Your Comp Specs

• Thread starter Chocolate Donut
  • Start date

Users who are viewing this thread

Well I could suggest the Corsair Hydro series CPU coolers, not too pricey as far as I know and easy enough to install. At least the larger ones like the H110 I own won't fit into every case though, and I had to drill a hole or two and cut a piece of metal out from my Thermaltake Chaser Mk1

Arvenski said:
hirovard said:
Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI IMPACT
CPU: Intel I5 4670k quad core 3.4ghz
Ram: 8gb ddr3
Graphics card: Nvidia geForce GTX 770 2gb (water cooled)
HDD: 120gb SSD (windows) 1TB Sata ((I think)Game drive)

anyone got suggestions on how to stop it over heating?
That sounds a lot like what I'm looking at buying. How does it perform, gaming-wise (heat problems aside)?

runs pretty well. Games run on high-max graphics with good fps, depending on the game (obviously)

I would suggest to be generous with your case to avoid heating issues. justtaking a side panel off mine reduced temps from 60 for cpu degrees and 65-70 degrees for gpu  to about 50 degrees for both

Kevlar said:
hirovard said:
anyone got suggestions on how to stop it over heating?

Is the GPU in a full watercooling loop or an all in one setup?

Cases only help to a certain point since they mostly just allow the installation of more fans and better airflow (most of which any case now provides).

If you have room in the case you could add more fans or look into upgrading current ones with faster RPM ones.

If your CPU is not able to get a waterblock (if your GPU has all in one cooling) you could look at a better CPU cooler if it is your CPU that is overheating, especially if you are still running the stock cooler which is abysmal.

No clue this is what it looks like inside

44881919-4797-4AE4-A0BE-A20F6C93B320.jpg

Its a tiny case and once i have the money i will get a bigger one

hirovard said:
runs pretty well. Games run on high-max graphics with good fps, depending on the game (obviously)
Nice. That's exactly what I want to hear. :razz:

How quiet is it? Does the watercooling help keep the noise levels down? I ask because when my laptop's running hot it can sound like a jet engine, and that can be annoying to listen to.

I'm sorry to keep asking questions, but since your rig and the hopefully-soon-to-be-my-rig are so similar, I'm curious. 

Arvenski said:
hirovard said:
Nice. That's exactly what I want to hear. :razz:

How quiet is it? Does the watercooling help keep the noise levels down? I ask because when my laptop's running hot it can sound like a jet engine, and that can be annoying to listen to.

I'm sorry to keep asking questions, but since your rig and the hopefully-soon-to-be-my-rig are so similar, I'm curious.

Its pretty silent. I sometimes mistake it for being off, untill i realise im actually playing a game on it  :lol:

Splintert said:
Desktop:
Processor: Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.7GHz

Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

RAM Memory: 8GB 1333Mhz

Hard Drive: 1TB 7,200 RPM

Hard Drive 2(optional): -

Graphics Card: Radeon HD 6850 @ 850/1080 MHz

Case(optional): Some ATX case

Monitor(optional): Acer S230HLAbii Black 23" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LED Monitor 250 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1

Processor: Intel i7-3770k @4.5GHz

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

RAM Memory: 8GB 1600Mhz

Hard Drive: 128GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro Series

Hard Drive 2(optional): 1TB Samsung HD103SJ 7,200RPM

Graphics Card: Radeon R9 290

Case(optional): Some ATX case

Monitor(optional): Acer S230HLAbii Black 23" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LED Monitor 250 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1

@Hirovard

That doesn't look like it has watercooling. That is an Asus dcuii card, it has heat pipes but those don't contain watercooling.

@Splintert

You will probably want to look into an aftermarket cooler for the 290 if it starts to make your room hotter. I had one but returned it because it was to hot and loud (also had blackscreen issue but that was fixed with a  driver revision).

An artic cooler accelero would do wonders for that card. If you take a pic of your case I could probably tell you what it is.

Splintert said:
Why not? ATX is large. I just don't know what the model of the case is.

Trust me. When you are using high end parts for your computer, tower cases (at least Mid-Tower) with sufficient space and cooling are much better.

