, still unaffected from her distrust.
"One lord, who the so called "the people" consider kind and honourable, hired me to kill his brother, who would have succeeded his title and lands. Another one hired me to kill a man, whom he owed a horse load of silver. Third one hired me to incriminate his rival for betrayal he does not commit, and the rival was executed." Rambulhwa`s voice remain calm and polite. "I`ve seen Knights of Dawn burning people alive for crossing their paths and lords, who left their own people to starve and froze to death. I`ve seen a lord burning one of his own villages for "my men were cold". I`ve seen such atrocities in the everyday life, that nor Snake, nor Demon could even imagine."

He made a short pause then add gloomily.
"I have thirty-seven captives, which we caught on the road. Into their camp we found children`s bones into their fire pit. Tell me, oh dreadful Snake Priestess, do you think that I will tremble, if you sacrifice all of them to your goddess?"
She looks at his stone-like face and smile.
"No, I don`t believe that you tremble often. It iss a big rissk for you however, to harbour ssnakess in your lap."
"And outcasts, runaways, noble knights, criminals, an ex-queen, a few scholars and healers too. Even one bard."
"We ssaw her. She lookss ... attracted from one harry brute with a huge sword." She snorted with despise. "The brutess like him alwayss trying to compenssate their lack of weaponry with huge chunck of ssteel."
His stone face cracked in sudden smile that surprised her with it`s sincere warmith.

"You will change your mind if you see Sigi`s "weapon" in the river. Sara is the first woman he took after he lost his Claire from the Vanskeery years ago."
"She iss pregnant in the third moon probably." Ssalassa said soft.
His smile widened, revealing white teeth.
"We shall celebrate then!"
"The other one, the wounded one, also iss given birth."
"And she would hide it from me? Unlikely."
"I know the body well. I can`t make ssuch misstake."
He stood silent for a while and recall her few longer visits to her tribe.
"The gods surely laugh for our expenses sometimes." he sighs and continues lightly "One snake hurt her, another heal her. Why did you come, actually?"

"To know what kind of man you are."
"And you think that you`ll know me for two candles time? Hmh, you aren`t so naïve."
"Fine, fine, Adessa will refusse your offer. I came to ssave our people, if I can."
He nods with understanding. A leader, worthy of his salt, always care for his people.
"I`m indebted to you for Adonja. Even if she die, you did tried to save her. The captives are yours. Anything else?"
She swallows a few more bits of meat and drank some kumis.
"You value that woman a lot."
"All that she ever won or looted she gave to her tribe, far away in the North Ravenstern. Their lands are too cold for farming and the northern lords often chase them even further north, no matter that the tribes have no other place to live. But most of the Mystmountain tribes refuse to submit the Ravenstern king and fight to death in the snow. I`ve seen some of those who accepted the Ravenstern "mercy" myself. Skinny and always hungry outcasts in the back alleys of Rane and Poinsbruk. Slaves in all but the name. Yes, I value her determination and spirit a lot."

She weighted his words and decides that he believes in his words.
"Perhapss in the near future I may usse your help."
"If you need me, just send a word. I`m sure that you`ll find me."
"How Alyssa managed to convince you to hire her?" she asked unable to hold her curiosity any longer. That question tortured her for years. After all, she managed to run from the temple south of Ethos only with the armour on her back, her horse and her spear.
"Simple." he smiles broadly. "She defeated me in a duel with her spear. Since then I began to fight with my glaive much more efficiently."
"I do believe that you are telling me the truth. It will be a pleasure to sspeak with you again." Ssalassa stand with Vassa`s help and they exit the room toward the stables.

After they left, Sharab crawled from under the bed and sigh with relief. It was very close this time, but she must to know what Rambulhwa intended to do. She smiles to herself. She knew him since their childhood, when her father began to train him along with her and her other sisters; she knew every little nuance in his voice and understood his intentions very well, much more than the two snakes. He had bigger plans than most of them could anticipate. She left in haste, impatient to share the news with her sisters.

The Sun and the Serpent: Part 1

Tiberius Legatus, lord of Seven Cross Keep and commander of the Radiant Legion, gazed across the wide plain to the north of the city of Cez. Snake banners fluttered in the breeze and the wind carried the sinister hissing chants of a hundred malevolent serpentine enchantresses. The feared Dread Legion had arrived in Pendor.

They had come across the sea from their lair in the Old Empire to spread their corrupted religion in a land, with the sword if necessary. The Dread Legion was the fabled elite fighting force of the Snake Cult which had brought about the end of the Old Empire. It was said the Dread Legion had been the army that had stormed the capital of the Old Empire and put everyone who would not convert and follow Azi Dahaka to the sword. It was also said the rank and file soldiers of the Dread Legion were the remnants of the old Third Legion of the Old Empire, devoured and corrupted by the snakes of the Cult.

Tiberius felt a chill go down his spine as he remembered the stories his mother told him when he was a child. The Snake Cult had always been a thorn in the side of the New Baccus Empire in Pendor sending agents to infiltrate its infrastructure but now it was outright invading it. Tiberius looked back at his army; the Radiant Legion as it was called in the Empire for the shining armor of its soldiers and the golden sun that flew above it which was Tiberius’s standard. The Radiant Legion was assembled and arrayed behind him, resplendent in their war gear and finery. The army was primarily made up of Imperial Legionnaires which made the backbone of the army. There was also a sizeable contingent of Imperial armored pikemen and many Imperial crossbowmen that provided ranged support. The main strength of the Radiant Legion however was the cadre of Imperial Immortals, the elite crack protectors of the Empire of which Tiberius was a member, that the Legion was built around. These men and their retainers, the Imperial Mortals, were the factor that made the Radiant Legion such a formidable fighting force.

The Dread Legion had made landfall near Cez perhaps two weeks before and immediately set about sieging the city. The lords and legions of the Empire were far to the north fighting with the Kingdom of Sarleon. When news finally reached them about this new threat Marius Imperator ordered Tiberius to move south and relieve Cez. Unfortunately, by the time Tiberius had reached the city the Dread Legion had already overcome the garrison and sacked the port, murdering hundreds. Now the Snake Cultists had assembled outside the city on the sprawling flatlands ready to meet the Radiant Legion in battle.

Tiberius felt fear, he could not deny it. When the two armies were closer to each other he could see more clearly the Snake Priestesses at the forefront sacrificing virgin girls from Cez to the hated and feared god Azi Dahaka. He could see the heavily armored legendary Anaconda Knights on their giant chargers that could only be from the netherworld itself. He saw the shields of the Old Empire held by the Dread Legion infantry and was shocked to see their rotting faces beneath their black helmets confirming the legends. And finally, there was what people called the Devoured; a contingent of the Dread Legion made up of victims of the Snake Cult that had been corrupted and pressed into its service.

Tiberius could hear the gasps of the legionnaires behind him as they saw what he saw. The terror in their voices as they heard the hissing chants of the priestesses and the mournful moans of the Devoured.

Tiberius wheeled his ironbred charger around to them and snarled, “Steel yourselves cowards. They are but living things, and all living things can be killed!” only half believing his own words.

Tiberius’s good friend and companion, Sir Roland, a former Knight of the Dawn, walked up beside him observing the sight.

“These things are an affront Astraea my friend. They must burn and Pendor cleansed of their taint. But by the gods are they ugly. Especially those Devoured creatures. If only we had a group of Knights of the Dawn here, their souls would be purged by the tip of their lances!” exclaimed Roland.

“If only that were the case good knight,” said Tiberius with not much hope in his voice, “however I believe that it will be up to us this day. I fear the gods will do little to help us.”

“Do you have a plan?” asked Roland.

“A faint outline of one. It will all depend on their opening moves in this battle. However, I put more stock in the strength of will and discipline of my men than I do in any battle plan. Unfortunately, I fear that might waver in the upcoming hours,” said Tiberius glancing back at the legionnaires he just silenced moments before.

“Your men will follow you into the maw of Azi Dahaka himself commander if it comes to it,” said Roland reassuringly.

“I am afraid that is what I am doing today,” Tiberius silently said in his mind.

Suddenly the Dread Legion went silent and from the ranks of Anaconda knights came the terrible Maltise, commander of the Dread Legion, on a similar netherworld beast of war that seemed to snort fire. She was clad in heavy armor but wore no helmet, showing a head as bare as a newborn babe. She rode up and down the line of her legion looking at the Radiant Legion the entire time. Finally, she turned to her army and shouted, “ Tonight we bathe in the blood of our enemies! Take as many prisoners as you can, and we will offer Azi Dahaka a grand sacrifice that he will never forget!”

The whole of the Dread Legion howled at these words and Maltise turned to Tiberius, licking her lips, savoring the thought of the slaughter to come. Tiberius Legatus knew he had to address his men. Men he had served with for years; men who he had many times trained himself. The Radiant Legion was said by many to be the finest imperial legion in the New Baccus Empire, but that same legion looked to him for their guidance and inspiration. Tiberius saw the grim looks that donned many of the faces of his men. Shouting above the din of the Dread Legion, Tiberius spoke to his soldiers.

“Legionnaires, we stand on the precipice of the fate that befell our forefathers so many years ago! The Snake Cult corrupted and destroyed our once mighty and glorious Baccus Empire. It spread its taint and overcame our kin. Now it has come to spread its disease here and threatens to undo everything that we and our fathers have built here in Pendor. We are stronger than the Old Baccus Empire though! We are the Radiant Legion and our light will pierce the gloom that the Dread Legion and Snake Cult intends to place here in Pendor! We will stop their evil here and now! They advance no further! Now fight for honor and the glory of the Emperor! Lock shields!!!”

A single rumble sounded as the legionnaires locked shields in unison behind him. Tiberius smiled and turned to face the Dread Legion. The next move was theirs.

Back
Top Bottom