TaleWorlds News: New News Necessary for the OT Neophytes

Users who are viewing this thread

Replying here I google "involuntary manslaughter", to see if that was the right term...

ivgUk.jpg
:iamamoron:

As if he doesn't likely feel bad enough for accidentally killing someone and seriously injuring another, now people are going out of their way to find possibly off-colour tweets of his questioning, of all things, the necessity of police brutality.

Far be it for me to sympathize with an ultra-rich celebrity but what's your point in bringing that up?

**** the internet.
I don't actually feel as bad for Baldwin as I probably should, more so for Hutchins and her family. I guess the way I feel about Baldwin is mostly because I think he's an arrogant POS, calls his 11-year-old daughter a "rude, thoughtless little pig", but aside from that this incident involves gross negligence on his part. For one, he's the producer, not just a humble little actor following orders, and two, if he followed basic firearm safety procedures this wouldn't have happened, but actors don't know anything about firearms so it's not surprising. It doesn't matter if someone hands you a gun and says "it's unloaded". You still clear it yourself. Much less point it at someone and pull the trigger. As I understand this wasn't even during filming, it was just rehearsal. The media calls it a "prop gun" but if it can load and fire live rounds, it's not a prop. It's a firearm. Don't forget either that accidental discharges happened multiple times beforehand, God, who was part of the production team again to let this happen? Oh yes, Baldwin.

I thought the tweet was mildly funny but mostly just ironic.

You're saying all actors handling guns are responsible for checking they're safe to use, even if they're not the ones loading them?
How would they tell if it's blanks or sharps? Basically everyone would have to fire in the air or at a target before filming.
Surely only a professional in the field of firearms safety should be responsible. Otherwise you'll just have ignorant actors constantly fiddling with firearms, which is probably more dangerous.
I don't see how you can put the responsibility on actors to ensure the safety of guns on set.

You're saying Balwin was responsible for the production team. But it did have an armourer. He's not responsible for checking everyone on the team is doing their job properly.
Sounds like they were following protocol, but the many people walking out shortly before the incident (bringing in new people) muddies the story.
The investigation is still ongoing so no one should be blamed yet.
However, it's disturbing to hear the guns were used for practice (shooting beer cans) between takes. Didn't think 'functioning' guns were even allowed.

You're saying all actors handling guns are responsible for checking they're safe to use, even if they're not the ones loading them?
How would they tell if it's blanks or sharps? Basically everyone would have to fire in the air or at a target before filming.
Surely only a professional in the field of firearms safety should be responsible. Otherwise you'll just have ignorant actors constantly fiddling with firearms, which is probably more dangerous.
I don't see how you can put the responsibility on actors to ensure the safety of guns on set.

You're saying Balwin was responsible for the production team. But it did have an armourer. He's not responsible for checking everyone on the team is doing their job properly.
Sounds like they were following protocol, but the many people walking out shortly before the incident (bringing in new people) muddies the story.
The investigation is still ongoing so no one should be blamed yet.
However, it's disturbing to hear the guns were used for practice (shooting beer cans) between takes. Didn't think 'functioning' guns were even allowed.
If someone is to leave the safety procedures "up to the experts", and is not highly conscious of the universal safety procedures for firearms, they shouldn't be handling a firearm. You can tell blanks apart from real rounds fairly easily, without firing them. Even still, nobody should be attempting to dry fire it without checking and clearing it of blanks or live rounds, it doesn't matter. And secondly, you should never be pointing real guns at people, loaded or unloaded, if it is part of the filming you can ergo that rule temporarily, but obviously with the proper precautions. This incident however was in rehearsal. I blame the people who are supposed to be responsible for the firearms just as much if not more, but clearly, Baldwin grossly violated all the rules of firearm safety himself. Had he been responsible with firearms this would not have happened, even if all those other people before failed miserably too. What I'm saying is that actors really should know how to safely hold a firearm.

The safety of the use of a firearm rests in the person holding it and controlling it, not someone standing nearby. Thus, the person handling the firearm should be taught to be safe with it, and have it drilled into them.

Anyone who has been trained to handle firearms will tell you that you check and clear the weapon of ammunition upon handling it when there is no intention to use it, regardless if a person who handed it to you tells you it's unloaded. This is like, gun safety 101. Guns are actually shockingly easy to **** up with, it is not hard to get complacent with the safety and danger of the things. It's just a slight pull of the finger, and forgetfulness to clear the chamber and magazine. I would much rather actors be pretty proficient with firearms if they're using real ones even with just blanks, it's not only much safer to have responsible actors, but it looks far better on film when they actually know how to handle a firearm. The majority of actors just look like ****e with them.

But standard firearms safety can't apply here since the weapons actually have (dummy) bullets in them, and the actors need to pretend they're using them, aiming at others. They can't clear the chamber and keep the safety on.
You're saying actors need to learn to distinguish between dummy rounds and 'sharp' rounds, and must check that every time they're handed a gun.
Maybe that's easy, I don't know. It will certainly require some firearms safety courses for actors.

But again, the investigation is still ongoing, so whether the proper safety measures were upheld or nor remains to be seen.
It'll be an interesting case to follow since the responsibility will be placed somewhere (presumably) and maybe - as you say - partially on the actors handling the guns.

Last edited:
"This could have been avoided if everyone on set had a gun. At the very least, every film production should employ armed guards for the camera crew."
- your friendly pro-gun people

Also this:

Last edited:
The safety of the use of a firearm rests in the person holding it and controlling it, not someone standing nearby. Thus, the person handling the firearm should be taught to be safe with it, and have it drilled into them.
So why not use this as a way to promote more awareness on gun safety and encourage better training, which is pretty much completely absent with the average gun owner in the US when compared to countries that do this properly (e.g., Switzerland)? I find it much more productive than pointing and laughing at an incident that caused the death of someone.

But standard firearms safety can't apply here since the weapons actually have (dummy) bullets in them, and the actors need to pretend they're using them, aiming at others. They can't clear the chamber and keep the safety on.
You're saying actors need to learn to distinguish between dummy rounds and 'sharp' rounds, and must check that every time they're handed a gun.
Maybe that's easy, I don't know. It will certainly require some firearms safety courses for actors.

But again, the investigation is still ongoing, so whether the proper safety measures were upheld or nor remains to be seen.
It'll be an interesting case to follow since the responsibility will be placed somewhere (presumably) and maybe - as you say - partially on the actors handling the guns.
Yes, it's fairly easy. But it does take a bit of effort and care, which I think the safety of people warrants. As far as filming constraints with blanks is concerned, it is an issue, but I see absolutely no reason why every normal precaution and firearm safety measure can't be taken outside of filming. The incident wasn't even during filming. If you're using real firearms for blanks and have to aim them at people during filming, the precautions taken need to be even more, which most movie sets do a decent job of. This shooting happened because of general complacency outside of filming. A lot of films these days also use airsoft guns for scenes involving people shooting at each other.
So why not use this as a way to promote more awareness on gun safety and encourage better training, which is pretty much completely absent with the average gun owner in the US when compared to countries that do this properly (e.g., Switzerland)? I find it much more productive than pointing and laughing at an incident that caused the death of someone.
I don't find the overall event funny, it absolutely sucks. But a part of me can't help but find some of the irony slightly funny. Nonetheless, I agree with you. I've been owning and using firearms for my entire life and I don't think they should be handled by people who are not well trained and semi-experienced with them. But I encourage people to be so. There really should be licensing courses in the US for firearms.

Interesting social experiment. Polls indicate it will be a 'yes'.
What it will actually look like is still unclear.
The proposal would remove the requirement that the city have a police department with a minimum level of funding. If approved, the department would instead use a “comprehensive public health approach” and include licensed peace officers “if necessary."
The department would also no longer be under the sole control of the mayor’s office, allowing the city council to decide how the new department would be structured, led and funded.
In June 2020, a majority of city council members pledged to dismantle the police department, but their amendment never made it onto the ballot.

