Dear Taleworlds, Is there any way you can remove the 2048 unit cap on battle size for the game?

Users who are viewing this thread

The BattleSize mode is currently NOT working with latest patch. This is the suggested fix:
Enable somehow "Max" number of troops, this will count the number of agents "troops+horses" on both size and will start a battle with Max number who will not cause crush. Then reinforcement should work... Hope Taleworld listen to this and will fix it, Thanks :smile:
The BattleSize mod is working for me on 1.5.9.

I pray that Taleworlds actually read this and remove this limit of 2048 for modders and mod user. I'm not talking about base game for low performance systems. My system could run 20k troops on totalwar and more than 2k troops on bannerlord.
I play many battles that has 2k troops , 1K mine and 1k AI opponents w/o horse though. I hope that Taleworlds could remove this lame limit 2048. so we the one w/ high performance pcs could mod mod beyond it. This crash is lame. I'm current running 75 mods and I mod the battering ram and siege tower to make the gate stronger (140 hits in 9 minutes) each battle w/ 4000 (1k each side+ reinforcement) epic. my siege battle takes 24-30 minutes.

I don't personally write engine code but I've done some rather low-level work and this sounds much more like a hard-crash due to an overflow or something on a buffer/array rather than a performance limitation directly. When working on code that needs to run as fast as possible that might be acceptable in exchange for considerable speed increases and the "2048" number does not correlate with someone just using too small of a data type. Now obviously, I can't actually know directly what's happening, but when you're programming an engine you're typically using rather "dangerous" methods and trying to maximize the throughput, and you will be doing buttloads of math on matrices. In your CPU you have several layers of cache, higher levels being faster but smaller. They're most likely doing some kind of 2048x2048 matrix multiplication for something related to the entities (E.G pathfinding), the smaller the matrix, generally the more efficient especially if you can fit loaded rows of it into the smaller but faster levels of cache. You can look it up online but for example 4096x4096 (the next size up) is generally benchmarking >3x slower. So they could for example implement something where it scales the size based on the number of entities, but then you would get factors of worse performance from whatever this is possibly to the point of it being unplayable and they might've just said 2048 is more than we'll ever need so might as well just keep it simple and who knows how much of the code is based on this assumption. Solution could also for example be find some way that doesn't require a direct increase based on the number but that's a lot more work than just changing a couple of numbers and also might add overhead for lower end systems. I'm just guessing of course since I don't have access to the code but I suspect it's not as simple as just "increase number" without other detrimental effects especially with regards to performance, could even be Taleworlds didn't write whatever is crashing but benchmarked it and came to the same conclusion anyways. Would love a Taleworlds engineer who worked on the engine to enlighten us though.

Taleworld is ignoring the players community requests and are living in their own dream world where they believe they know the best for you. I personally, was a great fan of the game until they made this game unplayable and annoying. I uninstalled the game months ago and I am not going to buy any of Taleworlds product again. if you don't want to be disappointed I recommend you do the same. There are a lot of game development brands out there who really care about their customers.

Im not hating their product, compared to how game looked at start, they improved it a lot.
also mount and blade is one of its kind, code something else yourself if you dislike it

For most people 1000 troops on field is enough

I just want to hear explanation from developer (I dont see reason for it to keep secret)

however
taleworld is ignoring the players community requests and are living in their own dream world where they believe they know the best for you
that is true

Last edited:
It would be nice if they could remove the engine limitation for modders, imagine the kind of rigs people are having now as well as the ones they will have in a couple of years. 3000+ Units should not be unrealistic at that point.

@Dejan I talked about this to a engine dev at Gamescom 2022 and he was thinking that it could be doable ☝️(if I remember well)

Could you please bring this up at some point ?
For the years to come, removing this limitation could be very beneficial for high end PCs while playing with some mods 👀

@Dejan I talked about this to a engine dev at Gamescom 2022 and he was thinking that it could be doable ☝️(if I remember well)

Could you please bring this up at some point ?
For the years to come, removing this limitation could be very beneficial for high end PCs while playing with some mods 👀
In 2016 they made similar comments at a couple conventions that as CPU technology developed the game's battle size would scale with it. But they also said they were in the finishing touches stage that year, and that it was going to be out in some form that year. The game they showed off did look pretty cool, wonder when it'll get released.

They should really make the cap more flexible. I dont know where the limits of the engine are but with the battle size mod you can already run double (?) the units on the battlefield with no issues for high end pcs

Yeah I can have 2000 agents on the battlefield without issues... but corpses cause the game to freeze and use 100% of my cpu until I force it to close, no matter the battle size. I don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom