Call of Duty WWII

Users who are viewing this thread

I'd love a game set in Operation Olympic and Operation Downfall. Alternate History is in nowadays, and it could be an awesome for a singleplayer campaign. Could even have a mechanic for onset radiation sickness after landing on the Home Islands in the wake of a preparatory nuclear bombardment of a major fortified city. Nonetheless it would be chock-full of opportunities for moral questions and crises. No more wars of liberation: it'd be a campaign of annihilation against an empire committing national suicide, willingly or not. Throw in a number of different perspectives into the storyline and it'd be a masterpiece.

rapier17 said:
You're right, games revolving around the 1944-5 period of the Second World War are ten-a-penny. At least with games like H&D (1 & 2) they involved conflict from around the world and throughout the war; Norway, Africa, Burma, as well as France and Germany.

What I also loved about H+D2 apart from the locations was the sheer amount of detail they put in to it, in one mission fighting the Italians ( how often do you see that) I was crouched behind a wall lobbing grenades at an enemy crouched behind another wall, then I hear a shout, hey Englaizee....I just burst out laughing, or when officers would surrender to you and actually tell you in German they were surrendering, never saw that in a game before, or the sheer content of a typical mission...

objectives..

Find and capture Hans Schumann.
Force Hans Schumann to cooperate.
Hans Schumann must survive.
Kill enemy around the runway.
Leave with Hans Schumann in a JU88
Destroy the heavy German equipment. (Optional)
Destroy the fuel storage. (Optional)
Destroy the planes. (Optional)
Find out information on German reinforcements. (Optional)
All team members must survive (Optional).

the main problem with COD apart from the fact that it's doing all the overdone end of war stuff (again) like Omaha, Bulge, etc is that it's so damn scripted, you're not going to get any memorable gaming moments because all the devs are interested in is taking you by the hand and running you through a series of narrow corridors with endless kabooms on either side while Stuka's dive bomb you and you run past several buddies who cry for help but you cant help them, because they want to show you what a great looking scripted scene they made, during this time you may want to kill one enemy or twenty doesn't make any difference so long as you trigger the thing that starts the next sequence so they can impress you even more on how good they think they are with more overdone pyrotechnics, it's more like an interactive movie where game play is minimum, none of this works for me in terms of immersion or tension is so formulaic and obvious but I guess that's what the target audience want so they ain't going to change anytime soon.

nads said:
the main problem with COD apart from the fact that it's doing all the overdone end of war stuff (again) like Omaha, Bulge, etc is that it's so damn scripted, you're not going to get any memorable gaming moments because all the devs are interested in is taking you by the hand...

... it's more like an interactive movie where game play is minimum, none of this works for me in terms of immersion

Ridiculous. Some of the best games ever made are completely scripted, so this is entirely capable of being a great SP experience (it's possible). Are you not capable of getting immersed when you watch movies?

So? If it's done well with good writing and pacing etc, it's immersive. He complained about them being predictable, which has nothing to do with it being very scripted. It's possible for a scripted game to be unpredictable with good writing.

Age of Empires II: The Densetsu ? said:
Ridiculous. Some of the best games ever made are completely scripted, so this is entirely capable of being a great SP experience (it's possible). Are you not capable of getting immersed when you watch movies?
OK, how about totally over scripted? and it's not a movie.

Age of Empires II: The Densetsu ? said:
So? If it's done well with good writing and pacing etc, it's immersive. He complained about them being predictable, which has nothing to do with it being very scripted. It's possible for a scripted game to be unpredictable with good writing.

Having a mostly scripted, railroaded campaign for a shooter is a dichotomy I'm not willing to accept. Intermittent cutscenes will ruin the pacing of any combat sequence, and corridor'd levels are impossible to hide even if the whole thing is underground. Shooting mechanics work best when there's a lot of space and the combat is uninterrupted.

Another great thing about Hidden and Dangerous 2 is that, especially if you count the expansion, the SP is so long that you can actually get tired of it after a while. Not to mention to stress of chosing the right equipment every time. I know it doesn't sound cool, but it's unbelievable considering how short is your medium FPS nowadays.

And the variety factor...that's the most incredible thing.

Yup, the H&D 2 campaign is really immersive AND long. I never managed to finish it, by the time i get to czech 1 i dont have the will to handle tigers anymore.

The first campaign though, in norway and the artic, and the african missions are really the best ww2 singleplayer missions ever. Defending the oasis, attacking that italian airifeld....

Beny said:
The Gif machine makes a good point. That game was indeed both good and scripted.
I would like to state that both CoD1 and UO were also super scripted and were great; with many memorable moments. As was MOHAA. Scripting is irrelevant to immersion.

F.F.C._fritz said:
Another great thing about Hidden and Dangerous 2 is that, especially if you count the expansion, the SP is so long that you can actually get tired of it after a while. Not to mention to stress of chosing the right equipment every time. I know it doesn't sound cool, but it's unbelievable considering how short is your medium FPS nowadays.

And the variety factor...that's the most incredible thing.
HaD2 - the only game where Lone Wolf is easier than Full Team playthrough.

TheFlyingFishy said:
Alright, you dicks. You've been bombarding me about how great Hidden and Dangerous 2 is for years. I'm finally going to play it.

Just arm yourself with patience since you'll probably want to change those obnoxious control keys.
After that, have fun!

Yeah, I should have said over skriptin' you know what I mean over cinematic, they're overdone now in every department, I dont want to feel like I'm in a movie, yep, I played COD 1+2 and Wolfen new order which were l done right but the COD series has gone arse ways up since  then to the point the games almost look like wandering around in a cut scene,  those games where half  the time is spent watching your characters hands doing stuff that you cant control, if I don't feel like I'm personally affecting the game then it's not immersive.  Another thing they have to do is bring back one shot kills, not this crap where you pop a guy in the head twice and he goes down on one knee and gets back up again, I recently played through Return to castle Wolfenstein again after 15 years and I'd actually forgotten one shot kills were the norm in FPS back in the day.

nads said:
Yeah, I should have said over skriptin' you know what I mean over cinematic, they're overdone now in every department, I dont want to feel like I'm in a movie

if I don't feel like I'm personally affecting the game then it's not immersive.

I'd actually forgotten one shot kills were the norm in FPS back in the day.

You may not be in the mood for a big pulpy scripted cinematic campaign when you boot CoD up, fair enough. Still, movies are very immersive, so, by definition, CoD is quite immersive. You know, the campaigns are pretty damn immersive (the good ones like WaW)!

That's just your personal taste, I recognise that, but it doesn't make any sense at all. Many games are driven by narrative and pre-determined content written by someone that isn't you. Are you unable to get immersed in games such as Uncharted and Heavy Rain? If you can't get immersed in something very linear just because it's called a game and you have to hold a controller, I pity you.  **** man, I can watch someone else playing a game and get extremely immersed! :razz:

One shot kills never went away.

Back
Top Bottom