Beta Patch Notes e1.5.4

Users who are viewing this thread

I think the need to choose either being a merchant or a soldier would not be as hard, if could stash your things somewhere before you have your own town. But this way you can only sell it, which means you will mostly not trade, because trading will not bring in renown and is also kinda boring alone.
It's not either-or, though. It's It's very natural to wander round doing quests, fighting bandits and trading opportunistically where you see cheap goods you can sell elsewhere. A lot of criticism of the game seems to be based on the idea that doing X for hours on end is boring and grindy. Well, yeah. Don't just do X. You don't have to just do X.

It's not either-or, though. It's It's very natural to wander round doing quests, fighting bandits and trading opportunistically where you see cheap goods you can sell elsewhere. A lot of criticism of the game seems to be based on the idea that doing X for hours on end is boring and grindy. Well, yeah. Don't just do X. You don't have to just do X.

Two counter-arguments:
  1. Doing a little of everything the game offers kills the Role Playing experience. You may argue that Bannerlord is not a RPG, but it certainly has a lot of RPG elements (however weak they may be)...
  2. Doing a little of everything the game offers kills replayability. There is not enough meaningful randomness in the game between playthroughs to mitigate how boring it is to have the same playstyle with every character.

Yeah but that is the issue. People here are arguing, they cannot trade effectively because carring their goods slows them down too much. In your example I would quest and hunt, then, seeing very cheap, -er- fur, buy it, instantely being unable to hunt any bandit that is near me. So every quest where you have to follow someone is not possible, also every quest involving prisoners and what not. The only thing you can do, is travel to the location you want to sell and hope, the price is still high enough to actually make a profit.
May point is, that people will likely not use goods to trade at all, because it's not rewarding as much, as just hunting the next group of looters.

Though in my current playthrough I kinda managed to get a decent speed right now. But I don't know how exactly I achieved it and it does not seem to be easy.

Also the question, how the AI does it, remains.

Two counter-arguments:
  1. Doing a little of everything the game offers kills the Role Playing experience. You may argue that Bannerlord is not a RPG, but it certainly has a lot of RPG elements (however weak they may be)...
  2. Doing a little of everything the game offers kills replayability. There is not enough meaningful randomness in the game between playthroughs to mitigate how boring it is to have the same playstyle with every character.
2 is taking the argument to another extreme - that not 'just' doing X must mean doing equal parts of X, Y and Z in exactly the same proportions, in the same part of the map, on every playthrough. It doesn't.

Be a trader who fights bandits. Be a trader who doesn't. Be a bandit who fights caravans. Be a merc, be a vassal, be a king, be a minor clan. Do quests, don't do quests. Do quests for lords and increase relations and charm, or ignore them. Do tournaments, or don't.

All games have a finite number of systems to interact with, some degree of fetch this, ferry that, build up your character and your forces. This one isn't actually finished yet.

This sort of complaint often holds up Warband as a superior model which gave much more variety. Really? Feasts? Great - fetch this stuff, talk to all these people. Repeat each day to maximise relations gain. It was just another form of grind, but one that is looked on fondly because the entire game held together - and this one doesn't, quite, yet. Because it's not finished.

Yeah but that is the issue. People here are arguing, they cannot trade effectively because carring their goods slows them down too much. In your example I would quest and hunt, then, seeing very cheap, -er- fur, buy it, instantely being unable to hunt any bandit that is near me. So every quest where you have to follow someone is not possible, also every quest involving prisoners and what not. The only thing you can do, is travel to the location you want to sell and hope, the price is still high enough to actually make a profit.
I don't know how those people are composing their party (including horses) and what loads they're trying to carry, but I just don't recognise that description. Trading opportunistically doesn't mean carrying everything in Calradia. You can trade effectively remaining within your carrying capacity, and with enough (but not too many) horses, you can be quicker than almost any on-foot bandits; at the same time. I'm doing it now on a new 1.5.4 game started today. Similarly - opportunistically - if the price at your target location drops too quickly, stop selling and move on to another town. You'll find another that's profitable, or come back later.

May point is, that people will likely not use goods to trade at all, because it's not rewarding as much, as just hunting the next group of looters.

Though in my current playthrough I kinda managed to get a decent speed right now. But I don't know how exactly I achieved it and it does not seem to be easy.

Also the question, how the AI does it, remains.
could be from mules as they don't have as high herd penalty as work horses and sumpter horses

It feels as though when not in battle and therefor your infantry troops ride horses that the herd penalty isn't adjusted. When they ride extra horses there shouldn't be a herd penalty or a very reduced one but at this moment there is no reduction at all. 500 pack animals are a lot slower that 500 troops riding horses.

Empire Cataphracts has to be the hardest units to get, the most I ever had at a single time is 3-4 in a 120+ man army. There are no bandits that turn into them and finding them in villages is very rare. Also I can't level polearms with lances, I have to switch over to a glave or something else. Using a couched lance use to give you nice xp (which made the risk feel rewarding) now you don't get much of anything, I understand they do more damage but they hit far less than other polearms plus it is dangerous af.

Empire Cataphracts has to be the hardest units to get, the most I ever had at a single time is 3-4 in a 120+ man army. There are no bandits that turn into them and finding them in villages is very rare.

"Extortion by Deserters" in Empire villages (maybe Empire-controlled, I can't recall now) provides 1-5 Imperial Heavy Horsemen per deserter party.

"Extortion by Deserters" in Empire villages (maybe Empire-controlled, I can't recall now) provides 1-5 Imperial Heavy Horsemen per deserter party.
True, and remember to bring a surgeon with doctors oath so they survive to be captured. And the villages only need empire culture (at least in 1.53, I doubt that has changed).

Most village recruits get harvested by the AI before they have time to become wigla. Maybe they could start as wigla or something, just to encourage the logical way of recruiting rather than relying so heavily on capture. I didn't know about that mission until fairly recently.

I got three nobles from villages in 200 days in my 1.54 playthrough, and I now have 40 cataphracts (10 or so lost in battle as well).

Like the others want to have Cataphract helmet, i want to have this guy. Please don't take it away, i love this troop

You can also play games with wife for relation gain.
that does not work anymore
just played with my future to be wife and won and got no relation gain
also she always answers when the game is over with : " Pizi .. its been a while" .. like she sees me for the first time

think this was also the issue in 1.5.3

True, and remember to bring a surgeon with doctors oath so they survive to be captured. And the villages only need empire culture (at least in 1.53, I doubt that has changed).

Most village recruits get harvested by the AI before they have time to become wigla. Maybe they could start as wigla or something, just to encourage the logical way of recruiting rather than relying so heavily on capture. I didn't know about that mission until fairly recently.

I got three nobles from villages in 200 days in my 1.54 playthrough, and I now have 40 cataphracts (10 or so lost in battle as well).
always remember even though you take more losses, simming gives more prisoners than actually fighting

Back
Top Bottom