Constantinople walls

Users who are viewing this thread

Al_Mansur

Grandmaster Knight
Hi. I made a Constantinople Theodosian wall tower for the mod 1257, using this Osprey reference:
http://pages.usherbrooke.ca/croisades/big_images/v_constantinople_murs3.jpg
But I'm afraid they made a mistake concerning the size of the buildings. On the reference, the crenels are as tall as the men beside, whereas on this photo:
Istanbul%20Walls.JPG
we can see that the crenels are taller than the men. So, is just another section of the walls ? Or is it a mistake from Osprey ? If somebody can help, it would be nice  :wink:

I don't have any answers, but a third possibility is that the restoration is inaccurate, or is based on the masonry from a time period other than the one depicted in the Osprey diagram.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
Or... alternatively, those people are just really short.

Very improbable.

I think you should let it be, look at the photo carefully. The floor where the biggest crenels are placed is higher than where the people stands, so it wouldn't be much difference in height IMO. Also, we don't know how high is the floor with crenels on the left. I think it is right in Osprey.

Wouldn't be the first time Osprey got it wrong, but looking at the photo there's no firing step, which suggests they didn't recreate it with the reconstruction.

EDIT - unless they just happen to be standing at a part where it's hidden along the length of the wall. The tower certainly seems to have one.

What do you mean by "firing step" ? Sorry my english isn't quite well  :wink:

Marcus Fulvius Optimus, there is a man who stands on the tower floor, where the big crenels are.

Okay, my suggestion; make the white stones tanner. Don't make them straight tan though; it just seems the white stone is too... perfect. This isn't Minas Tirith here. This always seems like a problem when you make buildings; the work overall is good, it just is too perfect for medieval stone walls. Also, there appears to hardly be any mortar. If you were designing a Incan temple or fortress this would be fine, but like I said before, it's a medieval stone wall.

Look at this photo:
5505963-md.jpg
The original white stones of the towers seem to be quite straight, although less than mine. Therefore I don't really know how the make the new one. Otherwise, it would be hard to find a mortar texture which fits with the stones one.

Back
Top Bottom