There are ideas that sounds reasonable (but fewer police officers is a bit disconcerting in a town with such high crime rates).
Under the new department, Fletcher [member of city council] said, law enforcement would be reduced and would focus on responding to violent crime while specialized responders would address mental health, addiction, homeless outreach and violence prevention.

That last quote seems reasonable enough.
Police used entirely as a repressive organ, while delegating soft issues to some kind of community care office (that would quickly learn that it's better to be armed, but not necessarily with the same murderous instinct as real police).

Edit: 57% voted against replacing the police dept with not-quite-police dept.

Last edited:
My organization is considering undertaking a large project for helping refugees most of whom are Arab Muslims with presumably low education. I'm not saying they are going to kill us, but helping them is not something I would want to do (mostly because they are likely backward religious people), so I'll pass that and remain involved with non-refugee stuff. Is this how turning into right-wing conservative feels like?
?

My organization is considering undertaking a large project for helping refugees most of whom are Arab Muslims with presumably low education. I'm not saying they are going to kill us, but helping them is not something I would want to do (mostly because they are likely backward religious people), so I'll pass that and remain involved with non-refugee stuff. Is this how turning into right-wing conservative feels like?
Brutal. Even I wouldn't say that out loud.

Dunno if that link works on desktop or not.
Basically, a trump aide’s document on why one of Trump’s former secretary of defence officials should have been fired.

It’s literally just a list of unethical things he refused to do. So if trump is re-elected, his next sec-def will probably be an under qualified yes man.

I would say it's more elitist than racist. No problems with educated middle class Syrians who are also Muslim, but have shared values and similar worldview (except that they hate the French by default).
Right, but the combination of religion/ethnicity matters no? It sounds like you wouldn't feel quite the same way about uneducated Christians. And in the end elitism is also another form of prejudice and discrimination, it's just another shade of it.

To be clear, I am not judging you or thinking any less of you for it. We all have our prejudices, I sure have plenty myself. The trick is realizing that that's what they are and doing our best to get past them, while at the same time not falling for the rose tinted opposite "that minority was oppressed by X so now everyone from it is by default is a wonderful person".

Right, but the combination of religion/ethnicity matters no? It sounds like you wouldn't feel quite the same way about uneducated Christians. And in the end elitism is also another form of prejudice and discrimination, it's just another shade of it.
It matters a little, that's the racist prejudice part. Though I despise wouldn't want to help uneducated devoted Christians as well. Krishna cultists can suck my ass too.
Edit: I think the source of my disdain is liberal - the uneducated religious Muslims typically treat women as second-class humans, think of non-Muslims as infidels, hate gays and want Jews to suffer or worse. I don't tolerate this in other people, so I'm not going to start now for their sake. This is the exact reason why I see educated middle-class Muslims in a much better light.
To be clear, I am not judging you or thinking any less of you for it. We all have our prejudices, I sure have plenty myself. The trick is realizing that that's what they are and doing our best to get past them, while at the same time not falling for the rose tinted opposite "that minority was oppressed by X so now everyone from it is by default is a wonderful person".
I'm being judged for several posts now and I don't really mind. I'm not proud of this, but it's how it is.
Things in the daily news like the rush at Poland's wall or the terror plot in the UK don't help, though they don't actually matter for most of the legitimate refugees and immigrants of Muslim persuasion.

In other news from the dark places of the internet, alt-righters and similar species are up in arms about the pending removal of the dislike button in Youtube. The obvious target is Youtube's female CEO (of course it's important to alt-righters she's female) and there's a change.org petition to remove her, significantly ending with the phrase "Make YouTube Great Again!".
There are legitimate concerns in Youtube's recent policies of cleaning up their content (that's "censorship" for the "free" speech lovers) and having no dislikes hampers users' flagging of poor content (but it also hampers brigading trolls).
My favorite Youtuber, mans1ay3r got demonetized with the non-offensive policies because of use of adult jokes, which is the point of his videos, and was forced to include stupid ads about headphones to support his childish vulgarity gaming videos that a lot of people love.

The outrage would probably move significant populations of offensive assholes to alternative video sharing sites like Odysee where nasty stuff is okay. The media bubbles continue to get more separated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom