Users who are viewing this thread

why don't add the lorica segmentata style to the legionary?
With a little change if is necessary.
main-qimg-991eb15fecfe85416cbc5ad7f8904aa4.webp
casco-romano-imperial-con-cresta-cod-h13-n1-500x500.jpg
whetstone-cutlery-casco-oficial-romano-con-cresta-replica-D_NQ_NP_780391-MLM26881411282_022018-F.webp
81ead298-622d-4e79-90b7-77cafc5d8fe6.jpg

Here is my rework on some empire troops. (realistic way)

You can see the images by clicking the links.

"Menavlion Infantry"
"Menavlion Infantry with Improved Armor perk"
"Legionary"
"Legionary with Improved Armor perk"
"Archer Militia"
"Palatine Guard"
"Palatine Guard with Improved Armor perk"

Last edited:
why don't add the lorica segmentata style to the legionary?
With a little change if is necessary.
main-qimg-991eb15fecfe85416cbc5ad7f8904aa4.webp
casco-romano-imperial-con-cresta-cod-h13-n1-500x500.jpg
whetstone-cutlery-casco-oficial-romano-con-cresta-replica-D_NQ_NP_780391-MLM26881411282_022018-F.webp
81ead298-622d-4e79-90b7-77cafc5d8fe6.jpg

Does not fit the timeline, and outdated.
Roman army\Byzantine "Calradic Empire" in this time was based on elastic warfare it means holding as much as they can till the Cataphracsts will do the heavy duty
The empire is heavy infantry army and heavy Cav army the army hold as much as they can till the Cataphracs flank or hit in the back
The legionary needs to be equipment with latest armor to hold the enemy line.

Last edited:
pls don't change the khans guard armor and veteran armor, my favorite armors in the game
im planning to master archery just to play these two classes
the rest i dont care.....

I've been following this thread for a long time but didn't find the time to post although I have a lot to say.
There is a few classes/units that I like a lot in the game when it comes the look, especially Aseraï veteran and beduin, Khuzait lancer and guard and Battanian horseman. But overall there are too many flaws: anachronisms, clichés, inconsistensies and ugliness. Warband often did better to be honest.
While suggestions made on this thread sometimes improved some of these aspects, they sometimes also worsened them, especially when it comes to anachronisms and clichés.

Let's start with the vanilla design.
First, I don't understand why the devs said they wanted to portray the Aserais as pre-Islamic Arabs: not only does it no fit the timelime of Bannerlord (8th-11th century/late Dark Ages) but also we barely know how Arabs looked by that time. Thus it's not a surprise that Aserais ended up as clichés of medieval "Saracens", wrapped in some muddy leather to give them an older vibe.
Clichés among Aserais are mostly the conical helmets, the curved swords and turbans wrapped around helmets. While all of these existed, they were not that widespread, especially in the timeline of the game. I think all of these elements should be limited to one class.
Mamluk's helmet is particularly unoriginal beside being uglily made, which is a shame for such an important class/unit. Guard's "donut armor" are downright hideous and quite unrealistic, I don't even understand how such a horrible thing made its way up to the beta. The adarga is a great and original idea, however it is anachronistic, at least in this bivalve shape which appeared in the 14th century (and lasted up to the 19th century in Mexico).
By contrast, Veterans are a great example of a well-done class: they don't fit the Saracen cliché, they mostly fit the timeline and they are beautiful. Beduin are also a great looking class - yes they are cliché but clichés are not necesarily inaccurate.
To conclude with the Aserais, I think the devs should dump this "pre-Islamic Arabs" nonsense and freely take their inspiration from the 8th to 11th century Arab empires from Spain to Persia, which offer rich and various sources of inspiration.

Vlandians are almost totally missed. While I expected some Norman/early feudal looking warriors, we got something barely different from Warband's Swadians. Because the devs mostly based them on 13th century Western Europe: kettle hats, coat of plates, transitional helms, heater shields, mail caparisons & cie. Talewords, seriously..?
The Bayeux Tapestry would have been an amazing main source! Combined with others from all around Western Europe up to Norman Sicily for some exoticism, we could have got something fabulous. Instead, we got copies of Swadians, again filled with some ugly leather to make them look older. As said above, we did not even get the siculo-norman helmet of the game cover...
Although it's anachronistic, I still like the sergeant design (around 1200 AD). But it would indeed rather fit a knight. Also it has a big inconsistency: why isn't the hood worn? Normally you put something on your head (hood, mail coif or whatever) then your helm. Why would one removes his hood before putting his helm? It makes no sense at all and isn't convincing aesthetically. Same for sharpshooter's 10 cm thick shields. The knight's faceplate helmet is rather ugly also, which I regret, but anyway I think Vlandians should be remade from scratch.
(Don't have the time for the other factions, anyway I'm less qualified to speak about them.)

Now in regard to the suggestions, congrats to all those who posted theirs. I was very impressed by some, especially from Terco_Viejo.
But again, too many clichés and anachronisms. I've seen the Khula Khud type of helmet suggested several times for the Aserais on the thread: it's the most cliché Islamic helmet ever, and is actually an Indo-Persian model dating from.. 17th-19th centuries. Again for Aserais, suggestions with all the classes/units having a turban wrapped over a conical helmet, Ottoman armors, etc.
For the Empire, always suggestions for armors and equipments belonging to the Classical era (see just above my post).
For the Vlandians, late medieval knights (last post of the previous page for example).
Etc.
You guys should rather stick to sources closer to the game timeframe, don't make it even more inconsistent.

I'm short in time, but I hope my post is enough clear. Will try some suggestions later.

@Al_Mansur
You know, mate, I'm on the same wavelength as you. The problem is that the item pool is a real tutifruti and offers little room for manoeuvre; the only thing we can do is try to arrange the elements in a rational way.
As for Taleworlds' aesthetics, it's very tied to the hands and in the MP and SP loadouts that takes its toll. I would also remove many items, but I doubt that Taleworlds will do it at this point ... and regarding the aesthetics ... we can give our opinion, references, recommendations and suggestions, but the last word is only from them.

Terco basically summed it up quite nicely, him and I are on 100% synchrony ? There are some other not insta-visible issues that make the problems worse.
As if we all don't know what we think should be a good concept inspiration for each faction.

As much as i like history and for it to be portrayed realistically, historical accuracy is not some holy grail we should unconditionally strive for, but for Taleworlds' and Bannerlords sake, what most people would enjoy seeing,all the while making consistent and sensible choices, while still being in line with the Mount & Blade low-fantasy nature.

Some of the concept suggestions by us here are over the top,true, but intentionally so, because if you want a stone to fall the furthest it can, you throw it high in the air, with all your strenght, not directly aiming for that exact spot.

In that matter, i think we as fans can be satisfied and proud of our impact on visuals this far.

Last edited:
Whenever someone starts complaining about Bannerlord and the complain is realism or historical based I just stop reading, what is the point for real

@Terco_Viejo @Piconi
Thank you for your replies. I got all your points. Anyway I'm not that mad about these bad choices Taleworlds made as it will be easy to fix with modding.
On a last note, I would not call Calradia a low-fantasy world, but rather a realistic historically-inspired fictional one. This is of course one tricky concept to understand for some low IQ people wandering here.

@Terco_Viejo @Piconi
Thank you for your replies. I got all your points. Anyway I'm not that mad about these bad choices Taleworlds made as it will be easy to fix with modding.
On a last note, I would not call Calradia a low-fantasy world, but rather a realistic historically-inspired fictional one. This is of course one tricky concept to understand for some low IQ people wandering here.
>uses the term IQ
Yeah thats like having an anime profile picture these days, now I think having an anime profile picture is actually more respectable
inspired fictional
I'll have a big large OK larper

There is numerous Armagan Yavuz interwiews saying M&B is very much linked with history, here a Rock Paper Shotgun extract from this interwiew: rockpapershotgun mount-and-blade-2-bannerlord-interview

RPS: How do you balance historical realism and entertainment? Medieval life wasn’t all fun and games…

Yavuz: First of all, we are very much interested in history and we’ve learned a lot while making the game. Steve Negus, our writer, is a super history nerd and a great source of knowledge. There are a lot of really interesting, knowledgeable people in our community as well.
We aim to keep the game balanced between fun and realism. What’s important is that whatever mechanics we use are believable within the world we’ve created. We try to use history as a source of inspiration rather than a script to follow. But we’re always surprised by the number of inspiring ideas that come from historical research. As we dig into it, we find so much that we can use.

M&B is not low fantasy (there is no fantasy elements at all in it). It is simply fictional inspired by history. You should try to write or modify an article in Wikipedia before bash it, you will see it is very much controlled and that you can't write anything without strong sources.

Bruh, you're complaining that an infantry has a chainmail and nooo wait they didnt used chainmails, only cavalry did, do you really consider it something really important you should complain about? That is just pure nitpick. If they actually wanted to follow the true ****ing world they wouldn't be making the game in a fictional continent called Calradia. And if you dont believe they would be taking liberties, especially in such little facts that could be missed by anyone - and that no one cares except for history enthusiasts such as you - just because they're more closer to "reality" than other games then you're way out place honestly, this is like all of you said, fiction, based on history but fiction in the end

Last edited:
The real problem is, in that time most of the equipment were the same.
Early medieval time did not have huge innovations in armor and weapons, it took them 200 years to get to the point, when we see leaps every 20 years.
The main problem was the fall of the roman empire and the roman knowledge the trading routes were shut,Crusades brought it back.
So if they will make armor based on only early medieval time, its going to be dull and grey.
That`s why i think they did the Mishmash with other time to put some flavour.

Is it just me or do the stronger units have like huge and broad shoulders, and armour that rests upon them also appears to be clumsily big? Doesnt bother me much, but reminds me of the Viking conquest dorito torsos.

Back
Top Bottom