Call of Duty WWII

Users who are viewing this thread

Úlfheðinn said:
At some point I'd love to see less heroic war games/stories on all fronts, like throw in the terrible moral struggle of realizing that some of the people you are fighting with and ultimately start to care about may be fine with shooting surrendering enemies, raping, stealing, whatever.
Like Battlefield 1 campaign with more documentary gameplay taking place in WW2?

Úlfheðinn said:
At some point I'd love to see less heroic war games/stories on all fronts, like throw in the terrible moral struggle of realizing that some of the people you are fighting with and ultimately start to care about may be fine with shooting surrendering enemies, raping, stealing, whatever.

Oh, but they do that every single time - if it's the USSR POV in western production, of course.

Úlfheðinn said:
Yeah, honestly, I kind of feel with a lot of popular culture the problem is learning to accept that as we grow older we are also "aging out" of the target audience.

If it's about Modern/Future/Exosuits FPS, I've always been too old.  :lol:

F.F.C._fritz said:
Oh, but they do that every single time - if it's the USSR POV in western production, of course.

Yeah, no arguments there, in general I'm willing to say that in most cases game devs are unwilling to piss of the countries that they consider to be there main market.

Russian game devs will never show the USSR in any position of technological weakness or moral ambiguity, just like Western game dev shy away from even portraying some Germans as bad guys (which makes sense when you consider that going with the "honorable Wehrmacht" myth means the game will be popular even in Germany). For the same reason I don't expect a major game dev to not focus on America being awesome and saving the day in WW2.

Age of Empires II: The Densetsu ? said:
Austyboo ^_^ said:
Titanfall

Titanfall I and II are great games! CoDII and World at War were also great. The WWII CoDs weren't exactly innovators but they certainly had enjoyable SP and MP experiences set in WWII. All I'm looking for out of this is another one of those. It's been about 9 years since I played one (WaW), not counting the brilliant Wolfenstein The New Order/New Blood (not historical but still sorta WWII). I see no problem in releasing a new cinematic AAA WWII game. CoD is still fun as hell even after so many years.
How old are you? 20 or something right?
You didn't actually live through the endless flood of the exact same brown WW2 Normandy/DDay bull**** shooter.

And this is exactly that. My guess:
Tutorial in Africa/Italy. DDay. Bocage/AA gun hunting. Destroyed French village. Winter forest map. Destroyed German town.
Part of that is going to be cut into DLC and/or sequels if they're going for another continuous story like in their MW series.
I base this on the fact that there are dozens of games out there that do exactly that and they all came out in the same few years.

For ****'s sake... WW2 shooters were the zombie/1st person horror/early access survival/Minecraft clone games of the early 2000s... :neutral:

Úlfheðinn said:
F.F.C._fritz said:

Yeah, no arguments there, in general I'm willing to say no game dev is willing to piss of their main market.

Russian game devs will never show the USSR in any position of technological weakness or moral ambiguity, just like Western game dev shy away from even portraying some Germans as bad guys (which makes sense when you consider that going with the "honorable Wehrmacht" myth means the game will be popular even in Germany).

If it's about Germany it's not only about popularity, I'd also say about legality. I guess it would be pretty hard to be even able to sell a story focused game where you play as a WWII German in Germany.

Nonsense. Only if you somehow believe the creative interpretation of reality that Paradox for example is trying to establish. The whole "in Germany even Hitler's face is illegal" crap they pulled with HoI 4 :lol:

I would love to play one like that though. It would be amazing. Probably from multiple perspectives, or over the span of multiple campaigns, but imagine fighting in Poland, and then Denmark and Norway, and France, and North Africa, and the Balkans, and then the huge invasion of the USSR, and then getting stopped and pushed back, and then Stalingrad, and then fighting the Americans and British in Italy and France... God it would be amazing...

mdk31 said:
I would love to play one like that though. It would be amazing. Probably from multiple perspectives, or over the span of multiple campaigns, but imagine fighting in Poland, and then Denmark and Norway, and France, and North Africa, and the Balkans, and then the huge invasion of the USSR, and then getting stopped and pushed back, and then Stalingrad, and then fighting the Americans and British in Italy and France... God it would be amazing...
Do you know a game called Company of Heroes? :razz:

Not a shooter.
Wellenbrecher said:
You didn't actually live through the endless flood of the exact same brown WW2 Normandy/DDay bull**** shooter.

I'm sorry, but I did. I played pretty much every WWII game you could throw a stick at since the last Medal of Honor game on the PS1.
You are an entirely broken person, buddy. Also I was quoting the Fish, I hope. If not, just imagine that I did.

Wellenbrecher said:
Wellenbrecher said:

I'm sorry, but I did. I played pretty much every WWII game you could throw a stick at since the last Medal of Honor game on the PS1.
You are an entirely broken person, buddy. Also I was quoing the Fish, I hope. If not, just imagine that I did.

Me too! The early Medal of Honor games (for ps1 and 2) had a great impact of me as e pre-teen and violently started my interest for History. I'm probably the only one in the world, but I guess that pushing toward cultural enrichment was quite an achievement for a primitive FPS. I was so happy to find a new history-based/inspired FPS every few months.

Wellenbrecher said:
Nonsense. Only if you somehow believe the creative interpretation of reality that Paradox for example is trying to establish. The whole "in Germany even Hitler's face is illegal" crap they pulled with HoI 4 :lol:

I don't know about this, but I'm curious.

I know for sure, for example, that the german version of each and every Wolfenstein game bears some...strange differences in the storyline confronted with the other versions  :lol:

****. I genuinely intended to quote Fishy :lol:
F.F.C._fritz said:

I know for sure, for example, that the german version of each and every Wolfenstein game bears some...strange differences in the storyline confronted with the other versions  :lol:
Swastikas are edited out. Violence/gore is often tuned down (even though way less than back in the day).
That's it.

Unless the devs are retards like what they did to Soldier of Fortune 2. But that had nothing to do with swastikas.

Paradox on the other hand blacked out Hitler's face and the faces of various Nazi politicians and a fairly random selection of German generals while pretending that somehow German law forced them to do so. Which is a flat out lie.

AFAIK the stopped all discussion about that with "because the laws". I have no ****ing idea. Especially as they don't care about mods reversing this or adding swastikas and everything.

Wellenbrecher said:
****. I genuinely intended to quote Fishy :lol:
F.F.C._fritz said:

Swastikas are edited out. Violence/gore is often tuned down (even though way less than back in the day).
That's it.

I've read that, i.e., you fight the "Wolf League" in RtCW and "The Regime" in Wolfenstein, not the Nazis. I mean, the references are still obvious, but still... then again, I don't know for sure, I haven't played the german version of the game.

Cioss Julius U.X. ? said:
mdk31 said:
Do you know a game called Company of Heroes? :razz:
Yes, but as Welly said it's not a shooter. I would want it to be CoD or MoH style.

So the ideas he got when asking for a SP German PoV WW2 shooter campaign have been a RTS and two MP games. Swell.

F.F.C._fritz said:
I've read that, i.e., you fight the "Wolf League" in RtCW and "The Regime" in Wolfenstein, not the Nazis. I mean, the references are still obvious, but still... then again, I don't know for sure, I haven't played the german version of the game.
Oh yeah true, they changed those two names around. My bad.
I only ever played with a blood patch which changed that as well so it's not really present in my memory.

Back
Top Bottom