Mine looks something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

Trust me, my GPU which is notorious for high temperatures up in the 90s C doesn't even get to 90. It's literally one of the largest video cards commercially available and there's room to spare on the ends.

hirovard said:
Kevlar said:
@Hirovard

That doesn't look like it has watercooling. That is an Asus dcuii card, it has heat pipes but those don't contain watercooling.

Some numb skull told me it was :/

Hopefully not whoever sold it to you. Here is your card :

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX770DC2OC2GD5/

To have watercooling on a gpu you would need to either modify an all in one cooler, buy a waterblock and attach it to a watercooling loop or buy an expensive card with a waterblock pre attached. There is an Nvidia card that has both air and watercooling capabilities but it's a bit more expensive.
Splintert said:
Mine looks something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

My old, old case. Probably one of the most efficient cases to come out at the time. There are 3 or 4 variants of that case now so you may just have the haf 922 (mid tower) or something.

I'm debating whether or not to sell my cards to get 290s or just keep them. 290s are finally back to sane levels of pricing again.

Kevlar said:
hirovard said:
Kevlar said:
@Hirovard

Some numb skull told me it was :/

Hopefully not whoever sold it to you. Here is your card :

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX770DC2OC2GD5/

To have watercooling on a gpu you would need to either modify an all in one cooler, buy a waterblock and attach it to a watercooling loop or buy an expensive card with a waterblock pre attached. There is an Nvidia card that has both air and watercooling capabilities but it's a bit more expensive.

nah, it was a family member when i was just checking to see if all the fans were working. they saw the piping on my card and told me it shouldn't have any issues because its water cooled...

I really need to put off a more "leave me the **** alone" aura  :evil:

Kevlar said:
My old, old case. Probably one of the most efficient cases to come out at the time. There are 3 or 4 variants of that case now so you may just have the haf 922 (mid tower) or something.

I'm debating whether or not to sell my cards to get 290s or just keep them. 290s are finally back to sane levels of pricing again.

It's full, for sure.

I'm well beyond pleased with my single 290. Fortunately I got it before the price hike, best $400 I've spend on this PC. Arma 3, Crysis 2, Far Cry 3, Metro 2033/Last Light nothing even touches it at 1920x1080.

Don't think I ever posted my newer PC here. I bought it from a guy in Austin a year ago next month for 300 bucks.
Processor:
AMD Phenom II x6 3.0ghz
Motherboard:
Some Gigabyte mobo, micro atx.
RAM Memory:
8GB DDR3
Hard Drive:
1.5TB Seagate.
Hard Drive 2(optional):

Graphics Card:
AMD Radeon HD 6770
Case(optional):
Raidmaster cheapo case I got after my old one broke.

Splintert said:
Kevlar said:

It's full, for sure.

I'm well beyond pleased with my single 290. Fortunately I got it before the price hike, best $400 I've spend on this PC. Arma 3, Crysis 2, Far Cry 3, Metro 2033/Last Light nothing even touches it at 1920x1080.

I got one for $450 after tax when they first came out. I was on watercooling at the time so going from a nuclear sub to a jet was crazy.

Did you get a third party one or do you have the reference design?

If you got it at launch there is a good chance you got one of the better binned ones (capable of becoming a 290X with a bios change).

It's an HIS reference card, I don't remember exactly when I got it, just before it went up to 500-600. It does seem to be quite a good bin, it easily stays below 90C without going much higher than 47% fan speed. I think for a card like this it's much better to have the reference blower design for a fan shooting heat out the back of the case. Who wants that 90C air inside, cooking everything else? Not I.

Splintert said:
It does seem to be quite a good bin, it easily stays below 90C without going much higher than 47% fan speed.

These cards have a dual bios design, on the first selection they will not go higher than 47% fan speed and I believe also lock down the voltages, on the second bios fan speed goes all the way to 100% and voltages are unlocked.

Here is a thread on how to make your 290 into a 290x. I was asking when you purchased your card because a lot of the older 290s that were sold were just lower binned 290xs. Basically a free upgrade if it works.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1443242/the-r9-290-290x-unlock-thread

Back
Top Bottom