Bannerlord SP First Reactions: Megathread

Users who are viewing this thread

I really don't like the AI clustering. Is it possible for AI to stop clustering. Especially when there are few enemies. Maybe the AI will decide to hold some people back, encircle the enemy and send a few at a time to finish the enemy off. It just looks so zombie-ish to see a cluster chasing a single guy around.

Restrictions on pumping skills and attributes, as if they are symbolic skills and do not significantly affect the behavior of your hero. Lack of balance in the game - you are pumped, opponents are pumped and become, even, stronger than you. Binding the dependence of the CASTLE to the villages, a castle without a village - everyone will die of hunger. Horses in the inventory increase the carried weight, but do not increase the speed of movement on the global map. You can not equip and pump over the skills, lords, which are lured from other kingdoms. You can’t bribe anyone or appease anyone with a coin to enhance relations (with settlements, key characters, companions, lords). Training grounds do not have the ability to train your companions and recruits, for skills, experience, skills. I understand that the game is not ready. I hope these moments when the game is released, at least partially come true. Of course, I know in words how to fix a lot, but to do as developers is not a skill. Just an assumption, how about.

The biggest problem I've seen so far is supporting a faction with the dragon banner basically dooms it. I gave it to Rahega and, we went to war with 3 factions at the same time. Now those factions are slowing taking every settlement on the map. You would think the macguffin You jump through hoops for would help you out not doom you to failure.

Some suggestions:
Battle
F6 is good, but it's still disappointing when you want to command the army yourself. I suggest something like the one in Freeman Guerilla Warfare.
Range weapons are way too powerful. Low tier archers should be much less accurate. Bows are powerful but difficult. A beginner cannot hit anything except his own arm with a bow. Also the maximum range for firing should be at most 150m. Nowadays my top-tier archers will aim at the sky in the beginning of battle.
Accuracy of thrown weapons should be lowered, especially for AI. I actually think there should be an additional penalty for ai because one of the main difficulties in aiming thrown weapons is the trajectory. Players have to guess the range and trajectory on their own, whereas AI could calculate the trajectories accurately. Therefore AI could hit the target with a elegant curve at a long range but players cannot. It is only fair to implement an additional penalty for ai.
Accuracy for melee cavalry should be increased. Now its hard for them to hit anything on horse back, so that heavy cavalry could loose the battle against equal amount of archers.
Siege
Many of the cities and castles could be defined as "strategical point", i.e., large hostile armies cannot pass its surrendering without first besieging the settlement first (more or less like in EU4). That is what castles are for, aren't they? For example, Myzea should control the mountain pass so that enemies cannot pass from samatha to melion or orthra.
In siege there should be an opinion to build trebuchet in the reserve instead of build it in the front line and move it to reserve.
Battering rams should have some protection on the side, or at least player should have the opinion to build such rams at higher cost. Also, player should have the choice to build a better siege tower with an additional floor for archers.
The defender should be able to surrender. Also, if someone in the city is at high relation with the attacker, they could open the gate for the besieger (whereas the defender might also use it as a trap)
Clan
Clan leader should be able to give command to the clan parties. The emperor should be able to give order to all the armies in his empire. Also, they could ask the clan members to refuse to join other armies.
Fertility is too high. My wife gave birth to five kids successively in four years then die at child birth.

Last edited:
Amazing game, amazing experience and an awesomely beautiful world! You have done a wonderful job, Taleworlds! Can't wait to see what else you will come up with about the game! Thank you for a week of pure joy!

Game is already really good and enjoyable for me in this current situation.
I think most important thing it misses is kingdom creation... hope you guys implement it soon:smile:

Amazing game for EA, I have no doubt that Bannerlord will be a very good game once all the bugs are fixed and the rest of the content is added. Bravo Bannerlord devs you guys have done a great job and it is clearly a project of passion and not just profit.

I think the graphics and the quality of life changes are amazing. It's hard to go back to warband even though this is unfinished and still in process. However, there are a couple concerns that I have.

