OSP Medieval 3D Art Al Mansur packs - Medieval bombard uploaded

Users who are viewing this thread

Thanks a lot matmohair1, I didn't know some of these drawings. But I notice something weird : on the Cantigas illustrations, the crested great helms that David Nicolle identify as Andalusian appear to be worn by warriors who are in the middle of Christian armies:
imcantigas0.jpg
cantigasdesantamariaf63.jpg
cantigasdesantamariatro.jpg
:???: So do they represent Andalusian mercenaries or is it a mistake from David Nicolle ? The last possibility would be so disappointing.

:cool: - http://cantigas.webcindario.com/cantigas/indicecantigas.htm

picture1jz.png

regarding the moors within the Spanish army, they could be mercenaries, allies or even converts

imcantigas0.jpg

cantiga_63_06.jpg

cantigasdesantamariatro.jpg

these illustrations depict the clash between the armies of Al Hajib Al Mansur & Don Gracia
who seems to be facing them in the first panel

imcantigas04.jpg

:wink: Arms & Armour in Spain: A Short Survey
By Ada Bruhn de Hoffmeyer

- http://books.google.ae/books?id=QmQFYZSMs-EC&pg=PA158&lpg=PA158&dq=moorish+greathelms&source=bl&ots=oui9VkkWYg&sig=bNZ4drH6X6wgq8fijEKR1DgrzDE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=eB5VT52JCMj48QPw6bzvBQ&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=moorish%20greathelms&f=false

Thanks again, the book is awesome. When you look at the illustrations representing a fight between Al Mansur and Don Garcia, you see that the pink banner of the army in the first pic (with crested great helm) is the same that the one worn by the Christians in the pic of the battle. So I don't know. However I have another illustration of Las Cantigas, where we can see a crested great helm in the middle of a Muslim army:
fooor-7cc6e01920.jpg
In all the other illustrations, great helms worn by Muslims or soldiers among Muslim soldiers are normal great helms, without any crest.

i think it is normal that some lords born in multicultural society like in Iberia,sided with muslims but used european style equipment,El cid fought for both sides for instance

The Knight in the zig-zag black and white livery is not Don Garcia. He is the unnamed "knight who missed the battlle" but Santa Maria made it appear that he was in the battle.  Don Garcia is the figure the knight is bowing to in the 1st panel of Cantiga 63.

The following links include the stories portrayed in the Cantigas:

Military Illustrations of Castillian, Andalusians & Moors from the Cantigas de Santa Maria, c.1284
"The Cantigas de Santa Maria is one of the most notable literary productions of the court of Alfonso X. The Cantigas consist of more than four hundred poems set to music extolling the virtues of the Virgin Mary, and many of the poems derive from events of Alfonso's reign. While the poems were written in 1280, before the illustrations, which were completed on or around 1284, the illustrations have drawn scholars into a world of crosscultural references and literary parallels."
  Full Pages from the Cantigas de Santa Maria
Including larger pictures:

Here is a list of illustrations from Las Cantigas de Santa Maria on non military subjects from manuscript MSTI1:

So that people can find illustrations from the Cantigas de Santa Maria, or identify to which cantiga a panel belongs, I have gathered the Illuminations from codex Florencia Manuscript Banco Rari 2 (CSM 201-234), Page 2 (CSM 235-265), Page 3 (CSM 266-299) & Page 4 (CSM 301-40:cool:.  This has medium size images of nearly all the illuminations of this manuscript (unfortunately all have the Oronoz watermark) except those that have only a framework for an illumination (The Florencia codex is unfinished) and codex MS T.I. 1 (Códice Rico), Page 2, Page 3, Page 4, Page 5, Page 6, Page 7, Page 8, Page 9 & Page 10
They include some links to images of individual panels.

Druzhina
Illustrations of Soldiers

Al_Mansur said:
Thanks a lot matmohair1, I didn't know some of these drawings. But I notice something weird : on the Cantigas illustrations, the crested great helms that David Nicolle identify as Andalusian appear to be worn by warriors who are in the middle of Christian armies:
:???: So do they represent Andalusian mercenaries or is it a mistake from David Nicolle ? The last possibility would be so disappointing.

Nicolle says in the extract posted above that the Christians and Andalusians shared a lot in common. This could include helmet types. 
By calling the crested helmet Andalusian it infers that they invented the type and the Christians may have copied them. Nicolle would only be 'wrong' if the Christians invented them and the Andalusians copied.

See Panel 5 of Cantiga 187 for a different version of the helmet.

Druzhina
sites of wargaming interest

Thanks guys.

@ Druzhina, D. Nicolle does not only say that the crested helmet is of Andalusian origin (which is certainly true as in the Cantigas it is 1000times more common among Andalusians than among Christians, and as there is perhaps earlier representation of this kind of helmets in late 12th and late 10th century art), he says that the knight with the red crested great helm in the middle of the Christian army before the battle against Al Mansur "can be identified as an Andalusian warrior".
Otherwise, you site is really awesome :smile:

Druzhina said:
The Knight in the zig-zag black and white livery is not Don Garcia. He is the unnamed "knight who missed the battlle" but Santa Maria made it appear that he was in the battle.  Don Garcia is the figure the knight is bowing to in the 1st panel of Cantiga 63.

:grin: so that explains it, I got the illustration from a Russian website then used Google translate
which wasn't much help & misread it - it probably might have said "knight in the army of Don Garcia" afterall !
thanks for the help, your site is really amazing

btw, his banner looks quite similar to this Moorish example, White with dark blue zig zags

Flag_Andalusian_Zig_Zag.jpg

:wink: & here are some more references

horses

picture1hye.png

Almogavars & other Spanish troops

almogavaru.jpg

batalladecefismortdegua.jpg

tronocopia.jpg

batalladelcefis.jpg

rogerdefloryalmogvares.jpg

380455a7e7ba.jpg

15guerreroalmogavar.jpg

conquestofmajorcabyking.jpg

Thanks, it is great. I particularly like the Cantiga 187b. It shows many interesting stuffs:
This great helm without cross reinforcement is unique in Las Cantigas:
Cantigas_de_Santa_Maria-f187b-3.htm
In the following panel, we can see two heater shields, one worn by a Muslim and the other by a Christian defender, which rare:
Cantigas_de_Santa_Maria-f187b-4.htm
And in this panel, we can see a hauberk whose pourpoint hasnt' sleeves, which is rather rare too:
Cantigas_de_Santa_Maria-f187b-5.htm

Another interesting stuff is found in Cantiga 256, panel 2:
Cantigas_de_Santa_Maria-256-2.htm
I thought adargas like that (non-heart-shaped) appeared during the 14th century,, but this prooves that they already existed in the 13th century.

Al Mansur,

You may see the pictures but others will not.
The pictures only show if they are in your computer's cache (after visiting the site), as this server does not allow hot-linking.
You are better off posting links rather than images.

Druzhina
sites of wargaming interest

Druzhina, thanks again.

Ulrich von Liechtenstein, glad you like it, but unfortunately I didn't know that churches were turned to the east when I did these city models :neutral:
I'll probably put the icons in the right sense and re-upload them.

Al_Mansur said:
Druzhina, thanks again.

Ulrich von Liechtenstein, glad you like it, but unfortunately I didn't know that churches were turned to the east when I did these city models :neutral:
I'll probably put the icons in the right sense and re-upload them.

What is wrong with churches facing east?

Of course it is. Besides many of my stuffs are already in 1257ad.

Some stuffs I am working on for a mod I didn't announced yet:
gYDn0.jpg

o3aqX.jpg

UpQY.jpg
Y0PxT.jpg
Rxuh.jpg
a1lcK.jpg

c5A8d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom