New Germanic/Dacian objects

Users who are viewing this thread

There are mainy kinds of  armour that aren't studded, yet can fall under the generic lamens view of "studded leather". There are some forms of ring mail that use 1 inch or larger rings connected with leather over a leather cuirass such as this:

http://www.albion-swords.com/images/armor/mercenary/ringmail-black1.jpg

http://www.loveduckleather.com/Websites/loveduckleather/PhotoGallery/410801%5Ccrossbow%20armor.jpg

There's also other armour types like this scythian wears that used pectorals and applique metal disks. Similar to the idea of studded leather armour.

scythian_leather.jpg

Cheers

Regarding the Scythian, here's the actual find being discussed:
http://vm.kemsu.ru/en/skyth/skyth-pectoral.html
Osprey have re-invented a piece of gold jewellery as armour and leapt to a conclusion about the wearing of fur because of an illustration on the jewellery showing two men with an animal skin. Naughty, naughty Osprey. Again. Their books are pretty but if you take a few minutes to check their sources, you can make up your own mind about what has a sound basis and what's wishful thinking.

as long as we are in agreement that studs are a bad alternative for metal plates, and that the scythian in the pic is not relying on those studs for anything other than decoration, then we are good.

jamoecw said:
sure it is armor, but come on, why would anyone use a cuirass made from people leather?  shouldn't he be using sheep leather?

Because it is more hard-core.  It is just like many Germanics wearing fur of bears or wolves.  It shows that the person was tough enough to kill the animal.  Wearing armor of "people leather" shows you killed someone (or a couple people).  Having it made of sheep leather just shows you had a delicious meal a few months ago.  :wink:

"...as decapitations from the Dacian falx were devastating."  As opposed to the decapitations that the Legion's surgeons could handle? :wink:  Seriously though, these are some of the coolest objects I've seen out of this mod.  I'm really looking forward to playing the culmination of all this work. 

LizardFuel said:
"...as decapitations from the Dacian falx were devastating."  As opposed to the decapitations that the Legion's surgeons could handle? :wink:  Seriously though, these are some of the coolest objects I've seen out of this mod.  I'm really looking forward to playing the culmination of all this work.
Same.
I never knew there were different degrees of decapitation damage, though. :roll:

Ambalon said:
LizardFuel said:
Same.
I never knew there were different degrees of decapitation damage, though. :roll:

Well I suppose it depends on how/where it was cut.

Isn't decapitation (lol, I wrote decaption) completely severing the head? Maybe he meant dismemberment...

Ambalon said:
Isn't decapitation (lol, I wrote decaption) completely severing the head? Maybe he meant dismemberment...

Yeah, probably. Because adding arm and shoulder armor to prevent decapitation doesn't really make sense.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
Ambalon said:

Yeah, probably. Because adding arm and shoulder armor to prevent decapitation doesn't really make sense.
Unless you want to block the falx with your forearm...  :roll:

Disturbedfish said:
out of interest, AlphaDelta, who wrote those passages ? cos you know what most ancient writers are like, talk more **** the most MPs

So where do you recommend getting the information? Digging out the evidence ourselves?

Uh, yeah, I think that's called "archaeology".

For the Germanics you are definitely best off reading Tacitus (though admittedly it is from a period hundreds of years later)....he was surprisingly even-handed for his time and much of what he says is supported by archaeology. 

However, looking at these items shows you guys basically hit the nail on the head.  Now the only question is whether anyone thought of having the Suebi knot as a hairstyle.  It is basically just as important as having pants for them!  Great stuff though, I am looking forward to it.

Skot the Sanguine said:
However, looking at these items shows you guys basically hit the nail on the head.

Thanks. It's been said though that the mod lacks objectivity, and should include 1200 BC Danish helmets for Germania  :roll:

Spongly said:
Disturbedfish said:
out of interest, AlphaDelta, who wrote those passages ? cos you know what most ancient writers are like, talk more **** the most MPs

So where do you recommend getting the information? Digging out the evidence ourselves?

Uh, yeah, I think that's called "archaeology".

Ah. So we should all buy ourselves tickets to Germany, and start shoveling around to see if we can find evidence for our weaponry. I see.

Back
Top Bottom