Community Reviews of Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm confused, does playing an ea game for 100's - 1000's of hours in the hope that it will get better somehow invalidate that they're not happy atm?
Playing a game you don't like for hundreds or thousands of hours is absolutely insane. Most people won't even play a game they actually enjoy for more than forty to sixty hours.

Last edited:
You can play a game and not enjoy it, you can play a game and enjoy it until you don't. Is that so hard to grasp? If a person who has 200 hour's in a game and decides to give a negative review, that doesn't invalidate their opinion, if anything it gives them more weight because they're the ones playing it.

You can play a bad game and enjoy it, whilst knowing it's a bad game, and then admitting that it's a bad game. I can't fathom how people use hour's spent to equate the amount of quality they got out of it.

So 30 minutes of gameplay has more value of a review than 100?

I get your point but a sandbox grind should have over 40 plus hours of gameplay. BL can be played for thousands of hours, but what does it offer? Once you try to become a vassal or king you begin to see the limits of diplomacy and just the repeat of stupid campaign ai wars. The lack of so many little features like feast, garrison troop training, town building, lordship options, tournament options, i could go on and on make the game boring and pointless. Add the fact that many restarted new campaigns with new updates to see if changes improved will rack up you total hrs played. This doesn't mean the game is good. More so that we care and are hopeful.
We can get some of these features in mods, what we need is Taleworlds make life easier for modders, they really wanting to improve a game and having added difficulties, either on purpose or by negligence, must be frustrating.
By common sense we must accept that the game will not have more features, it is natural that the company that has already sold what it had to sell, do not bet much more effort to add anything to the game, it can be dishonest,and call it EA was a maneuver of forgiveness, but it is a fact. The game is all there, nothing else will be added except in a future paid Update.

Hey everyone,

I believe in the power of capitalism and as such I believe we can do something to get Taleworlds to talk to us. Currently Bannerlord is sitting on a mostly positive review on Steam although judging by the number of threads on here I believe that number can be altered. What do you guys think about changing your positive reviews to negative reviews or making new negative reviews entirely. Yes, I understand we already bought the game under false pretenses but we can make other people second guess the decision to buy the game if we review bomb the game. What is everyone's thoughts on this?
My review on Steam is positive and will remain positive.
The game is (really slowly, I admit) improving and is already fun.
Bannerlord, just like warband, has this little thing that makes me playing it again and again.
And, so far, even people complaining about the "emptiness" of the game already spent like 100 hours+ on it.
I mean, a lot of fully developed SP games only offer max 50 hours... without any replayablity...

thats not how addiction works..
You can play a bad game (1) and enjoy it, whilst knowing it's a bad game(2), and then admitting that it's a bad game(3).
Change the above with one of the following:
  • take drugs(1) thing(2,3)
  • drink a lot(1) habit(2,3)
  • gamble your salary and savings(1) behaviour(2,3)
It works quite well.

My review on Steam is positive and will remain positive.
The game is (really slowly, I admit) improving and is already fun.
Bannerlord, just like warband, has this little thing that makes me playing it again and again.
And, so far, even people complaining about the "emptiness" of the game already spent like 100 hours+ on it.
I mean, a lot of fully developed SP games only offer max 50 hours... without any replayablity...
Comparing a game like Bannerlord to other SP games is not really fair if the game you have in mind is a story driven game that puts you through designed levels and has nothing that looks like a grind to achieve something.

Besides, hour count does not mean enjoyment, you got plenty of people that ran tests to gather data in order to fix snowballing, you got people that start a new campaign every patch, which means grinding everything again just to access something that was released with the patch and you got people like me that enjoy the early game and get bored when the campaign becomes clubbing AI parties filled with recruits over and over.

And I'm amazed at how you can bring sensitive and real topics like illness (remember ER) and divorce as arguments, into a video game forum...
So for you the frustration you get from this game (not being developped the way you expected...) is at the same level than what you could get when you suffer from illness or after a divorce?

