Bannerlord SP First Reactions: Megathread

Users who are viewing this thread

Executing-rhagaea.png

End of Southern Empire.

Can we have a pinned thread for quick questions?

What does auto allocation of clan member perks do? Does it randomly allocate the perks? If you don't select it are you able to choose the perks for them yourself?

For me, to say it quickly, it's a disappointment. I'm a M&B veteran and I was expecting a lot more after 8 years. So many things are missing, even compared to Warband (books?! Poems?! Bards?! Banquets?!)...So many broken promises (new AI?! Living world?! New things to do?!). These are just a few examples. But so many things are missing...for me it's an excellent Warband mod, but it's not worthy of the hype and the fans' expectations, who were waiting for a real revival, a more lively world, a performing AI and real news mechanical.

To finish on a positive note: the new recruiting system is pretty good (even if it lacks options to quickly rank your troops later in the game and a massive recruiting system), clans are a great idea, the new interface is cool. There are some good points, and in absolute terms it looks like Warband, but it's clean and neat (if you forget the many things that are missing).

I hope they'll fix the flaws, AI issues (cavalry that never or almost never hit) and other problematic points. However, I don't get my hopes up about the game's core, which won't change. It's to late to make Bannerlord not a disappointment, but you can still save many things.

I created new character to start from "clean", and for to test other skill combinatios etc. Now in the inventory, party and city/town interface, most icons have that spinning loading circle over items and troops. cant use arrows to fast recruit, have to open item/troop and click there to equip/recruit. Anyone knows how to fix that? i tried to verify game files, that didnt help.

And when you enter battle, character is invisible, and cant see what weapon is used or the direction of attack.

bannerlord_problme.png

Last edited:
A sort of roadmap would be very nice! So that we know if features like feasts that where in the last game will be included later or not

I'm loving the game but I keep finding tiny nitpicks. Why do many of the spears that look like they'd be able to swing for slashing damage only stab? The long hewing spear cannot hew, and this confuses me. Will this be fixed in a patch or should I learn how to mod?

I can't play the game as much as I want, my personal computer cannot handle taverns (apparently it's an issue related to Windows 7) but I love how the game feels. There are some points where I feel out of my depth or like I'm missing something but, overall, this has been what I've wanted since Bannerlord was announced.

Can't wait to see the mods!

So after 40 hours of gameplay here is a little feedback of what I didn't like (may be tastes or bugs). But first I have to thank the devs that are doing a amazing work with their daily patch! Bannerlord has great foundations and I hope you will bring your game to the next level over the year.

1)Early game: when I started my first game I was excited to see how you made the world alive. Cities have more than one citizen, the map is dense and they are parties roaming everywhere. BUT, after an hour or so I noticed that there wasn't much to do early game aside hunting looters and going one way and the other to buy/sell stuff. the arena would have been an alternative but it gives no XP. Some quests are there but a lot of them are not clear about what is at stakes and they may cost your reputation or your entire small party (still talking early game). It would have been nice to have a militia post where you can take generic missions with a variety of difficulties and situations (e.g. routine patrol, assist the militia to besiege a small bandit stronghold,transport military supplies to an outpost and help them to fight bandits, etc.) . I wasn't expecting something too complex but just a bit of variety instead of roaming the map to catch these endless looters. I would have also liked something similar but for trade activities such as to buy and manage a small farm where you can specialized what you produce and obtain some trade quests as a function of what you want to do with. It would have helped me to immerse myself in Calradia, learn (again) the basic, and start to think that I do not want to be the little farmer but the ruler of the town.

2) The arena: it is big disappointment for me... Aside the fact that it doesn't give you xp (fixed) I would have liked to have the ability to live as a gladiator fighting during different type of events with different rules. Something with more tactical choices than what we have currently such as to build a small gladiator team and to lead them in the arena. I would have also liked to be able to choose my weapons, or at least amongst a set of weapons allowed by the event rules.

3) XP gain and leveling: I do not know if this is wanted but the level progression is way to slow in my opinion, especially for the companions. I also do not like that they are hired with a substantial amount of level because I cannot choose their skills and attributes. I am fine if they do not come level 1 and have a specialization (scout, surgeon, etc.) but please let me choose their bonus. Also, my scout has 80 in scouting but only 2 in CNG...not very usefull.

