Bannerlord & Linux Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Amazing! I have the same distro but I have been using it for three years. I made a test prefix and it kind of worked but its not smooth. Installing .net 4.8 is not an easy feat in Linux so compliments. I hope that Taleworlds fixes this so that it runs like it did before 1.2 but with 1.2. Pretty impressive because there are threads in Steam and here about this beta not working in Linux.
It wasn't hard to instal '.net 4.8'
I searched on 'protondb bannerlord for info'.

Steps:
1) Install steam en bannerlord beta v1.2
2) bannerlord properties in steam → proton experimental
3) install 'protontricks'
4) install .net 4.8 with 'protontrick' or with terminal
5) disable steam overlay for bannerlord in properties

I also managed to use mangohud in bannerlord with launch option.

Steam workshop mods works so far.

It wasn't hard to instal '.net 4.8'
I searched on 'protondb bannerlord for info'.

Steps:
1) Install steam en bannerlord beta v1.2
2) bannerlord properties in steam → proton experimental
3) install 'protontricks'
4) install .net 4.8 with 'protontrick' or with terminal
5) disable steam overlay for bannerlord in properties

I also managed to use mangohud in bannerlord with launch option.

Steam workshop mods works so far.
I tried it out and it surprisingly worked. I got to work different ways that are more difficult than your 5 steps. About it being hard with a little searching you will see what I mean even on this thread this has perplexed Linux users in this game and others. I was going to post the way I got it working but you beat me.

One of the many Bannerlord prefixes with dotnet4.8 became unstable so I'm interested if that happens with yours.

Last edited:
I tried it out and it surprisingly worked. I got to work different ways that are more difficult than your 5 steps. About it being hard with a little searching you will see what I mean even on this thread this has perplexed Linux users in this game and others. I was going to post the way I got it working but you beat me.

One of the many Bannerlord prefixes with dotnet4.8 became unstable so I'm interested if that happens with yours.
I've played around 4 hours so far:
No crashes, smooth gameplay (same like windows).
Only difference I see, is saving times are doubled (around 5 seconds in total).

I don't know what you excactly mean with prefixes (I'm linux noob). But I think i used the default wineprefix/protontricks before I installet .net 4.8 for bannerlord

I've played around 4 hours so far:
No crashes, smooth gameplay (same like windows).
Only difference I see, is saving times are doubled (around 5 seconds in total).

I don't know what you excactly mean with prefixes (I'm linux noob). But I think i used the default wineprefix/protontricks before I installet .net 4.8 for bannerlord
This is a very powerful part of being a Linux user.

A wine prefix or a proton prefix is a separate instance for a game or program with corresponding instance of profile files and directories like the 'user' directory in Window's c:drive. So in the case of Bannerlord you install Bannerlord only once but you can make as many proton prefixes as you want that makes its on profile completely separate from each other. So you could have a profile or prefix just for a vanilla unmodded play through or you could have a separate one that is extremely heavily modded.

Each proton prefix is separate and independent meaning that you will have separate saves for each profiles and separate settings for Bannerlord based upon that separate instance or directory. When you make "Bannerlord 0000" as your first unique prefix it will have no saves and it will start just like the first time you installed Bannerlord. It has no affect on the standard Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord documents directory because it has its own. So if you made a "Bannerlord 0001" as a second profile then you get another separate instance. So if you wanted to play a mod like Bannerkings you can have a dedicated profile or prefix from it and if you want to start another mod that's a total conversion like Land of Sika then you can have a separate prefix for it. Remember each prefix will have its own user files, game settings, mod load outs and saves.

Any dependencies like dotnet4.8 is going to have to be reinstalled for each prefix but you could have one that has it because you want it and you can have that doesn't. Its not obvious that Linux can be used this way and its hard to find literature online about this but its something that I abuse all the time especially for Bannerlord.

Last edited:
How to create a separate Bannerlord prefix in Steam?