You can play a bad game (1) and enjoy it, whilst knowing it's a bad game(2), and then admitting that it's a bad game(3).
Change the above with one of the following:
  • take drugs(1) thing(2,3)
  • drink a lot(1) habit(2,3)
  • gamble your salary and savings(1) behaviour(2,3)
"I'm amazed at how you can bring sensitive and real topic's like illness into a video game forum"

Playing a game you don't like for hundreds or thousands of hours is absolutely insane. Most people won't play a game they actually enjoy for more than forty to sixty hours.
It's not like I enjoy playing Bannerlord or anything, b-baka.

On a more serious note, I know a certain type of people who play games like it's an obligation. If they don't play X today, they feel like missing out or something. They would pop the game even if they're tired, for example. It's kind of a habit. Could be that. Is it healthy? I don't think so.

Another possible case is this game is actually good (seriously it's got lots of improvements over Warband), but it can be so much better, and that "wasted" potential infuriates people. Game's good and they play them, but boy are they not angry that it's not better.

On a more serious note, I know a certain type of people who play games like it's an obligation. If they don't play X today, they feel like missing out or something. They would pop the game even if they're tired, for example. It's kind of a habit. Could be that. Is it healthy? I don't think so.

Another possible case is this game is actually good (seriously it's got lots of improvements over Warband), but it can be so much better, and that "wasted" potential infuriates people. Game's good and they play them, but boy are they not angry that it's not better.
I think if you really nailed people down - they would admit they enjoy bannerlord for what it is. It is still the best game of it's genre - and even the MP offers something you just can't get anywhere else.

People want the game to be much better is all - and progress has been very very slow; it makes people angry. Just being the best in genre isn't really enough when this genre is basically non-existent outside of this series.

The fact of the matter is - people wouldn't be so angry if they didn't love the game/series and want to see it succeed. I hated DoW 3 and lost all interest despite loving the first two; so I played about 4 hours of it. I didn't play 400 and become an active part of the forum community.

However it does make these review bomb / refund threads look rather silly - no matter how understandable the frustration is. I played the game for 20 days non-stop before I worked out I didn't like it. - now I want my money back! It doesn't really hold up...

I loved Dragon Age 1 - it didn't take me 100 hours of gameplay to work out I didn't like dragon age 2...

Last edited:
Playing a game you don't like for hundreds or thousands of hours is absolutely insane. Most people won't play a game they actually enjoy for more than forty to sixty hours.
I love and hate this game. I love it because the setting and the combat are fantastic. I hate it because most everything else is underwhelming or poorly implemented. I kept playing until recently because I felt like I wanted to help TW improve the game, but when it became apparent that most of my issues weren't going to be address I stopped. I realized that the only way to enjoy the game was to hope that after full release modders could address a lot of the issues in time. Right now I have over 1.2K hours in the game but I dislike it so I guess I'm insane for trying to make BL a better game. :unsure:

Comparing a game like Bannerlord to other SP games is not really fair if the game you have in mind is a story driven game that puts you through designed levels and has nothing that looks like a grind to achieve something.

Besides, hour count does not mean enjoyment, you got plenty of people that ran tests to gather data in order to fix snowballing, you got people that start a new campaign every patch, which means grinding everything again just to access something that was released with the patch and you got people like me that enjoy the early game and get bored when the campaign becomes clubbing AI parties filled with recruits over and over.
I see alot of people comparing total war and CK3 with bannerlord, or wanting the things they loved in those games to be implemented in bannerlord.
For me, this is unfair as well.
My point is that in the end, you enjoyed playing the game for x hours, trough grinding or whatever type of concept the game is offering.
By the way, I agree with you about the mid-late game and the fact that ennemies lords continuously come back with recruit level troops.
From what I could see, it is something that got improved over time, but still need some work.

I think if you really nailed people down - they would admit they enjoy bannerlord for what it is. It is still the best game of it's genre - and even the MP offers something you just can't get anywhere else.

However it does make these review bomb / refund threads look rather silly - no matter how understandable the frustration is. I played the game for 20 days non-stop before I worked out I didn't like it. - now I want my money back! It doesn't really hold up...
So you're saying... we should gather our forums friends and crucify them? Got it.

Well, having real discussions is hard on a public platform. There will always be detractors, and most people lack the skills to hold such discussions. For example, MArda always forwards bug reports from the Support section of the forums, but how many people know that? How many people know to check for existing threads before reporting something?

Ideally we would have threads discussing suggestions, and people would talks about how to implement them in as much details as possible, and its pros and cons. Somebody then would compile the result of the discussion and make a thread in Suggestion for the mods to forward to the team in a brief yet concise manner, but it's something from the realm of dreams.

So you're saying... we should gather our forums friends and crucify them? Got it.

Well, having real discussions is hard on a public platform. There will always be detractors, and most people lack the skills to hold such discussions. For example, MArda always forwards bug reports from the Support section of the forums, but how many people know that? How many people know to check for existing threads before reporting something?

Ideally we would have threads discussing suggestions, and people would talks about how to implement them in as much details as possible, and its pros and cons. Somebody then would compile the result of the discussion and make a thread in Suggestion for the mods to forward to the team in a brief yet concise manner, but it's something from the realm of dreams.
In the forums defence - it did used to be like that. A lifetime ago... much of the frustration has stemmed from the fact that it often feels our feedback is ignored.

Which is 50/50... Block delay and crush-through both went the way of the dodo. Good.... But wasted a bunch of time - when the community was very clear it was a mistake before it was ever even implemented.

lol :3

It's insane for me that anyone has over 1k hours in Bannerlord. It's a pretty shallow game atm, especially if you already played other Mount & Blade games the main gameplay idea is not really that fresh anymore. If it's your first Mount & Blade game, i could understand it.
Also considering it's only 1 year old, you would have to play it almost every day to get that many hours, i cannot imagine doing that :p
I would be bored out of my mind.

Considering Steam reviews, they already made most of the sales and got millions, some negative reviews are pretty pointless at this point and change nothing. Even if the game suddenly only has a mixed rating at Steam, that doesn't change anything - TW will not make faster patches :p

Right now I have over 1.2K hours in the game but I dislike it so I guess I'm insane for trying to make BL a better game.
You said yourself it felt like you were being ignored by TW though, that they weren't communicating or focusing their priorities around popular requests. Correct me if I'm mixing you up with someone else. That's fifty days out of your life, spent doing something you didn't enjoy, for people who haven't shown the slightest appreciation or even bare acknowledgement of your efforts.

So yeah, I would say that's crazy.

I see alot of people comparing total war and CK3 with bannerlord, or wanting the things they loved in those games to be implemented in bannerlord.
For me, this is unfair as well.
My point is that in the end, you enjoyed playing the game for x hours, trough grinding or whatever type of concept the game is offering.
By the way, I agree with you about the mid-late game and the fact that ennemies lords continuously come back with recruit level troops.
From what I could see, it is something that got improved over time, but still need some work.
And those complaints focus on the part that once you get past a certain point in your save, there isn't much to do and inspiration could be drawn from mechanics from other games, like Crusader Kings. I personally think the amount of factions in Bannerlord is too small for any meaningful diplomacy, religion and other stuff some people suggested, but there other things that could be added to improve the vassal and ruler aspects of the game. At some point you reach the cap of whatever you decided to and you are left with either becoming a vassal or creating your kingdom.

Those complaints are caused mainly by TW not providing an honest and clear answer into what their overall vision for the game is. From the things that are suggested time and again, we can see that people expect more RPG elements to be added, but if we look at an answer from Callum in some thread we get something like "Bannerlord is an action game with a sprinkle of RPG elements", the problem is that it is just some comment not an official statement.

And since there is no statement as to what type of game TW expects Bannerlord to be, you have people creating threads with very well written suggestions with drawings, code samples, video comparisons and so on that naturally attract a lot of attention from other forum members generating lots of support and those threads are never addressed, which also naturally makes people feel like they are being ignored, which in turn becomes negativity.

The game is lacking if you think about all the missed opportunities or promises, but let's be fair here, it is still a good game. Or at least its good enough for me not to give it a negative review.

Right now I have over 1.2K hours in the game but I dislike it so I guess I'm insane for trying to make BL a better game. :unsure:

Sorry but that's pure insanity. How old are you that you can afford to waste 1200 hours in a game you dont like? I have about 600 hours in my most played game, and that's a game i absolutely love.

Back
Top Bottom