First of all, the changes to snowballing are going in the right direction. However, the issue with garrisons seems to have gone a little off track. It's a good idea to let the AI take from garrisons, but I believe that taking from player garrisons is an issue because a lot of players like to store their elite troops in there for reserve, but this is letting the AI take those troops from players without any player incentives. This is making me want to just not put many troops in my garrison in fear of the AI taking from it.

The second issue with the snowballing is that the AI has nothing to do besides declare war and continue. There are no feasts to pause war and there is no concept like in the previous game of a faction declaring war on another to curb their growth of power and others joining in.

I also wanted to bring up the issue of kingdom diplomacy. As of right now, the act of abstaining causes your relations to drop with all parties. This kinda feels bad because there's no way to ever be true neutral and not lose relations with anyone. You will always end up with someone in your faction hating you.

Likewise, in the voting screen, it's weird because you won't always be included in the vote even if you were the one were the one who took over the town/castle. I understand if the AI votes another person in order to give priority to those who don't have a fief, but it's weird that it's always limited to certain people.

I know this is brought up a lot in the forums and might be hard to implement, but the formations aren't exactly working the best way. Calling a shieldwall won't force the shielded soldiers up front. Instead, anyone goes up front. It also prioritizes defense so much that those in shieldwall won't attack leading to high tier infantry losing to lower tier. Secondly, those in the shieldwall will sometimes run way out of formation in order to attack opponents which opens up the entire wall. Third, even spearmen in formations will kinda mess up and just use their backup sword/mace even when cavalry are nearby. This removes their possibility of countering the cavalry charge.

Also, there is a weird cycle going on within property that makes it hard to turn around negatives. For example, if the castle you take over has low food, they get lowered prosperity because of the lowered food. However, the lowered prosperity also lowers the incoming food which makes everything happen again as well as lower the morale/loyalty which in turn also lowers production. This makes it harder to build settlement things like a farmstead that would increase food.

Lastly, I do like the changes to armor and damage. I think it's more fair that everyone is vulnerable to damage even though they have high armor. However, a drawback of the high damage weapons means that if you have low armor, you'll very easily be taken out. I liked that in the previous game, there was a stat for health which allowed for troops like berserkers to have low/zero armor, but take lots of lower damage attacks like weak arrows because they would have high hp. I think something should be implemented so that there are more ways to have higher hp which would let berserkers be more viable. As of right now, they can easily be one/two shotted by arrows when previously you'd have to look for them and take them out carefully before they reached your lines.

Last edited:
Nice to see updates being released daily, They do help to balance the game, and the mods in Nexus while they are not groundbreaking are a step towards the right direction. Modding tools would be real nice, but i understand that its not a priority.

I've played for 40 something hours now, and as a new player who was unfamiliar with M&B these are my thoughts:

-There needs to be a crosshair option* for melee. It's super frustrating as it is. It's alleviated slightly by switching to first person, but that view is quite clunky as it is (for example not being able to see over the shield at all when blocking). I'm expecting snark from the veteran forum dwellers, but then why is there a crosshair for bows & crossbows? They can't be mutually exclusive.
* This could be under campaign difficulty.
-More varied quests would be good.
-Loadouts for your character. I like to use spears and lances on horse with a bow secondary but when I have to go on foot like in bandit hideouts I can't fight for sh*t with a spear and shield. If i could switch quickly without dragging stuff from the main inventory (which I might also accidently sell) it would be helpful.

Otherwise, fantastic game so far. It's looking very promising.

Wishing you guys all the best.

Most say am kind of disappointed so far, based on it is a game that has been in development for seven years.

First the good
* Grafics are amazing, the world looks so real and you guys did a great job.
* Riding feels amazing
* UI feels so smooth and modern
* The living economy is pretty cool, love earning **** ton of cash because a city is starving.