4) Upgrading bandit to Vlandian banner knight: I do not know if this is a bug or not. when you upgrade bandits to a horseman (sorry I forgot the name), you will need a war horse. The issue is that if you want to convert this bandit horseman up to the next level you need a second war horse (maybe he will eat the first one?).I find this weird. The funny thing is I hired a Vlandian Gallant, which also end up as banner knight and he didn't need a war horse when I upgraded him.

5) leadership skill and bonus tree: It seems that leadership does not significantly increase below 80-90 soldiers or if you do not lead armies. The issue is that the bonus allowing to convert bandit into regular troops is quite late in the bonus tree. I find a bit weird that early game you potentially hire a lot of bandits but that you need to wait the late game to improve them because your leadership skill doesn't increase. This coupled with all the war horses required make my "bandit willing to become a lord" game not worthy at all.

6)Reinforcement range: often when I attack and enemy I have the bad surprise that that my allies do not join the fight, while it looks like that they are not that far. It would be nice to have an option that we can enable to show the reinforcement range of surrounding units.

7) Disband my secondary party: I was next to my second party and decided to disband it. I do not know why but instead of joining my party or the closest city my companion was teleported to one of farthest city of the map. Also creating a party seems to allow my companion to hire well trained soldiers from nowhere (he gain 15 soldiers instantly while we weren't in town). This can be abused.

8 ) Melee damage while riding a horse:I often miss my hit with blades and spears while I feel that I am at an appropriate range. I played Warband and I remember that it is not easy to fight on a horse but here I just have the feeling that something does not work very well.

9) Name of character: it would be great to be able tor rename the characters of our family. Maybe I would like to start as "Garvil the bloody" and end my game as "Garvil the mighty". We can already change the name of the clan so why not the name of our characters? I also had a little bug with the update 1.05. I named my character Garvil but after the update his name was Garvilq.

10) Import character: I would like to be able to export my characters thus I can import them when I start a new game (with their current level and statistics). Thus if the game start to be boring for any reason (snowballing or else) I can restart a new game but still with the same clan leader or maybe even with his son or daughter instead. This would bring some continuity from a game to another.

11) Looters' throwing stone: I feel that their range is too high and basically a reskin of the javelin (with less damage). As an archer I feel that they can aim at me with high accuracy at the same range that i can aim them with my bow with the same accuracy. I think that the range, the accuracy and also the projectile speed and trajectory is too good for a poor daredevil fighting with a big stone. Fixed!

12) more advanced party management: Let says that I have 40 recruits and 20 footmen and that they are assigned to group 1. Currently, I can assign the 40 or 20 footmen to another group (let says group 2). However, it seems that there is no feature to split my recruits and footmen into two groups thus I can assign 20 recruits and 10 footmen in group 1 and the 20+10 others in group 2. Such type of more advanced party management would considerably improve the tactical part on the battlefield because each of my fighting group will have the composition and strenght that is required for its role.

13) better inventory management: I would like to be able to create sections in my inventory to which I can associate some rules such as: a) The section can only be filled by drag and drop. b) lock the section. 3) move the section up and down in the inventory 4) lock the position of the section in the inventory. This would be an interesting quality of life improvement because currently when I am willing to sell a lot of loot I always have to be very careful to avoid selling goods/equipment that I was willing to keep. This would also required the ability to split goods/equipment in the inventory (e.g. split 20 units of wine into two times 10 units)

I am convince that this game will become better day after day but it wouldn't hurt to have a roadmap to know what we can expect to be added in the game.

EDIT: I will update this post when I am thinking to something else.

Last edited:
The game shows tremendous promise. It has much of what was once loved, with a lot of new and interesting little additions. I love the new graphics, the new armour designs, and the addition of factional politics that have given life to some of the characters. Tournaments giving valuable items as prizes is a nice touch (again, could use a little tweaking, but still wonderful!).

There are, of course, an epic number of bugs and balance issues -- some of which terminate the game either too soon, or suddenly and entirely. But that's expected at this point, and I've been amazed at how hard the Devs have been working to patch up problems ASAP. Getting an update on a Saturday was not expected.... now go home and sleep, you lot. Take Sunday off, at least. :wink:

I think once a stable version is in place, where various elements don't cause the frame rate to grind down to bad stop-motion animation, we'll have a wonderful canvas for modders to work with -- though the new Calradia is such a rich environment, and the new state of the game so detailed compared to the original, that I can only imagine the new generation of mods will be pretty mind-blowing.

