Outdoor Activities Thread

How much water do you carry for your usual camping trip?

• 1 L / 33.8 Oz.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 1,5 L / 50.72 Oz. (Give or take)

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 2 L / 67.62 Oz.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 3 L / 101 Oz.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 4 L / 135 Oz.

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Maybe the price was marked down because it was the last one in the store, I doubt the shipping cost is significantly reduced just because I live 123km away from Mora.

I like to drive my car to the middle of nowhere and leave it for the day and hike.
This is from last autumn, I tend to pack very lightly, as you can see!
fjosqb.jpg
Made camp by a lake, wanted to watch the sundown while eating supper. It's very beautiful during autumn in Sweden.
hvs6kh.jpg
This is from when me and a friend wandered a trail.
t03ons.jpg
Made camp after 10km and had supper, it was a starry night and we had nice talks. Good times
33kaxd1.jpg

12540044_1036650929714470_990266098_n.jpg

It's not as heavy as it looks but it's awfully hard to take it on and off.

I think it's an old allround axe from Wetterlings the handle has been replaced so there's no way of being sure but last time I was there I found one that was near identical apart from the polls/butts.

NixLGtd.jpg
C5aPgOX.jpg

Edit : What would you call the Mora 749? A Bowie or a Seax-style? The curved back is not sharp but just as the rest of the back. The knife itself has a Scandi grind and is not very broad had it be a Bowie.
yyg029mod_zpsf0f663cc.jpg

How is the grinding on the axe? Looks to me to be a little too broad, good for cleaving, but you mostly use it for cutting in the wilds.
I am no expert at all, but I'd say it's much closer to the bowie!

What I use when in the great outdoors. It's modest, but they're robust and keeps a good edge even after much stress.
DSC_1829.jpg
[spoiler='tis my favorite. Good for everything from cleaving wood, carving and preparing food ]
DSC_1833.jpg
[/spoiler]
DSC_1927.jpg
DSC_1935.jpg
DSC_1937.jpg

I just got it grinded about a week or so actually.  :ohdear:

What's up with the black knife to the far left? Sami knife?

I trust you know what you're doing then friend  :smile:
It's hard to see the sizes on the pictures, but the black one is around 30 cm long, so I'd rather count it as some kind of machete hybrid. The second one is roughly half the length, so they're pretty robust knifes. As I said I use both of them for cleaving wood.

Edit: Also, the curved knife isn't some cool "tactical special ops murder" knife, it's for gutting small game. In case someone wondered :smile:

I'm guessing it's a Sami "chopper", I've just never seen one in such a non-traditional style.

Back to Seax vs Bowie, my Mora seems to be a weird hybrid but I would say it's more of a seax seeing as : 1. The handle is curved, Bowie handles are always straight. 2. The sheath covers a part of the handle, Bowie sheaths always end at the finger guard. 3. The back is flat, Bowies are known for having a sharp edge which results as very good hunting knives. 4. The blade is not thin but quite a lot thinner than a Bowie. 5. The front of the blade has no flat surface, which Bowies near always have.

Gestricius said:
NixLGtd.jpg
Why are you trying to tease me with a kitchen knife?

Really nice stuff all round here though. Especially that knife of your Thendes. Where'd you get that?

I had an idea for a cheap alternative to water-resistant matchboxes, so I uploaded a video to Youtube. Please go easy on me, it's my first time.  :ohdear:  :fruity:

Back
Top Bottom