Then there is the bad (Note that some of these might be wrong as i have only played 12 hours, and i play on realistic)
* Lack of features from Warband and it's mods. You can be a freelancer, becoming a solder in a nobles army, you can't make ambushes, you can't set camp, can't have relations with factions if your not in one
* The mission, own good the missions are almost worse then Warband. The search the village for hidden people, are so boring. The convince mini person on something "mini games" are just press the ones with the highest chance, until you have pressed them all. The train troops, is almost impossible, you can't find enough looters to kill with in that time, you with loosing any of the recruits. And you can't train them with you leadership, because it is almost impossible to level it up early game.
* Feeling distanced from how i affect other people. Auto turning in quests, no response for wining or loosing tournaments from other participants, can't talk with my fellows expect for kicking them out and giving them roles. Not getting any thing, from having helped a noble fight bandits. Seemingly no new iteration possibilities from gaining good reputation with commoners. You don't get anything from asking people stuff, like the tavern keepers
* The directional shield turning. When i fight with shield, he consistently turns his shield right and opens me op. Please allow me to turn it off, like i have never seen the ai use anything but front facing shield block. It might just be because the directions are to sensitive.
* The leveling system is ... odd. Some skills seem impossible to level up in early game, such as leadership. And it completely destroy the progression of followers, as i have never seen any one of them ever go up a level, and 70% of them seem to only be high level fighters.
* Shallow mechanics. I feel like many of the things you can do in the game as no depth (maybe except politic/kingdom running, have not done that yet). But for exsamle when i finally gathered 15000gold to get a workshop, and picked it's production. I was like is that it ?? no upgrades to buy, no special missions, the mod which that got it from even had more to do, such as choosing if you want them to auto buy and or sell resurese, or make to give them/take the resureses. The same goes for caravans, they just generate some money, and that is kind of it. I had hoped for a lot more.
* The banners, every one has the same colours, and just have have 5 (i think) of each. It feels a bit life less.
* Unbalanced encounters. Fighting hideouts, and thugs in the city. Is just impossible sometimes late game, where in hideout battles 10 vs 100 ... good luck. Also had may first battle against a gang leader, and the battle said their 24 vs my 61, but in the battle it was 24 vs 14(or something like that) where most of my dudes used their fists ...
* Lack of information. There is a lot of information which you could find i Warband, which i simple is not able to figure out how to find. Also a lot of the mechanics are not really that well explained.
* HP curve. The amount of life low tier units has is a bit much. I can shoot a looter in the head with a tier 3 bow for 85 damage and he will just continue running.

Hey guys, do you know what is deifference between poopy pesant and expirienced elite warrior with hundreds battles and killed foes? 15% of speed and 15% of damage.

Feeling of progression in this game just doesnt exist.

So... almost 80 hours into the game and I'll drop my thoughts about it; the good and the bad.