I'm curious if a general modding tool is also in the works, like the one that Neverwinter Nights used to have. That would be a fantastic addition.

So far i have put 77 hours into it and the gameplay and combat feels amazing.

I am getting a little weary of crashes, missing features and bugs but that is to be expected in early access.
I have had to started over again 3 times now because of bugs, patches or updates making my saves either corrupt or unsalvageable.
For instance at one point i had to leave my own kingdom to get out of a looping bug which forced me into a war against myself and my own kingdom, it worked for a while but eventually it made the game crash evey time i tried to load the save.

But despite these things the overall first impression for me is positive :smile:

Really disappointed by the gang stuff.

Took on a group of thugs with my companions, killed them all, beat the reinforcments and the gang leader. Thought, 'Aha! The waterfront is mine!'

Didn't even get to take the gang leader prisoner, nevermind capture the territory and be a mobster myself.

Feels like doing anything other than 'Be a lord' is pointless. Doesn't feel like 8 years of development. Sorry.

Countryside vacations are relaxing. I see that the people at Talewords are pushing fixes and patches at quite a quick rate, but progress is being made, i remember one bug that i had encountered too was that if you skipped tutorial, your party couldn't starve no matter how big your party was or even if you had no food, they have fixed that.

Oh and about that autoblock, i found that in Nexus there is a small modification that allows you to use autoblock in the game. In case someone is interested its worth checking out, other useful modifications exist there already.

I also heard from a friend that they are working on the modding tools actively and we may even get them before the full version is released, but i don't mind if i have to wait. Though looking back at 2006 for example, that beta had mods before even the 1.011 version was released. https://www.neoseeker.com/news/16962-scottish-police-investigating-mount-blade-gangs-of-glasgow-mod/
Some mods got the attention of police as well...

Just fought my first really big battle and I have to say it was SO exciting! Such good bloody fun - my lance cut down Imperials on horse or on foot! Once auto-block is brought back in, I'll be really happy but I can live with the combat as it is (with a shield!).
Looking forward to each fix and improvement, Talewords! Wonderful stuff! ?

Doesn't feel like 8 years of development. Sorry.

This is really the core of the problem with this game for me. I'm less disappointed than others mainly because I was expecting it to be **** (actually I was expecting it to never release at all), and it's not bad, but as you say it feels more like a Warband mod. My problem is not even the missing stuff or the lack of innovations. It's that I really can't see where the hell did 8 years of development go.Graphics - something I wasn't really expecting much of - are sufficient at best with some really obscene character design that make people look like disproportionate half ogres. Horseback fighting vs infantry is broken due to some blatant issue with either weapon length or hitboxes (at first I thought maybe I'm using an incredibly short sword, but nope, it's actually one of the longest I could find). Plus there are some absolutely absurd decisions like arenas not giving XP, even a relatively minor thing like removing the auto-blocking feels like a slap in the face. People keep saying there's still one year of development but if this is the state of things after 8, I don't expect much from another year out.

I hate new skill and lvl up system.

Thats why:

1) It is very grindy. I want a fun, now following one lord for 10 hours to increase Spoter skill
2) Lvl gaining will slows down very soon and very hard.
3) Never choose easy to learn skills at the start, becouse you will stuck at lvl 10 forever. Combat skills, smithing, riding and trade are very aeasy to learn, so you need them at lvl 0, so you can:
a) have a high skill of spoting or another "hard to learn" skills.
b) Lvl up more and faster
4) You will never ever see some skills if you are not a some sort of maniac

Last edited:
Hi all. not sure you fellas figured this out already, but i spent literally hours raoming the map looking for the missing companions. to the point where i simply quit the game thinking to come back to it another day.
anyhow, a quick guide here, hope its useful to some of you:

This is my first M&B game and I love it the game is flawed but brilliant like a diamond that has yet to be polished(it's in Ea so it will only get better.). I can see a lot of scope for modding. I am not a modder but I can't wait to see what the community come up with.

Back
Top Bottom