Open Steam go to the low left hand corner to the "add a game" button then select the "add a non-steam game" either browse to the directory with the .exe or the .desktop file you are are looking for or you can select one of the icons listed.

Choose browse and using ctrl + v paste in
Code:
/home/manny/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Mount & Blade II Bannerlord/bin/Win64_Shipping_Client/TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe

After that click "Add Selected Programs" this adds the .exe to the Steam Launcher just like another game.
Scroll to find the .exe "TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe". Go to its properties then go to "Shortcuts" its should read like this;
Code:
Target:
/home/manny/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Mount & Blade II Bannerlord/bin/Win64_Shipping_Client/TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe
Start In:
/home/manny/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Mount & Blade II Bannerlord/bin/Win64_Shipping_Client/
Icon:
/home/manny/.myIcons/lutris_mount-blade-ii-bannerlord.png

Right underneath the word "Shortcut" it will say the name of the .exe as its name which is "TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe" you can just rename this to anything like "Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord 0000" The icon above is one that I personally added since the icon is blank its great for making shortcuts to the desktop. Right clicking on the game's link in the launcher there is the manage option which is were you can create a desktop shortcut. This is will appear in your desktop page of your computer like other icons. If you want it to appear in 'menu' or 'start menu' copy the desktop shortcut to "/home/userName/.local/share/applications" and it will show up in your 'menu' (Replace userName with your's. In Linux the start menu is usually just called menu.)

From properties go to compatility to chose the version of proton you want to use and after that the only thing needed is to start up the game through the "TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe" which creates a separate prefix on the fly. This initial start up may take a while because of creating userfiles but after that you have your Bannerlord prefix which can be created many time.

This guide's principles can be used for many program that run through Steam proton, Wine, Bottles, Heroic Game Launcher etc. You could use this for any game or program and it can be used for Bannerlord from GoG or Epic games through Bottles or the Heroic game Launcher.

https://usebottles.com/

Have fun!

Last edited:
How to create a separate Bannerlord prefix in Steam?

Open Steam go to the low left hand corner to the "add a game" button then select the "add a non-steam game" either browse to the directory with the .exe or the .desktop file you are are looking for or you can select one of the icons listed.

Choose browse and using ctrl + v paste in
Code:

After that click "Add Selected Programs" this adds the .exe to the Steam Launcher just like another game.
Scroll to find the .exe "TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe". Go to its properties then go to "Shortcuts" its should read like this;
Code:
Target:
Start In:
/home/manny/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Mount & Blade II Bannerlord/bin/Win64_Shipping_Client/
Icon:
/home/manny/.myIcons/lutris_mount-blade-ii-bannerlord.png

Right underneath the word "Shortcut" it will say the name of the .exe as its name which is "TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe" you can just rename this to anything like "Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord 0000" The icon above is one that I personally added since the icon is blank its great for making shortcuts to the desktop. Right clicking on the game's link in the launcher there is the manage option which is were you can create a desktop shortcut. This is will appear in your desktop page of your computer like other icons. If you want it to appear in 'menu' or 'start menu' copy the desktop shortcut to "/home/userName/.local/share/applications" and it will show up in your 'menu' (Replace userName with your's. In Linux the start menu is usually just called menu.)

From properties go to compatility to chose the version of proton you want to use and after that the only thing needed is to start up the game through the "TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe" which creates a separate prefix on the fly. This initial start up may take a while because of creating userfiles but after that you have your Bannerlord prefix which can be created many time.

This guide's principles can be used for many program that run through Steam proton, Wine, Bottles, Heroic Game Launcher etc. You could use this for any game or program and it can be used for Bannerlord from GoG or Epic games through Bottles or the Heroic game Launcher.

https://usebottles.com/

Have fun!
Thanks for all this usefull info!

I'm eager to learn linux. I already only used open source software for everything with windows. Games was the only thing that prevented me from going from windows to linux. But I'm convinced with a learning curve, that most things will run on linux.

Back
Top Bottom