The good:
  • Graphics. They did a stellar job regarding the looks of the game; including the vibrant customization options. The game looks very pretty and runs very smooth (except in sieges, but I will get to that later).
  • Tutorial. The tutorial and introduction is very well done and new-player friendly, even as a Warband veteran I found it a very good addition, playing through it numerous times to get a feel for the game.
  • World building, map design, artwork, soundtrack etc. The world map is amazing, the different factions are well-done and the overal themes and cultures are very neat. Some very good and catchy pieces of music in-game as well.
  • The UI. A massive improvement, it feels much more modern and user-friendly while still keeping in touch with the medieval setting.
  • The RPG skill tree. The amount of skills, perks and passives you can learn are amazing. Its got depth, its got creativity, and it feels like a true sandbox where you can branch out and do many different things in each new playthrough, which will only get better and better as the game progresses and will eventually get out of Early Access.
  • Combat and horse riding. A great improvement. Ragdolls are very realistic, and when you throw a javelin or cut someone with your twohanded sword it feels very realistic and satisfying. I can really see they put a lot of work into the combat, having improved and built upon the original Warband combat.
  • Developers and community manager(s). :love: The game is actively being patched and there's good communication. The game is rough, but within time, it'll be one of the best creations to have ever graced this Earth.
The bad:
  • Sieges. For me at least, I know others have had good experiences but for a lot of people including myself, they are borderline unplayable. The performance in sieges is abysmal. I can have relatively large, open field battles - but even the smallest siege cripples my system. 3-20 FPS is common, and it turns my game into a slideshow. I have an i7 7700k and a GTX 1080, which should be more than enough to run them. Performance aside, the AI in sieges are completely braindead. It is pretty much Warband 2.0. The AI clumps up, units don't listen to what you tell them, units don't climb ladders, and so forth. The issue I suffer most from and find most annoying, is that for some reason I have archers in my infantry group, infantry in my archer group and so forth. Units seem to get randomized and then put in different divisions/groups (?) I really have no idea what this is about. Sieges are so clunky and I dislike them a lot, which is a shame cause it was the feature I looked forward most to, yet they are absolutely abysmal and not fun to play. Sieges need A LOT of work.
  • Quests. Considering it's been 8 years since the Bannerlord announcement, I expected more of the quests and dialogue. The village quests are about the same, shallow experience as they were in Warband and there is barely any variety either. Quest dialogue and overal in-game dialogue has spelling errors here and there, and unfinished text as well. The main quest where you have to talk to 10 lords and find out information about the item given to you is badly done. You have to travel all over the map and hopefully run into the 10 lords that have information for you.
  • XP gain. You're pretty much forced to use mods/cheats if you want to get anything out of your skill trees and get the passives. Especially Smithing and Engineering I've found to be one of the major culprits that even with mods, are a disaster to level up. And like, does uh... does Medicine even work? How long do I need to sit in a town to heal up my wounded troops before this skill tree starts to level up? Entire decades? Engineering isn't fun to level up either, and neither is blacksmithing. There's not enough forts and towns in Bannerlord to siege in order to level up Engineering to its late-tier with the current rate of XP gain, lmao.
  • Loading screens. Considering it's 2020, it's pretty much unacceptable for there to be so many loading screens. We all know the Looter example, you get 2 or 3 before you're finally in a battle with them... just... why? But I'll list an even worse example. Victorious on your large 300v500 battle and defeated the 5 enemy lords? Great! Lets take them prisoner! ...YOU WILL LITERALLY GET FIVE ENTIRE LOADING SCREENS! For each lord, a dialogue will pop up where you take them prisoner, once you've taken them prisoner the game goes into a loading screen where it loads the other lord. Then, you take them prisoner and then you get another loading screen until its loaded the next lord. Why can I not take all 5 lords prisoner at the same time? What year is this? 2004? Terrible design.

These are my main delights, and my main issues with the game. I have fun playing it, but other times I do not - which is a shame. I can only look forward to many months from now, where the game will 100% be in a much better state than it is now. Because as of right now, and it pains me to say it, I expected more from 8+ years of work.

Some suggestions:
Battle
F6 is good, but it's still disappointing when you want to command the army yourself. I suggest something like the one in Freeman Guerilla Warfare.
Range weapons are way too powerful. Low tier archers should be much less accurate. Bows are powerful but difficult. A beginner cannot hit anything except his own arm with a bow. Also the maximum range for firing should be at most 150m. Nowadays my top-tier archers will aim at the sky in the beginning of battle.
Accuracy of thrown weapons should be lowered, especially for AI. I actually think there should be an additional penalty for ai because one of the main difficulties in aiming thrown weapons is the trajectory. Players have to guess the range and trajectory on their own, whereas AI could calculate the trajectories accurately. Therefore AI could hit the target with a elegant curve at a long range but players cannot. It is only fair to implement an additional penalty for ai.
Accuracy for melee cavalry should be increased. Now its hard for them to hit anything on horse back, so that heavy cavalry could loose the battle against equal amount of archers.
Siege
Many of the cities and castles could be defined as "strategical point", i.e., large hostile armies cannot pass its surrendering without first besieging the settlement first (more or less like in EU4). That is what castles are for, aren't they? For example, Myzea should control the mountain pass so that enemies cannot pass from samatha to melion or orthra.
In siege there should be an opinion to build trebuchet in the reserve instead of build it in the front line and move it to reserve.
Battering rams should have some protection on the side, or at least player should have the opinion to build such rams at higher cost. Also, player should have the choice to build a better siege tower with an additional floor for archers.
The defender should be able to surrender. Also, if someone in the city is at high relation with the attacker, they could open the gate for the besieger (whereas the defender might also use it as a trap)
Clan
Clan leader should be able to give command to the clan parties. The emperor should be able to give order to all the armies in his empire. Also, they could ask the clan members to refuse to join other armies.
Fertility is too high. My wife gave birth to five kids successively in four years then die at child birth.
Great stuff, I agree

