Cavalry from lances to sabres

Users who are viewing this thread

Swadius said:
Also, spears and lances aren't all that heavier and unwieldy than some of the heavy sabres around during that time either.
Light/heavy cavalry has to do with armour rather than arms. The 1796 cavalry sabre, for example, is a "light cavalry sabre", not because it's light (it most certainly isn't), but because it was used by light cavalry.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
I'm truly starting to get sickened by the nationalism on this forum.
The only nationalism I find sort of endearing is specifically that which is aimed at the British Empire. If it isn't the Queen's English, though, British patriotism is disgusting, too.

Kissaki said:
Light/heavy cavalry has to do with armour rather than arms. The 1796 cavalry sabre, for example, is a "light cavalry sabre", not because it's light (it most certainly isn't), but because it was used by light cavalry.
Technically, the designation is more to do with pay and politics than anything else. Witness for example the downgrading of nearly all British cavalry to Hussars in the eighteenth century without any change in equipment; the only difference being Hussars drew around a third of the pay. Similarly, compare the British heavy cavalry during the Crimean war with their Russian counterparts.
Same with the sabre. The british "light" cavalry sabre was curved while the "heavy" sabre was straight, difference comes from their expected role - the curved sabre is ideal for slashing infantry while the straight sabre was better for engaging fellow horsemen.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
Negro of Serbia said:
(Somewhat proud they have Serbian origin  :cool: )

:roll:

I'm truly starting to get sickened by the nationalism on this forum.

It's not nationalism, it's patriotism...hussars made a revolution in warfare, and were a step further in establishing different cavalry tactics...after all, they were used all across Europe in battles of that time (research a bit and see for yourself  :smile: )
Best regards  :smile:

they might not be known for those roots, but whichever etymological root you use, Serbia features heavily in all of them.

Back
Top Bottom