Beta-branch naming

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi,

I really appreciate the hard work and constant effort put forth by the developers who have been very fast in releasing new versions. But I am having a hard time understanding the different naming schemes for the branches. In the e1.1.0 Release Notes it was mentioned that there will be the main branch and two additional branches. One beta branch and one alpha branch.
e1.1.0 Release Notes said:
For this purpose, we intend to introduce 2 additional branches to Steam. Aside from our public branch, which players will use by default, we will also offer opt-in alpha and beta branches.

I would very much like to join the beta branch, since it seems to be the best compromise of stability and new features.
e1.1.0 Release Notes said:
The beta branch will include content that has gone through our internal testing and will be exposed to public testers for at least one week. During this period, we will address discovered issues with hotfixes. Our goal is a weekly cycle where we push our internal version to the beta and the prior beta version to the main Steam build. However, if serious challenges arise, we may delay an update until those issues have been addressed.

Right now I am a bit at a loss here, because there are so many branches that seem to be getting updates. For one, 1.0.11 got released after the 1.1.0 version. I switched to the 1.1.0 branch since that was introduced as being the beta-branch. Interestingly, that branch received updates without increasing the version, so after two updates I downloaded, we're still at version 1.1.0 and not 1.1.2 as I would have guessed. And now there is the release of 1.2.0...which ALSO seems to be a beta release? And then there is the 1.1.0.225653 which suddenly has a completely new naming scheme but also seems to be a beta release?

To illustrate the confusion, here is a screenshot of the current beta selection screen:

gGMrSlw.png

Now...who can tell me which version is the latest beta release and which one is the alpha release?
I would really appreciate it if there would be a naming convention that would make it easier to distinguish between the different branches.

Stable (default) is equal to 1.1.0 is equal to 1.1.0.225653, as far as I can tell. When you switch between them, it doesn't look like any new data is downloaded.

The current beta is the last one on the list, 1.2.0. It has all the latest stuff. The alpha branch has not yet been activated.

The naming convention is just gonna be the version numbering. Left to right, highest number is the newest.

Back
Top Bottom