To be perfectly honest, I haven't been this addicted to a game since vanilla WoW launch back in 04'. Since EA launch I've stayed up between 4-5 in the morning playing this game! Thanks for this gem TW! Also love the passion you guys have for this game, the constant updates & fixes you guys are doing are awesome! Keep it up & can't wait to see what the future holds for Bannerlord.

The skill tree is a total mystery before you start, meaning you have to chose options before you understand them.
Trying to find lords to pledge allegience to is next to impossible, where is so and so? 'last sighted here 2 days ago' travel to location, spiral out searching, find nothing. Not to mention if you sign up during an active war, you need troops, so you are either paying wages whilst trying to find them or have no army to in with their attacks.

War status is not declared (anywhere Ive seen) only in the faction tab do you know if there is a war on. or when a war has been ended.

Armys being disbanded, a few times now ive been in an army, we won every fight, then it gets led balls deep into a waring nation and disbands. Usually when in spitting distance of the waring nations armys.

No ability to communicate with other lords in an army once it is joined. I might have wanted to **** talk them about their previous performance.

Bandit camps = complete joke, let me take my army in or at very least an group of my chosing.

Villiage missions:-
Train these guys:- Looters and other mobs run too fast on the over world. This makes it easy to fail, given you can only really throw them at looters. I just failed this mission and im livid, 9/10 trained, 1/10 50% trained and out of pocket for trying to run down enough looters to level them up.

Fued:- Lets start a fight point blank on horseback. Turn your horse the wrong way and its mission fail. Get off your horse, try and fight and pray the idiot is able to block 3 guys attacking him.

Escort the caravan:- No option to actual follow, you just have to constantly click near it and semi orbit it. Zero danger, no group intentionally attacks. But can be used to bait looters and raiders.

Take Goods to market:- Again no attacks on you whilst doing this. Mission does not stack with similar missions.

Workshops:- no profit or loss information, no fast way to just buy a workshop.

Town missions:- Ill be honest, after the **** show of the villiage missions I was not interested.

There are so many pointless transitions. You run up on a target, transition in, choose fight, transition out, have to chose fight again, transition in. fight, transition out. All communication could be done on the overworld without transition.

The Tutorial is pretty useless, its an after thought for a game made for vetran players.
No info on how to trade
No info on how trade caravans work
No info on workshops (within the tutorial) and no profit loss for said workshops before buying them
No info that you need to have pledged to a faction to join in wars
No info on how to build your own faction
No info on how you can own a villiage, town or castle
No Info on how moral works (both on the overworld and within battles)
No Info on how sieges work
All of this info needs to be available to new players ingame (its not good enough to need the comunity to explain your game to itself)

The lack off ingame detail about mechanics makes this game very frustrating.
Its only down to the amazing work the community has put into guides and mods that im still playing.

As for the 'its in EA' argument, I took that tact with 7 days to die and that game is a shambles.

"Retreat" system is broken, allowing u to reatreat from a fight with a much bigger force and going in after u gain some kills with your archers or cav. It means u can go in and retreat as many times u want, allowing u to beat armies 2x, 3x times bigger than yours. Silly and stupid need to be fixed ASAP !

Back
Top Bottom